Capitol - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013

* As long ago as July (maybe earlier), rumors were circulating that Gov. Quinn was looking at Chicago Treasurer Stephanie Neely as a potential running mate. Then in August, word was that Quinn may have started looking elsewhere. Is he back to Neely? Maybe. Tribune

City Treasurer Stephanie Neely today acknowledged she’s talked to Gov. Pat Quinn about being his running mate next year but said she has not made a decision.

“I have spoken to Gov. Quinn” about the lieutenant governor opening, Neely said after first discounting such talk as “rumors.”

“I think public service is just honorable. I love the city of Chicago. I love the state of Illinois. So any way I can serve. I’m trying to be the best treasurer I can be, and if I ran for higher office, I’d try to be the best whatever I can be,” she said.

Neely, a former banker who lives in the North Kenwood neighborhood, has long been mentioned as a possible Quinn running mate. The Democratic governor is looking for a new teammate because current Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon opted to run for state comptroller.

Though Quinn faces no formidable challenge for renomination in the Democratic primary, selecting Neely, an African-American woman, could help the governor secure his connections with black voters in the general election. African-American voters in the Chicago area are key for Democrats to win statewide office and a female running mate also could help the ticket on social issues against a socially conservative Republican opponent.

* The Question: Would Stephanie Neely be a good running mate for Gov. Pat Quinn? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

…Adding… Oops. Tyop. (Sigh.) Typo. “Np” = “No.” Sorry about that.

1. - OneMan - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 12:58 pm:

Virtually anyone who does not have male pattern baldness or has not have had issues with roids in the past would be an OK running mate at this point.

2. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:00 pm:

Sheila Simon”

3. - Ghost - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:01 pm:

I voted Np, No Problem.

4. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:06 pm:

Np = Nope?

I voted yes. She’s a fresh face and I think enhances the governor’s appeal among African-American voters. Is the ticket too Chicago? Probably. But I don’t think that’s a huge negative this year.

5. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:10 pm:

Elected City-Wide in Chicago, then re-elected.

She maintains a $7 billion portfolio and tracks the balances on all City accounts…that ain’t being a newly-elected trustee of a town with 61 precincts, and not run for re-election … and that aint being a former Mayor of a town of 8 precincts and handling monies even close to $7 Billion… that also ain’t being a put-up candidate for Lisa Madigan as your resume calling card.

She serves as trustee on the City’s five public pension boards….that ain’t being on the conference committee to figure out Pension Reform with Squeezy slithering around the feet of the members, but on the board of 5 pension review panels …hmmmm.

Very lastly ….African-American, female, business professional who carried over business expertise to political success and governmental experience …

Yep, qualifies…Can Quinn pull it off?

I have no idea.

6. - phocion - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:12 pm:

Do a quick google news search on Neely. She comes across as insufferably pompous with an entitled attitude. Yes, she’s got a demographic that appeals. But Quinn is going to walk away with the AA vote anyway. Her personality will put off “on the fence” voters.

7. - Mongo - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:15 pm:

In general, and with regard to demographics, I voted yes. But I gotta admit I have never heard of Ms. Neely. What’s with the trend towards newbies as LG?

8. - Siriusly - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:16 pm:

I don’t think she helps him with Chicago voters at all, because she’s mostly unknown. I do think having the City of Chicago Treasurer on your ticket does actually hurt you with some suburban voters.

I voted not - not sure what she does to help him politically. But I also said the same thing about Sheila and he won with her. So don’t listen to me Pat - go with your gut.

9. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:17 pm:

I would think he’d want someone from downstate. That’s my only reason for voting np.

10. - Brendan - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:20 pm:

Neely running on a Quinn ticket works well for both of them.

Quinn gets a gender/race balanced ticket that will help motivate his base in the African-American community.

And Neely, who does not have to run for re-election this year, gets the opportunity to boosting her name recognition & fundraising network for future statewide runs if Quinn loses and/or a quasi-promotion if Quinn wins in November.

11. - hisgirlfriday - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:21 pm:

I don’t know anything about this woman individually but on paper this seems smart.

With Frerichs and Simon the slate already has two Downstaters, so I don’t see her Chicagoness as an issue.

Between this and the recent PR hire, it feels like Quinn really wants to ensure AA support in the fall, to combat the James Meeks minister faction that will try to punish him for supporting(signing?) ssm and push Rauner forward.

12. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:31 pm:

ILDems should like the move…

You completed slate could look like this, and with no Primary Opposition;

Richard Durbin - 2nd most powerful US Senator, might draw Oberweis to hammer and help all ILDems

Pat Quinn - Incumbent Governor, populists

Stephanie Neely - African-American twice elected City-Wide, encourages AA participation in top race, no straglers, even marginalizes Rauner with Sen. Meeks if need be.

Lisa Madigan - Female, elected numerous times statewide, versus unknown.

Jesse White - Unopposed.

Mike Frerichs - downstate legislator, with war chest waiting for diminished funds for Tom Cross.

Sheila Simon - female, downstate sitting Lt. Governor, carried family name against arguably the most popular Republican in Illinois. Might be outside looking in at the end against the Incumbent Comptroller, but after ditching Pat Quinn, and trying to manuver through Lisa and her own decision, it is what it is.

3 Downstaters
    3 Women
    4 statewide incumbents
    2 African-Americans

No …Primaries.

Stephanie Neely fits in pretty good on “the ball club”.

Scares me this lineup…but that is why we have elections.

13. - Alonso - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:32 pm:

A Lt. Gov. nobody knows would be a perfect choice for a Gov. nobody likes.

14. - Montrose - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:34 pm:

In the spirit of “do no harm,” I think she is a fine choice. No one is voting for Quinn because of his LG choice. I don’t think he won votes because Shelia was on the ticket. Her profile is strong and as long as she stays on message, I think she is good.

15. - Sunshine - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:39 pm:

Question to me is: Why in the world would she want the do nothing job as Lt. Governor….unless it a stepping platform to Governor?

16. - otoh - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:44 pm:

==insufferably pompous with an entitled attitude==

Could be true as the light of day, but she’ll be on a short script, and no one will ever get to know her.

17. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:48 pm:

NP = Nope.

She completely negates a large line of attacks by Quinn against the Republicans.

It’s kind of difficult to attack your opponent for coming across as an elitist, or labeling them as a “bankster”, part of the 1%, etc. when that is who you recruit and clear the decks for as your running mate.

Plus, she was appointed to her first position by Daley without ever holding prior office. Not the best optics right now in Illinois.

Quinn has spent his entire career portraying himself as a defender of the “little guy” against greedy businessmen, bankers, etc. He’d be lost without being able to rely on that narrative during the biggest election of his life.

Personally, I like Neely a lot. But not for Quinn’s purposes in this role.

18. - James - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:58 pm:

Voted no. PQ would be better served by a natural campaigner, as opposed to a quiet banker. Neely’s electoral wins were both uncontested. She was handpicked by Daley to maintain his rainbow ticket, replacing Judy Rice, an AA female who resigned to become…a banker.

19. - anon - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:25 pm:

Hard to imagine a better choice for Lt. Guv than Kwame Raoul

20. - Just Observing - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:30 pm:

=== Elected City-Wide in Chicago, then re-elected. ===

If memory serves, she was appointed, and then elected. But I could be wrong.

21. - Just Observing - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:30 pm:

I only met her once and found her to be a bit arrogant… but I do not know if that is a fair assessment of her or not.

22. - Norseman - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:34 pm:

I liked NP. Because I’m not familiar with her, I have no position. [No, I didn’t vote]

23. - A guy... - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:48 pm:

He only needs to look within the 4 Counties he’ll win to pick someone. In that case, pick the biggest one; Cook. She’s a perfect choice for him. It shows he’s not taking the AA vote for granted. Oh, by the way, she’s smart. Doesn’t matter if “it plays in Peoria”. It will play in Chicago, Cook County and suburban St. Louis. There’s proof out there that’s all you need.

24. - walkinfool - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:51 pm:

Voted yes, but a lot depends on just how her banking background is portrayed. It would make a difference for my vote.

Fair or not, it was going to hurt Bill Daley if he ran.

25. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 2:53 pm:

- Just Observing -

Appointed 2006, Ran in February 2007 Election, won, …ran for re-election in 2011 … won.

Appointed, elected, and re-elected.

26. - Whalewatcher - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 3:06 pm:

…hey what about Iris Martinez? She is waiting to be asked…

27. - RNUG - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 3:09 pm:

A guy… @ 2:48 pm:

But is Quinn guarenteed enough votes in suburban St. Louis without Sheila?

28. - Alonso - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 3:13 pm:

It is interesting reading how people who are not from Chicago seem to think that Neely has some voter base.

She’s doesn’t.
    She literally has never had a contested election.

Most people could not tell you the name of the Treasurer. If they heard her name, they could not identify her as Treasurer.

She has no political organization of her own.

She’s just a name on a ballot that people check off because she’s the only one.

29. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 3:23 pm:

- Alonso -,

I never said she had a base, I made the point that the election process, Stephanie Neely has done it twice.

In the city of Chicago, she is the highest ranking African-American in city government. that is a fact, due to the position of the Office itself, and her race. I know I never said she was a jugernaut, I Posted she ran and won twice, albeit uncontested, but, guess what, contested, uncontested, you win, you get sworn-in just the same.

Neely, if asked and accepts to run for LG, will magically become visable in the AA community, and all over the state. The “Jason Plummer - hide the LG” games lead to losing.

Pat Quinn needs AA engaged in the race in November, and Stephanie Neely, with a year to be out there for Pat Quinn, while being and touting the Office of City Treasurer and her experience in that office, the mere idea of BEING the citywide elected treasurer gives Neely cache.

Neely is on 5 pension boards, the office handles $7 Billion in city funds.

Can’t pretend that doesn’t happen.

30. - Belle - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 3:38 pm:

Yes. She’s fine but not great. Obviously an African American or Latino professional woman from downstate would be preferred. He only has to win, not hit it out of the park.

31. - Chicago Cynic - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 4:15 pm:

I voted no. Superficially she’ll be fine, but she has a horrific reputation as an entitled prima dona. If there is any concern about what happens after the election, he’ll make another pick unless he wants to replicate the relationship he had with Rod.

32. - mcb - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 4:15 pm:

No. Because she only shores up votes he already has. Not sure who would bring more downstate votes, i.e. Springfield, Peoria, CU. What about Jakobsson?

33. - Amalia - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 4:41 pm:

in my experience, she is smart, interested in serving the public well, and happy to be in elected office so that might come off as arrogant to some who consider chutzpah by a woman to be a problem. not for me. she shores up his base in a couple of ways.

34. - Rollo Tomasi - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 4:47 pm:

YES! Because it would get her out of Chicago. But she has to answer several question then:

While on WBBM’s At Issue program she brags about steering City Pension Funds (Fire, Police , Municipal Workers) to woman and minority brokerage houses not the firms that have the best investment return ranking.

Why are her and Daley’s pension fund highly funded and uses different investment firms from the other funds.

Why while running unopposed in the last election did she take campaign money from the same investment houses she directs city pension monies to?

Why does she have a police body guards who drive her to the Gym, work, grocery store, home, and pick up her dry cleaning?

35. - Excessively Rabid - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 5:01 pm:

Yes, if she changes her name from Neely to Squeezy.

36. - Sox fan - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 5:43 pm:

I second Naomi Jakobssen. If the question is smart, experienced, downstate woman, then she’s the only answer.

37. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 5:48 pm:

@Rollo Tomasi

I was unaware of those issues.

Yeah, those might present a few problems. More than a few.

38. - Six Degrees of Separation - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 7:04 pm:

I could be talked out of being a slight plus if I heard more stories like Rollo’s, and she became a Scott Lee Cohen-like distraction.

39. - Just The Way It Is One - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 7:23 pm:

She’d be alright, probably’d be somewhat of a “safe” choice so long as she’s been THOROUGHly vetted, and, of course would help with the African-American and women’s vote.

Yet, particularly looking ahead to the General Election and the need for broader appeal beyond COOK County, my gut still tells me that I still think he could do MUCH better…!

40. - My 2 cents. - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 7:39 pm:

I voted no. I think that PQ has the AA vote secured by virtue of the AA community always voting overwhelmingly democratic. The Latino community has shown that they need to be courted and a Latina like Sen Martinez could be that person to shore up the Latino support for the democrats.

41. - JAFTC - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 8:53 pm:

===- Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 13 @ 1:00 pm:

Sheila Simon”===

Best. Comment. Ever.

42. - Citizen Carl - Wednesday, Oct 30, 13 @ 12:50 pm:

Quinn’s problem is not with progressives or minority voters. He needs to improve his standing with suburban collar county voters. If it wasn’t for Scott lee Cohen he would have lost last election as he was destroyed in the burbs. Local Democrats have dominated Will county for the past few elections holding nearly every county wide office so they must be doing something right. He could pick county exec. Larry Walsh sr, court clerk Pam McGuire or young upstart auditor Duffy Blackburn. Besides the suburban appealing will county had a lot of farm land so there is a downstate appeal too. Seems like the slam dunk choice to me.

* Reader comments closed until April 2
* Quick hits before vacation
* Heads up!
* First-day whiplash in mayor's race
* Pritzker hit on taxes
* Even Trib tires of "Because... Madigan!"
* What goes around eventually comes around
* Londrigan turns to face Davis
* *** UPDATED x1 - DGA follows suit *** Pritzker uses Ives in new video
* Illinois House Bill HB 4900 is Unconstitutional
* Rauner on the hustings
* Quote of the week
* The natives are getting restless

* Democrat Sexual Harrassment Suit Continues - Al.....
* Illinois governor compares foes' tactics to 'ma.....
* "2018 DUI Illinois Fact Book" by Jesse White Ma.....
* Former campaign worker suing Illinois Democrati.....
* Former campaign worker suing Illinois Democrati.....

* EXCHANGE: Group brings students around to life at Millikin
* EXCHANGE: Illinois author creates fantasy world for children
* Former UI aviation institute now a Parkland College program
* Report: Illinois high school referee shortage getting worse
* Storm forecast to bring up to 9 inches of snow to Illinois
* Man dies, officers wounded in shootout in suburban Chicago
* Report: Number of referees in Illinois continues to drop
* Workers find, return wallet 20 years after nurse lost it
* Chicago-area woman charged with murder in mother's death
* Police looking for 3 vehicles after wrestler killed in crash

* $18 million gift to benefit LLCC agriculture program
* Illinois Supreme Court won't take up Rauner's appeal of step pay case
* Former campaign worker sues Madigan fund in sexual harassment case
* Rauner says he has yet to speak to Ives after primary win
* LLCC gets $18 million donation to benefit agriculture program
* Fact check: Rauner cites own remarks as proof of outside support for Election Night claim
* Under the Dome Podcast: It's Pritzker vs. Rauner
* Marijuana referendum could strengthen movement to legalize in Illinois, but naysayers say ballot question unfair
* Illinois Democrats giddy about odds of retaking governor's office
* New exhibit at Lincoln museum honors four U.S. presidents with ties to Illinois

* Corrections
* In withdrawal: The babies of Illinois' opioid epidemic
* Cook County wants to give back $94 million in excess property taxes
* Higher Chicago heating bills fuel bonus bump for Milwaukee utility execs
* Higher Chicago heating bills fuel bonus bump for Milwaukee execs

* Correctional officer charged in scheme to smuggle contraband into MCC
* AL Central outlook: Indians have unfinished business
* Girl, 17, charged after making threat against Elmhurst high school on Snapchat
* NL Central outlook: Foe-cus is on Brewers, Cardinals
* Man, 78, reported missing from Near North Side
* Dear Abby: My lazy bridesmaid needs to step down
* Boy critically hurt by sticking head out of moving Red Line train, hitting pole
* Happy 90th birthday, James Lovell, Chicago’s space pioneer
* Next thing you know, cemeteries will be voting in DuPage
* Lombard woman charged with murder in mother’s strangulation

* Stop feeling sorry for the Austin bomber
* Artifacts from 1893 World’s Fair found beneath Obama center site, but report signals construction can proceed
* More people are seeking out mental health care, but psychiatrists are in short supply: 'It's getting worse'
* Facebook was never free: What Mark Zuckerberg's shocking admissions reveal
* Boy critically injured after sticking head out of moving Red Line train
* Stephen Curry returns, then injures left knee as Warriors win
* Chris Beard, Texas Tech oust Purdue 78-65, will now face No. 1 seed Villanova
* Duke bounces Syracuse to set up Kansas showdown for Final Four
* Former Bears TE Martellus Bennett retires after 10 seasons
* Trump issues order supporting ban on many transgender troops, defers to Pentagon on new restrictions

» March 23, 2018: Gentlemen, Start Your Engines
» Final School Funding Bill Signed Into Law
» State Week: Lessons Of The 2018 Primary
» Mural Highlights Acclaimed Artist Keith Haring's Effect On Aspiring Artists
» Future of Artificial Intelligence; Mindfulness In Schools; Teaching The Trail Of Tears
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: March 23, 2018

* Cheryl Lynn Smillie
* William 'Bill' H. White
* James Raymond Graves
* Raymond 'Scott' Miller
* LuElla Louise Lehr
* Bonnie June Brouillette
* Synthetic pot may be causing severe bleeding, health officials say
* Agreement reached in lawsuit filed by Saline County Clerk

* Willow Creek's Hybels: 'I respect women. I have never been unfaithful'
* Koreas to hold high-level talks next week to set up summit
* French hero officer who swapped himself for hostage dies
* Aurora police say man killed in shootout was out on bail
* Curry returns, then injures left knee as Warriors beat Hawks

* Primary candidates vie for Democratic nomi...
* River Town Chronicles: Randy Hultgren is T...
* Republican congressman fires 56-year-old a...
* Congressional aide fired after teen says t...
* Underwood coasts in Democratic primary for...
* 'I used bad judgment': 14th Congressional ...
* 14th Democratic hopefuls talk guns at Bata...
* After primary win, Naperville nurse Underw...
* ELECTIONS 14th Congressional Dist. candida...
* 'Cannabis candidate' accused of abusing wo...

* Trump: I'll never sign a bill like this again...
* The real reasons Congress can't act on gun......
* Border wall, DACA could stall federal fund......
* Federal funding measure approved to avoid ......
* Portman, Durbin introduce resolution marki......

* Deportation imminent for Miguel Perez Jr.,......
* Former Obama Spokesman Denounces Deportati......
* Congressional Democrats plan to join 'Marc......
* Dem senator introduces bill to publicize T......
* Deportation proceedings begin for Afghan W......

* What’s Loyola legacy for ’18 basketball team in Chicago sports history?
* Progressive?
* Hitting Left with the Klonsky Brothers. Episode 59. Summing up the Illinois primary elections.
* Universities Deploy Chatbots to Aid Students in the Admissions Process and Beyond
* 10 Resources for finding edtech jobs
* Global Boom in Private Enrollments
* Professor on online activities: They get ‘students talking more and me talking less’
* Race and Gender Bias in Online Courses
* Education needs innovation to keep it fresh. Can social learning environments provide the boost?
* Let’s make Pritzker and Rauner pay more—a lot more—in state income taxes

* February Flooding Information
* IEMA Urges People to Prepare for Severe Weather
* Governor issues state disaster proclamation for flooding in Iroquois, Kankakee, Vermilion Counties
* Winter Storm Warnings for Areas Along and North of I-80
* IEMA Encourages People to Prepare for Earthquakes

* Google Home arrives in Italy, Ireland gets Google Wifi
* Shareholders vote current Qualcomm board back in, but with skepticism
* Folding iPhone progress, Galaxy S9 responsiveness issues & more – Pocketnow Daily
* KGI: Next week’s iPad refresh will work with Apple Pencil
* HTC U12+ will be the company’s only flagship of 2018
* Formula 1: How sensor technology is changing the race
* Gun deaths could become easier to study thanks to the new spending bill

* Renteria to use 'abundance of caution' for Abreu