Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Tweeting instead of debating
Tweeting instead of debating

Wednesday, Dec 5, 2012

* A proposal to allow undocumented immigrants to obtain drivers permits sailed through the Senate yesterday on a huge bipartisan vote of 41-16

During 50 minutes of floor debate on the measure, which now moves to the House, only one senator spoke in opposition.

“Equal protection under the law and under the Constitution certainly goes hand in hand with equal responsibility to follow the law. I am in favor of legal immigration but oppose illegal immigration,” said Sen. Chris Lauzen (R-Aurora).

But other Republicans backed the plan, including Senate Minority Leader Christine Radogno (R-Lemont), who was among 11 members of the Senate GOP to vote for the measure.

Lauzen’s speech…

* But while opponents stayed mostly quiet on the floor, Sen. Kyle McCarter was actively Tweeting during the debate…

I’m really not a fan of this. If you’re gonna Tweet about a debate, at least have the stones to get up and speak your mind to your colleagues.

But maybe I’m wrong. Your thoughts?

* Related…

* GOP support helps move immigrant driver’s licenses

* Illegal immigrant driver’s license getting bipartisan support

* Illinois Republican leaders jump on immigration reform bandwagon

1. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Hey @CapitolFax!If I want to hide behind my “the twitter” tweets against my colleagues, and look petty, it’s my business & career! #BeingDopeyOnTheFloorOrTweetingIsMyThing

2. - Colossus - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

Seems to me that Twitter is the official app of the Peanut Gallery.

3. - PublicServant - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

And this guy was running for Radogno’s job. Nice. A guy who wanted to lead his fellow legislators tweeting behind the scenes. What a stand up guy…err no wait; he didn’t stand up.

4. - Adam Smith - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:28 am:

The only difference between McCarter and Lauzen is that Lauzen is not afraid of showing he’s narrow-minded. Chris has raised it to an art form in his completely useless legislative career.

You are absolutely right, Rich. What is the downside for McCarter to get up and stand up for his principles? Get up there and stoke up the animosity for the fastest growing demographic voting bloc in the nation. Maybe in a few elections, the five votes you got for leader will be a winning majority.

5. - RookiePhenom - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:30 am:

While I don’t mind the use of livetweeting during a debate, do one of two things: (1)save it until after the debate and (2) speak up your mind while in session to explain why you think this state is turning into a sanctuary.

(Perhaps he didn’t want to sound like a dolt on the floor)

6. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:32 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - That wasn’t me tweeting. My twitter account was hacked by right-wing, narrow minded, exclusionists. Not that I don’t disagree with them…#ItWasMeButWasntMeHiding

7. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:35 am:

Quinn should put McCarter on campaign payroll.

8. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:38 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - the Sangamon SA says tweeting, for me, is the best way to be confrontational & out of the SA’s Hair. #DoingTheRightThingLegally

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Boy, I am surprised people are paying attention to me. But then why are the SGOP Members ignoring me? #TooChickenToSayThingsToTheirFace

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I asked some of my SGOP collegues about their thoughts on a bill & they told me to watch their “the twitter” accts. #ItsBetterThanWhenTheyIgnoreMyPhoneCalls

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I know I am right. I want to say it from the Mountain tops…Maybe. #EasyToStandUpForSomethingWhileHiding

9. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:39 am:

Reminds me of the kid in class whispering nasties across the aisle about the kid giving a speech in front of class. Speaking of class, tweeting in such a way shows damn little of it.

10. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:41 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I just got great news. @FakePresidentCullerton just said to me “Never worry, I promise, I always want you in the IL Senate.” #JobSecurityBaby

11. - Five Percenter - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:43 am:

Just proves the vote for Radogno was the right thing to do. McCarter #fail

12. - LandSnark - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:43 am:

After last year and getting the Jacobs “finger push” for standing up against him and ComEd can you really blame the guy? #LessonLearned #Snark

13. - Small Town Liberal - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:44 am:

- But maybe I’m wrong. Your thoughts? -

Nope, not wrong. Twitter is great for keeping people informed and organizing around issues, but it’s not for debate in the GA.

Ironic that McCarter lambasted (on twitter, of course) his colleagues for not having the courage to oust their leader, but he doesn’t seem to have the courage to get up and speak his mind.

14. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:46 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Usually, speeches are given, then tweeted, I find tweeting than never speaking is less dopey. #NeverSaySomethingToSomeonesFaceIfYouCanTweetIt

15. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:49 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Let me be quite clear; I will talk to mt colleagues about my tweets, when they let me know where the SGOP is caucusing instead of sending me to the Water Closet! #HoldingMyBreathTillTakenSeriously

16. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:51 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I can lead a diverse caucus, guaranteed! As long as they agree w/me, it would’ve worked. #NotTolerantOfTheTolerant

17. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:53 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - If you re-tweet this on your “the twitter” account, I will read your “the twiiter” handle into the record. #MightAsWellBeProductiveWhileTweeting

18. - BehindTheScenes - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:55 am:

What part of the phrase ‘illegal immigrants’ do these 41 not understand? They’re breaking our laws so lets ignore that and reward them. Since a commenter is already calling them ‘the fastest growing demographic voting bloc in the nation’, I suppose letting them vote to expand the benefits the country is already giving them is right around the corner. If we know how many of them there are, why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way?

19. - schwartzee - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:57 am:

He should have said something on the floor. Tweeting during the debate was so juvenile.
    Also, I’m not picking on anyone in particular, I would just like to ask people to consider this - no human being is illegal. Please read this article and think about it before you refer to someone as an “illegal” again.

20. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:57 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I have the pulse of what the people of IL want! #WhereDoYouCheckForAPulseAgain

21. - Small Town Liberal - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:58 am:

- why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way? -

Maybe a big brain like you can come up with a feasible way to do that. I’ll keep an eye out for the headlines.

22. - Sophomore - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:59 am:

Brady’s last minute pandering to illegals will not get him elected Governor. All he is doing is eroding his already skeptical base.

23. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:59 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Reminder to all my SGOP colleagues; I will be having a reception for my dear frieds, in all of your honor tonight. Don’t be late. #TableForOne

24. - schwartzee - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:00 am:

I meant to actually post this article:

25. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:06 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I do NOT want all my colleagues to be the same, I just want all of them to either be exactly LIKE me, or love me! #DuhItsAlwaysAboutMe

26. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:12 am:

lol

===”Kyle McCarter‏@SenatorMcCarter - will get recording of Sen. Lauzen’s comments on floor & post. spot on. I could not have said it better. Sen. Lauzen will be missed.”===

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Because Sen. Lauzen has a backbone to say what I want to, but can only tweet. Sen. Lauzen will be missed, indeed! #LeaveYourBackboneTakeTheCannoli

27. - just sayin' - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:14 am:

“If you’re gonna Tweet about a debate, at least have the stones to get up and speak your mind to your colleagues.”

Totally agree Rich. McCarter just reminds people why he was a nonstarter even when it came to replacing a weak and ineffective Radogno. Imagine any real leader in history just hanging back and tweeting.

@honestabe - someone should really do something about this whole slavery thing.

28. - Darienite - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:15 am:

Isn’t Lauzen a lame-duck, as he just got elected as the Kane County Board Chairman? And doesn’t Elgin and Aurora have sizeable Hispanic populations? Look for the Kane County Dems to be planning for 2016.

29. - Dan Shields, Springfield, IL - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:17 am:

When I took the required drivers education course in high school I was taught that being issued a drivers license and driving were privileges, privileges that could be removed do to illegal behavior. So now our lawmakers want to reward illegal behavior with a privilege, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. How can this demographic be a voting bloc when they are not even US citizens. This entire issue just baffles me.

30. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:21 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Boy, as a Leader, I wish I could BE a leader and stuff, like even talking during debate. Maybe next time. #StandingUpToBeCountedIsTooToughTweetingIsEasier

31. - Just Me - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:24 am:

Just what we need: more Congress-like behavior.

32. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:25 am:

=== privileges that could be removed do to illegal behavior===

Driving-related illegal behavior. People on parole can get drivers licenses.

33. - Norseman - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:40 am:

I agree with so many others that he should have had the stones to speak. However, it doesn’t surprise me.

Unfortunately, we are now living in the world of social media. The art of oratory and verbal communication is becoming a lost one.

34. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:47 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - For all those railing against me, how about you stand up and say that to my fa … uh, nevermind. #CowardlyLionWasOntoSomething

35. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:52 am:

These are not “illegals” who are “breaking our laws” for which they are being “rewarded”. What blind nonsense!

They are human beings, who immigrated without proper documentation and thereby broke a law probably years ago (just like many of our licensed drivers,) and we want to regulate their driving for public safety purposes.

36. - MrJM - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:06 am:

The tweeters are presuming that their Twitter noise can rally the base without alienating/motivating Hispanic voters.

Speaking in opposition, on the floor, on the record, like a grownup, would come with a political price that these heroes are not willing to pay.

– MrJM

37. - Long Time Listener - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:28 am:

I actually prefer Senator McCarter to tweet his inane thoughts rather than shouting them on the floor and wasting everyone’s time.

38. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:56 am:

Rich, you hit the nail on the head.

It is one thing to critique legislation you refrain from speaking on.

It is quite another to cheerlead or criticize your colleagues’ specific comments via twitter as you personally utter not. one. single. word.

Maybe next time Senator McCarter can hold up a green or red crayon on the floor to express his approval or displeasure with the comments of his peers.

39. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:08 pm:

@fakeSenatorMcCarter - I heard some SGOP members were talking about me during study hall. Wait till I see them @ lunch. I might even ignore them. #ActLikeAKidTreatedLikeAKid

40. - Lil Enchilada - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:29 pm:

Guess you have to consider the source…
    love your comment Long Time Listener.

41. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:31 pm:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Hey, why is everyone calling me “Yellow Button”. That makes no sense! #YellowButtonIsTheChickenButtonRight

42. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 1:01 pm:

– why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way? –

Because we desperately need them to do the tough, dirty jobs that enable the rest of us to go about our business every day.

–So now our lawmakers want to reward illegal behavior with a privilege, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. How can this demographic be a voting bloc when they are not even US citizens. This entire issue just baffles me.–

Dan, I’m sure many things baffle you.

Try to follow:

When chowder-headed politicians demonize a class of hard-working people on the basis of race, those of that race who are citizens, and can vote, tend to notice, and act accordingly.

43. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 1:55 pm:

===Kind of like Cook County voters. If politicians are dumb enough to constantly insult the largest and richest group of voters, they reap what they sow.===

It’s all “Dem”, there are no “Repubs” to find!

I just hope that Senator McCarter is not in charge or “Voter Outreach”, but then again, Senator McCarter might chicken out again, say nothing and tweet.

Facebook and Twitter are Forever.

44. - Lobo Y Olla - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 2:52 pm:

“Dan, I’m sure many things baffle you.”

OK, 1st time I’ve laughed out loud reading this blog.

That merits a cocktail.

45. - wishbone - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:09 pm:

““Now we’re expected to believe that folks who are already breaking the immigration law, the employment law, the traffic laws will now follow the insurance law,” he said.”

It may not guarantee they will follow the law, but at least it gives them the opportunity to follow the law.

46. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:04 pm:

It’s funny that you enlightened intellectuals have a bigger issue with someone tweeting in protest instead of people in our state illegally who happen to frequently tap into financial resources provided by the taxpayers who are legally here. For all you know, the SGOP “leadership” might have mandated silence from the caucus.

Your lack of logic and the inane things you choose to focus on are contributing factors to the financial and economic mess this state is in.

Why don’t we get back to basics? Spend less than you make. Along those lines, don’t provide services and benefits to people who come to this country illegally. It’s one thing to say that it’s financially impossible to remove the illegals; it’s another thing to say that it’s financially impossible to halt financial support for them.

47. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

Logic, this is the third post this week alone on this bill. We’ve already debated the merits. We’ve also had a question of the day. Either keep up or go away.

48. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:11 pm:

That’s the best response you have, Rich? Enlightened and illuminating.

49. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:14 pm:

Logic, we can only debate an issue so much days in a row before it gets stale. Even Squeezy got stale. Other angles are needed. If you don’t like it, there’s the door.

50. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:22 pm:

Why don’t you talk about something substantive instead of Twitter/debate etiquette?

51. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:29 pm:

Sigh.

We have adressed the substance of this issue several times over several days.

It’s not my fault that you are too dense to comprehend this fact.

It is my fault for letting you ignorantly highjack this thread, however. That will be fixed.

52. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:31 pm:

===It’s funny that you enlightened intellectuals have a bigger issue with someone tweeting in protest…===

Sen. McCarter was elected to DEBATE an issue, not TWEET while others DEBATE … that is the issue. If Sen. McCarter feels Tweeting is more important, and letting a Lame duck member make all his points, why the heck is he in the IL Senate.

53. - Elder - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:10 pm:

McCarter is losing Lauzen…. but all is not lost!!! Oberweis to the rescue!!!!

54. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:27 pm:

McCarter’s tweeting served him so well in the leadership battle, why stop now?

* Hastings circulating petitions for SoS and AG as Ald. Burnett declares he's not circulating
* Backlogged bills hit a new high this week
* "The overall news is good" about Asia trade trip
* Rate the Sen. Kwame Raoul AG campaign announcement video
* Raoul takes "full responsibility" for "bad" Erika Harold comment, Maze Jackson apologizes to listeners
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Durkin says he doesn't think Illinois "needs to give away the store" to snag Amazon
* Biss tries to explain the Ramirez-Rosa matter
* *** UPDATED x1 *** SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Legislative candidate announcements
* An argument against assisting the St. Louis Amazon bid
* Why did Lisa Madigan retire?
* Currency exchanges say they want higher fees to boost lagging profits
* DGA tour coverage roundup
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Illinois economy "stuck in neutral"
* The great exodus
* Rauner signs civil asset forfeiture reform bill
* Harold unveils long list of legislator endorsements

* Certain Regulatory Shackles Lifted from Nurses .....
* IDHS To Increase Eligibility For Child Care Ass.....
* Rauner Signs Asset Forfeiture Bill - Alton Dail.....

* Authorities: Illinois father killed sons, set house on fire
* Life term reduced for Illinois woman in 4-year-old's death

* Raoul enters AG race, apologizes for 'Miss America' comment
* AG candidate Raoul apologizes for 'bad characterization' of opponent
* Report: Payments for treatment of addictions, mental illness often denied
* Republican McClure will run against McCann in 50th Senate district
* Republican McClure will run against McCann in the 50th Senate district
* Rep. Drury leaves governor's race to run for attorney general
* Rauner signs revamp of EDGE business tax-credit
* Rauner to lawmakers: Help me balance the budget
* Bernard Schoenburg: Running mates help balance governor tickets
* Statehouse Insider: AFSCME contract suit may not be heard until next year

* Guggenheim's CEO said to seek control of insurer in shake-up
* Cook County Health to buy piece of struggling insurer's Medicaid biz
* State expects solid dividends from Asia trade trip
* As other guvs rail against Obamacare repeal, Rauner clears his throat
* How Graham-Cassidy would play out in Illinois

* Police investigate after car, garage struck by gunfire in Aurora
* Police: Person tried to abduct girl walking to school in Woodlawn
* 2 men critically hurt in Grand Crossing shooting
* Mexico quake rescuers struggle to free girl, other survivors
* Bigger and louder isn’t better for ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’
* Dear Abby: Co-workers laugh at my fear of blood
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Sept. 21, 2017
* 55-year-old woman from Nigeria missing from Mercy Hospital
* Parents of woman killed in 2015 crash on Kennedy Expressway sue driver
* CPD to outline new public safety reform training regimen

* Families, friends worry over Puerto Rico hurricane, Mexico City quake
* Bangladesh truck carrying Rohingya Muslim aid crashes; 9 die
* Maria destroys homes, triggers flooding in Puerto Rico, leaving island without power
* Google bites off big piece of HTC in $1.1B bet on devices
* Seoul to resume aid to North Korea but doesn't set date
* Mexico rescuers race to free girl, other survivors after quake that killed at least 230
* Jon Lester's woes hover over Cubs entering NL Central showdown in Milwaukee
* Jon Lester has lack-of-command performance as Rays knock him out, win 8-1
* SEC reveals 2016 hack of filing system that may have led to illegal trading
* Cubs, pesky Brewers set to face off again for four games at Wrigley North

» State Sen Raoul To Run For Illinois Attorney General In 2018
» Suit: Pregnant Illinois Officer Forced To Take Unpaid Leave
» Palestinian Activist To Be Deported To Jordan From Chicago
» Looking For Analog: Old Button-Mashing Arcades Come Back For A New Generation
» County In Illinois To Use Grant To Aid Endangered Bumblebee
» Canada Could Stop Dealing With Boeing Over Dispute
» Currency Exchanges Pushing Fee Increase
» 3 Big Takeaways On Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s Decision To Not Run For Reelection
» Judge: Sessions Can't Deny Grant Money For Sanctuary Cities
» State Week: Blagojevich Speaks; (Lisa) Madigan & Currie Leaving

* Our View: Diverse voices needed as Statehouse makeup poised to change
* Bernard Schoenburg: Democrats highlight Rauner's 'broken record'
* Kathleen Parker: The New Center seeks volunteers
* Raoul enters AG race, apologizes for 'Miss America' comment
* AG candidate Raoul apologizes for 'bad characterization' of opponent
* Report: Payments for treatment of addictions, mental illness often denied
* E.J. Dionne: The priority is still to save Obamacare
* Over DACA, an acute case of Trump panic syndrome
* Ralph Martire: Illinois needs to make higher education a priority
* Catherine Rampell: A chilling study shows college students hostile toward free speech

* Sarah J. Mitchell
* Donald Darnell

* Girls golf: Carmel tops Nazareth
* Psychiatrist: Naperville woman believed she was killing the devil
* Google bites off big piece of HTC in $1.1B bet on devices
* Girls volleyball: Fillies go to 4-1 in MSL West
* Boys soccer: St. Viator fights back for 2-2 tie

* Rep. Randy Hultgren announces 2017 Congres...
* Congressman Randy Hultgren Visits Raue Cen...
* Hultgren pushes for CHIP funding ahead of ...
* Indivisible billboard targets Hultgren, Ro...
* Good government - The Daily Progress
* Hultgren pleads for continued funding of f...
* Hultgren Welcomes United Kingdom Commitmen...
* 14th District Democratic candidates square...
* Montgomery mayor hosts health care forum a...
* What suburban members of Congress say abou...

* DuPage getting $390000 to fight opioid epi......
* DuPage getting $390000 to fight opioid epi......

* DuPage getting $390000 to fight opioid epi......
* DuPage getting $390000 to fight opioid epi......

* A Look At The First Day Of The New Main Wilson Station Entrance
* Retailers get defensive about pop prices
* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* Frappuccinos With The Fuzz! Macchiatos With The Man!
* EXTRA: Video blasts from Chgo past
* Illinois REALTORS® support Legacy Awards in Springfield
* 4 more ways for REALTORS® to stay safe and protect their customers
* Barrido fundraiser set for Wednesday, October 4 in River Forest
* CTA Video Of Wilson Station, Past and Present
* If Teachers Unions Are So Great, Why Aren’t Our Schools?

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Huawei Mate 10 Lite breaks cover in full, with a total of four cameras and a ‘FullView’ display
* What does Google’s partnership with HTC mean for you?
* Three-year-old Nexus Player officially gets Android Oreo after nasty-looking bug
* Analyst: iPhone X delayed as mass production has not even started yet
* Myst-Like Puzzle Game 'The Witness' Now Available From the App Store