Quinn press conference live-blog *** Quinn to Burris: Resign ***
Friday, Feb 20, 2009
* 11:07 am - The Tribune has live video of the governor’s press confernce. He’s expected to talk about a special election for the US Senate seat currently held by Roland Burris.
I’m hugely distracted right now with work, so any help you can give in comments would be appreciated.
Quinn says he supports a bill by Rep. Jack Franks. Here’s the summary…
* 11:19 am - Quinn just called on Burris to resign, saying he needs to do what’s right for the people of Illinois.
* 11:26 am - Rep. Franks’ bill in its current form would not apply to Sen. Burris. But Franks just said he is amenable to amending the bill to make it apply to the current situation.
Quinn on the proposal: If Franks’ bill passes, likely would be litigated. Best thing would be for Burris to resign.
* The governor said he would find a way to “help” local governments pay for a special election.
* Quinn: If he chose a temporary replacement it would be someone who has no interest in running for the office.
* “I have not spoken to Sen. Burris about this matter.”
* Quinn said if Burris resigned he would talk to every legislator and tell them the special election bill is of “paramount interest to the people of Illinois.”
* Won’t name replacement until law is passed, “Hopefully within a week.”
* Quinn said, “In passing, I saw Speaker Madigan at dinner last night” and mentioned to Madigan that he is “for this concept” of the special election. How did Madigan respond? “He’s a fellow who likes to aborb information and he’ll give you his opinion down the road.” That’s a pretty good insight.
* 11:45 am - Finished.