* If this Peter Roskam quote gets picked up, it might do some damage in the closing days…
[Roskam] asked in the Pioneer Press interview why women can have abortions if rapists cannot be executed.
Here’s the response from Roskam’s Democratic opponent…
Lumping women who have abortions in with rapists and the death penalty? It’s offensive, demeaning to women and just downright creepy. It tells you all you need to know about Peter Roskam and what he thinks about women, even if he really doesn’t want you to know it.
*** UPDATE 1 *** [Posted by Kevin Fanning] Adding a quote forwarded to us from the Pioneer Press:
Roskam: “You know, my position is the same as Henry Hyde’s. And Henry Hyde put it best when he said, when somebody is the victim of a crime, the law currently says that a rapist can’t be put to death. That’s the law. A rapist under the court doctrines can’t be put to death. He said, why is it that the baby who is the result of that criminal behavior can be put to death? He said, isn’t that a sad, sad thing. So my feeling is, look, in the case of that, that’s the hard case, right? That’s the ultimate painful and difficult case. And what we need to do is love that person and encourage them and support them. But once people are categorized by how they were conceived and the circumstances of their conception, you end up going down a route that ultimately I don’t think we want to be.”
* Young voters could rock the polls this year
* More than 40,000 turn out for early voting - Naperville home to busiest DuPage polling place
* LaHood unhappy with Schock
* Did Schock fib to a reporter?
* Newcomer, 18th district candidate says she’s not seeking political career
* Schock: Energy, defense, taxes the big issues
* Callahan demands answers from Schock while Durbin asks for funds
* Congressional hopefuls differ on energy, Iraq
* Two seek to unseat Shimkus in U.S. House district