Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Tweeting instead of debating
Tweeting instead of debating

Wednesday, Dec 5, 2012

* A proposal to allow undocumented immigrants to obtain drivers permits sailed through the Senate yesterday on a huge bipartisan vote of 41-16

During 50 minutes of floor debate on the measure, which now moves to the House, only one senator spoke in opposition.

“Equal protection under the law and under the Constitution certainly goes hand in hand with equal responsibility to follow the law. I am in favor of legal immigration but oppose illegal immigration,” said Sen. Chris Lauzen (R-Aurora).

But other Republicans backed the plan, including Senate Minority Leader Christine Radogno (R-Lemont), who was among 11 members of the Senate GOP to vote for the measure.

Lauzen’s speech…

* But while opponents stayed mostly quiet on the floor, Sen. Kyle McCarter was actively Tweeting during the debate…

I’m really not a fan of this. If you’re gonna Tweet about a debate, at least have the stones to get up and speak your mind to your colleagues.

But maybe I’m wrong. Your thoughts?

* Related…

* GOP support helps move immigrant driver’s licenses

* Illegal immigrant driver’s license getting bipartisan support

* Illinois Republican leaders jump on immigration reform bandwagon

1. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Hey @CapitolFax!If I want to hide behind my “the twitter” tweets against my colleagues, and look petty, it’s my business & career! #BeingDopeyOnTheFloorOrTweetingIsMyThing

2. - Colossus - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

Seems to me that Twitter is the official app of the Peanut Gallery.

3. - PublicServant - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:27 am:

And this guy was running for Radogno’s job. Nice. A guy who wanted to lead his fellow legislators tweeting behind the scenes. What a stand up guy…err no wait; he didn’t stand up.

4. - Adam Smith - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:28 am:

The only difference between McCarter and Lauzen is that Lauzen is not afraid of showing he’s narrow-minded. Chris has raised it to an art form in his completely useless legislative career.

You are absolutely right, Rich. What is the downside for McCarter to get up and stand up for his principles? Get up there and stoke up the animosity for the fastest growing demographic voting bloc in the nation. Maybe in a few elections, the five votes you got for leader will be a winning majority.

5. - RookiePhenom - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:30 am:

While I don’t mind the use of livetweeting during a debate, do one of two things: (1)save it until after the debate and (2) speak up your mind while in session to explain why you think this state is turning into a sanctuary.

(Perhaps he didn’t want to sound like a dolt on the floor)

6. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:32 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - That wasn’t me tweeting. My twitter account was hacked by right-wing, narrow minded, exclusionists. Not that I don’t disagree with them…#ItWasMeButWasntMeHiding

7. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:35 am:

Quinn should put McCarter on campaign payroll.

8. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:38 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - the Sangamon SA says tweeting, for me, is the best way to be confrontational & out of the SA’s Hair. #DoingTheRightThingLegally

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Boy, I am surprised people are paying attention to me. But then why are the SGOP Members ignoring me? #TooChickenToSayThingsToTheirFace

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I asked some of my SGOP collegues about their thoughts on a bill & they told me to watch their “the twitter” accts. #ItsBetterThanWhenTheyIgnoreMyPhoneCalls

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I know I am right. I want to say it from the Mountain tops…Maybe. #EasyToStandUpForSomethingWhileHiding

9. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:39 am:

Reminds me of the kid in class whispering nasties across the aisle about the kid giving a speech in front of class. Speaking of class, tweeting in such a way shows damn little of it.

10. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:41 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I just got great news. @FakePresidentCullerton just said to me “Never worry, I promise, I always want you in the IL Senate.” #JobSecurityBaby

11. - Five Percenter - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:43 am:

Just proves the vote for Radogno was the right thing to do. McCarter #fail

12. - LandSnark - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:43 am:

After last year and getting the Jacobs “finger push” for standing up against him and ComEd can you really blame the guy? #LessonLearned #Snark

13. - Small Town Liberal - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:44 am:

- But maybe I’m wrong. Your thoughts? -

Nope, not wrong. Twitter is great for keeping people informed and organizing around issues, but it’s not for debate in the GA.

Ironic that McCarter lambasted (on twitter, of course) his colleagues for not having the courage to oust their leader, but he doesn’t seem to have the courage to get up and speak his mind.

14. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:46 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Usually, speeches are given, then tweeted, I find tweeting than never speaking is less dopey. #NeverSaySomethingToSomeonesFaceIfYouCanTweetIt

15. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:49 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Let me be quite clear; I will talk to mt colleagues about my tweets, when they let me know where the SGOP is caucusing instead of sending me to the Water Closet! #HoldingMyBreathTillTakenSeriously

16. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:51 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I can lead a diverse caucus, guaranteed! As long as they agree w/me, it would’ve worked. #NotTolerantOfTheTolerant

17. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:53 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - If you re-tweet this on your “the twitter” account, I will read your “the twiiter” handle into the record. #MightAsWellBeProductiveWhileTweeting

18. - BehindTheScenes - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:55 am:

What part of the phrase ‘illegal immigrants’ do these 41 not understand? They’re breaking our laws so lets ignore that and reward them. Since a commenter is already calling them ‘the fastest growing demographic voting bloc in the nation’, I suppose letting them vote to expand the benefits the country is already giving them is right around the corner. If we know how many of them there are, why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way?

19. - schwartzee - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:57 am:

He should have said something on the floor. Tweeting during the debate was so juvenile.
    Also, I’m not picking on anyone in particular, I would just like to ask people to consider this - no human being is illegal. Please read this article and think about it before you refer to someone as an “illegal” again.

20. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:57 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I have the pulse of what the people of IL want! #WhereDoYouCheckForAPulseAgain

21. - Small Town Liberal - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:58 am:

- why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way? -

Maybe a big brain like you can come up with a feasible way to do that. I’ll keep an eye out for the headlines.

22. - Sophomore - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:59 am:

Brady’s last minute pandering to illegals will not get him elected Governor. All he is doing is eroding his already skeptical base.

23. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:59 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Reminder to all my SGOP colleagues; I will be having a reception for my dear frieds, in all of your honor tonight. Don’t be late. #TableForOne

24. - schwartzee - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:00 am:

I meant to actually post this article:

25. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:06 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - I do NOT want all my colleagues to be the same, I just want all of them to either be exactly LIKE me, or love me! #DuhItsAlwaysAboutMe

26. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:12 am:

lol

===”Kyle McCarter‏@SenatorMcCarter - will get recording of Sen. Lauzen’s comments on floor & post. spot on. I could not have said it better. Sen. Lauzen will be missed.”===

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Because Sen. Lauzen has a backbone to say what I want to, but can only tweet. Sen. Lauzen will be missed, indeed! #LeaveYourBackboneTakeTheCannoli

27. - just sayin' - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:14 am:

“If you’re gonna Tweet about a debate, at least have the stones to get up and speak your mind to your colleagues.”

Totally agree Rich. McCarter just reminds people why he was a nonstarter even when it came to replacing a weak and ineffective Radogno. Imagine any real leader in history just hanging back and tweeting.

@honestabe - someone should really do something about this whole slavery thing.

28. - Darienite - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:15 am:

Isn’t Lauzen a lame-duck, as he just got elected as the Kane County Board Chairman? And doesn’t Elgin and Aurora have sizeable Hispanic populations? Look for the Kane County Dems to be planning for 2016.

29. - Dan Shields, Springfield, IL - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:17 am:

When I took the required drivers education course in high school I was taught that being issued a drivers license and driving were privileges, privileges that could be removed do to illegal behavior. So now our lawmakers want to reward illegal behavior with a privilege, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. How can this demographic be a voting bloc when they are not even US citizens. This entire issue just baffles me.

30. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:21 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Boy, as a Leader, I wish I could BE a leader and stuff, like even talking during debate. Maybe next time. #StandingUpToBeCountedIsTooToughTweetingIsEasier

31. - Just Me - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:24 am:

Just what we need: more Congress-like behavior.

32. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:25 am:

=== privileges that could be removed do to illegal behavior===

Driving-related illegal behavior. People on parole can get drivers licenses.

33. - Norseman - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:40 am:

I agree with so many others that he should have had the stones to speak. However, it doesn’t surprise me.

Unfortunately, we are now living in the world of social media. The art of oratory and verbal communication is becoming a lost one.

34. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:47 am:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - For all those railing against me, how about you stand up and say that to my fa … uh, nevermind. #CowardlyLionWasOntoSomething

35. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:52 am:

These are not “illegals” who are “breaking our laws” for which they are being “rewarded”. What blind nonsense!

They are human beings, who immigrated without proper documentation and thereby broke a law probably years ago (just like many of our licensed drivers,) and we want to regulate their driving for public safety purposes.

36. - MrJM - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:06 am:

The tweeters are presuming that their Twitter noise can rally the base without alienating/motivating Hispanic voters.

Speaking in opposition, on the floor, on the record, like a grownup, would come with a political price that these heroes are not willing to pay.

– MrJM

37. - Long Time Listener - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:28 am:

I actually prefer Senator McCarter to tweet his inane thoughts rather than shouting them on the floor and wasting everyone’s time.

38. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:56 am:

Rich, you hit the nail on the head.

It is one thing to critique legislation you refrain from speaking on.

It is quite another to cheerlead or criticize your colleagues’ specific comments via twitter as you personally utter not. one. single. word.

Maybe next time Senator McCarter can hold up a green or red crayon on the floor to express his approval or displeasure with the comments of his peers.

39. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:08 pm:

@fakeSenatorMcCarter - I heard some SGOP members were talking about me during study hall. Wait till I see them @ lunch. I might even ignore them. #ActLikeAKidTreatedLikeAKid

40. - Lil Enchilada - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:29 pm:

Guess you have to consider the source…
    love your comment Long Time Listener.

41. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 12:31 pm:

@FakeSenatorMcCarter - Hey, why is everyone calling me “Yellow Button”. That makes no sense! #YellowButtonIsTheChickenButtonRight

42. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 1:01 pm:

– why can’t we round them up and put them on a bus back home and let them come back to the land of opportunity the correct and legal way? –

Because we desperately need them to do the tough, dirty jobs that enable the rest of us to go about our business every day.

–So now our lawmakers want to reward illegal behavior with a privilege, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. How can this demographic be a voting bloc when they are not even US citizens. This entire issue just baffles me.–

Dan, I’m sure many things baffle you.

Try to follow:

When chowder-headed politicians demonize a class of hard-working people on the basis of race, those of that race who are citizens, and can vote, tend to notice, and act accordingly.

43. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 1:55 pm:

===Kind of like Cook County voters. If politicians are dumb enough to constantly insult the largest and richest group of voters, they reap what they sow.===

It’s all “Dem”, there are no “Repubs” to find!

I just hope that Senator McCarter is not in charge or “Voter Outreach”, but then again, Senator McCarter might chicken out again, say nothing and tweet.

Facebook and Twitter are Forever.

44. - Lobo Y Olla - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 2:52 pm:

“Dan, I’m sure many things baffle you.”

OK, 1st time I’ve laughed out loud reading this blog.

That merits a cocktail.

45. - wishbone - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:09 pm:

““Now we’re expected to believe that folks who are already breaking the immigration law, the employment law, the traffic laws will now follow the insurance law,” he said.”

It may not guarantee they will follow the law, but at least it gives them the opportunity to follow the law.

46. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:04 pm:

It’s funny that you enlightened intellectuals have a bigger issue with someone tweeting in protest instead of people in our state illegally who happen to frequently tap into financial resources provided by the taxpayers who are legally here. For all you know, the SGOP “leadership” might have mandated silence from the caucus.

Your lack of logic and the inane things you choose to focus on are contributing factors to the financial and economic mess this state is in.

Why don’t we get back to basics? Spend less than you make. Along those lines, don’t provide services and benefits to people who come to this country illegally. It’s one thing to say that it’s financially impossible to remove the illegals; it’s another thing to say that it’s financially impossible to halt financial support for them.

47. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

Logic, this is the third post this week alone on this bill. We’ve already debated the merits. We’ve also had a question of the day. Either keep up or go away.

48. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:11 pm:

That’s the best response you have, Rich? Enlightened and illuminating.

49. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:14 pm:

Logic, we can only debate an issue so much days in a row before it gets stale. Even Squeezy got stale. Other angles are needed. If you don’t like it, there’s the door.

50. - Logic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:22 pm:

Why don’t you talk about something substantive instead of Twitter/debate etiquette?

51. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:29 pm:

Sigh.

We have adressed the substance of this issue several times over several days.

It’s not my fault that you are too dense to comprehend this fact.

It is my fault for letting you ignorantly highjack this thread, however. That will be fixed.

52. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:31 pm:

===It’s funny that you enlightened intellectuals have a bigger issue with someone tweeting in protest…===

Sen. McCarter was elected to DEBATE an issue, not TWEET while others DEBATE … that is the issue. If Sen. McCarter feels Tweeting is more important, and letting a Lame duck member make all his points, why the heck is he in the IL Senate.

53. - Elder - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:10 pm:

McCarter is losing Lauzen…. but all is not lost!!! Oberweis to the rescue!!!!

54. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:27 pm:

McCarter’s tweeting served him so well in the leadership battle, why stop now?

* *** LIVE *** Session coverage
* Kennedy blames "corruptible" assessment "racket" for underfunded schools
* Different budget perspectives
* Pritzker creates website, Pawar hits the road
* Can we learn anything from California?
* Not a huge mystery
* Push is on for Springfield casino
* Pols call for probe of warehouse deal
* How are we going to pay for this?
* Doctors voting with their feet
* Bank deposits and bank failures again issues here
* This is the wrong hill to die on

* Public finance campaign bill picks up momentum..
* Workers’ comp changes could face Illinois Senat.....
* Morning Spin: Preckwinkle says she’ll run for r.....
* Morning Spin: Preckwinkle says she'll run for r.....
* Workers' comp changes could face Illinois Senat.....
* Workers' comp changes could face Illinois Senat.....
* GOP seeks recruits to oppose Mendoza, Madigan -.....

* EXCHANGE: Veteran says unit remained vulnerable after war
* Authorities: Boy dies after truck rolls over him in Illinois
* Museums team up for reflection on former Gov. James Thompson
* Joliet Central students build prosthetic hand for boy, 11
* Developer has vision for casino, Springfield development
* Roskam calls proposed cuts to Great Lakes project an error
* Roskam calls proposed cuts to Great Lakes project an error
* Apollo 11 relic owned by Illinois woman to be auctioned off
* Apollo 11 relic owned by Illinois woman to be auctioned off
* Head of Chicago nonprofit accused using grant funds on self

* Museums team up for reflection on former Gov. James Thompson
* Workers' comp changes could face Illinois Senate vote
* Sangamon among counties in jury diversity pilot project
* Developer Chris Stone pushing for casino in downtown Springfield
* Developer Stone pushing for casino in downtown Springfield
* Push to rename road after late Macon County sheriff
* Tricky, unpopular budget at crux of Senate 'grand bargain'
* Blagojevich attorneys ask for another appeals court hearing
* Rauner administration denies it planted false info about school funding reform
* Illinois to change sex-abuse law with help of Hastert victim

* Ex-McDonald's CEO Thompson buys control of a pizza chain
* Public finance campaign bill picks up momentum
* Booth alum donates $20 million to school's Social Enterprise Initiative
* Delay on Obamacare subsidy decision leaves insurers in limbo
* Alderman gets help from colleagues in Jeff Park housing flap

* Children among victims of suicide bomb at Ariana Grande show
* Person shot to death in Elk Grove Village
* Police: Man shot to death in East Side
* Man shot in Washington Park
* Police: Aurora man tried to hide gun under vehicle, run from officers
* Smartly there! Latest ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ picks up the pace
* Sam Roberson, leader of Congo Square Theatre Company, dies at 34
* Cases dismissed: NBC cancels ‘Chicago Justice’
* Flight took off with disruptive passenger despite red flags
* Dear Abby: Is Florida man nuts for wearing a kilt?

* All aboard: Joliet Rocket steamin' into town
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 5/23/17
* Children among victims of suicide bomb at Manchester Ariana Grande show
* One dead, 9 hospitalized in California botulism outbreak linked to nacho cheese
* 2 dead, 1 wounded in Woodridge shooting
* Meet the Kellogg MBA students whose RompHim broke the Internet
* Trump condemns 'evil losers' who carried out Manchester concert attack
* Naperville teen's senseless tragedy: 'They scared him to death'
* Morning Spin: Preckwinkle says she'll run for re-election next year
* Omarr's daily astrological forecast, For release 05/23/17 for 05/23/17

» 2 More Leaks Found Along Dakota Access Pipeline
» Springfield Casino? A Businessman Likes The Odds
» Bevy Of Bobcats: Thriving Animals Poised As Next Urban Pest
» New York Parade Organizers Support Honoring Puerto Rican Nationalist
» Durbin: Too Early For Talk Of Impeachment
» Finding Closure: Cook County Families Get a Chance to Find Missing Loved Ones
» Mayor: More HIV Positive Chicaogoans Than Ever Receive Treatment
» Illinois’ Medicaid Problems Could Jeopardize Money For Schools, State Workers, Attorneys say
» CPD To Delay Start Of New Use-Of-Force Policy
» CPD Defends Start Date Of New Use-Of-Force Policy

* Museums team up for reflection on former Gov. James Thompson
* Workers' comp changes could face Illinois Senate vote
* Sangamon among counties in jury diversity pilot project
* Developer Chris Stone pushing for casino in downtown Springfield
* Sounding the Alarm: Entrenched politics require real reforms in Illinois
* Marc Thiessen: Leakers who revealed Israel as intelligence source did far more damage than Trump
* Developer Stone pushing for casino in downtown Springfield
* Push to rename road after late Macon County sheriff
* Sounding the Alarm: A look at Illinois' financial crisis
* George Will: Federal power spins its ever-growing web

* Time to pull those umbrellas out as rains roll into the metro-east
* Area Calendar 5/23/17
* This day in history, May 23, 2017
* Area history, May 23, 2017
* Top of the Morning, May 23, 2017
* Benches preserve memories of classmates who are gone
* Rick's Six: Flood watch, blast kills 22, Cyclone football and Hauberg partnership
* Game populations in Southern Illinois fare OK with recent flooding
* Commentary: End fear-mongering over healthcare
* Reader photo: Waiting for somebunny

* Dawn Patrol: Voters defeat Antioch Golf Club proposal; man shot, killed in Elk Grove Village
* UK blast: Blood, horror as bomber strikes young crowd; man arrested
* 'Sad commentary' on mental health help: Money matters in treatment access
* Leroy Sane pulls out of Germany's Confederations Cup squad
* A call for patience during investigation of campus stabbing

* Batavia resident announces candidacy for 1...
* Comey's firing, health care fuel voters' a...
* Teacher raised in Yorkville running agains...
* Jim Walz Will Challenge Randy Hultgren for...
* PHOTOS: Protesters stage die-in at Randy H...
* Protesters continue die-in at US Rep. Rand...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren's office the scene ...
* Local Republicans, Democrats praise appoin...
* Second Democrat announces bid to unseat Hu...
* Batavia resident, teacher hopes to challen...

* Durbin Asks Feds for Help with Gun Violenc......

* Duckworth votes against Branstad as ambass......
* Democrat Senator Asks NSA for Security Det......

* Immigrants In Detention Centers Are Often Hundreds Of Miles From Legal Help
* The [Tuesday] Papers
* Buena Park Circle's Summer Entertainment Schedule Announced
* Celebrate National Hamburger Day Meat-Free at Kāl'ish Short Order Vegan
* Aldermen Call For Task Force to Reduce Jail Recividism
* The [Thursday] Papers
* Can Low-Wage Industries Survive Without Immigrants And Refugees?
* Small Donor Matching System Bill Passes State Senate
* Meet Limo Bob
* Championship Bowling! Lou Campi vs. Joe Norris

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* OnePlus 5 may or may not offer four color choices, including ‘unicorn’, this summer
* Pay-to-View 'Amazon Channels' Come to Prime Members in the U.K. and Germany
* AT&T will launch LTE-capable Samsung Gear S3 classic on May 26 starting at $250
* Chinese trio carve up a quarter of global smartphone sales in Q1: Gartner
* Apple in Talks With India State Officials to Expand iPhone Production Capacity
* Nokia and Apple agree to bury the patent hatchet… again, signing new ‘multi-year’ license
* IKEA Trådfri Smart Lighting System to Get Apple HomeKit Support