Question of the day

Monday, Mar 3, 2014

* Illinois Issues

The Illinois State Police announced [Friday] that 5,000 concealed carry licenses have been approved. They have begun printing and mailing licenses as of today. The state police say residents could begin receiving licenses as soon as Monday.

Applicants are required to pass background checks and complete a 16-hour safety course, including a live-fire exercise. Licenses cost $150 and are good for five years. After five years, licensees must reapply and take a three-hour training course. So far, the state police have received more than 50,000 applications since they began taking them in early January. Supporters of the law say they are happy to see that the police are issuing licenses even earlier than expected. “The state police have done a fantastic job. … We thought we’d be three months before we’d get a permit out. So they’re going to get these permits out a little early,” said Benton Democratic Sen. Gary Forby, who was a sponsor of the concealed carry legislation.

Law enforcement officials can object to applications, and so far the state police have objected to about 800. So far, none of those objections have been appealed. The state police plan to deny about 300 applications after they go through one final review process to ensure that the applicants are indeed ineligible.

* The Question: Are you or is anyone you know planning to apply for a concealed carry license? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

web surveys

1. - Belle - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:18 pm:

It seems seems evenly split at the moment.
    No one in our household is interested in guns so we’re not applying for a permit. I’d rather the world operate without guns. Obviously, people who have been trained and have permits are better than people who have no idea what they are doing with weapons.

2. - A guy... - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:21 pm:

I’m a gun rights guy, but not a gun enthusiast myself. I do occasionally clear the sidewalk of snow and bring baked goods over to my more enthusiastic gun owner neighbors. I’ll speed dial them before 911. A big dog is also part of my family. I should have named him ‘Rich Miller’. He looks ferocious, but he’s as friendly as Oscar. He’s fair though and spreads his territory respectfully.

3. - circularfiringsquad - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:26 pm:

last nite at dinner 2 people we are related to discussed best places to go to get CCL training, etc.
    Can’t wait

4. - RonOglesby - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:27 pm:

Waiting for mine now. have had permits from several other states for years now. Illinois has finally caught up.

5. - countyline - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:30 pm:

Out of 6 people in my office, 2 are currently enrolled in training, and I’m waiting until after the rush, as are 2 others in my office. The other won’t bother, not because he’s against it, but because he has too many irons in the fire to take the time for training.

6. - lake county democrat - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:31 pm:

IIRC, a friend of mine is taking a class at college of lake county (that seems strange - maybe it’s nearby or they’re just hosting it) in order to qualify for the license.

7. - G'Kar - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:38 pm:

Just because I am currently not aware of any of my friends and colleagues applying for a license, doesn’t mean that some of them have and just not mentioned it.

8. - Bunson8r - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

Only gun I own is a paintball gun.

9. - olddog - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

Answered no. I live in town, and I don’t raise livestock. I don’t need a gun.

10. - Mason born - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:50 pm:

I have applied. 4 more in my immediate family and inlaws. About 4 coworkers who have mentioned it. Of those I am the only one with an app in.

11. - 47th Ward - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:51 pm:

A very good friend who owns a small restaurant, and thus handles a lot of cash at night, is trained and waiting for his permit.

As much as I pushed back against a lot of the pro-gun arguments, this friend of mine is exactly the kind of person CC was made for. He is responsible, trained, and vulnerable to being robbed, moreso than others. Now he can protect himself.

Here’s hoping he’ll never need to.

12. - Gramps - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

My wife and I live way out in the country and have quite a bit of land. There’s been a few thefts in the area and I just want to make sure all “I”s are dotted and “t”s are crossed. Not that we are expecting any issues.

13. - Johnny Boy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:55 pm:

Waiting on mine - long time overdue in this neo socialist nanny state.

14. - Toure's Latte - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:57 pm:

I support 2A but have no plans to get a FOID or CC, and guns in our home with kids is a non-starter for both myself and my wife.

15. - RonOglesby - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:57 pm:

@ 4th
    “He is responsible, trained, and vulnerable to being robbed, moreso than others.”

I feel that same way, though I dont think he (or I) should have to prove that we are more likely than anyone to be robbed or attacked. believe me, my daughter means more to me than any bag of money I might have.

But you are right about part of that. Trained and responsible gun owners are not the problem.

16. - Norseman - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

No. Don’t travel enough to need one myself.

17. - Louis Howe - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:01 pm:

I am into self-preservation and not exposing myself to needless risky behavior. I am not interested in owning a gun, and don’t at all feel threatened either in my home or public places.

So why would any rational person want to carry a gun in public?

Gun death statistics are far too weighted toward either suicide or violence among family members and friends. I know of three personal friends, all very rational, very educated, who in moment of despair killed themselves with guns. Illinois joining the ranks of states allowing citizens to pack heat in public places—It’s ridiculous.

I am reminded of the Mae West classic line… “is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happily to see me?” For me, I’d rather a woman think that I was just happy to see her.

18. - Been There - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

I voted no. I didn’t have much luck playing around with BB guns when I was kid. Some of those misplaced shots back then would be fatal with a real gun.

19. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

I’m not. I simply don’t feel the need to carry a gun in public.

Given the number of cell phones and sunglasses I’ve lost over the years, that’s probably just as well for everyone.

But I have friends who have applied. More would if they could shake loose the cash for training.

20. - Hoping for Rational Thought - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:12 pm:

I haven’t taken class yet but will and then apply. I don’t know if I will actually carry much but I do like to have the option. I own guns and keep them locked safely and practice safe handling. I enjoy shooting and hunting. I hope to never be in the situation where I would need to protect myself.

21. - Anonymous - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:14 pm:

At a last a law that grants rights rather than takes them. can local law enforcement also ask for rights to be restored once denied or state troopers overrule?

22. - Plutocrat03 - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:17 pm:

Scheduled for course in April.

Don’t actually plan of carrying, but want that option if the need arises.

Many friends (approx 25%) have either taken, or plan to take the course.

23. - Logic not emotion - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

I took the training last year; but haven’t sent in an application yet. Might this week. Strange as it may sound, my concern was more about the right being recognized than actually exercising it. I.e. I may not take the effort to vote; but I should have the right to do so if I wish…

I have many friends, relatives, and co workers who have or will pursue the permit.

Louis Howe: No need to rehash an old argument or insult those who have a different perspective. Recognition of a constitutional right has finally arrived in Illinois. I suspect the anti’s will see that responsible gun owners are not the problem and that the world will keep spinning; but some (like Mary Shepard) will now be better able to defend themselves. I call that progress.

I assume it is also bringing in a bunch of money to state coffers…

24. - Big Joe - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

I have been trained and have applied. Will probably only carry when traveling with family on the road. Was a near robbery victim while on the interstate with a flat tire on a family vacation. The safety of my family is why I applied.

25. - Logic not emotion - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:22 pm:

Wordslinger: The total cost (training, fingerprint, application) is certainly a barrier to many of the most vulnerable.

26. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

–The total cost (training, fingerprint, application) is certainly a barrier to many of the most vulnerable.–

Believe me, cousin, my friends who haven’t applied are hardly “the most vulnerable,” by any definition, lol.

They employ logic and prioritize where they spend their money, like on Harleys, bass boats and custom-irons.

But your emotional appeal is duly noted. And I’m sure it will be quite prevalent in coming sessions of the GA.

27. - Todd - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

Started the process last week.

28. - Lake county moderate - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:33 pm:

I voted yes and am awaiting mine now … I hope to see it in my mailbox soon!

29. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:36 pm:

–Started the process last week.–

Snow geese keep you busy up til now?

30. - Demoralized - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:39 pm:

I’m not applying but I don’t own guns, and believe me the world is safer because I don’t. There are a few people I work with that are applying, and I believe my girlfriend is considering applying.

31. - Smoggie - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:41 pm:

No, I live in Chicago, so I have no need for a gun.

32. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:44 pm:

–… I believe my girlfriend is considering applying.–

Popping for a long weekend in Miami might be in order….

33. - Demoralized - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:48 pm:

@Word:

Man, I walked right into that one.

34. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:59 pm:

Demoralized, lol, why take any chances?

35. - Anonymous - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:05 pm:

Just in 15 year old shot killed in state troopers home sunday.sterling il.

36. - downstate commissioner - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:19 pm:

Total cost is $400+. Don’t have the pennies right now to do it, but probably will at some time.(be nice to have it with me driving around at night on rural roads) Know several people who have submitted the application, or are in the process of doing it…

37. - Brian - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

I refuse to die without a fight. My family deserves all of the protection I can legally provide.

38. - Ken_in_Aurora - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:32 pm:

Applied, approved and waiting for the mail. The first licenses (not permits) were mailed last week and received by a few Saturday.

Louis Howe, you should have stopped after the first paragraph.

Anonymous - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:05 pm: Yeah, it’s a horrible situation, but last time I checked ISP Troopers had sidearms before FCCL was passed. What’s your point? Just a chumming attempt?

39. - howie - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:48 pm:

Yes, application in progress. Already approved by ISP to conduct training.

40. - Former Merit Comp Slave - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:50 pm:

Definitely going to get mine. Waiting until my gun won’t have ice cycles on it. Grew up with guns, my dad taught how to handle responsibly. Always carried when I lived on another state and certainly plan to here.

41. - Walker - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:06 pm:

No. Don’t feel the need, here or anywhere else in Illinois.

Had way too much experience with weapons in real life-or-death situations, to want to pretend that civilian like is like that here.

42. - LINK - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:08 pm:

Probably will apply and have several friends who have, with one having received his on Saturday.

43. - the Cardinal - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:11 pm:

Will be taking the CC class soon and applying immediately after. Its good to have the option in my opinion.

44. - Anonymous - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:12 pm:

I voted no. My life experience has found my eyes, ears, and mind (read that awareness and rational thought process) do a far better job for personal protection then being able to carry any concealed weapon ever possibly could provide.

45. - Todd - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

No word, session and some other stuff

46. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:24 pm:

Nope. I have done enough shooting to know I’m terrible at it.

47. - John Boch - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

Arrived with today’s mail. Then again, my application was #97.

I’ve carried in many other states under other states’ non-resident permits, but I must say, it ‘feels’ a little different carrying in Illinois.

John

48. - FormerParatrooper - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

I shall take the required training in near future and apply later this year.

I was raised with firearms and received the best training that a country kid could receive. Not to mention the excellent training and real world applications that 21 years as a soldier provided.

Whether I will carry or not, or how often is unknown. I do not want to ever use a firearm in defense of myself or others, the firearm is the last line of defense when others fail to use common sense.

49. - Logic not emotion - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

Rich: Have you applied / received your permit yet?

50. - Anon-Partisan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:57 pm:

Yes, took the training a month ago but haven’t submitted my application just yet. I live in a very rural area and work with dangerous individuals. Will probably carry in my vehicle more often than strapped on my person, but it’s good to have options in determining my own defensive needs. My hope is that my carry weapon can always remain holstered in public.

51. - Bemused - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

Not something I am much interested in myself. I have had some conversations about it with a few friends and was mildly surprised by some who intended to go for it. I am not against guns and did enjoy shooting and hunting in the past. More inclined to go along with Wordslingers friends when spending my money.

52. - ShermanStateEmployee - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:17 pm:

Both my wife and I applied on January 5 at 6:00 a.m. ISP site still shows as being reviewed.

53. - Logic not emotion - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:21 pm:

I’ve been somewhat surprised at the ratio of women who are applying. I doubt if it is the case statewide; but of the many people I personally know who are applying, the majority are women.

The high cost is keeping some from applying who otherwise would though.

54. - Frosty-The Snowman - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:43 pm:

I was thinking about it but it just seemed way too expensive to me. However, I am actually glad to hear that 5,000 other individuals took out their wallets and decided to pay the tab. It is like 5,000 new undercover cops being turned out on the streets of Illinois. And, the best part is that the Illinois taxpayers don’t have to pick up their tab or pay into their pension plans.

Hopefully, future crime statistics will reflect this recent historic event in a positive way by dropping. If I lived or worked in Chicago, then I would definitely have applied for a concealed carry permit.

55. - Sunshine - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:54 pm:

Yes, me and lots of people I know, men and women.

I’ll apply later. I had concealed tank training some years back, as we’ll as concealed mortar. Worked out well.

56. - Cook County Commoner - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:58 pm:

I expect to do it when the frenzy dies down. I don’t see a need for most people within the next five years. But the steady economic deterioration in Illinois and the US may change a lot of peoples minds. I’ll be well in seniordom in five years, and unless the powers that be come up with some ideas that stem the unemployment rolls, I’d rather have the option as the “safe zones” start shrinking.

57. - Louis Howe - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 5:04 pm:

To Ken-in-Aurora: Most real males understand that some of you guys need to carry something hard and dangerous because you don’t have any below you belts to scare anybody.

58. - Joan P. - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 5:05 pm:

I said, “No”, but I should say, “Not that I know of”.

59. - Gantt Chart - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 6:23 pm:

Voted “Yes, me”. A concealed firearm in the hands of a properly trained, law-abiding citizen, is a valuable piece of safety equipment—like a fire extinguisher. It makes everybody safer because the bad guys never know exactly who’s carrying.

60. - Odysseus - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 7:40 pm:

I have no interest whatsoever in owning a gun.

61. - Ktown - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 9:01 pm:

Yes I will be applying, just to have one around the house I seriously doubt if I ever take it no further than the front porch of my house.

62. - Just The Way It Is One - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:00 pm:

Various family members plan to. I, too, may in time, but have a recently diagnosed visual disability, and cataracts, which have not prevented me from hunting but have grown more pronounced of late, so, no pun intended, but we’ll see…!

63. - Madigan Smadigan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:49 pm:

I will apply when I have time to take the classes, but doubt I’ll carry in Illinois unless I get in areas I feel the need to. But I want to be covered legally in any situation.

Any time I travel within the state I have a handgun in my car; cased, unloaded, legal. But it wouldn’t take me 20 seconds to be loaded and armed if needed.

As an Illinois resident, I have held a concealed carry license issued from UTAH for the last two years which allows me to legally carry in 29 states which includes every state that borders Illinois. As soon as I cross into Missouri, the pistol comes out of the case, a clip inserted, then at hands reach or concealed, whichever I choose.

64. - RonOglesby - Tuesday, Mar 4, 14 @ 4:29 am:

@Louis Howe
    Great arguments / attacks. Anything good to add or just wanting to insult?

65. - Logic not emotion - Tuesday, Mar 4, 14 @ 9:09 am:

Louis Howe @5:04: Thanks for sharing an excellent insight into the minds of those who have the anti-gun mentality. It shines like a beacon as an example for those who fail to understand why pro-rights people get frustrated trying to reason with the other side.

66. - Ken_in_Aurora - Tuesday, Mar 4, 14 @ 11:32 am:

- Louis Howe - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 5:04 pm:

Been saving that one up, eh? Cool story, bro.

67. - coldbore - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

It’s America…it’s my right.

* How much do county employees make?
* How the state's other union contracts compare to the AFSCME situation
* *** UPDATED x1 - Tillman weighs in *** Proft warns Rauner, Senate Repubs on grand bargain votes
* *** UPDATED x1 *** "I never thought it would be so hard to give away a half-a-million dollars"
* State Farm takes huge hit on auto insurance
* Mayor Emanuel touts another first place finish as President Trump continues criticism
* The hard part begins today
* *** LIVE *** Senate session coverage
* Rep. Chapa LaVia fails to advance to final round

* Expensive Aurora Primary May Be Taste Of Very E.....
* Illinois Governor Stands His Ground As Public E.....
* Weather service, governor to survey Illinois st.....
* Weather service, governor to survey Illinois st.....
* Weather cancels meeting between Gov. Rauner, Ch.....
* Illinois towns see damage, power outages after .....
* Gov. Rauner to meet with Chance the Rapper Wedn.....
* Rauner simplifies job-application program in ca.....

* The Latest: Storms flood West Virginia roads, creeks
* Chicago's lack of snow in 2017 sets 146-year record
* Illinois towns see damage, power outages after deadly storms
* Storm system that killed 3 in Midwest rumbles eastward
* Weather cancels meeting between Illinois governor, rapper
* EXCHANGE: STEM students create winning invention
* Illinois Senate faces tough votes on taxes, school funding
* Some facts about hail from the National Weather Service
* At least 2 dead after tornadoes touch down in central US
* Opening statements scheduled in ex-prosecutor's retrial

* Weather cancels meeting between Illinois governor, rapper
* 2nd death in Illinois blamed on severe storms
* 1 person killed by northern Illinois tornado
* 'Grand bargain' budget deal taking shape in Senate
* In response to possible AFSCME strike, Rauner launches jobs website
* Bumps, bruises reported after tornado hits northern Illinois nursing home
* Illinois Senate makes progress on 'grand bargain'
* Corrections officials: State wasn't told Chicago slaying suspect should be held
* Rauner, Chance the Rapper to talk Chicago school funding
* United announces plans for more flights, new destinations

* Let your inner glitter and glam shine through
* Rauner launches jobs website in case of strike
* This brand new coffee chain promises to be different. Really.
* Chicago among top 5 cities for public health policy, even though we're overweight
* Dash Financial merger aids GTCR investment

* Student sexually assaulted at Roosevelt University dorm
* Broadway-bound Tracy Letts play in Steppenwolf’s 2017-18 season
* Cubs, White Sox Wednesday spring training report
* New ‘Chicago Justice’ like ‘Law & Order’ with lesser talent
* Cubs’ sage advice for Dancin’ fool David Ross: ‘Don’t suck’
* Fifth man charged with murder of Niles North student in 2014
* Putting the Spring into a jam-packed Chicago theater season
* Villa Park man charged with burglarizing car in Elmhurst
* Bears’ QB situation is fluid, but GM Ryan Pace likes his options
* Report: Oprah says Trump won, so maybe she’ll run for president

* Fact check: Donald Trump's claims on jobs, Obamacare, immigration and more
* US stocks surge in early trading; Dow crosses 21,000 points
* John Mahoney and women directors at Steppenwolf next season
* President Oprah? Hmm, queen of TV says
* Ryan Pace: Bears wait for Alshon Jeffery to test free agency; Jay Cutler situation 'fluid'
* NBC-5 news anchor Rob Stafford to undergo bone marrow transplant for rare blood disease
* Matt Szczur immortalizes Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant on canvas
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 3/1/17
* McDonald's halts trading ahead of investor day
* Vegetables in Chicago may be pricier this spring because of California rain

» Evacuation Order Has Some Indiana Residents Scrambling For Housing
» A Project That Could Double Heating Bills In Chicago Gets A Closer Look From Regulators
» At Least Three Dead After Tornadoes Touch Down In Central U.S.
» Senate 'Grand Bargain' Begins To Move, But Thoughest Votes Are Still Ahead
» Senate 'Grand Bargain' Begins To Move, But Toughest Votes Are Still Ahead
» Obama-Backed Candidate Wins 4th Ward Special Election
» Early End To Chicago School Year Could Cost CPS $18 Million In State Money
» The Illinois Senate Passed A Budget Tuesday, With A Big Caveat
» Blame Game Over Release Of Illinois Inmate Charged With Murder
» Group Donates $2 Million For Kids Rock Band Classes

* Weather cancels meeting between Illinois governor, rapper
* 2nd death in Illinois blamed on severe storms
* 1 person killed by northern Illinois tornado
* 'Grand bargain' budget deal taking shape in Senate
* Our View: No one wins in an AFSCME strike
* In response to possible AFSCME strike, Rauner launches jobs website
* E.J. Dionne: Trump and Bannon are the ‘corporatists’
* Irv Smith: Bob Michel was always a friend to Sangamon County
* Michael Gerson: A heartfelt look at how evangelical gays are finding their place
* Catherine Rampell: Republicans take freedom away — in the name of freedom

* Five acts at Daytrotter Downs to know before you go
* Daytrotter Downs is back: What you need to know
* Panthers win MVCHA championship
* Who's in the news? Matt Mendenhall
* Two charged with murder in airport nerve agent attack
* Trump budget plan draws strong opposition — from Republicans
* Weather service, governor to survey Illinois storm damage
* Storm system that killed 3 in Midwest rumbles eastward
* AP Fact Check: Trump takes credit he hasn't earned
* Construction spending drops 1% in January

* How Addison's McCann constructed the American dream
* Crafts: Glassblowing's gotten easier for amateurs to learn
* IN Forecast
* IN Current Conditions
* Family brings comfortable Italian back to Arlington Heights with Via Arenella

* Majority of IL Congressional Delegation Op...
* Group upset with Trump wants Town Hall mee...
* Hultgren to join veterans' forum at Geneva...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren talks veterans' iss...
* Hultgren to participate in veterans forum ...
* Majority of IL Congressional Delegation Op...
* Group upset with Trump wants Town Hall mee...
* Hultgren to join veterans' forum at Geneva...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren talks veterans' iss...
* Hultgren to participate in veterans forum ...

* Congress: Vote against a Wall Street windf......

* Sen. Duckworth criticizes Trump military c......

* JASC Presents "Memories of Now Series Seminar: Japanese Americans in Prewar Chicago"
* Protect America rally adds speakers for Saturday at noon
* Dabrowski: "Grand bargain" is taxpayer bailout of Springfield's failures
* Oscar Sunday.
* Rauner: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Instead lecture him that he should be eating steak.
* Illinois REALTORS® supports Gambino with independent expenditures
* REALTOR® Goodman wins four-way battle for Lincoln mayor’s job
* Electric brains on the gig poster of the week
* The OnEdge experimental performance series questions traditional theatrical norms
* Immigration Talk and Q&A Thursday Morning

* Rauner Administration Launches Jobs Portal
* IEMA Urges People to Prepare for Severe Weather - Dangerous storms predicted through Tuesday evening for much of Illinois
* Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs Hosts 26th Desert Storm Remembrance Ceremony
* Governor Announces Medicaid Managed Care Reboot
* Returning Illinois Products Expo Offers 'Taste of Illinois Agriculture' - Supporting Illinois agri-businesses creates boost to Illinois economy

* Spotify is testing a lossless subscription tier for $15 to $20 per month
* Samsung Galaxy S8 shows up in the flesh in sharp new leaked photos
* Google unveils playable ads for Android game developers and other tools
* Nearpod raises $21 million to turn mobile devices into a teaching tool rather than classroom distraction
* [Deal] Get a free Chromecast or Chromecast Audio after buying a Google Home
* Cricket Wireless tweaks unlimited plan, lowers price to $55/mo
* HTC Vive financing launched, Tracker and Deluxe Audio Strap prices unveiled at MWC

* Process outweighs results for Kopech, Lopez
* Danish finds silver lining in knee injury
* Garcia raps four hits for rallying White Sox
* Kopech fans 2, hits 100 mph against Seattle
* Buehrle's former teammates thrilled about honor
* Abreu slugs first Sox homer; Giolito debuts