Late afternoon, early evening updates - 42-74-2. Quinn tax hike fails
Sunday, May 31, 2009
* 5:14 pm - The House is taking up the “Quinncome tax” plan. The plan brings in $4.5 billion in new income taxes. Listen or watch here.
* 5:22 pm - Rep. John Fritchey just said he won’t vote for this tax hike bill because it’s inadequate. He apparently prefers the Senate’s bill.
* 5:23 pm-Democratic Rep. Julie Hamos, who has become more vocal about her disatisfaction with Speaker Madigan’s leadership, was asked about Madigan’s leadership on the income tax issue. Watch…
* 5:24 pm - Once again Patterson is live-blogging a tax hike floor debate.
* 6:15 - 42-74-2. The 2 present votes were Will Davis and David Miller - the two top proponents of the Senate plan.
Rep Karen May seemed to speak in favor of the bill. “We need bridges and roads but we’re leaving people in the ditch” or something close to that. She voted “No.”
* 6:30 pm - The campaign finance reform bill is now up.
* 6:39 pm - Leader Currie said she will call the human services 50% cut appropriations bill…