Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x1 *** Today’s Facebook post
*** UPDATED x1 *** Today’s Facebook post

Thursday, May 9, 2013

* From Republican state Rep. Ron Sandack’s Facebook page

As of this moment (9:22 am), 151 people “liked” Sandack’s post.

I don’t think this is a joke, by the way, even though Rep. Sandack supports the gay marriage bill.

Thoughts?

*** UPDATE *** Illinois Review reports that State Central Committeewoman Deb Detmers listed folks who have been contacted by the state GOP and have expressed an interest

* former Congressman Joe Walsh,
* former candidate for lietuenant governor Don Tracy,
* State Representative Ron Sandack,
* Cook County Commissioner Brad Schneider,
* former congressional candidate Jim Nalepa,
* State Central Committeeman Jack Dorgan,
* State Central Committeeman Mark Shaw and
* State Central Committeeman and head of Chicago Young Republicans Angel Garcia.

Eight others have been contacted with no reply yet, Detmers reported, while several others have been contacted and indicated no interest in “applying” for the position. The contacting process will continue until Sunday night, and then plans for interviews with the candidates will begin.

1. - Skeeter - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:28 am:

1. Ron would be a great public face for the GOP. Smart, moderate on social issues, fiscally conservative. Can actually win elections. Would be the kind of persons that could draw Chicago residents into the GOP, since he doesn’t seem to hate Chicago as much as many in the GOP do.

2. Given the reasons that Brady left, Ron has no chance at all to get the position.

2. - Darienite - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:31 am:

2 years ago, I believe he was Mayor of Downers Grove. Think he could be a good chair - he would definitely be a visual one.

3. - Darienite - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:31 am:

I meant ‘visible’, not visual.

4. - Dirty Red - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:34 am:

I agree 100% with Skeeter. I’m surprised by the out pour of public support from Democratic operatives and legislators on Twitter and Facebook yesterday. I can’t imagine that would help his chances.

5. - OneMan - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:34 am:

Run, don’t walk, run…

6. - Phenomynous - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:37 am:

Oberweis made it pretty clear that he doesn’t want rainbow sprinkles on his ice cream.

I say go for it!

7. - wordslinger - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:41 am:

“I think the Republican Party has to be open to different viewpoints. I think that is a positive. We need a chairman who will bring different elements of the party together to unify us,” Oberweis said.

8. - LincolnLounger - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:49 am:

I’m torn. He’d be a great face and spokesman for the Party; however, I fear it would do harm to his political future with the “My Way or the Highway” crowd. It’s not like we have a deep bench that we can “waste” one of our rising stars.

9. - Jeeves the Cat - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:55 am:

Half of Ron’s local GOP organization thinks he’s a pariah. He ran against their chair who was the incumbent Downers Grove mayor with Dem support and beat him. The IFI protest out in front of his office this past weekend certainly didn’t make him look like a conservative standard bearer either. If the once proud party really wants a new face, he’d certainly be new. I just don’t think they want it.

10. - wordslinger - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:56 am:

Taking on and beating those guys increases your cred with Independents in Illinois. And GOP candidates in Illinois can’t win without a big Independent vote.

I don’t think Edgar minded having primary challenges from Steve Baer and Jack Roeser. The contrast was very helpful.

11. - Casper - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:56 am:

Ron Sandack would be a great Republican Party Chair for these and other reasons -
    1. He has run and won elections
    2. Accountable to voters via elections
    3. Strong fiscal guy
    4. Prioritizes the issues for the good of the state
    There’s more but you get the point. The only way the Republican Party is a viable party in the next election is to have a leader that knows the campaign life, media savvy and good with people.

12. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:02 am:

I look at the “list of 8″ on IllinoisReview, and then I see this post by Rep. Sandack, and it just hits home, for me, all of the criteria - steven schnorf -, put forth for a candidate, and makes some listed pale in comparison to “a” Ron Sandack type of option.

For example, “a” Jim Nalepa-type should not even be in the mix except to show what we “don’t need”. No electoral success, not seen widely as a leader others will turn to come message time, and the losses “a” Nalepa-type has, are always lost in the precint level, in a street-like race as for congress. Imagine “a” Joe Walsh candidate, less the win(s), and less the idea how to work on structure of a state political aparatus.

The candidacy of “a” Ron Sandack-type is exactly like the type of “a” Matt Murphy candidate that can give this choice instant credibility, under the criteria needed to move My Party forward.

If Jim Oberweis says that “a” Ron Sandack is not qualified becasue of his SSM stance, as an elected offical, but is pushing, on his own, that we need “different viewpoints” and its a “positive” and then… decides “a” Ron Sandack is “not Republican enough”, where are we then?

Bottom line is “a” Ron Sandack meets many, many, more of the criteria needed than “the” Jim Nalepa/Joe Walsh types. Comapring “the” Jim Nalepa/Joe Walsh types to “a” Ron Sandack type in building My Party is a “no-brainer” when those type of candidates stand side-by-side.

Be wise, SCC, understand the opportunity you have to give others, Republicans, “Reagan Republicans”, “Lunchpail Republicans”, “Reagan Democarts” and “Indies”, that putting someone in the role of State Chair indicates how you feel about “winning”, about “Field Operations”, “Raising and Spending Monies” and “Message”.

“a” Ron Sandack-type looks pretty good, as did “a” Matt Murphy-type. Again, be wise.

13. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:09 am:

Ha ha ha, Joe Walsh.

14. - Shore - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:11 am:

walsh! let the conservatives flame out and then move on from them.

15. - Reo Symes, M.D. - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:17 am:

Sandack would be a smart choice; the state GOP folks have shown no signs of being smart.

16. - Jeeves the Cat - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:17 am:

I would find Joe Walsh very interesting. If the party wanted to put the spark of life into its public face he would be like picking a political Energizer Bunny.

17. - just sayin' - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:19 am:

Something everyone, including me, forgot about during this scrum is that Jim Oberweis, on multiple occasions, pledged he would give up his seat on the state central committee if he was successful in becoming state senator. He was telling people this as recently as December. Said he was going to resign from central committee as soon as sworn into the senate in January. This is an absolute fact.

This pledge goes back to a “reform” Jim pushed whereby elected officials of a certain rank and above could not also hold a central committee spot. Jim is right there is a potential conflict of interest issue.

Oberweis pledged he would lead by example no matter what anyone else did. But apparently after he was tagged as opposition leader to Brady, he wanted to forget about his pledge.

Come on Jim, keep your promise. You and Pat Brady can leave together in a wonderful kum-bey-ya moment for the party. #isthemilkmanamanofhisword

18. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:20 am:

I am a bit saddened that Jason Plummer did NOT make the IllinoisReview list. Until Jason is officially ruled out, I have my “meds” at the ready…

19. - MrJM - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:23 am:

I wonder how well Joe Walsh could raise money for his party.

– MrJM

20. - Bush Twins - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:24 am:

Why would anyone want it? It’s a huge and thankless job, and there is little chance of significant success in a dark blue state. Plus, the state GOP, much like the GOP at other levels, is a two-headed snake with each head trying to bite the other while the democrats just sit back to be entertained. If he is a social moderate, he will have the wingnut calling him a RINO. It’s inevitable. If I were him, I would pass.

21. - Wensicia - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:28 am:

Except for entertainment purposes, what does Joe Walsh bring to the party? Can the Republican brand in this state afford the further loss of credibility?

22. - Anonymous - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:32 am:

Ron Sandack would be a big step forward for my party. He delivers a clear, articulate message and has embraced social media more effectively than just about any other republican in the state. We need to move our party forward and begin to bring independents back into the republican voting mix. Ron would be a big step in the right direction.

23. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:40 am:

So much for Pat Bradys suggestion they hire a female GOP chair then.

24. - Bush Twins - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:54 am:

Anon 10:32, you are right about what the GOP needs to do. But it won’t happen. The GOP is on a collision course with itself. And while I am somewhat intrigued by it (like slowing down to look at a car wreck), I don’t think it is a good thing for our state or country.

25. - just sayin' - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:57 am:

News flash Bush Twins, the IL GOP can hardly decline more than it did under Pat Brady.

26. - 47th Ward - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:03 am:

Scratch Walsh off the list. This is a non-paying job and most likely would force him out of his radio gig, which is a paying job.

He’d be awesome, for sure, but it’s not going to happen.

27. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:05 am:

- just sayin’ -,

No snark, and asking for reference….

Is there any documentation, (Edit Boards, website, questionnaire) that Jim Oberweis indeed documented that, besides in conversation that can be seen even now?

Like I said, I am asking so I have a clear understanding, and if Jim Oberweis did say that, and there is multipule sources confirming, even today, boy that would be …interesting.

28. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:12 am:

- Darienite - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 9:31 am:

===========

I see your correction, but Ron’s shaved head makes your original statement true, too.

29. - Keep Calm and Carry On - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:16 am:

Illinois Review left at least one name off that list…

30. - LincolnLounger - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:22 am:

I LOVE how every time there is a discussion for State GOP Chair, Nalepa puts his name forward and works furiously behind the scenes.

In addition to two dismal runs for office, Nalepa has worked incredibly hard building a local GOP organization, raising money for the GOP, working with the grassroots in the SW suburbs where the GOP is thriving. Oh wait, he did absolutely none of those things — not one.

Nalepa goes to the same school as Joe Walsh when it comes to cooperation and playing well with others. I will give him credit for not — as far as I know — piling up the ethical, business, and personal baggage that Walsh has accumulated.

31. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:22 am:

Word

Three things I never thought I’d see in my lifetime:

1. The White Sox win the World Series
    2. The Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup
    3. Oberweis becomes an advocate for diversity

“Sen. Oberweis welcomes diversity of opinion in the GOP. He said so the other day in the Trib.”

32. - collar observer - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:35 am:

It is Cook County Commissioner Tim Schneider I believe.

33. - Orzo - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:36 am:

I think Brad Schneider would be surprised to find he is a Cook County Commissioner–and a Republican.

34. - reformer - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:40 am:

As a Democrat, I favor Joe Walsh.
    It is TIM Schneider, by the way.

35. - Michael Westen - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:53 am:

Sandack has zero chance of being selected. I know this will come as a shock (not Aaron) to his supporters, but the Illinois GOP is still a conservative party, like it or not.

Of that list, Nalepa would be the best choice.

36. - just sayin' - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:53 am:

Oswego Willy, I haven’t tried googling it. But it’s common knowledge. He not only told individuals one on one, he stated pledge in public forums at events when he was looking for kudos.

37. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:15 pm:

I actually like Oberweis on the SCC. If they just follow the rule to do or say the opposite of what Oberweis is saying or doing, we might be ok …

Truthfully, it’s not a big deal to me, personally, if Oberweis is both in the State Senate and on the SCC. It’s actually not a big deal even if Oberweis said he would leave the SCC and he hasn’t left. It’s a bigger deal as Oberweis is on the SCC and he continues to speak for My Party making us all look foolish, that is a big deal.

That is why we have elections, and if Oberweis’ senate district thinks him staying in is a big deal, they will tell him. I was just curious to be curious.

I have a feeling, at the last moment, I think the Edgar/Kirk/Thompson Crew might sneak in someone not on this list, or they might “back” someone who is right in front of our faces. It’s just too foggy for me to see who that may be, and maybe that is the way its suppose to be so they don’t get beat up from the “Right” until the very end(?)

There is a “strategy” I think going on, and I know I can’t see it yet, but it will be revealed, and then it will try to be played out. My hope is that a thoughtful “criteria” is going to rule the day to pick, and that a message is sent to everyone in my party that we are serious, and we plan on building and winning.

The rest is just political postering, especially at this very point of the discussion.

38. - OneMan - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:24 pm:

Joe Walsh..

39. - Quinnella - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:26 pm:

Sandack WOULD be a great party chair-just ask Madigan.

40. - Anonymous - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:33 pm:

=…and has embraced social media more effectively than just about any other republican in the state. =

I know it’s probably not a popular opinion with the younger crowd, but I don’t think this should be a qualification.

41. - Anonymous - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:37 pm:

=There is a “strategy” I think going on, and I know I can’t see it yet, but it will be revealed, and then it will try to be played out. =

Is that a strategy or a “conspiracy theory,” Willy?

42. - Anonymous - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:41 pm:

And you’re surely not applying what Percival said in his post yesterday to everything now, are you, Willy?

43. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:46 pm:

@FakeJasonPlummer - I’m on the “tweeter”, so … #ChalkUpAnotherQulification

To that,

Agreed. I think I posted that I wanted someone 21st Century Savy, not 21st Centruy “rooted”, or something like that.

- Anonymous -, see I give you props, and still you poke Bears? It’s not a conspriacy theory, its politcal strategy to insulate a “compromise candidate” to the slingshots and arrows of the “Right” too early in the process.

Get a grip!

44. - BucktownDem - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:53 pm:

The ILGOP deserves such successful leaders like loudmouth ex-Rep. Joe Walsh and forgotten Young Republican and former “candidate” Angle Garcia. Both will be so repulsive to specific communities the GOP desperately needs to reach out to that the Dems couldn’t ask for more of a gift. Get your popcorn, this is gonna be fun to watch.

45. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:53 pm:

- Percival -

===Also, never judge the outcome of an ILGOP matter early on. The substantial pressure of the Money and Establishment will come to bear at the close, not the opening.===

My Direct Response, TO - Percival -,

===The other part is spot-on, and the Money and Establishment can be very helpful, as I a guessing they were helpful in NOT allowing torches, and pitchforks and “politcal” ice cream oust Brady. Good Point.===

Geez.

Stop. Poking. Bears.

Thanks.

46. - Anonymous - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:57 pm:

=It’s not a conspriacy theory, its politcal strategy to insulate a “compromise candidate” to the slingshots and arrows of the “Right” too early in the process. =

Sorry, but the way you described it, it sounded a bit like one. Also, it sounds as if you don’t have much faith in the Committee to figure this out on their own with input from a variety of sources.

47. - Anonymous - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 12:58 pm:

=Stop. Poking. Bears. =

You first, Willy. ;)

48. - Just Me - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 1:28 pm:

The Illinois GOP needs a conservative to run it, because the Illinois GOP has proven that if they get more conservative they will win more races.

Yes, they’ve proven that theory hundreds of times over the course of the past ten years. Topinka, Kirk, Rutherford….all strictly conservative.

49. - Irishpirate - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 1:37 pm:

Is Roland Burris available?

50. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 1:40 pm:

===Is Roland Burris available?===

“Dear - Irishpirate -,

My walls are full, I have no more room, for any more jobs.

Signed,

Roland Burris’ Monument”

51. - Spliff - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 2:05 pm:

Didn’t Don tracy run as a democrat against Larry Bomke?

52. - Keep Calm and Carry On - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 2:11 pm:

just sayin’ you have an excellent memory. It appears you are correct.

53. - Richmond - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 2:18 pm:

what about the ILGOP board of directors making Detmers chair until the GOP Gov nominee can select full chair? The nominee might be the only person with enough party pull too keep the moderates and the Jim&Jerry’s ice cream crowd on same page until then. She seems to be only sane person in the bunch, not like the party could get worse. Even if she only raises $100, it’s prob more than they are raising now.

54. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 2:20 pm:

===Nalepa goes to the same school as Joe Walsh when it comes to cooperation and playing well with others.===

“a” Jim Nalepa-type is EXACTLY like “a” Joe Walsh-type, except the “Jim Nalepas” lose multiple races, and are only relevent in their own mind and whoever they get to talk to them at politcal events. The “Joe Walshes” have a win, but when it boils down to getting Republcians to rally around the “Joe Walshes”, we in the ILGOP will be Litmus Testing everyone out of the Party, because the “Joe Walshes” got a District to elect them, then found about about them, and voted them out.

The “Jim Nalepas” and “Joe Walshes” are not the type of candidates that meet any criteria that is going to be needed to make My Party viable to the “indies”, and help My Party grow in the Precincts.

I like those candidates in the diuscussion. like I said, sometimes seeing who is NOT qualified, helps in determining who IS qualified.

55. - Bush Twins - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 3:06 pm:

Just Sayin’ — How did the GOP do under Brady’s predecessor? That is right- lousy. The GOP’ s problem isn’t its leader; the problem is the GOP. If you think someone can unify it, good luck.

56. - Casper - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 3:53 pm:

One more thing, just found this article.

“I believe that a very sound process is underway,” Oberweis said. And, looking forward: “We want to find a candidate who does appeal to both the conservatives and the liberals within the party and who will be a uniter who will bring those people together rather than a divider who would cause conflict.”

Another reason for Sandack.

57. - Get 'Er Dunne - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 4:59 pm:

I don’t know where Sandak is now that he has been nominated, but earlier this week he told me he would not want the job…

58. - Jimmy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 5:02 pm:

Joe Walsh as Party Chairman is almost as good as Alan Keyes for Senate…maybe Christmas will come early for Democrats in Illinois (once again).

59. - wordslinger - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 10:08 pm:

–The contacting process will continue until Sunday night, and then plans for interviews with the candidates will begin.–

Are these guys for real? There was no game plan to button this up after that closed door meeting with Brady last week?

More contacts, then “plans” for interviews?

Just keep dragggggiiiiinnnnnggggg this story out.

And keep in mind, the words “schism,” “division,” “same-sex marriage” and “Oberweis” will be in the second or third paragraph of every story from now until selection.

60. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, May 9, 13 @ 11:28 pm:

===The contacting process will continue until Sunday night, and then plans for interviews with the candidates will begin.===

There is something a bit troubling about an organization that is knowing a change in leadership IS going to happen, and this organization seems hapless as to how to fill it, and is clueless when to begin and end it.

It one thing to have an open process, which is fine, but to not even have the clearest of timetables, when you KNEW there was going to be an opening… Not the best of signs at this point for this organization.

Make a good choice, be wise, and maybe all this yapping will just be that. Yapping. Make a bad choice with all this hesitation, and stammering, and searching … going to make even worse in the long run.

Be wise, be bold, be strong… be smart, and be quite quick, or at least give the appearance of swiftness.

61. - Oswego Joe - Friday, May 10, 13 @ 8:55 am:

‘just sayin’

I asked Oberweis during the campaign if he was giving up his seat on SCC and he said he had no plans to.

* Report: HQ2 incentive package could top $2.25 billion
* More support for overriding Rauner veto of debt transparency bill
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Yet another problem at DCFS
* Will Illinois really break the spending record?
* Ives gears up, Walsh waits in wings
* *** UPDATED x1 *** "I’ve had hands up my skirt. I’ve had my hair pulled - There’s just kind of nothing you can really do"
* Rauner's federal pension idea allows "some level of bankruptcy"
* Dems pounce on new Rauner ad
* Poll: Pritzker leads Kennedy and Biss 39-15-6
* Rate the Rauner campaign kickoff video

* Gov. Rauner announces re-election bid - WLS-TV..
* Lawmakers Push For Transparency In State Debt -.....
* Signing of Abortion Bill Impacting Support for .....
* It's official: Gov. Rauner says he will seek a .....
* Rauner makes re-election bid official with vide.....
* Rauner makes re-election bid official with vide.....
* Rauner makes re-election bid official with vide.....
* Illinois governor makes re-election bid officia.....
* Illinois governor makes re-election bid officia.....
* Illinois governor makes re-election bid officia.....

* Future of king salmon uncertain in Great Lakes
* Smithsonian museum to exhibit post from pipeline protest
* Chicago man dies when truck intentionally struck his vehicle
* Illinois governor makes re-election bid official with video
* Man faces gun charges after Chicago restaurant brawl
* Meijer recalls some packaged produce due to listeria risk
* Meijer recalls some packaged produce due to listeria risk
* Dem attorneys general unite against concealed-carry gun law
* 4 Wheaton College players to be arraigned in battery case
* 4 Wheaton College players to be arraigned in battery case

* Gov. Rauner makes re-election bid official with video
* Governor's race could be costliest in U.S. history
* Voter advocates push Illinois to exit multistate database
* Lawmakers set to return Tuesday for veto session
* Illinois Lottery's new manager projects $4B in sales
* UIS students could study at newly proposed Chicago research center
* Aaron Schock attorneys contest federal claims on misstatements
* Under the Dome Podcast: Will lawmakers address gun control during the veto session?
* Chicago lawyer announces bid for Illinois attorney general
* Illinois borrows $1.5B at reduced interest to pay down debt

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* Northwest Indiana: 'Right-to-work zone'
* Is Dem primary over? No, but Pritzker rivals need to pick up pace
* The biggest Chicago-area building sales
* Here are the sites Chicago is pitching to Amazon

* A Tesori musical, tales of war, and more in Griffin’s 30th season
* Police: Man pressed revolver to officer’s chest, tried to disarm him
* LETTERS: Slain teacher was doing what we all should be able to do
* 14-year-old missing girl last seen leaving Far South Side high school
* Chicago’s Amazon bid includes $2.25 billion incentive package
* Foo Fighters to perform at Wrigley Field next summer
* Amazon says it received 238 proposals for 2nd headquarters
* Halas Intrigue: How good can the Bears be? Breaking down their victory
* Justin Timberlake to perform at Super Bowl LII
* Foo Fighters will return to Wrigley Field next July

* Catalans said to plan human shield to block Madrid takeover
* Suspect in Grayslake-area shooting death held on $5 million bail
* Senate presses ahead on $36.5B Puerto Rico disaster relief package
* Megyn Kelly blasts O'Reilly, Fox in extraordinary statement about harassment
* At least 67 bodies found after Islamic State 'massacre' in Syria town
* The Green Bay Packers played without Aaron Rodgers, and it went about how you'd expect
* BrightFarms recalls greens from Mariano's out of E. coli concerns
* Suspect in custody in fatal shooting near Grayslake
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 10/23/17
* Investing: Investing in your peak savings years

» Lawmakers Push For Transparency In State Debt
» Rauner Makes Re-election Bid Official With Video
» Where Can Homeless People Pitch Tents In Chicago?
» Voter Advocates Push Illinois To Exit Multistate Database
» Lawmaker Says Facebook Refuses To Fact Check Ads
» State Week: Chasing Amazon, Bonding Debt
» Teaching Kids To ‘Say Something’ In An Era of School Shootings
» Illinois Issues: Cities Lose Out On Retail Tax As Online Shopping Booms
» What Could Hurt Chicago’s Bid For Amazon’s HQ2?
» At CPS, More Special Education Dollars Go To White, Wealthier Students

* Gov. Rauner makes re-election bid official with video
* George Will: The fatal conceit of planning for the future
* Our View: Overriding this veto is a no-brainer
* Governor's race could be costliest in U.S. history
* Statehouse Insider: Will veto session show GOP revolt?
* Our View: Figure out how to make Innovation Network a reality
* Angie Muhs: Recognizing what resonates with readers
* Guest View: It's time for more oversight at CWLP
* Young Philanthropists: Banding together to make a difference
* Voter advocates push Illinois to exit multistate database

* Illinois governor makes re-election bid official with video
* Best of the week: Janet Jackson, 'World of Dance' and Halloween parades on tap
* After years of searching, adoption mystery solved
* Ten reports of abuse weren’t enough to save ‘Princess’ Emily
* Lady Bulldogs finish fourth, qualify for sectionals
* Listeria is rare but dangerous
* Metro-east man’s death remains a mystery – months after police found him in pond
* History Corner: Decatur-area photos of the past
* 10 @ 10: Jewell's return, former Hawks in NFL, and cold start for Minnesota
* Bulldogs chew up Trojans to cap perfect regular season

* 4 Wheaton College players plead not guilty in hazing case
* Camping World expands again in Florida
* Waukegan man charged in fatal shooting near Grayslake
* Smithsonian museum to exhibit post from pipeline protest
* AC Milan's Bonucci issued 2-match ban for elbowing

* Hultgren aims to help employers close the ...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* Bipartisan group of lawmakers pushes job t...
* Hundreds of high school students tour Smit...
* Measure extends term of FSOC independent m...
* Rival: Kinzinger not conservative - MyWebT...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...
* Will Trump continue to unravel Obama's leg...
* Democratic 14th Congressional District can...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...

* Dreaming about better legislation - The Tr......

* Infrastructure a priority in meeting with ......

* Trump Cuts Clean Power Plan, Boosts America’s Prospects
* How a Teachers Union is Protecting a Violent Antifa Radical
* How Media Sexism Demeans Women And Fuels Abuse By Men Like Weinstein
* Most Fortune 500 Companies Used Tax Havens In 2016
* Chicago History Museum Card Catalog Going Digital
* Chicagoetry: The War Of The Rainbows
* Police close Kenneka Jenkins investigation but for some photos of her body ‘raise more questions than answers,’ and other Chicago news
* “States’ rights” was always a euphemism for racism. Rauner’s call for Washington to overturn Illinois’ constitution demonstrates that fact.
* Tony at the Red Line Tap.
* What's Going On At JJ Pepper? Your Guess Is As Good As Ours

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Huawei already shipped 100 million smartphones in 2017, ‘working’ foldable ‘sample’ confirmed
* Best Buy shaves $250 off Galaxy Note 8, S8 and S8+ with Verizon monthly installments, $200 for AT&T subscribers
* Google Launches New Android-Based Mobile App Payment Solution 'Pay With Google'
* Huawei Watch 2 Pro makes domestic debut with eSIM at $390 equivalent
* Samung Galaxy S7 gets nod over Apple iPhone 8 according to Consumer Reports
* Animal Crossing Smartphone App Will Be the Focus of New Nintendo Direct Coming This Week
* This is most likely the low-cost Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 with a large 2:1 Full HD+ screen

* Podcast: 2017 White Sox Pitchers and Catchers season review
* Steep climbs ahead for oft-injured White Sox
* #AwardWorthy: Vote for Engel's glove
* Sporcle Saturday: Long bombs
* Petricka undergoes surgery on right elbow
* Avisail sees similarities in rebuild, stellar year
* White Sox Arizona Fall League overview