Fresh impeachment thread *** Racial pushback against guv *** Genson, Adam leave hearing *** Roll call begins *** New poll shows opposition to Burris appointment *** 21-0 FOR IMPEACHMENT *** Resolution moves to House floor ***
Thursday, Jan 8, 2009 - Posted by Rich Miller
* 4:44 pm - Let’s start a fresh impeachment thread. The other one was getting too long. The committee is back in session now. Here are a few news updates…
*** RACIAL PUSHBACK *** Well, this is interesting. There’s some pushback on the African-American play by Gov. Blagojevich. Exhibit 70 is written testimony by a former IDOT employee who said she tried to investigate allegations that job applicants were being coached on their employment test. The alleged idea was to get around minority hiring laws. When the employee investigated, she was fired.
*** GENSON/ADAM LEAVE *** Sam Adam and Ed Genson have left the room and won’t be coming back. Rep. Bill Black is now asking whether he can be sworn in to testify before the committee. The view was that Adam was one of the governor’s defense attorneys, but Ed Genson said that was not true and told the committee not to expect any testimony from Adam.
* The committee is now debating the impeachment report. Not sure how long it will be before we get a vote.
* Process debate on why the report was released this morning at 9. Rep. Currie said she was trying for transparency.
*** ROLL CALL *** Beginning now. Each member will have a couple of minutes to explain their votes.
* GOP Rep. Bost points out that all but about three charges in the impeachment report predate his call for Blagojevich’s impeachment in July of 2007, when he was scolded for speaking out. Good point.
* Rep. Mary Flowers: Governor should have stepped aside so we weren’t made the laughing stock of the country.
*** NEW POLL *** I told subscribers about this poll today. There’s a lot more to it than what’s in this story, but it’s a start…
* I never thought having Burris testify was a good idea and I told a GOP member of the committee just that the other day. Burris has the right to crow a little…
The Lon Monk meeting is quite curious, and he should’ve been asked about it far more than he was, but nobody thought to do it. Maybe the papers will pick it up. If not, this was a very good day for Burris.
*** 21 YES, 0 NO, 0 PRESENT. MOTION IS ADOPTED TO SEND THE IMPEACHMENT REPORT TO THE HOUSE *** Committee adjourns.
* It’s time for a little tune. Hit the play button…
*** IMPEACHMENT RESOLUTION MOVED TO HOUSE FLOOR *** With a hat tip to a commenter, the House has filed its impeachment resolution, HR 1671, and the Rules Committee has already sent it to the floor.
*** MORE ON THAT POLL *** From CBS2…