Tweeting instead of debating

Wednesday, Dec 5, 2012

* A proposal to allow undocumented immigrants to obtain drivers permits sailed through the Senate yesterday on a huge bipartisan vote of 41-16

During 50 minutes of floor debate on the measure, which now moves to the House, only one senator spoke in opposition.

“Equal protection under the law and under the Constitution certainly goes hand in hand with equal responsibility to follow the law. I am in favor of legal immigration but oppose illegal immigration,” said Sen. Chris Lauzen (R-Aurora).

But other Republicans backed the plan, including Senate Minority Leader Christine Radogno (R-Lemont), who was among 11 members of the Senate GOP to vote for the measure.

Lauzen’s speech…

* But while opponents stayed mostly quiet on the floor, Sen. Kyle McCarter was actively Tweeting during the debate…

I’m really not a fan of this. If you’re gonna Tweet about a debate, at least have the stones to get up and speak your mind to your colleagues.

But maybe I’m wrong. Your thoughts?

* Related…

* GOP support helps move immigrant driver’s licenses

* Illegal immigrant driver’s license getting bipartisan support

* Illinois Republican leaders jump on immigration reform bandwagon

1. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Hey @CapitolFax!If I want to hide behind my “the twitter” tweets against my colleagues, and look petty, it’s my business & career! #BeingDopeyOnTheFloorOrTweetingIsMyThing

2. - Colossus - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

Seems to me that Twitter is the official app of the Peanut Gallery.

3. - PublicServant - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

And this guy was running for Radogno’s job. Nice. A guy who wanted to lead his fellow legislators tweeting behind the scenes. What a stand up guy…err no wait; he didn’t stand up.

4. - Adam Smith - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:28 am:

The only difference between McCarter and Lauzen is that Lauzen is not afraid of showing he’s narrow-minded. Chris has raised it to an art form in his completely useless legislative career.

You are absolutely right, Rich. What is the downside for McCarter to get up and stand up for his principles? Get up there and stoke up the animosity for the fastest growing demographic voting bloc in the nation. Maybe in a few elections, the five votes you got for leader will be a winning majority.

5. - RookiePhenom - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:30 am:

While I don’t mind the use of livetweeting during a debate, do one of two things: (1)save it until after the debate and (2) speak up your mind while in session to explain why you think this state is turning into a sanctuary.

(Perhaps he didn’t want to sound like a dolt on the floor)

6. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:32 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - That wasn’t me tweeting. My twitter account was hacked by right-wing, narrow minded, exclusionists. Not that I don’t disagree with them…#ItWasMeButWasntMeHiding

7. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:35 am:

Quinn should put McCarter on campaign payroll.

8. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:38 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - the Sangamon SA says tweeting, for me, is the best way to be confrontational & out of the SA’s Hair. #DoingTheRightThingLegally

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Boy, I am surprised people are paying attention to me. But then why are the SGOP Members ignoring me? #TooChickenToSayThingsToTheirFace

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I asked some of my SGOP collegues about their thoughts on a bill & they told me to watch their “the twitter” accts. #ItsBetterThanWhenTheyIgnoreMyPhoneCalls

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I know I am right. I want to say it from the Mountain tops…Maybe. #EasyToStandUpForSomethingWhileHiding

9. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:39 am:

Reminds me of the kid in class whispering nasties across the aisle about the kid giving a speech in front of class. Speaking of class, tweeting in such a way shows damn little of it.

10. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:41 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I just got great news. @FakePresidentCullerton just said to me “Never worry, I promise, I always want you in the IL Senate.” #JobSecurityBaby

11. - Five Percenter - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:43 am:

Just proves the vote for Radogno was the right thing to do. McCarter #fail

12. - LandSnark - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:43 am:

After last year and getting the Jacobs “finger push” for standing up against him and ComEd can you really blame the guy? #LessonLearned #Snark

13. - Small Town Liberal - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:44 am:

- But maybe I’m wrong. Your thoughts? -

Nope, not wrong. Twitter is great for keeping people informed and organizing around issues, but it’s not for debate in the GA.

Ironic that McCarter lambasted (on twitter, of course) his colleagues for not having the courage to oust their leader, but he doesn’t seem to have the courage to get up and speak his mind.

14. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:46 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Usually, speeches are given, then tweeted, I find tweeting than never speaking is less dopey. #NeverSaySomethingToSomeonesFaceIfYouCanTweetIt

15. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:49 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Let me be quite clear; I will talk to mt colleagues about my tweets, when they let me know where the SGOP is caucusing instead of sending me to the Water Closet! #HoldingMyBreathTillTakenSeriously

16. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:51 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I can lead a diverse caucus, guaranteed! As long as they agree w/me, it would’ve worked. #NotTolerantOfTheTolerant

17. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:53 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - If you re-tweet this on your “the twitter” account, I will read your “the twiiter” handle into the record. #MightAsWellBeProductiveWhileTweeting

18. - BehindTheScenes - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:55 am:

What part of the phrase ‘illegal immigrants’ do these 41 not understand? They’re breaking our laws so lets ignore that and reward them. Since a commenter is already calling them ‘the fastest growing demographic voting bloc in the nation’, I suppose letting them vote to expand the benefits the country is already giving them is right around the corner. If we know how many of them there are, why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way?

19. - schwartzee - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:57 am:

He should have said something on the floor. Tweeting during the debate was so juvenile.
    Also, I’m not picking on anyone in particular, I would just like to ask people to consider this - no human being is illegal. Please read this article and think about it before you refer to someone as an “illegal” again.

20. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:57 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I have the pulse of what the people of IL want! #WhereDoYouCheckForAPulseAgain

21. - Small Town Liberal - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:58 am:

- why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way? -

Maybe a big brain like you can come up with a feasible way to do that. I’ll keep an eye out for the headlines.

22. - Sophomore - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:59 am:

Brady’s last minute pandering to illegals will not get him elected Governor. All he is doing is eroding his already skeptical base.

23. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:59 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Reminder to all my SGOP colleagues; I will be having a reception for my dear frieds, in all of your honor tonight. Don’t be late. #TableForOne

24. - schwartzee - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:00 am:

I meant to actually post this article:

25. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:06 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I do NOT want all my colleagues to be the same, I just want all of them to either be exactly LIKE me, or love me! #DuhItsAlwaysAboutMe

26. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:12 am:

lol

===”Kyle McCarter‏@SenatorMcCarter - will get recording of Sen. Lauzen’s comments on floor & post. spot on. I could not have said it better. Sen. Lauzen will be missed.”===

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Because Sen. Lauzen has a backbone to say what I want to, but can only tweet. Sen. Lauzen will be missed, indeed! #LeaveYourBackboneTakeTheCannoli

27. - just sayin' - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:14 am:

“If you’re gonna Tweet about a debate, at least have the stones to get up and speak your mind to your colleagues.”

Totally agree Rich. McCarter just reminds people why he was a nonstarter even when it came to replacing a weak and ineffective Radogno. Imagine any real leader in history just hanging back and tweeting.

@honestabe - someone should really do something about this whole slavery thing.

28. - Darienite - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:15 am:

Isn’t Lauzen a lame-duck, as he just got elected as the Kane County Board Chairman? And doesn’t Elgin and Aurora have sizeable Hispanic populations? Look for the Kane County Dems to be planning for 2016.

29. - Dan Shields, Springfield, IL - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:17 am:

When I took the required drivers education course in high school I was taught that being issued a drivers license and driving were privileges, privileges that could be removed do to illegal behavior. So now our lawmakers want to reward illegal behavior with a privilege, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. How can this demographic be a voting bloc when they are not even US citizens. This entire issue just baffles me.

30. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:21 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Boy, as a Leader, I wish I could BE a leader and stuff, like even talking during debate. Maybe next time. #StandingUpToBeCountedIsTooToughTweetingIsEasier

31. - Just Me - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:24 am:

Just what we need: more Congress-like behavior.

32. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:25 am:

=== privileges that could be removed do to illegal behavior===

Driving-related illegal behavior. People on parole can get drivers licenses.

33. - Norseman - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:40 am:

I agree with so many others that he should have had the stones to speak. However, it doesn’t surprise me.

Unfortunately, we are now living in the world of social media. The art of oratory and verbal communication is becoming a lost one.

34. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:47 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - For all those railing against me, how about you stand up and say that to my fa … uh, nevermind. #CowardlyLionWasOntoSomething

35. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:52 am:

These are not “illegals” who are “breaking our laws” for which they are being “rewarded”. What blind nonsense!

They are human beings, who immigrated without proper documentation and thereby broke a law probably years ago (just like many of our licensed drivers,) and we want to regulate their driving for public safety purposes.

36. - MrJM - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:06 am:

The tweeters are presuming that their Twitter noise can rally the base without alienating/motivating Hispanic voters.

Speaking in opposition, on the floor, on the record, like a grownup, would come with a political price that these heroes are not willing to pay.

– MrJM

37. - Long Time Listener - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:28 am:

I actually prefer Senator McCarter to tweet his inane thoughts rather than shouting them on the floor and wasting everyone’s time.

38. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:56 am:

Rich, you hit the nail on the head.

It is one thing to critique legislation you refrain from speaking on.

It is quite another to cheerlead or criticize your colleagues’ specific comments via twitter as you personally utter not. one. single. word.

Maybe next time Senator McCarter can hold up a green or red crayon on the floor to express his approval or displeasure with the comments of his peers.

39. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:08 pm:

@fakeSenatorMcCarter - I heard some SGOP members were talking about me during study hall. Wait till I see them @ lunch. I might even ignore them. #ActLikeAKidTreatedLikeAKid

40. - Lil Enchilada - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:29 pm:

Guess you have to consider the source…
    love your comment Long Time Listener.

41. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:31 pm:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Hey, why is everyone calling me “Yellow Button”. That makes no sense! #YellowButtonIsTheChickenButtonRight

42. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 1:01 pm:

– why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way? –

Because we desperately need them to do the tough, dirty jobs that enable the rest of us to go about our business every day.

–So now our lawmakers want to reward illegal behavior with a privilege, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. How can this demographic be a voting bloc when they are not even US citizens. This entire issue just baffles me.–

Dan, I’m sure many things baffle you.

Try to follow:

When chowder-headed politicians demonize a class of hard-working people on the basis of race, those of that race who are citizens, and can vote, tend to notice, and act accordingly.

43. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 1:55 pm:

===Kind of like Cook County voters. If politicians are dumb enough to constantly insult the largest and richest group of voters, they reap what they sow.===

It’s all “Dem”, there are no “Repubs” to find!

I just hope that Senator McCarter is not in charge or “Voter Outreach”, but then again, Senator McCarter might chicken out again, say nothing and tweet.

Facebook and Twitter are Forever.

44. - Lobo Y Olla - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 2:52 pm:

“Dan, I’m sure many things baffle you.”

OK, 1st time I’ve laughed out loud reading this blog.

That merits a cocktail.

45. - wishbone - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:09 pm:

““Now we’re expected to believe that folks who are already breaking the immigration law, the employment law, the traffic laws will now follow the insurance law,” he said.”

It may not guarantee they will follow the law, but at least it gives them the opportunity to follow the law.

46. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:04 pm:

It’s funny that you enlightened intellectuals have a bigger issue with someone tweeting in protest instead of people in our state illegally who happen to frequently tap into financial resources provided by the taxpayers who are legally here. For all you know, the SGOP “leadership” might have mandated silence from the caucus.

Your lack of logic and the inane things you choose to focus on are contributing factors to the financial and economic mess this state is in.

Why don’t we get back to basics? Spend less than you make. Along those lines, don’t provide services and benefits to people who come to this country illegally. It’s one thing to say that it’s financially impossible to remove the illegals; it’s another thing to say that it’s financially impossible to halt financial support for them.

47. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

Logic, this is the third post this week alone on this bill. We’ve already debated the merits. We’ve also had a question of the day. Either keep up or go away.

48. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:11 pm:

That’s the best response you have, Rich? Enlightened and illuminating.

49. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:14 pm:

Logic, we can only debate an issue so much days in a row before it gets stale. Even Squeezy got stale. Other angles are needed. If you don’t like it, there’s the door.

50. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:22 pm:

Why don’t you talk about something substantive instead of Twitter/debate etiquette?

51. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:29 pm:

Sigh.

We have adressed the substance of this issue several times over several days.

It’s not my fault that you are too dense to comprehend this fact.

It is my fault for letting you ignorantly highjack this thread, however. That will be fixed.

52. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:31 pm:

===It’s funny that you enlightened intellectuals have a bigger issue with someone tweeting in protest…===

Sen. McCarter was elected to DEBATE an issue, not TWEET while others DEBATE … that is the issue. If Sen. McCarter feels Tweeting is more important, and letting a Lame duck member make all his points, why the heck is he in the IL Senate.

53. - Elder - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:10 pm:

McCarter is losing Lauzen…. but all is not lost!!! Oberweis to the rescue!!!!

54. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:27 pm:

McCarter’s tweeting served him so well in the leadership battle, why stop now?

* Reader comments closed for the holiday weekend
* Can't anybody play this game?
* Radogno: Pass the grand bargain by the end of this month or forget it
* CMS warns comptroller over draining special funds
* *** UPDATED x3 *** ISBE to vote on settling Urban League school funding lawsuit
* *** UPDATED x1 - FY18 bills filed *** Get out your checkbook, Mr. Mayor
* Midway contract criticized
* Bob Michel passes away
* Another day, another Rauner campaign ad
* Clearing up a little confusion
* Madigan orders committee to take up Thompson Center sale issue

* CapitolView | 2/17/17 | WSEC-TV/PBS Springfield..
* Fed judge tosses Pat Quinn’s lawsuit over elect.....
* Selle: Everybody knows it’s Bruce Rauner’s fault..
* Bustos says she won’t run for Illinois Governor..
* Economist presses Rauner to speak out against t.....
* Economist presses Rauner to speak out against t.....
* This just in… - The Capitol Fax Blog (blog)..
* Reader comments closed for the holiday weekend .....
* Selle: Everybody knows it's Bruce Rauner's faul.....
* Rauner provides budget address update - West Co.....

* Hundreds protest Trump at Chicago 'Not My President' rally
* Illinois schools adapting to new 'asthma emergency' law
* Illinois schools adapting to new 'asthma emergency' law
* Chicago woman faces murder charge in baby's starvation death
* Chicago woman faces murder charge in baby's starvation death
* Bloomington personal trainer keeps first responders in shape
* EXCHANGE: Bee numbers down, but everyone can fight problem
* Ex-Illinois prosecutor's 2nd murder trial set for next week
* Cleanup begins at Springfield's former Pillsbury Mills plant
* Ex-Illinois prosecutor's 2nd murder trial set for next week

* Cheri Bustos won't run for Illinois governor
* GOP criticizes Illinois comptroller for buying used $32K SUV
* Effort to privatize economic development questioned
* State budget impasse still hurting schools
* DHS moving into former Barney's Furniture store
* Madigan says House will consider sale of Thompson Center
* Bustos, other Dems demand Rauner pay domestic violence money
* State budget gap could be more than $7 billion
* Rauner administration says Mendoza decision on payroll could jeopardize services
* Legislation to change date on state seal passes House

* Kraft Heinz withdraws $143 billion Unilever bid
* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* The 50 priciest​ home sales of 2016 are here
* Rauner finally weighs in on budget to Capitol laughter and groans
* Springfield's incapacity a threat to all small businesses, including mine

* 16-year-old boy shot to death in Melrose Park
* Hundreds drawn to second straight day of anti-Trump Loop protests
* Man and woman shot in Austin
* Kyle Hendricks’ turnaround in 2016 was stunning. So now what?
* Police: Threat to South Side Jewish community center unfounded
* Sue Ontiveros: Chef helps immigrants and refugees — with soup
* Letters: Mistreated groups should unite in protests
* Jesse Jackson: Trump’s tough talk won’t fix Chicago
* Faith leaders thank Trump, say ban has united their communities
* Doubters motivate White Sox’ prized catching prospect

* Trump taps Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster as national security adviser
* Funeral services Tuesday for Arlington Heights family killed in crash
* 1 dead, 1 in custody after standoff, SWAT response on West Side
* Police expand search for suspect in 2 Indiana girls' deaths
* California police officer shot to death while responding to traffic accident
* Russia's ambassador to United Nations dies in NYC at 64
* Gavit students, teacher involved in I-65 crash
* Blackhawks are hot but still can't catch Wild in Central Division standings
* Streamwood teen hit, killed by SUV
* History proves judges should keep second-guessing presidents

» Gary’s Disappearing Public Schools
» Syrian Family Reunites Three Weeks After Travel Ban
» Man Charged In Shooting Death Of Chicago Toddler
» State Week: 'Balanced' Is In The Eye Of The Beholder
» State Settles Suit Over Discriminatory School Funding
» Professor Says Department Will Still Consider Students Affected By Travel Ban
» Man Charged With Shooting 11-Year-Old Assaulted
» Indiana Governor Pledges State Aid For East Chicago Lead Problems
» City Council Advances Plan To Bring New Stores To Midway
» Ex-Obama Aide Fined $90,000 For Chicago Lobbying Violation

* Cheri Bustos won't run for Illinois governor
* Their View: Why aren't Illinoisans blocking traffic in front of their Capitol?
* GOP criticizes Illinois comptroller for buying used $32K SUV
* Bernard Schoenburg: Dems eye Rodney Davis, who expects the challenge
* Effort to privatize economic development questioned
* Bernard Schoenburg: Dems eye Davis, who expects the challenge
* Statehouse Insider: This is what's meant by balanced?
* State budget impasse still hurting schools
* Our View: Springfield aldermen need to look long term on budget
* DHS moving into former Barney's Furniture store

* How long should injured pro athletes get workers comp?
* Murphysboro First Presbyterian Church planning community garden
* HealthWorks Kids’ Museum St. Louis hosting ‘First Tooth Parties’ — New initiative promotes dental health education
* West Frankfort wastewater plant over halfway finished
* Feb. 23 Ask the Sports Editor chat
* Feb. 23 prep sports chat
* Feb. 22 Illinois basketball chat
* Vandalia woman injured in roll-over crash
* Police officer killed while responding to traffic accident
* Trump taps military strategist as national security adviser

* Lisle slate says it's not behind proposal to merge towns
* Jimmy John's could be coming to downtown Elgin
* Fire damages two Naperville homes
* White Sox postcard: Rite of spring
* German nationalist Petry met with Putin allies

* Hultgren guides STEM scholars through pres...
* US Congressman tours new Aurora Specialty ...
* Hultgren criticizes immigration ban, Roska...
* Group upset with Trump wants Town Hall mee...
* Hultgren updates work on heroin, opioid ab...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren talks veterans' iss...
* Bernard Schoenburg: Dems eye Rodney Davis,...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren reflects on busines...
* GOP congressman appears to distance himsel...
* US Representative Randy Hultgren visits ne...

* Sen. Hirono, Other Democrats Introduce Bil......
* Sen. Hirono, Other Democrats Introduce Bil......

* Dem Sen Duckworth: 'This Is Not the Presid......

* The Weekend Desk Report
* At The Ukrainian National Museum | Celebrating Women Of Courage
* Thorner: 23 year old Wheeling native launches career as free market evangelist
* Hundreds protest Trump in downtown Chicago #NotMyPresidentDay
* Will County Board member under seige from local Leftist women's group
* Proposed bill would relieve taxpayers from paying for some inmates' legal bills
* Candlelight dinners, rom-coms, and more ways to celebrate Valentine's Day in Chicago
* Bit Bash's Filthy Pixels, Taco Fest 2017, and more things to do in Chicago this week
* Iowa tells public school teachers and public employees to go some place else.
* Right-wing Trumpnuts go bonkers over New Trier civil rights program.

* Governor Takes Bill Action
* 2017 Budget Address
* Rauner, Lawmakers Move to Protect Taxpayers from Inmate Legal Bills
* Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs Announcednew pilot program titled Tiny Boots
* Governor Rauner Attends Illinois National Guard Deployment Ceremony

* Watch the first trailer for ‘Alto’s Odyssey’
* [TA Deals] Get certified in Linux/UNIX networking for cheap
* ING and Macquarie Now Support Apple Pay in Australia
* Instagram VP Kevin Weil joins board of social fitness app Strava
* HTC One X10 gets pictured online
* Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 10.2 to Developers
* How to turn off ‘OK, Google’ always listening feature in Google Now

* Renteria expects bright future for White Sox
* Top pick Burdi White Sox closer of future?
* White Sox plan for Avisail to see time in RF