Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Just show the game
Just show the game

Friday, Jan 18, 2013

Thou are not for the fashion of these times,
Where none will sweat but for promotion

* The Olympics have scored ratings gold by emphasizing personalities and personal lives as much - or even sometimes more - than the actual sporting events.

As a result, I have a hard time watching the Olympics broadcasts. I wanna see sports. I don’t care all that much that some athlete overcame [insert disease or setback here] to triumph in sports. I wanna see the action.

Soap operatic back stories now permeate pretty much all sports coverage. Count me as disinterested. Just show the game, for crying out loud.

* Despite my misgivings, this stuff works. How many more people became interested in international cycling competitions because of Lance Armstrong’s astounding comeback from cancer to win seven straight times at the Tour de France? Lots.

It’s just a money thing - a way to induce more people to watch an event that they probably had no interest in whatsoever. I don’t care about Tim Tebow’s religion or political beliefs. I care whether he can perform on the field. But a whole lot of other people do care about his back story, so we’ve been inundated with coverage. I just turn it off.

It’s not like I’ve been totally immune to this, either. I was fascinated by the Tonya Harding drama. But that craziness was directly related to the event. I mean, she had a clearly superior opponent knee-capped in a thuggish bid to win gold. Wow. Now we’re talking my kind of story.

* This Manti Te’o stuff never really interested me. It’s not like I’m heartless or something. I agree that his was a tragic story of loss and heartbreak. Great TV. Saturation coverage. Heckuva drama. And, as it turns out, a total fraud.

There’s no way sports coverage will change because of this scandal. There’s too much money involved. So, now, Armstrong’s downfall allows talking heads to endlessly pontificate about what a bad man he is. Tebow’s lack of talent wouldn’t even rate 30 seconds on local news if he had no back story, but the teevee types love to yap about his future and will continue to do so. And the Te’o stuff is now even “better” TV. Much better.

Rick Morrissey

We really, really wanted to believe the story about Te’o’s ­girlfriend, didn’t we?

Better to approach sports with an arched eyebrow. You’ll save yourself a lot of pain.

Better to just forget about this relentless quest for the perfect back story and just show the action. But it’ll never happen. Sports is a big-money soap opera, so the greed heads ain’t gonna change, even though they’ve always ruined everything they’ve ever touched.

1. - walkinfool - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:35 am:

Kinda like how we view our politicians?

2. - Davey Boy Smithe - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:36 am:

ESPN shows 3 hours of pregame for NFL on Sundays! All I want to do is watch the game. And enough with pushing the kickoff for Monday Night games to something like 7:36. Just kickoff right at 7:30. I don’t need to be told anything else besides the plays or strategies.

This Te’o story is just weird and it’s just going to get weirder.

3. - Leave a Light on George - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:38 am:

Wasn’t much action Teo’s last game to show unless missed tackles excites you.

4. - Langhorne - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:39 am:

I agree w you. In the jim McKay era (70s) the actual sporting event was the focus. They would highlight someone for winning, not bec the family escaped from tyranny so little tadpole could swim here. And they did a good job in spite of primitive technology

5. - Wensicia - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:43 am:

I don’t understand why the press and advertising agencies try to portray sport superstars as some kind of heroes. When they’re proven quite the opposite, the press goes nuts with vilification.

Hey, you guys buy and print the fairy tales. It’s on you.

6. - johhnypizza - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:44 am:

Not only is the melodrama unnecessary, the backchecking failure of all the media types shouts out about the amateurish state of what passes for major media journalism in the 21st century.

7. - Ready To Get Out - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:49 am:

Have to agree. Not heartless, but I turn on a game to watch the game. There are plenty of hours available for the human interest stories.

Also watched less of the Olympics because of that. And I’ve gotten addicted to the DVR, rarely watch anything live anymore.

8. - wordslinger - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:49 am:

If your mama tells you she loves you, check it out.

The Te’O story is one of the greatest journalism burns that I can remember. It went on month after month — on ESPN, in Sports Illustrated, on NBC — without anyone doing the basic J-101 legwork. The sob story was too good and made to order.

The dude on deadspin who broke the story is still in college, for crying out loud. The story took him all of five days from tip to publishing.

No one, literally, died over this, but I bet some journalists are going to lose their jobs due to their own sloppiness and neglect. And the hoax nearly propelled Te’O to a very lucrative Heisman Trophy, even though he wasn’t even close to being the best college football player in the country.

Te’O has spent years receiving some of the most fawning, sympathetic treatment from journalists, ever. He’s about to see the dark side of journalists burned.

He better call Oprah in a hurry, get it all out and get it behind him. Because it ain’t going away.

9. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:50 am:

Sometimes the reverse is true as well. Case in point: Ray Lewis, star linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens, who might be playing in his last game on Sunday before retiring after a great career on the gridiron.

Expect all of the writers and broadcasters to describe him as a first ballot hall of famer, the best linebacker of his era, etc.

Nobody wants to talk about the fact that he was an accessory to murder and refused to cooperate with police after a member of his entourage stabbed a man to death.

Steroids and cheating are horrible. But are they worse than lying to protect a murderer?

A raised eyebrow indeed. And maybe a little perspective too.

10. - Kasich Walker, Jr. - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:50 am:

Since I am not much of a college football fan, I wasn’t familiar with any of the Notre Dame linebacker’s story until yesterday, nor do I have much interest in the Olympics.

“…We really, really wanted to believe…”

Huh?

Who wanted to believe what?

I hope the NHLPA says no to Olympic participation.

11. - Downstater - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 10:57 am:

One of qualifications to be an announcer is how much hype he can add to each play. I turn down the sound.
    And Ray Lewis. Great linebacker. So, So human being.

12. - Skeptic - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:00 am:

I watched most of the London Olympics on NBC’s video stream which not only showed the sports I wanted to see (Equestrian and White water kayaking on TV? Yeah, right.) but most of the time without the blather of announcers and completely free of all the “Up Close and Personal” stuff. It was the best coverage ever. Then I watched some coverage on TV. I think I spent 20 minutes in front of the screen and saw about 30 seconds of actual competition. *Click*

I remember years ago NBC tried an Announcer-less game. I wish they would again. And for other sports too.

13. - bored now - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:04 am:

sports is just reality tv for men. it’s all about tugging at the heartstrings, because that’s how we remain loyal (how else could you explain a cubs fan’s loyalty?)…

14. - scurvydog - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:16 am:

I’m with you, Rich. Whenever I feel the need for back story and drama, I watch “Brian’s Song”. Alone.

15. - wordslinger - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:17 am:

–Who wanted to believe what?–

The sob story, or human interest story, whatever you want to call it.

They’re standard in all sports coverage now (you’ll know they’re coming when you hear the strings and the soft-tinkling of piano).

It’s an effort to expand the audience. Who cares about the Tour de France? But Lance Armstrong winning despite cancer is a universal story. Not everyone cares about college football. But a young man performing at a high level despite the loss of his grandmother and girlfriend within hours (or days, or something) is a universal story.

16. - walkinfool - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:21 am:

“sports is just reality tv for men. it’s all about tugging at the heartstrings”

the heartstrings?

17. - Jaded - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:30 am:

I blame Phil Donahue,Barbara Walters and Oprah. They made “the back story” big business, and now everybody wants a piece of it.

18. - bored now - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:32 am:

as strange as it may seem, we remember and act more viscerally than rationally. i don’t know where the myth of the rational man came from, but for some reason, we like to believe that we act rationally.

tv producers know better…

19. - Joe Bidenopoulous - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:33 am:

The complicity of the media shouldn’t be whitewashed either. Sports media is essentially a walking conflict-of-interest. Is NBC going to go after anything at at ND considering their lucrative contract to show their football games? Can ESPN do serious investigative work into the NFL, MLB, or various college leagues considering they are financial partners with them? Would Tribune reporters take a closer look if they didn’t fear losing their coveted access and tips?

The list of organizations that missed this one is huge, and in almost every instance, there’s at least an appearance of a conflict of interest in some respect. Objective sports journalism basically doesn’t exist, which is exactly why a site like Deadspin does.

20. - Kasich Walker, Jr. - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:39 am:

“…The sob story, or human interest story, whatever you want to call it…”

Mute button, or wait until game time to watch, though I admit the more I find about the Notre Dame story the more I enjoy it.

NCAA football broadcasters reached that far to broaden their base so more advertisers will pay attention.

Shame on that linebacker! Shame! How can he make up stories about imaginary girlfriends…or allow himself to be so duped.

He should spend more time memorizing creeds or learning about virgin birth and papal infallibility.

21. - Skeeter - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:40 am:

Completely agree. I just want to watch a game and forget about everything else.

A few years ago, the Phoenix Suns got involved in the dispute over immigration. It annoyed the heck out of me. Rather than watch basketball, we had to hear about some divisive issue.

At times, we just need a break from politics.

That may be part of the reason that I follow soccer. Other than the fact that it a great sport to watch, I know that the controversy will be over whether a player flopped or whether a red card was deserved or whether they should adopt goal line technology. It has nothing to do with politics.

22. - shore - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:43 am:

I’m with you to a large extent especially as a cubs fan who thinks a large part of the teams problem has been their focus on selling the “product” rather than building a winning team. I’m also sick of the 85 bears nonstop self promotion.

On the other hand the relationships between jordan and his father, jordan/jackson/krause and reinsdorf were the central drivers of why that team never finished its run and topped the russell celtics 8 in a row. I’m with you on the olympics, but those kids work their hearts out, are mostly good role models, represent parts of america we don’t hear about too much in an nyc dominated media and take on tremendous personal and financial sacrifice to get there.

You have to sort out what’s relevant and what’s bs and that’s up to you guys who do this for a living to decide.

23. - Jerome Horwitz - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:45 am:

It’s stories like this that sell advertisements for the media. I’ts all about the money. Sports stories and sports are entertainment. In order to promote the entertainment, there has to be drama.

24. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:47 am:

===why that team never finished its run and topped the russell celtics 8 in a row===

Some believe that Michael’s gambling problem played a part in his decisiont to try minor league baseball instead of going for another title.

When the facts conflcit with the legend, go with the legend.

25. - RSW - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:48 am:

I agree with Langhorne. When you everyone perform — good and bad — the good performers stand out. With all the commercials and hype, pro football games are well over 3 hours. I have cut back on all sports.

26. - Gary Hutton - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:53 am:

No wonder Notre Dame star linebacker Manti Te’o’s game was “WAY OFF” during the national championship. This story was gonna break at any moment. Shame on him and Notre Dame!

27. - wordslinger - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:54 am:

Krause was obsessed with building his own team without. He’d drafted or signed everyone but Michael, but Michael got all the credit.

Plus, he was jealous of Phil, who he’d recruited as a high school player out on the Plains and had plucked from the Albany Patroons and gave the keys to the kingdom when Collins was fired (another story altogether, and nothing to do with basketball, lol).

Reinsdorf, for his part, I think, didn’t want to pay both Michael and Scottie when Pippen’s original (lousy) long-term deal expired.

28. - Cheryl44 - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:55 am:

I’m not even sure what a linebacker is, but the people who are complaining the media didn’t do any checking–really? Some kid says his girlfriend died and reporters are supposed to go look for the death notice? Really? Of course I guess now they will.

29. - 3rd Generation Chicago Native - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 11:59 am:

Between the commercials and the stories there is not much of the actual events left to watch of the Olympics.

30. - Nearly Normal - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 12:05 pm:

Years ago, the Olympics would give a short back story on the athlete. It was only a few minutes long and it was interesting. Then someone got the “bright” idea to make these long-winded sagas about the athletes. That was not necessary but it probably gave the network a chance to sell more advertising. These networks pay such huge sums to get the exclusive rights for the broadcast so they want to recoup as much of the expense as possible by getting more sponsors to pay for multiple ads at high prices.

In the meantime, most of us would rather watch the events and not deal with a half hour about some athlete. Remember the American skier who got such a build up before his event? He flopped.

Sad. Bad for sports but it must make money or it wouldn’t be on TV.

31. - Darienite - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 12:05 pm:

==In the Jim McKay era (70’s) the actual sporting event was the focus.==
    If I remember correctly, Jim McKay’s zenith was the reporting of the killing of the Israeli Olympians at the ‘72 games. Peggy Fleming, Jean-Claude Killy, Olga Korbut, Nadia, Bruce Jenner - all great athletes but magnified by McKay’s storytelling. Actually that was Roone Arlidge’s idea in order to appeal to the female viewer.

32. - wordslinger - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 12:10 pm:

–Some kid says his girlfriend died and reporters are supposed to go look for the death notice? Really?–

He did more than that. He made it — over and over again — his “compelling human interest” story that garnered him loads of national publicity and put him on the map for the Heisman Trophy — and that thing’s worth a lot of money, for life.

Colleges do full-blown marketing campaigns for the Heisman. Nobody could match Te’Os. If Johnny Football hadn’t beaten Bama in Tuscaloosa, Te’O would have won it.

33. - Joe Bidenopoulous - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 12:13 pm:

= but the people who are complaining the media didn’t do any checking–really?=

Um, yeah, really. That’s what journalists are supposed to do. It’s what word referred to in his “if you’re mama says she loves you, check it out.” That is, quite literally, one of the first things you’re taught in journalism. If they didn’t, then they simply are a propaganda arm for whomever is talking.

SIU J-school, ‘91

34. - MrJM - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 1:07 pm:

Pro-wrestling fans would reject a narrative as nutty as this Manti Te’o story.

– MrJM

35. - dupage dan - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 1:23 pm:

I think Paul Harvey is spinning in his grave knowing the rest of this story.

36. - wordslinger - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 1:36 pm:

Now, ESPN, the biggest peddler of these sob stories, and the biggest promoter of the Te’O sob story, is going after him with everything they have — and all with unnamed sources.

They are the poster child for shoddy journalism.

37. - Endangered Moderate Species - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 2:03 pm:

The medias coverage of sports is no different than their coverage of politics. These stories increase the ratings and sell advertising. When the stations are competing with more than a 1/2 dozen or more 24/7 sport stations and another 1/2 dozen or more 24/7 news stations, they learn to love the stories that keep going and going.

38. - Hans Vanity - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 2:23 pm:

“…Sports media is essentially a walking conflict-of-interest. …”

Considering the struggle between reason and emotion or heart and mind, aren’t we all?

39. - Amalia - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 3:01 pm:

yes, it is about the game, but the backstories fuel the money machine of sports. the myth makers sweep much under the rug. things must be looked at. is the NCAA going to investigate sexual assault cases at ND? players involved in the Lizzy Seeberg assault and another case played in that national championship game. what is going on at that university?

40. - wordslinger - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 3:18 pm:

– is the NCAA going to investigate sexual assault cases at ND? players involved in the Lizzy Seeberg assault and another case played in that national championship game. what is going on at that university?–

You’ve got that right, Amalia.

Lizzy was not only swept under the rug, but the St. Joe County, South Bend and Notre Dame authorities pretended like nothing happened and bullied her family. Makes me sick.

When Declan Sullivan got blown off the scissor lift to his death while filming practices, in the midst of historic high winds, Jack Swarbrick coldly called it a “freak accident.”

But he cried like a baby over Te’O.

I have a son who plays college football. I have another who will next year.

But don’t believe the hype. There are mercenary outlaw coaches at the highest levels out there who care about nothing but their next big score. And they will destroy anyone who gets in the way of it.

Did we learn nothing about the “clean” Penn State program?

41. - LincolnLounger - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 4:05 pm:

While people die and the Notre Dame p.r. machine spews its nonsense, the NCAA relentlessly polices politically-incorrect mascots.

42. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Jan 18, 13 @ 4:50 pm:

Lincoln, exactly.

* Report: HQ2 incentive package could top $2.25 billion
* More support for overriding Rauner veto of debt transparency bill
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Yet another problem at DCFS
* Will Illinois really break the spending record?
* Ives gears up, Walsh waits in wings
* *** UPDATED x1 *** "I’ve had hands up my skirt. I’ve had my hair pulled - There’s just kind of nothing you can really do"
* Rauner's federal pension idea allows "some level of bankruptcy"
* Dems pounce on new Rauner ad
* Poll: Pritzker leads Kennedy and Biss 39-15-6
* Rate the Rauner campaign kickoff video

* Gov. Rauner announces re-election bid - WLS-TV..
* Lawmakers Push For Transparency In State Debt -.....
* Signing of Abortion Bill Impacting Support for .....
* It's official: Gov. Rauner says he will seek a .....
* Rauner makes re-election bid official with vide.....
* Rauner makes re-election bid official with vide.....
* Rauner makes re-election bid official with vide.....
* Illinois governor makes re-election bid officia.....
* Illinois governor makes re-election bid officia.....
* Illinois governor makes re-election bid officia.....

* Future of king salmon uncertain in Great Lakes
* Smithsonian museum to exhibit post from pipeline protest
* Chicago man dies when truck intentionally struck his vehicle
* Illinois governor makes re-election bid official with video
* Man faces gun charges after Chicago restaurant brawl
* Meijer recalls some packaged produce due to listeria risk
* Meijer recalls some packaged produce due to listeria risk
* Dem attorneys general unite against concealed-carry gun law
* 4 Wheaton College players to be arraigned in battery case
* 4 Wheaton College players to be arraigned in battery case

* Gov. Rauner makes re-election bid official with video
* Governor's race could be costliest in U.S. history
* Voter advocates push Illinois to exit multistate database
* Lawmakers set to return Tuesday for veto session
* Illinois Lottery's new manager projects $4B in sales
* UIS students could study at newly proposed Chicago research center
* Aaron Schock attorneys contest federal claims on misstatements
* Under the Dome Podcast: Will lawmakers address gun control during the veto session?
* Chicago lawyer announces bid for Illinois attorney general
* Illinois borrows $1.5B at reduced interest to pay down debt

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* Northwest Indiana: 'Right-to-work zone'
* Is Dem primary over? No, but Pritzker rivals need to pick up pace
* The biggest Chicago-area building sales
* Here are the sites Chicago is pitching to Amazon

* A Tesori musical, tales of war, and more in Griffin’s 30th season
* Police: Man pressed revolver to officer’s chest, tried to disarm him
* LETTERS: Slain teacher was doing what we all should be able to do
* 14-year-old missing girl last seen leaving Far South Side high school
* Chicago’s Amazon bid includes $2.25 billion incentive package
* Foo Fighters to perform at Wrigley Field next summer
* Amazon says it received 238 proposals for 2nd headquarters
* Halas Intrigue: How good can the Bears be? Breaking down their victory
* Justin Timberlake to perform at Super Bowl LII
* Foo Fighters will return to Wrigley Field next July

* Catalans said to plan human shield to block Madrid takeover
* Suspect in Grayslake-area shooting death held on $5 million bail
* Senate presses ahead on $36.5B Puerto Rico disaster relief package
* Megyn Kelly blasts O'Reilly, Fox in extraordinary statement about harassment
* At least 67 bodies found after Islamic State 'massacre' in Syria town
* The Green Bay Packers played without Aaron Rodgers, and it went about how you'd expect
* BrightFarms recalls greens from Mariano's out of E. coli concerns
* Suspect in custody in fatal shooting near Grayslake
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 10/23/17
* Investing: Investing in your peak savings years

» Lawmakers Push For Transparency In State Debt
» Rauner Makes Re-election Bid Official With Video
» Where Can Homeless People Pitch Tents In Chicago?
» Voter Advocates Push Illinois To Exit Multistate Database
» Lawmaker Says Facebook Refuses To Fact Check Ads
» State Week: Chasing Amazon, Bonding Debt
» Teaching Kids To ‘Say Something’ In An Era of School Shootings
» Illinois Issues: Cities Lose Out On Retail Tax As Online Shopping Booms
» What Could Hurt Chicago’s Bid For Amazon’s HQ2?
» At CPS, More Special Education Dollars Go To White, Wealthier Students

* Gov. Rauner makes re-election bid official with video
* George Will: The fatal conceit of planning for the future
* Our View: Overriding this veto is a no-brainer
* Governor's race could be costliest in U.S. history
* Statehouse Insider: Will veto session show GOP revolt?
* Our View: Figure out how to make Innovation Network a reality
* Angie Muhs: Recognizing what resonates with readers
* Guest View: It's time for more oversight at CWLP
* Young Philanthropists: Banding together to make a difference
* Voter advocates push Illinois to exit multistate database

* Illinois governor makes re-election bid official with video
* Best of the week: Janet Jackson, 'World of Dance' and Halloween parades on tap
* After years of searching, adoption mystery solved
* Ten reports of abuse weren’t enough to save ‘Princess’ Emily
* Lady Bulldogs finish fourth, qualify for sectionals
* Listeria is rare but dangerous
* Metro-east man’s death remains a mystery – months after police found him in pond
* History Corner: Decatur-area photos of the past
* 10 @ 10: Jewell's return, former Hawks in NFL, and cold start for Minnesota
* Bulldogs chew up Trojans to cap perfect regular season

* 4 Wheaton College players plead not guilty in hazing case
* Camping World expands again in Florida
* Waukegan man charged in fatal shooting near Grayslake
* Smithsonian museum to exhibit post from pipeline protest
* AC Milan's Bonucci issued 2-match ban for elbowing

* Hultgren aims to help employers close the ...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* Bipartisan group of lawmakers pushes job t...
* Hundreds of high school students tour Smit...
* Measure extends term of FSOC independent m...
* Rival: Kinzinger not conservative - MyWebT...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...
* Will Trump continue to unravel Obama's leg...
* Democratic 14th Congressional District can...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...

* Dreaming about better legislation - The Tr......

* Infrastructure a priority in meeting with ......

* Trump Cuts Clean Power Plan, Boosts America’s Prospects
* How a Teachers Union is Protecting a Violent Antifa Radical
* How Media Sexism Demeans Women And Fuels Abuse By Men Like Weinstein
* Most Fortune 500 Companies Used Tax Havens In 2016
* Chicago History Museum Card Catalog Going Digital
* Chicagoetry: The War Of The Rainbows
* Police close Kenneka Jenkins investigation but for some photos of her body ‘raise more questions than answers,’ and other Chicago news
* “States’ rights” was always a euphemism for racism. Rauner’s call for Washington to overturn Illinois’ constitution demonstrates that fact.
* Tony at the Red Line Tap.
* What's Going On At JJ Pepper? Your Guess Is As Good As Ours

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Huawei already shipped 100 million smartphones in 2017, ‘working’ foldable ‘sample’ confirmed
* Best Buy shaves $250 off Galaxy Note 8, S8 and S8+ with Verizon monthly installments, $200 for AT&T subscribers
* Google Launches New Android-Based Mobile App Payment Solution 'Pay With Google'
* Huawei Watch 2 Pro makes domestic debut with eSIM at $390 equivalent
* Samung Galaxy S7 gets nod over Apple iPhone 8 according to Consumer Reports
* Animal Crossing Smartphone App Will Be the Focus of New Nintendo Direct Coming This Week
* This is most likely the low-cost Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 with a large 2:1 Full HD+ screen

* Podcast: 2017 White Sox Pitchers and Catchers season review
* Steep climbs ahead for oft-injured White Sox
* #AwardWorthy: Vote for Engel's glove
* Sporcle Saturday: Long bombs
* Petricka undergoes surgery on right elbow
* Avisail sees similarities in rebuild, stellar year
* White Sox Arizona Fall League overview