Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Blagojevich: Feds’ alleged taping “smells like Nixon and Watergate”
Blagojevich: Feds’ alleged taping “smells like Nixon and Watergate”

Monday, Dec 8, 2008

* Via the Tribune’s raw video of Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s press conference, we learn that the governor addressed the Tribune’s report that the feds taped some of his conversations…

“If anybody wants to tape my conversations, go right ahead, feel free to do it. I appreciate anybody who wants to tape me openly and notoriously. And those who feel like they wanna sneakily and wear taping devices, I would remind them that it kinda smells like Nixon and Watergate.”

Not sure I quite get that Watergate point, unless the taping was done illegally.

* More…

“This is America. I’d appreciate if you want to tape my conversations, give me a heads-up and let me know.”

That’s not the way prosecutors do things, but whatever.

* On the Tribune revelation that lobbyist and longtime friend John Wyma’s cooperation helped the feds record the guv…

“The Tribune was wrong and very well may have defamed him.”

* And the governor sees a bright side to the taping…

“The good news is, if they’re going to those lengths and extents, if in fact that’s true, that would suggest all the past has been pretty good.”

* When asked about the dark cloud hanging over him…

“I think there’s nothing but sunshine hanging over me.”

* NEW: More quotes at the Tribune.

1. - Pat collins - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 12:40 pm:

nothing but sunshine hanging over me

I think the sunshine source is located somewhat lower than that.

2. - 2ConfusedCrew - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 12:52 pm:

Seems like a good time for this:
    Profile of the Sociopath

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning
    They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
    Feels entitled to certain things as “their right.”

Pathological Lying
    Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
    A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions
    When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation
    Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy
    Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others’ feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
    Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
    Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet “gets by” by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
    Not concerned about wrecking others’ lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
    Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
    Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
    Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

3. - wordslinger - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 12:53 pm:

Very good, Pat.

Yeesh, Nixon and Watergate? Not the history student, is he? I’m sure there are a lot of Mafia types who would have appreciated a heads up on being taped, as well. Interesting law-enforcement technique.

I’ll give him credit, though. He’s out of the bunker and talking tough.

4. - You Go Boy - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 12:53 pm:

For some of the older readers, there was a goofy (and very un-PC song years ago: “They’re Coming to Take Me Away”…..excerpt, “They’re coming to take me away, hee-hee ha-ha ho-ho, to the Funny Farm where Life Is Beautiful ALL THE TIME….” Why does that song come to mind after reading this particular item???

5. - Pot calling kettle - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 12:55 pm:

Let me get this straight. The Gov. thinks that when the FBI tapes someone they should tell them???

“Good morning Governor Blagojevic. This is Agent Smith with the FBI. Just wanted to let you know we’ve tapped your phones and wired a couple of your friends. Please feel free to carry on as you have and when you are asking for contributions in exchange for appointments, speak clearly and directly into the microphone.”

That’s gonna happen.

6. - OneMan - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 1:17 pm:

That sunshine over you is the focused light from the big old magnifing glass the feds have on you.

7. - Secret Square - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 1:18 pm:

You Go, it might be because Blago might as well call himself Napoleon XIV.

8. - Here Comes the Bus - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 1:19 pm:

It is unreal how he can’t help tossing others under the bus at will.

First, he throws a gratuitous shot at Gutierrez - “With regard to the scrutiny, everybody in any high place is under scrutiny, and all you’ve got to do is read (the Tribune) again today and you’ll see that there are a lot of others as well.”

Then, he throws in Rahm for good measure - “That’s the John Wyma I know and its the John Wyma that Rahm Emmanuel knows and a lot of other people know.”

He is a class(less) act.

9. - Excessively rabid - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 1:21 pm:

Sociopath is more of a characterization than a diagnosis (it sure fits, though). Had a conversation with a medical professional a while back where an actual diagnosis was mentioned. Unfortunately I don’t remember all of it but it ended “…with narcissistic personality disorder”. Job one in the new legislative session: remove this bozo.

10. - Carl Nyberg - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 1:37 pm:

While Nixon did order the FBI to illegally tape record and infiltrate political opponents, including anti-war groups this wasn’t what the Watergate scandal was about.

The case was made against Nixon during the Watergate scandal because Nixon recorded himself in the Oval Office. These tapes established Nixon was involved in the burglary at the Watergate Hotel and that he had lied about his involvement.

So, I’m not seeing the parallel Blagojevich is making to Watergate.

11. - Dan S, a Voter and Cubs Fan - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 1:48 pm:

If he allegedly received a “C” in constitutional law, what pray tell did he get in history?

12. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 1:55 pm:

Thank you Carl…took the words right out of my mouth.

Aside from that, what idiot of an elected official voluntarily compares himself to Richard Nixon?

I think the pressure is starting to get to our teflon gov.

13. - Anonymous45 - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:04 pm:

Like from the scene in “When Harry Met Sally” without the groaning, all I can say is “I’ll have what he’s having…”

14. - ArchPundit - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:08 pm:

We forget that when you get past the sleaze adn corruption, he’s also a moron. Trying to make sense of what he is saying assumes that there is any sense there.

15. - North of I-80 - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:09 pm:

IL overhear law is 2-party consent while Federal law is 1-party consent. Think he understands? In his statement, he GAVE his CONSENT to be overheard in future. Nixon analogy is mysterious…. are things coming apart up there?

16. - the Patriot - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:20 pm:

Two words…”insanity defense.”

17. - Carl Nyberg - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:21 pm:

Perhaps this is what Blagojevich means….

He’s saying the feds engaging in surveillance of him as part of a criminal investigation is like Nixon ordering burglars to break into Dem Party headquarters.

I disagree with the analogy. Obviously there’s a difference between law enforcement agencies conducting an investigation of a potential crime and getting judicial approval for surveillance based on probable cause and a politician assembling a team of criminals to break into his opponent’s campaign office.

So, Blagojevich’s analogy might not reflect complete ignorance of history. It’s merely ignorant of criminal law and procedures.

18. - Downstate weed chewing hick - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:23 pm:

Unethical and stupid is a bad combination. One or the other we could live with but this just not working.

19. - Captain Flume - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:36 pm:

What other response would anyone expect the Governor, or anyone who has been the subject of speculation as to the legality his/her activities, to say? Would anyone on this blog, given the same type of coverage say anything much different? Honestly? Really?

20. - Rich Miller - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:38 pm:

===Would anyone on this blog, given the same type of coverage say anything much different? Honestly? Really?===

So, the Nixon thing was okeedokee with you? What about the request that he be given a heads-up before the G tapes him? OK with thee? Honestly? Really?

C’mon.

21. - A Citizen - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:40 pm:

Oh Look! A kitty wearing a wire.

22. - Anonymous - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:52 pm:

In the federal investigative system you only need one-party consent to record a conversation. No court order is needed. This superior tool is one reason most corruption prosecutions are federal. In the state system you’d need to get a court order from a Judge,and show probable cause, which is slow, often difficult, and more apt to leak out.

23. - Captain Flume - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 2:59 pm:

Political answers to political questions are always deflective. Really.

24. - Carl Nyberg - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:00 pm:

Capt Flume, let me try an alternative to the Blagojevich response.

“I’m glad the U.S. Attorney has succeeded in investigating and prosecuting corruption.

“I am disheartened and ashamed that some of this corruption was done to benefit my campaign committee.

“While I pledge to cooperate in providing information that will clarify what did and didn’t happen, on the advice of counsel I am also invoking my rights as a U.S. citizen on some matters. My primary concern is that investigators not get partial information that may look damaging, but actually has a reasonable explanation.

“While being under investigation is stressful I am calmed by my confidence that I will be vindicated. I did not do anything illegal. I am confident that the U.S. Constitution and a competent legal defense team will protect me from being erroneously convicted. And I expect the facts will keep me from being erroneously prosecuted.

“I understand investigators have a job to do. And I want them to move forward quickly. The sooner they complete their investigation the sooner this cloud will be removed from my administration.

“I am hopeful the U.S. Attorney will be able to redeploy the investigators now being used to investigate me to other cases where corruption really hurt people.”

25. - Speaking At Will - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:14 pm:

Good ole Rod rides again! Yeehaw!

As usual, Rod doesn’t call a press conference to deal with the Tribune story, he goes in to get his press pop with the factory workers, then answers a few questions.

Anyone who was innocent of all these allegations would be chomping at the bit to get behind a microphone and lay out all the details of why they are innocent and address this thing head on.

Perhaps the media has been more hard on Blago than he deserves, but he hasnt dont anything to help his own cause.

26. - enrico depressario - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:20 pm:

I want some of what Rod’s smokin’!

27. - DuPage Dave - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:23 pm:

I think he meant to say: “Nothin’ but sunshine headed my way, zip-a-dee doo-dah, zip-a-dee ay.”

28. - Captain Flume - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:27 pm:

Carl Nyberg: your answers work, too. And with the same spirit of honest non-commitment as the answers he is quoted as giving. I think he even may have used the less colorful approach you supplied here in some of his previous denials of culpability. But allusions to Watergate are far more stunning, aren’t they? And if you are in a position that whatever you say is met with a few grains of salt (well, more than a few), why not throw out the smelliest red herring you can come up with?

29. - Speaking At Will - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:33 pm:

FYI

Rod just appeared on Fox News w/ Brit Hume via the phone. Talked all the same talk about the Factory workers.

30. - wordslinger - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:33 pm:

A history lesson to the governor:

Nixon taped Oval Office and telephone conversations. Some of those taped knew (Haleman, Erlichman), most did not.

The significance of the tapes was not the ethical question of taping someone unknowingly, but as evidence in both criminal and Congressional inquiries.

Since the first transcripts in 1974 to regular releases from the Archives to this day, the Nixon Tapes are fascinating, contemporaneous, unfiltered history by the participants. I also recommend tapes released to date from both the Kennedy and Johnson administrations.

The conversations between Johnson and Sen. Rusell regarding Vietnam are heartbreaking, regarding the politics of Civil Rights extraordinary. With Vietnam, Johnson saw no path to victory and no way to pull out. With Civil Rights, he saw himself delivering the formerly Solid South to the GOP for a generation by doing the right thing.

The Kennedy Tapes, regarding the Cuban Missile Crisis, showed how the Best and Brightest were quite logically marching into MADD with the Soviets more for political than strategic reasons (nuclear subs were just about online). A very near thing.

31. - Brian - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:47 pm:

“Just look on the bright side of life” [whistling]…

32. - Anon - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:49 pm:

I think this old SNL sketch defines Blago’s thinking (albeit dellusional):

Darrly Hammond dressed as Bill Clinton. The scene: Press conference on the White House lawn. Pres. Clinton walks up to the microphone, states “I am bulletproof,” smiles, bites lip with a “thumbs up,” and leaves stage right.

I think this just repeats in Blago’s mind over and over again.

33. - Vote Quimby! - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 3:59 pm:

DPD: The first song I thought of was ‘Sunshine Day’ by the Brady Bunch kids….

34. - Ron Burgundy - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 4:16 pm:

I do think the Trib. misquoted him. They have him saying he is “always lawful” when he clearly meant “always awful.”

35. - phocion - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 4:21 pm:

“I think there’s nothing but sunshine hanging over me.”

Aside from the breathtaking scale of denial here…does sunshine “hang over” someone? I mean, shouldn’t it be “shining on” the Governor. Sorry, just a linguistic nit to pick.

36. - Levois - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 4:28 pm:

Teflon governor? What teflon? I don’t think this man have teflon. It might be more likely that flies stick to him faster than the truth!

37. - ArchPundit - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 4:39 pm:

===#DPD: The first song I thought of was ‘Sunshine Day’ by the Brady Bunch kids….

Seriously? Check out the front page of AP right now. Same thought.

38. - How Ironic - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 4:46 pm:

I was thinking more along the lines of Patsy Cline “Crazy”.

I’ll bet if the day wasn’t over we coulda come up with more songs about the gov.

39. - VanillaMan - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 4:49 pm:

I’m certain that our governor believes we trust and believe him or he wouldn’t have given a statement.

He’s preaching to that 13% choir, isn’t he?

40. - some former legislative intern - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 5:14 pm:

Nixon bugged himself. And “it kinda smells like Nixon and Watergate?” Does that mean he sent his multitude of goons and hacks to ruin opponents’ campaigns? (He certainly hired enough of them) He sent Cubans to break into JBT’s therepist’s office? Besides the fundraising scandals, these are the types of activities Nixon and his men engaged in.

So, given the Governor’s statement, is something more that the Feds ought to be investigating that we are unaware of?

41. - Speaking At Will - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 5:24 pm:

While we are on the songs dedicated to the governor. I think this recent hit by Gnarles Barkley is particularly perfect.

I think I will work on a music video with rod pics and this music as a back ground.

check it out at

42. - Limerick - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 5:59 pm:

The governor’s unending spin,
    Is a claim that he’s free from all sin.
    But it sure won’t be Sun,
    If learn what he’s done,
    ‘Cuz the Feds have been listening in!

43. - Dan S, a Voter and a Cubs Fan - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 9:09 pm:

Ya Rod I’m sure Fitz will give you a heads up on the ivestigation going forward. You have nothing to fear but the truth. Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

44. - Gregor - Monday, Dec 8, 08 @ 10:28 pm:

You know, I remember exactly where I was when I heard Nixon’s resignation speech. I’m going to have a similar indelible memory when Rod’s indictment, conviction, and impeachment get announced.

So yeah, there are parallels, I guess.

45. - Nuance - Tuesday, Dec 9, 08 @ 6:47 am:

Sunshine above me, bs below me!

46. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Tuesday, Dec 9, 08 @ 8:57 am:

I wonder if Pat Quinn’s fundraiser Monday night in downtown Chicago will be well attended?

* Rauner vetoes DHFS managed care performance audit bill as part of another big Friday dump
* Rauner vetoes Geolocation Privacy Protection Act
* Rauner plans three bond sales
* Caption contest!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - HB40 update
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - More candidate announcements
* Logrolling?
* Ricketts' Wrigleyville rooftops benefit from "mom and pop" tax break
* It would've been a very tough campaign for Lisa Madigan
* Legislative move shines light on antiquated law
* Chicago FOP wants halt to new use of force policy
* GOP turkey shoot event image with Madigan's visage pulled down
* Drury could benefit from contribution cap loophole
* *** UPDATED x1 - ILGOP responds *** Report: Madigan pushing back against pop tax
* Poshard backs Pritzker

* Governor Rauner at 3rd Annual Governor's Ride -.....
* Dick Butkus, YouTube co-founder among Lincoln A.....
* Editorial: Illinois cannot afford to wait for e.....
* Governor's summit a great idea, unfulfilled - Q.....
* Clayborne law firm out in East St. Louis, forme.....
* Daniel Biss explains misstep with first running.....
* Illinois lawmakers quitting before voters get t.....

* Gary shooting leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt, car falling 23 feet
* Authorities: Skeletal remains belong to missing boy, 13
* Evidence of invasive grass carp signals threat to Lake Erie
* Deputy shot; stopped vehicle sought after 2 police chases
* Deputy shot; stopped vehicle sought after 2 police chases
* Bat found near Kankakee church tests positive for rabies
* Dick Butkus, YouTube co-founder among Lincoln Award honorees
* War hero, WIU 'Leathernecks' legend, honored with statue
* Cook County court for unwed parents quietly disappears
* EXCHANGE: Principal emphasizes communication, community

* Abortion bill is hot potato for Gov. Rauner
* New Illinois law will let adults earn high school diplomas
* Raoul enters AG race, apologizes for 'Miss America' comment
* AG candidate Raoul apologizes for 'bad characterization' of opponent
* Report: Payments for treatment of addictions, mental illness often denied
* Republican McClure will run against McCann in 50th Senate district
* Republican McClure will run against McCann in the 50th Senate district
* Rep. Drury leaves governor's race to run for attorney general
* Rauner signs revamp of EDGE business tax-credit
* Rauner to lawmakers: Help me balance the budget

* How Tock aims to get bigger piece of the restaurant reservations market
* Guess where manufacturing jobs are back?
* Downtown becoming one big candy shop
* Time for Preckwinkle & Co. to answer questions on soda tax
* Three reasons why Amazon is turning Emanuel and Rauner into BFFs

* Man, 18, shot in West Pullman
* J-F Berube struggles as Blackhawks dominate, but lose to Columbus
* Sheriff’s deputy shot during foot chase in Rockford, suspect sought
* 2 charged with Little Village drive-by shooting that wounded man, boy
* Why Kyle Hendricks could be poised for bigger role in playoff rotation
* Cubs voice Pat Hughes on an ‘exhilarated’ ride he hopes won’t end soon
* Kenneka Jenkins’ funeral tentatively set for next weekend
* Burglary call leads to SWAT team response in Austin
* 31-year-old man shot multiple times in Calumet Heights
* Davis, Cubs stunned by Brewers in another extra-inning thriller

* Jose Abreu reaches rare milestone for White Sox in 8-2 loss to Royals
* Trump's comments about NFL protests, NBA's Curry inflame sports stars
* A's catcher Bruce Maxwell first MLB player to kneel for the national anthem
* Wade Davis blows first save of season in Cubs' 10-inning loss to Brewers
* Cubs squander late leads against Brewers as made-for-October showdown continues
* Blackhawks' Brandon Saad says challenging time in Columbus made him better
* Blackhawks fall to Blue Jackets 3-2 in preseason game
* Aid begins to flow to Puerto Rico, facing a growing humanitarian crisis in Maria's aftermath
* Prosecutors: Man points gun at city worker saying, 'You better not be looking at my license plate'
* After stabbing manager, Arby's employee tells mom: 'I did something bad'

» State Week: IL Attorney General Candidates, The Soda Tax, and Courting Amazon
» State Week: IL Attorney General Candidates, The Soda Tax and Courting Amazon
» Governor Running Out Of Time On Location Tracking Regulation
» In Cook County, 3 Prosecutors Are Handling Hundreds Of Wrongful Conviction Claims
» An Accounting For Meteorological Violence Among Insurers
» Illinois Supreme Court Upholds Murder Conviction Of Drew Peterson
» State Sen Raoul To Run For Illinois Attorney General In 2018
» Suit: Pregnant Illinois Officer Forced To Take Unpaid Leave
» Palestinian Activist To Be Deported To Jordan From Chicago
» Looking For Analog: Old Button-Mashing Arcades Come Back For A New Generation

* Angie Muhs: New content coming to Sunday SJ-R
* Our View: Path to health care reform is bipartisan compromise
* Statehouse Insider: Illinois finances not the worst? Believe it or not.
* State employees, retirees have opportunity for giving
* Citizens weigh in on the community
* Abortion bill is hot potato for Gov. Rauner
* Bernard Schoenburg: Sen. McCann takes on Cellini in tiff with Bruner
* Guest Column: Let’s help Illinois get back on track with 'College Changes Everything' month
* Guest Column: Let’s help Illinois get Bback on track with 'College Changes Everything' month
* New Illinois law will let adults earn high school diplomas

* Mac wins, IC falls to Maroons
* Road support big in Illini win
* Dirty water issue clearing up in Nebo
* It’s your business
* Kiwanis funds infant-seats program
* Magelitz 50th
* For communities so thrive they must invest in civil rights
* High school football scoreboard: Sept. 21-23, 2017
* Would-be solar plant operators search for new funding
* Pitmasters credit Pat Burke for mentoring their competitive barbecue teams

* NHL officials cracking down on penalties
* Abreu in elite company after fourth straight 25 HR/100 RBI season
* More than 100 people protest Wheaton landlord over 'back to Vietnam' sign
* Girls tennis scoreboard: Saturday, Sept. 23, results
* Girls volleyball scoreboard: Saturday, Sept. 23, results

* Montgomery mayor hosts health care forum a...
* Good government - The Daily Progress
* Hultgren pleads for continued funding of f...
* What suburban members of Congress say abou...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* Rep. Randy Hultgren announces 2017 Congres...
* Congressman Randy Hultgren Visits Raue Cen...
* Hultgren pushes for CHIP funding ahead of ...
* Hultgren Comments on CAT Closure, Hurrican...
* Indivisible billboard targets Hultgren, Ro...

* Durbin, Duckworth ask President Trump to c......
* Pass the dogma please - Community Common...

* Durbin, Duckworth ask President Trump to c......
* Senator Duckworth, Area Leaders Discuss Wo......

* Join Buena Park Neighbors Invites You to A Family Puppet Show and Clean & Green
* EXTRA: Rauner "gettin' his kicks" down Route 66; or at least a part of it
* Why Self-Esteem Is Self-Defeating
* Trump-supporting mayor's home vandalized with swastikas and resignation demands
* Higher cigarette taxes are fueling the illicit trade in non-brand cigarettes—and possibly terrorism
* Illinois Left panics over Graham-Cassidy; ignores state's shrinking insurer numbers
* Higher minimum wages means less sanitary restaurants
* Cook County grocers say they're losing sales up to 47 percent over soda tax
* President Trump asks the United Nations: "Are we still patriots?"
* Gutierrez arrested in front of New York City Trump Towers

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Pioneer Working to Resolve iOS 11 Compatibility Issue With Select Receivers
* How to Force Restart or Hard Reset the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
* Chronicles of a Windows user gone iPhone (part 3)
* Folding Galaxy X (SM-G888) seen at Korean regulator
* Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have arrived! (Video)
* Qualcomm loses two battles in patent war with Apple