GUILTY ON JUST ONE COUNT - LYING TO FBI - PROSECUTORS TO RETRY
Tuesday, Aug 17, 2010
* 3:47 pm - Fox Chicago is reporting that the Blagojevich verdict may be read at 4:15 this afternoon. This is a fresh trial thread. Updates to follow below.
Rod and Mrs. Blagojevich just walked in.
* 3:56 pm - Robert Blagojevich just walked in.
* 3:59 pm Levine says maybe no verdict after all. Hung?
* 4:05 pm Susan Berger is saying there is official word of a verdict. Stay tuned. There may be a verdict and a holdout on other stuff. Not sure, but WBEZ is reporting that the judge has received a verdict.
From the US Attorney’s office…
Patrick Fitzgerald has arrived.
* Chuck Goudie is reporting that there may not be verdicts on all counts, which is understandable. NBC5…
The jury will return tomorrow for any forfeiture deliberations, if needed.
* The jury has entered. Defendants asked to rise.
* GUILTY ON COUNT 24 - FALSE STATEMENT TO THE FBI BACK IN 2005.
* Yeah, it’s weak sauce, but at least they got him on something. He’s looking at 5 years and a $250K fine for that one count. And the feds have the option of prosecuting him again.
* The Sun-Times reports that the prosecution will retry on all the other counts. Others report that prosecutors say they will “absolutely” retry Blagojevich. Hearing on August 26th.
* What’s kinda bizarre is that last week the jurors declared that they had reached agreement on two counts. Now, it’s just one. Weird.
* 4:48 pm - Robert Blagojevich is speaking to reporters now. Thanked his attorneys for “portraying me what I am - an innocent.” Said he has “ultimate confidence in my acquittal.” Refuses to plea bargain. “I’ve done nothing wrong, why would I plea?”