Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Monday, Mar 3, 2014

* Illinois Issues

The Illinois State Police announced [Friday] that 5,000 concealed carry licenses have been approved. They have begun printing and mailing licenses as of today. The state police say residents could begin receiving licenses as soon as Monday.

Applicants are required to pass background checks and complete a 16-hour safety course, including a live-fire exercise. Licenses cost $150 and are good for five years. After five years, licensees must reapply and take a three-hour training course. So far, the state police have received more than 50,000 applications since they began taking them in early January. Supporters of the law say they are happy to see that the police are issuing licenses even earlier than expected. “The state police have done a fantastic job. … We thought we’d be three months before we’d get a permit out. So they’re going to get these permits out a little early,” said Benton Democratic Sen. Gary Forby, who was a sponsor of the concealed carry legislation.

Law enforcement officials can object to applications, and so far the state police have objected to about 800. So far, none of those objections have been appealed. The state police plan to deny about 300 applications after they go through one final review process to ensure that the applicants are indeed ineligible.

* The Question: Are you or is anyone you know planning to apply for a concealed carry license? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

web surveys

1. - Belle - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:18 pm:

It seems seems evenly split at the moment.
    No one in our household is interested in guns so we’re not applying for a permit. I’d rather the world operate without guns. Obviously, people who have been trained and have permits are better than people who have no idea what they are doing with weapons.

2. - A guy... - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:21 pm:

I’m a gun rights guy, but not a gun enthusiast myself. I do occasionally clear the sidewalk of snow and bring baked goods over to my more enthusiastic gun owner neighbors. I’ll speed dial them before 911. A big dog is also part of my family. I should have named him ‘Rich Miller’. He looks ferocious, but he’s as friendly as Oscar. He’s fair though and spreads his territory respectfully.

3. - circularfiringsquad - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:26 pm:

last nite at dinner 2 people we are related to discussed best places to go to get CCL training, etc.
    Can’t wait

4. - RonOglesby - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:27 pm:

Waiting for mine now. have had permits from several other states for years now. Illinois has finally caught up.

5. - countyline - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:30 pm:

Out of 6 people in my office, 2 are currently enrolled in training, and I’m waiting until after the rush, as are 2 others in my office. The other won’t bother, not because he’s against it, but because he has too many irons in the fire to take the time for training.

6. - lake county democrat - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:31 pm:

IIRC, a friend of mine is taking a class at college of lake county (that seems strange - maybe it’s nearby or they’re just hosting it) in order to qualify for the license.

7. - G'Kar - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:38 pm:

Just because I am currently not aware of any of my friends and colleagues applying for a license, doesn’t mean that some of them have and just not mentioned it.

8. - Bunson8r - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

Only gun I own is a paintball gun.

9. - olddog - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

Answered no. I live in town, and I don’t raise livestock. I don’t need a gun.

10. - Mason born - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:50 pm:

I have applied. 4 more in my immediate family and inlaws. About 4 coworkers who have mentioned it. Of those I am the only one with an app in.

11. - 47th Ward - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:51 pm:

A very good friend who owns a small restaurant, and thus handles a lot of cash at night, is trained and waiting for his permit.

As much as I pushed back against a lot of the pro-gun arguments, this friend of mine is exactly the kind of person CC was made for. He is responsible, trained, and vulnerable to being robbed, moreso than others. Now he can protect himself.

Here’s hoping he’ll never need to.

12. - Gramps - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

My wife and I live way out in the country and have quite a bit of land. There’s been a few thefts in the area and I just want to make sure all “I”s are dotted and “t”s are crossed. Not that we are expecting any issues.

13. - Johnny Boy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:55 pm:

Waiting on mine - long time overdue in this neo socialist nanny state.

14. - Toure's Latte - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:57 pm:

I support 2A but have no plans to get a FOID or CC, and guns in our home with kids is a non-starter for both myself and my wife.

15. - RonOglesby - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:57 pm:

@ 4th
    “He is responsible, trained, and vulnerable to being robbed, moreso than others.”

I feel that same way, though I dont think he (or I) should have to prove that we are more likely than anyone to be robbed or attacked. believe me, my daughter means more to me than any bag of money I might have.

But you are right about part of that. Trained and responsible gun owners are not the problem.

16. - Norseman - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

No. Don’t travel enough to need one myself.

17. - Louis Howe - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:01 pm:

I am into self-preservation and not exposing myself to needless risky behavior. I am not interested in owning a gun, and don’t at all feel threatened either in my home or public places.

So why would any rational person want to carry a gun in public?

Gun death statistics are far too weighted toward either suicide or violence among family members and friends. I know of three personal friends, all very rational, very educated, who in moment of despair killed themselves with guns. Illinois joining the ranks of states allowing citizens to pack heat in public places—It’s ridiculous.

I am reminded of the Mae West classic line… “is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happily to see me?” For me, I’d rather a woman think that I was just happy to see her.

18. - Been There - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

I voted no. I didn’t have much luck playing around with BB guns when I was kid. Some of those misplaced shots back then would be fatal with a real gun.

19. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

I’m not. I simply don’t feel the need to carry a gun in public.

Given the number of cell phones and sunglasses I’ve lost over the years, that’s probably just as well for everyone.

But I have friends who have applied. More would if they could shake loose the cash for training.

20. - Hoping for Rational Thought - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:12 pm:

I haven’t taken class yet but will and then apply. I don’t know if I will actually carry much but I do like to have the option. I own guns and keep them locked safely and practice safe handling. I enjoy shooting and hunting. I hope to never be in the situation where I would need to protect myself.

21. - Anonymous - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:14 pm:

At a last a law that grants rights rather than takes them. can local law enforcement also ask for rights to be restored once denied or state troopers overrule?

22. - Plutocrat03 - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:17 pm:

Scheduled for course in April.

Don’t actually plan of carrying, but want that option if the need arises.

Many friends (approx 25%) have either taken, or plan to take the course.

23. - Logic not emotion - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

I took the training last year; but haven’t sent in an application yet. Might this week. Strange as it may sound, my concern was more about the right being recognized than actually exercising it. I.e. I may not take the effort to vote; but I should have the right to do so if I wish…

I have many friends, relatives, and co workers who have or will pursue the permit.

Louis Howe: No need to rehash an old argument or insult those who have a different perspective. Recognition of a constitutional right has finally arrived in Illinois. I suspect the anti’s will see that responsible gun owners are not the problem and that the world will keep spinning; but some (like Mary Shepard) will now be better able to defend themselves. I call that progress.

I assume it is also bringing in a bunch of money to state coffers…

24. - Big Joe - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

I have been trained and have applied. Will probably only carry when traveling with family on the road. Was a near robbery victim while on the interstate with a flat tire on a family vacation. The safety of my family is why I applied.

25. - Logic not emotion - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:22 pm:

Wordslinger: The total cost (training, fingerprint, application) is certainly a barrier to many of the most vulnerable.

26. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

–The total cost (training, fingerprint, application) is certainly a barrier to many of the most vulnerable.–

Believe me, cousin, my friends who haven’t applied are hardly “the most vulnerable,” by any definition, lol.

They employ logic and prioritize where they spend their money, like on Harleys, bass boats and custom-irons.

But your emotional appeal is duly noted. And I’m sure it will be quite prevalent in coming sessions of the GA.

27. - Todd - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

Started the process last week.

28. - Lake county moderate - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:33 pm:

I voted yes and am awaiting mine now … I hope to see it in my mailbox soon!

29. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:36 pm:

–Started the process last week.–

Snow geese keep you busy up til now?

30. - Demoralized - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:39 pm:

I’m not applying but I don’t own guns, and believe me the world is safer because I don’t. There are a few people I work with that are applying, and I believe my girlfriend is considering applying.

31. - Smoggie - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:41 pm:

No, I live in Chicago, so I have no need for a gun.

32. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:44 pm:

–… I believe my girlfriend is considering applying.–

Popping for a long weekend in Miami might be in order….

33. - Demoralized - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:48 pm:

@Word:

Man, I walked right into that one.

34. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:59 pm:

Demoralized, lol, why take any chances?

35. - Anonymous - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:05 pm:

Just in 15 year old shot killed in state troopers home sunday.sterling il.

36. - downstate commissioner - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:19 pm:

Total cost is $400+. Don’t have the pennies right now to do it, but probably will at some time.(be nice to have it with me driving around at night on rural roads) Know several people who have submitted the application, or are in the process of doing it…

37. - Brian - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

I refuse to die without a fight. My family deserves all of the protection I can legally provide.

38. - Ken_in_Aurora - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:32 pm:

Applied, approved and waiting for the mail. The first licenses (not permits) were mailed last week and received by a few Saturday.

Louis Howe, you should have stopped after the first paragraph.

Anonymous - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:05 pm: Yeah, it’s a horrible situation, but last time I checked ISP Troopers had sidearms before FCCL was passed. What’s your point? Just a chumming attempt?

39. - howie - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:48 pm:

Yes, application in progress. Already approved by ISP to conduct training.

40. - Former Merit Comp Slave - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 2:50 pm:

Definitely going to get mine. Waiting until my gun won’t have ice cycles on it. Grew up with guns, my dad taught how to handle responsibly. Always carried when I lived on another state and certainly plan to here.

41. - Walker - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:06 pm:

No. Don’t feel the need, here or anywhere else in Illinois.

Had way too much experience with weapons in real life-or-death situations, to want to pretend that civilian like is like that here.

42. - LINK - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:08 pm:

Probably will apply and have several friends who have, with one having received his on Saturday.

43. - the Cardinal - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:11 pm:

Will be taking the CC class soon and applying immediately after. Its good to have the option in my opinion.

44. - Anonymous - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:12 pm:

I voted no. My life experience has found my eyes, ears, and mind (read that awareness and rational thought process) do a far better job for personal protection then being able to carry any concealed weapon ever possibly could provide.

45. - Todd - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

No word, session and some other stuff

46. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:24 pm:

Nope. I have done enough shooting to know I’m terrible at it.

47. - John Boch - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

Arrived with today’s mail. Then again, my application was #97.

I’ve carried in many other states under other states’ non-resident permits, but I must say, it ‘feels’ a little different carrying in Illinois.

John

48. - FormerParatrooper - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

I shall take the required training in near future and apply later this year.

I was raised with firearms and received the best training that a country kid could receive. Not to mention the excellent training and real world applications that 21 years as a soldier provided.

Whether I will carry or not, or how often is unknown. I do not want to ever use a firearm in defense of myself or others, the firearm is the last line of defense when others fail to use common sense.

49. - Logic not emotion - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

Rich: Have you applied / received your permit yet?

50. - Anon-Partisan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:57 pm:

Yes, took the training a month ago but haven’t submitted my application just yet. I live in a very rural area and work with dangerous individuals. Will probably carry in my vehicle more often than strapped on my person, but it’s good to have options in determining my own defensive needs. My hope is that my carry weapon can always remain holstered in public.

51. - Bemused - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

Not something I am much interested in myself. I have had some conversations about it with a few friends and was mildly surprised by some who intended to go for it. I am not against guns and did enjoy shooting and hunting in the past. More inclined to go along with Wordslingers friends when spending my money.

52. - ShermanStateEmployee - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:17 pm:

Both my wife and I applied on January 5 at 6:00 a.m. ISP site still shows as being reviewed.

53. - Logic not emotion - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:21 pm:

I’ve been somewhat surprised at the ratio of women who are applying. I doubt if it is the case statewide; but of the many people I personally know who are applying, the majority are women.

The high cost is keeping some from applying who otherwise would though.

54. - Frosty-The Snowman - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:43 pm:

I was thinking about it but it just seemed way too expensive to me. However, I am actually glad to hear that 5,000 other individuals took out their wallets and decided to pay the tab. It is like 5,000 new undercover cops being turned out on the streets of Illinois. And, the best part is that the Illinois taxpayers don’t have to pick up their tab or pay into their pension plans.

Hopefully, future crime statistics will reflect this recent historic event in a positive way by dropping. If I lived or worked in Chicago, then I would definitely have applied for a concealed carry permit.

55. - Sunshine - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:54 pm:

Yes, me and lots of people I know, men and women.

I’ll apply later. I had concealed tank training some years back, as we’ll as concealed mortar. Worked out well.

56. - Cook County Commoner - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:58 pm:

I expect to do it when the frenzy dies down. I don’t see a need for most people within the next five years. But the steady economic deterioration in Illinois and the US may change a lot of peoples minds. I’ll be well in seniordom in five years, and unless the powers that be come up with some ideas that stem the unemployment rolls, I’d rather have the option as the “safe zones” start shrinking.

57. - Louis Howe - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 5:04 pm:

To Ken-in-Aurora: Most real males understand that some of you guys need to carry something hard and dangerous because you don’t have any below you belts to scare anybody.

58. - Joan P. - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 5:05 pm:

I said, “No”, but I should say, “Not that I know of”.

59. - Gantt Chart - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 6:23 pm:

Voted “Yes, me”. A concealed firearm in the hands of a properly trained, law-abiding citizen, is a valuable piece of safety equipment—like a fire extinguisher. It makes everybody safer because the bad guys never know exactly who’s carrying.

60. - Odysseus - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 7:40 pm:

I have no interest whatsoever in owning a gun.

61. - Ktown - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 9:01 pm:

Yes I will be applying, just to have one around the house I seriously doubt if I ever take it no further than the front porch of my house.

62. - Just The Way It Is One - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:00 pm:

Various family members plan to. I, too, may in time, but have a recently diagnosed visual disability, and cataracts, which have not prevented me from hunting but have grown more pronounced of late, so, no pun intended, but we’ll see…!

63. - Madigan Smadigan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:49 pm:

I will apply when I have time to take the classes, but doubt I’ll carry in Illinois unless I get in areas I feel the need to. But I want to be covered legally in any situation.

Any time I travel within the state I have a handgun in my car; cased, unloaded, legal. But it wouldn’t take me 20 seconds to be loaded and armed if needed.

As an Illinois resident, I have held a concealed carry license issued from UTAH for the last two years which allows me to legally carry in 29 states which includes every state that borders Illinois. As soon as I cross into Missouri, the pistol comes out of the case, a clip inserted, then at hands reach or concealed, whichever I choose.

64. - RonOglesby - Tuesday, Mar 4, 14 @ 4:29 am:

@Louis Howe
    Great arguments / attacks. Anything good to add or just wanting to insult?

65. - Logic not emotion - Tuesday, Mar 4, 14 @ 9:09 am:

Louis Howe @5:04: Thanks for sharing an excellent insight into the minds of those who have the anti-gun mentality. It shines like a beacon as an example for those who fail to understand why pro-rights people get frustrated trying to reason with the other side.

66. - Ken_in_Aurora - Tuesday, Mar 4, 14 @ 11:32 am:

- Louis Howe - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 5:04 pm:

Been saving that one up, eh? Cool story, bro.

67. - coldbore - Friday, Mar 21, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

It’s America…it’s my right.

* Our sorry state
* Unsolicited advice
* "What we are being asked to do is cut off vital organs"
* GOP gearing up for 2018
* Kennedy can't or won't explain misleading property tax claim
* 69 percent say Illinois on wrong track, 69 percent say budget is most important issue
* New Poll Shows 76% of Illinois Voters Oppose Increased Data Collection Legislation
* Another hostage warns of imminent demise
* HDems say they want to work in "good faith" with Rauner
* Senate Dems try to go it alone with their own budget plan
* Broken promises, broken state cause bond downgrade in Quincy
* *** LIVE *** Session coverage

* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....
* Unsolicited advice - The Capitol Fax Blog (blog)..
* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....
* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....
* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....
* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....
* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....
* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....
* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....
* The Latest: Senate Dems float less-severe budge.....

* The Latest: House Democrats propose college grant program
* Illinois to receive $1.2M of Target data breach settlement
* Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in Illinois
* Expiring law could leave Route 66 towns without key funding
* Chicago area school to send new diplomas after finding error
* Springfield developer, lobbyist pitch downtown casino
* Cook County board president to seek third term next year
* EXCHANGE: Veteran says unit remained vulnerable after war
* Authorities: Boy dies after truck rolls over him in Illinois
* Authorities: Boy dies after truck rolls over him in Illinois

* Illinois Senate plans to vote on budget today
* Museums team up for reflection on former Gov. James Thompson
* Workers' comp changes could face Illinois Senate vote
* Sangamon among counties in jury diversity pilot project
* Developer Chris Stone pushing for casino in downtown Springfield
* Developer Stone pushing for casino in downtown Springfield
* Push to rename road after late Macon County sheriff
* Tricky, unpopular budget at crux of Senate 'grand bargain'
* Blagojevich attorneys ask for another appeals court hearing
* Rauner administration denies it planted false info about school funding reform

* Sears gets breathing room with loan, pension deals
* Ex-McDonald's CEO Thompson buys control of a pizza chain
* Public finance campaign bill picks up momentum
* Booth alum donates $20 million to school's Social Enterprise Initiative
* Delay on Obamacare subsidy decision leaves insurers in limbo

* Target to pay $18.5M to settle data-breach lawsuit
* 30 more surveillance cameras to be installed around Wrigley Field
* Six violent robberies reported in Greater Grand Crossing
* Pass Fair Elections Act to fix broken Illinois
* Expiring law could leave Route 66 towns without key funding
* Sponsors pull out of NY Puerto Rican parade over Oscar Lopez Rivera
* Man killed in crash in unincorporated Palos Park
* Senate Dems try to go it alone on budget, again
* Spacewalking astronauts pull off urgent station repairs
* President Donald Trump’s $4 trillion budget arrives on Capitol Hill

* All aboard: Joliet Rocket steamin' into town
* A guide to 2017's suburban Chicago summer festivals
* Cubs to pay $1 million for security cameras outside Wrigley
* Manchester police hunt for accomplices of suicide bomber who killed 22
* 'Domestic incident' leaves couple fatally shot, third person injured: Woodridge police
* Ex-CIA chief concerned over Trump campaign Kremlin contacts
* 2018 mock drafts don't see Bears improving much
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 5/23/17
* Omarr's daily astrological forecast, For release 05/23/17 for 05/23/17
* Yes, these NBA playoffs have stunk so far. So what?

» 2 More Leaks Found Along Dakota Access Pipeline
» Springfield Casino? A Businessman Likes The Odds
» Bevy Of Bobcats: Thriving Animals Poised As Next Urban Pest
» New York Parade Organizers Support Honoring Puerto Rican Nationalist
» Durbin: Too Early For Talk Of Impeachment
» Finding Closure: Cook County Families Get a Chance to Find Missing Loved Ones
» Mayor: More HIV Positive Chicaogoans Than Ever Receive Treatment
» Illinois’ Medicaid Problems Could Jeopardize Money For Schools, State Workers, Attorneys say
» CPD To Delay Start Of New Use-Of-Force Policy
» CPD Defends Start Date Of New Use-Of-Force Policy

* Illinois Senate plans to vote on budget today
* Museums team up for reflection on former Gov. James Thompson
* Workers' comp changes could face Illinois Senate vote
* Sangamon among counties in jury diversity pilot project
* Developer Chris Stone pushing for casino in downtown Springfield
* Sounding the Alarm: Entrenched politics require real reforms in Illinois
* Marc Thiessen: Leakers who revealed Israel as intelligence source did far more damage than Trump
* Developer Stone pushing for casino in downtown Springfield
* Push to rename road after late Macon County sheriff
* Sounding the Alarm: A look at Illinois' financial crisis

* Alton Police Department announces numerous drug-related arrests
* PODCAST: Mike Haile remembers Dave Shaul
* Gov. Rauner to host end-of-session update on Facebook live
* PODCAST: John Paul remembers Dave Shaul
* Mt. Olive man dies Monday after being thrown from motorcycle
* I-74 closed after police chase
* Nombo's comfort foods and more join food truck scene in the Q-C
* A look back at the Quad-City Times of the 1940s
* Smithton District 130 Superintendent Susan Homes is resigning
* Security increased after bomb threat at PBL

* NAMI Northwest Suburban honors longtime volunteer
* Police: Husband, wife dead in Woodridge apartment shooting
* Music notes: Scott Stapp unplugs at the Arcada
* Roger Moore, star of 7 James Bond films, dies at 89
* IN Forecast

* Batavia resident announces candidacy for 1...
* House GOP takes first steps to undo financ...
* Jim Walz Will Challenge Randy Hultgren for...
* PHOTOS: Protesters stage die-in at Randy H...
* Protesters continue die-in at US Rep. Rand...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren's office the scene ...
* Second Democrat announces bid to unseat Hu...
* Local Republicans, Democrats praise appoin...
* Batavia resident, teacher hopes to challen...
* Teacher raised in Yorkville running agains...

* Durbin compares Trump to former governor R......
* Durbin Asks Feds for Help with Gun Violenc......

* Duckworth votes against Branstad as ambass......
* Democrat Senator Asks NSA for Security Det......

* 20 for 20: Illinois REALTORS® hit every member of state’s congressional delegation
* Look for Illinois REALTORS® April housing report Wednesday
* Campaign website launched, June 28 fundraiser set for Scott McKenna
* Durbin compares Trump to former governor Rod Blagojevich, and other Chicago news
* Campaign website, June 6 fundraiser set for Judge Myron Mackoff
* McMaster.
* Alderman Arena. We better have his back.
* Immigrants In Detention Centers Are Often Hundreds Of Miles From Legal Help
* The [Tuesday] Papers
* Buena Park Circle's Summer Entertainment Schedule Announced

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Baffling Moto G5S gets rendered in trio of paint jobs with all-metal construction
* [Deal] Take $50 off the Moto Z Play, buy it for $399
* Duet Display for iPad Updated With New Pro Features
* Pinterest brings full dish recognition to its Lens camera search
* Apple Expands iTunes Carrier Billing to France and Turkey
* Apple predictably tops another customer satisfaction report, but the iPhone SE leads the device pack
* Instagram Makes It Easier to Search Stories Through Locations and Hashtags, Adds Archival Feature

* White Sox can't solve Greinke in opening loss