Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Oh, it’s on
Oh, it’s on

Wednesday, Mar 5, 2014

* I caught more than a little good-natured grief while I was out on the town last night regarding my admittedly non-plungy Polar Plunge.

And today, Sen. Bill Cunningham rubs it in…

Whatever, dude.

* Our page was in the top fifteen of all 2,466 Special Olympics Chicago fundraisers. I searched for “Cunningham” and didn’t find any results.

So, top that, Senator.

…Adding… How about we do a caption contest on that second Cunningham photo? I’ll donate $100 to Special Olympics Chicago in the name of the funniest commenter. And I’ll shame Sen. Cunningham into at least matching it.

Heh.

…Adding More… Always a good sport, Sen. Cunningham says he’ll donate $200 in the name of today’s winner. Thanks!

1. - PublicServant - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:42 am:

The 2nd photo looks like he’s used to burying his head in the sand. Not healthy for the state, or, if he stayed there long enough, him either.

2. - Anon - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:42 am:

The money raised is fantastic.

But it was raised so we could see you plunge!

I’d say you owe us a Cunningham-style faceplant!

3. - circularfiringsquad - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:43 am:

what a beautiful way to remember this important charitable event :)

4. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:46 am:

Hey - some folks go full submersion during a baptism and some go for a sprinkle. It is still a baptism, sir!

I am also not seeing you singing, “Shall We Gather By The River” when you are doing this either - so forgo the holier-than-thou.

Rich - you are saved. At least ankle down.

5. - I'm New Here - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:46 am:

Rich, I don’t think the water made it above your ankles.

We’re used to broken promises from elected officials. But from our favorite statehouse reporter?

6. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:49 am:

I never promised to go all in. Not once. Not ever.

7. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:50 am:

“Sen. Bill Cunningham was treated and released from Northwestern Hospital after accidentally falling into Lake Michigan this morning face-first during the annual “Polar Plunge.”

8. - Nearly Normal - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:50 am:

Caption: Anybody see my contact lens out there? Let me see if I can find it.

9. - Old Shepherd - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:50 am:

“Frightened swimmers flee in fear when a great white senator was spotted in Lake Michigan.”

10. - PublicServant - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:52 am:

When someone says they were in the top 15, you can be pretty sure that means that they were in 15th place, but we were in the top 15 sounds a lot better. Congratulations in any case Rich. I’m just sensitive to rankings having just gone through my 3rd child’s college application process…again.

11. - Bill Cunningham - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:53 am:

You’re right, Rich. The Special Olympics will probably take your fundraising ability over my belly-flopping prowess any day. I’ll kick in $200 in the name of the caption contest winner.

And kudos to the other General Assembly members who took the Polar Plunge: Fran Hurley, Ann Williams, and John Mulroe.

12. - Frosty-The Snowman - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:55 am:

They say “Real men” only splash water in their face unless they can see huge blocks of ice the size of icebergs floating in the water alongside of them while polar bears swim nearby. Our senior ladies sewing circle totally understands your timidity and hesitation to “catch a cold”, Mr. Miller. Now you make sure that you eat the chicken soup that we girls are sending to you.

13. - A guy... - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:55 am:

Caption: See Bill Cunningham searching for Rich Miller’s ankles”.

14. - 3rd Generation Chicago Native - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 10:57 am:

Look at everyone running away they must think he is some sea/lake creature.

15. - Stones - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:00 am:

“Sen. Cunningham still picking sand from between his teeth. Note to self: next time try diving into something deeper than 3 inches”

16. - Credibility - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:01 am:

-I never promised to go all in. Not once. Not ever.-

Probably should’ve put that disclaimer in there. Did you violate the pure language of plunge? Maybe not. But you certainly violated the spirit of the plunge. Kudos on the fundraising, it’s truly admirable, but the credibility issue may cause some folks to ask questions the next time you solicit donations in exchange for something you say you will do.

17. - logchain - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:02 am:

I think helping to raise money for charities is a great thing, but this seems to me to be a risky way to do it. Just wondering how many people will get sick from doing it! It AIN’T a normal thing to do! Rich, you are the smartest one of the bunch. LOL

18. - Midstate Indy - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:04 am:

Bill Cunningham: the only thing in Illinois government more underwater than GARS.

19. - OneMan - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:06 am:

Senator Cunningham discovers the most effective way to get away from political ads for the next two weeks.

20. - Norseman - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:07 am:

Another legislator flops as the people head in the opposite direction.

21. - OneMan - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:08 am:

Well Senator you can either listen to Governor Quinn talk about what he wants to do for the people of Illinois, fine and true or go jump into Lake Michigan….

22. - OneMan - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:09 am:

Senator can you pose for a picture with Governor Quinn…

23. - teddy salad - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:13 am:

COMMINIG TO THEATERS…..

March 2…..

AQUA SENATOR II…….

RISE OF THE FACE SPLASHERS.

24. - Loop Lady - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:13 am:

“Dammit, that fish took my bait again”…

25. - S&P - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:17 am:

Credit ratings aren’t the only thing sinking in Chicago.

26. - Superanon - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:17 am:

Senator… Senator, this committee owes an apology! This committee owes an apology, Senator!”

27. - PERPLEXED - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:17 am:

“If the Pension Reform I voted for doesn’t pass constitutional scrutiny…I’ll just drown myself!

28. - lake county democrat - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:20 am:

My mom asked if my friends jumped off a bridge would I do it too - take that mom!

29. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:21 am:

It’s an old Sicilian message. It means Senator Cunningham sleeps with the fishes.

30. - Timmeh - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:23 am:

Caption: “SHARK!”

31. - Mokenavince - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:23 am:

Your quote Rich reminds me of the great statesman
    Bill Clinton’s I never had sex with that woman.

It’ all good fun and the Special Olympics did great.

32. - Under Further Review - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:26 am:

Rich Miller was an “Army of One.” He got his feet wet for charity and that is good enough.

33. - Ryan_W - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:27 am:

Senator Bill Cunningham found himself underwater at Tuesday’s Polar Plunge, but unlike the State of Illinois, he was able to get back out.

34. - AFSCME Steward - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:34 am:

The old debate: Are you a sprinkler or a dunker ?

35. - vttk17a1 - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:35 am:

“Now where exactly did that money go that we saved with Senate Bill 1?”

36. - Mittuns - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:37 am:

They all float down here, Georgie…

37. - AFSCME Steward - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:39 am:

Swamp Person Bill Cunningham practicing bare-handed Alligator catchin’

38. - LincolnLounger - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:42 am:

Going the wrong direction and over his head, Sen. Cunningham sets an example for members of the Illinois General Assembly in the 2014 Polar Plunge.

39. - OneMan - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 11:51 am:

The senator was disappointed that even fully submerged he was unable to see the 2 square inches of skin Miller got wet…

40. - AFSCME Steward - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

Senator, so if someone tells you to go jump in the lake…

41. - Mittuns - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:03 pm:

In an alternate reality where state obligations were met, Sen. Cunningham wades into the shallow waters of the state’s pension “problem”

42. - r - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

This is what can happen when southsiders head North of Madison.

43. - Stones - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:23 pm:

Marco / Polo

44. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:24 pm:

Everytime Sen. Cunningham pushes his “green” button in the Senate, these images run through his mind.

45. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:32 pm:

Bill Cunningham demonstrates what it’s like to vote against the Speaker.

46. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:33 pm:

Unknownst to the crowd, Sen. Bill Cunningham was the 2014 choice to begin preparations in Chicago to turn the Chicago river green for the St. Patrick’s Day parade by taking the temperature of the Lake. Days after, Chicago announced the river will run green even if it is frozen.

47. - KGB - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:36 pm:

Sen. Cunningham is still searching high and low for answers to the budget crisis.

48. - Pete - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:41 pm:

After spotting something shiny, Bill dove in with hopes of another Saddle Ridge Hoard!

49. - Republicrat - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

Mr. Miller tells Sen. Cunningham “bite me.!” Sen Cunningham goes in search of his ankles to complete the task!

50. - Nuclear Bozo - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:51 pm:

Sen. Cunningham decides to look for an early smelt run.

51. - Sangamon GOP - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:55 pm:

As the rest of the Illinois GOP primary moved on, Dan Rutherford was left in an awkward position.

52. - MrJM - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:56 pm:

Legislator!
    “Legislator?!? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

(With apologies to Brian Doyle-Murray, Harold Ramis and Douglas Kenney.)

– MrJM

53. - Jeff Trigg - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 12:59 pm:

Does freezing Lake Michigan water stimulate the growth of hair? Ask Sen. Cunningham.

54. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 1:23 pm:

“Splish Splash”
    written by Bobby Darin, enhanced by VanillaMan

Splish, splash
    I was diving for cash
    Long about a Saturday morn… yeah!
    Rub-a-dub
    Just pretendin’ I’m a sub
    Almost as naked as the day I was born.

Well… I stepped into the lake
    And my knees began to quake
    But I made the kids a promise
    And God knows I’m not a fake.

And… then-a… squash, squish
    My nads then made a wish
    Well… how were they to know
    The Polar Plunge was on.

They were freakin’ and a shreakin’
    Reelin’ with the feelin’
    Freezing into jelly
    Tryin’ to get into my belly… yeah!

Bing, bang
    I saw the whole gang
    Pretending to be having fun… yeah…
    Slip slop
    The lifeguards a Chicago cop
    Figurin’ how to work a frozen gun.

There was Tiny Dancer with-a Jimmy Fallon
    He’s wearing a business suit and really yellin’
    A-well-a…. swim, swum
    My feet got really numb
    And I tripped, falling onto my face… yea!

I was a freakin’ and a shreakin’
    Reelin’ with the feelin’
    The icy water freezin’
    I’m finding Miller n’ teasin’… yeah!

Yes… I was a posing for some selfies
    Playin’ on ice shelfies
    Yeah… I was a movin’ and a groovin’ … woo!
    We were a reelin’ with the freezin’… ha!
    We were a rollin’ and a strollin’
    Movin’ with the groovin’
    Splish, splash… yeah!

I was a splishin’ and a splashin’… one time…
    I was a splishin’ and a splashin’… woo-woo!
    I was a movin’ and a-groovin’…

55. - Nonplussed - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 1:26 pm:

The Senator as a child. http://i.imgur.com/UFowGyM.gif

56. - Boone's is Back - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 1:26 pm:

Sen. Cunningham face-plants on fundraising efforts

57. - Jake From Elwood - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

“State Rep puts his head in the sand amidst troubled waters”

58. - RNUG - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 1:45 pm:

From “The Luckiest” written by Benjamin Scott Folds …

I don’t get many things right the first time
    In fact, I am told that a lot
    Now I know all the wrong turns
    The stumbles and falls brought me here

59. - RNUG - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

Sen. Bill Cunningham auditions for shortstop with the Chicago Cubs

60. - A guy... - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

The GPS says Chuck Goudie is here.

61. - Bonsaso - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 2:10 pm:

On Day 2 of Senator Cunnigham’s swimming lesson, he works on floating.

62. - Commonsense in Illinois - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 2:25 pm:

Damn…it looked shallower…!

63. - Commonsense in Illinois - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 2:25 pm:

From “A Christmas Story”… stuck, Stuck, STUCK!!!!

64. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 3:02 pm:

I`m going face noddel ever aisan carp in here.

65. - Robo - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 3:10 pm:

“I’m sure the list says this is your voting address.”

66. - Siriusly - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 3:21 pm:

“Look there’s a Tyler Flowers baseball card down there!”

67. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 3:25 pm:

3:02 (every)

68. - zatoichi - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

Hey, that is sand!

69. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 3:54 pm:

Wrong Way Cunningham begins what turned out to be his first epic swim across Lake Michigan. With the Lake covered nearly 100% in ice, however, this amounted to a 200 yard medley. Obviously, the freestyle leg is not his strongest stroke.

70. - 1776 - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 4:00 pm:

The first Asian carp spotted in Lake Michigan.

71. - Walker - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 5:30 pm:

“Boodling? I thought you said noodling.”

72. - constituent - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 6:38 pm:

trying to tell his a** from a hole in the ground as far as pension reform.

73. - ppanda - Wednesday, Mar 5, 14 @ 7:03 pm:

Caption: “Sen. Cunningham (1976-2014). Survived by a loving family, friends, constituents, and 5 inches of water.”

* Facebook appears to be earning its reputation as evil
* Small ball
* Community Care Program fight extends to task force membership flap
* We can't even put on a decent bicentennial celebration
* Dynegy looking for two separate subsidies for its coal-fired plants
* *** UPDATED x1 - ILGOP responds ***  New website features Speaker Madigan's softer, gentler side
* Our sorry state
* A tale of two states
* *** UPDATED x1 - Carrigan apologizes *** Heat cranks up on AFL-CIO president
* *** UPDATED x2 - Pritzker camp responds - Unappropriated spending was $2.8 billion *** This Is Illinois
* Porter to ILGOP: Madigan forked us, so don't blame Rauner
* The damage done to higher education
* Today's number: $30,363 per job
* Still no GOP opponent for Frerichs
* What goes around, comes around

* The softer side of Michael Madigan..
* The softer side of Michael Madigan - Chicago Tr.....
* Roskam has big cash lead over Democrats hoping .....
* Chicago and Illinois submit bid for Amazon's HQ.....
* Chicago officially struts its stuff for Amazon..
* AG Lisa Madigan not consulted before Emanuel fi.....
* Democratic candidates for governor discuss “LaS.....
* We can't even put on a decent bicentennial cele.....
* Mike Madigan smiles!..
* Will Rauner run; can he win in 2018? - Quad-Cit.....

* 17-year-old charged as an adult in shooting of 2-year-old

* Statehouse Insider: A poor rating, but sorta good news
* John Schmidt appointed to appellate court
* Illinois 200th birthday celebration kicks off Dec. 3 in Springfield
* Christian County GOP leader to challenge Andy Manar for state Senate seat
* AFSCME: Illinois prison-inmate assaults on officers up 51 percent
* Ameya Pawar drops out of Illinois governor's race
* Springfield, chamber cautious on economic development idea
* IDOT wants feedback on highway rest areas

* U of I's new med school taking applications
* What New York can deliver Amazon
* New York's Amazon campaign draws big names
* Sears sinks as key investor to leave board

* MORRISSEY: Risky to count out struggling Cubs, their befuddled manager
* 28-year-old man shot in West Garfield Park
* Roskam has more campaign cash on hand than all Dem rivals combined
* With all eyes on Mitch Trubisky, Bears’ defense takes a big step
* MITCHELL: The solution to ending this gun violence is in our hands
* Police warn of BB guns being shot at CTA buses on South Side
* SWEET: Trump falsely claims Obama didn’t call dead soldiers’ families
* Emanuel to end scoop-and-toss borrowing one year early
* Man dies after crashing vehicle into tornado siren in Woodridge
* Ask the Doctors: Checking for added sugar on labels can be tricky

* Aurora police hold mother of boy critically injured in retention pond crash
* Mitch Trubisky's numbers not eye-popping, but John Fox sees growth
* Emanuel may opt to raise 911, Uber taxes, setting aside council ideas
* Victim of CTA pushing identifies suspect in court as his attacker
* Man indicted on murder, rape charges in death of Muslim teen in Virginia
* Police: Dogs that attacked boy in Aurora euthanized; owner fined
* Can Cubs create a beat at Wrigley to match the Dodgers?
* 'My baby, my heart, my niece': Details emerge in fatal shooting of young mother
* Cubs offense needs early spark from others besides Addison Russell
* Trump says predecessors didn't honor fallen soldiers, eliciting heated response

» WBEZ Investigation: CPS Secretly Overhauled Special Education At Students’ Expense
» How's The Illinois Economy? For Rauner Administration, Depends On The Audience
» Online Locator Tool Aims to Make Recycling Easier
» State Week: Prison Assaults, Pawar's Exit
» Lawmakers Urged To Override Life Insurance Veto
» Ameya Pawar Ends Campaign for Governor
» Union Says Prison Inmate Assaults On Guards Up 51%
» Union Says Attacks On Prison Guards Are Up
» Illinois Issues: Land of Lincoln, New Jersey Compete For Worst Fiscal Condition
» Chicago Adds 376 Cops, 594 To Go

* New University of Illinois medical school to grant full scholarships
* 'Johnny Appleseed' trees to mark Illinois bicentennial
* Statehouse Insider: A poor rating, but sorta good news
* Our View: Time to explore a new path for economic development in Sangamon County
* Our View: It’s time to explore a new path for economic development in Sangamon County
* Andy Shaw: Critical redistricting case from Wisconsin could impact Illinois
* Guest Column: The Illinois FOIA is failing the public
* Faith Coalition for the Common Good: Principles, politics, persistence and pride
* Ed Rogers: Is tax reform happening?
* John Schmidt appointed to appellate court

* Upcoming Services
* Members from Southern Illinois serve on Girl Scouts’ 2017 National Council
* Who's in the news? Glenda Nicke of Black Hawk College
* Bettendorf needs volunteers for clean-up projects
* Man surprised at stabbing, but authorities are not charging ‘stabber’
* New budget proposal increases general fund spending slightly
* 'Johnny Appleseed' trees to mark Illinois bicentennial
* Fundraising to fight Alzheimer's disease nears $80,000 Macon County goal
* First African-American woman elected Cook County State's Attorney says SIU laid the foundation for her success
* Eastside Krekel's reopens 4 months after fire

* Dogs that attacked child in Aurora euthanized
* This week's boys soccer Top 20
* Naperville cops hunting three in armed robbery
* Boys soccer: Elgin High cleared of illegal player allegations
* Carpentersville Trustee Schultz dies at 61

* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...
* Rep. Randy Hultgren announces 2017 Congres...
* Democratic 14th Congressional District can...
* GOP congressmen say Rauner 'let down' Illi...
* Democratic candidates square off in Kendal...
* Hultgren 'disappointed' about potential re...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* Local congressmen respond to Trump Obamaca...
* Measure extends term of FSOC independent m...
* Hultgren Comments on CAT Closure, Hurrican...

* NFL to Endorse Bipartisan Criminal Justice......
* NFL will back legislation aimed at justice......

* Sen. Tammy Duckworth slams Trump cuts to O......

* The Daily Show live, and more of the best things to do in Chicago this week
* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* Boy Scouts open doors to girls
* State Central Committeeman to IL conservatives: We are fools not to back Rauner
* Letter to Editor: Good things happening in US, despite what Fake News says
* SportsMonday: Oblivion
* Illinois Review readers say Governor Rauner should exit IL GOP
* Should we respect people who want to use “Merry Christmas” as a weapon?
* EXTRA: Rauner "gettin' his kicks" down Route 66; or at least a part of it
* Illinois Attorney General sues Trump over canceling ACA subsidies

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* T-Mobile Galaxy Note 8 BOGO deal set to expire October 17
* Sprint and T-Mobile said to cling to as much spectrum before conceding to government
* Latest iOS 11.1 beta and watchOS, macOS, tvOS betas have WPA2 KRACK fix
* Facebook acquires anonymous teen compliment app tbh, will let it run
* Deals: iPad Mini 4 Sales Continue, Exclusive Discount on iPhone/iPad USB Wall Outlet, and More
* The “Now Playing” feature on Pixel 2 phones uses AmbientSense to save your battery
* Wi-Fi WPA2 standard subject to KRACKS — key reinstallation attacks

* Mid-October White Sox fall ball update
* Inbox: Has White Sox Draft strategy evolved?
* Podcast: 2017 White Sox Outfielders Review