*** UPDATED x1 *** It’s official: Quinn/Simon 2010
Saturday, Mar 27, 2010
[Posted by Barton Lorimor and Dan Weber]
* It’s official.
* Standing on stage with Simon, Turner and Speaker Madigan, Gov. Quinn identified Simon as someone committed to reform and someone who understands what it means to live from paycheck to paycheck.
*** UPDATE ***
* In her first interview as a lieutenant governor candidate, Simon said now is the time for the party to unite after a long selection period. Have a look…
* Quinn and Simon spent time answering questions from the press before meeting with Democratic county chairmen. Here’s the footage.
*** End of update ***
* Shortly after Simon was selected, Turner said he was hurt by the decision. He said his career in the Legislature - almost 30 years - had prepared him for the committee’s decision.
* Simon said she voted for Turner in the primary election and considers his son is one of her hardest working students at SIU School of Law. Simon said she also got a chance to speak with Turner immediately after the committee’s decision. Here’s her account of that conversation…
* State Sen. Susan Garrett, who had been speaking with the Quinn campaign during the last couple weeks, did not attend Saturday’s committee meeting in Springfield. It has been speculated that Quinn recently preferred Simon because she supports the governor’s income tax increase proposal. Here are Quinn and Simon addressing the issue…