Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » OK, we can’t pass this up
OK, we can’t pass this up

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

* Former Illinois Congressman Ken Gray wrote a letter to Caroline Kennedy and then talked to the Daily American about his relationship to Caroline’s father John F. Kennedy

“Your dad asked me to run for president after his two terms would have expired,” writes Gray.” The Constitution only allows two terms for a president and he was not fond of Lyndon Johnson and wanted me to succeed him.”

Why this revelation had never seen the light of day has more to do with Gray’s safety than it did his privacy. He says he was concerned for his own life which would have paralleled his dear friend in politics, issues and programs.

“He wanted me to be a candidate because he knew we shared the same ideology,” said Gray. […]

Gray says he was more interested in hunting down a killer than becoming president which could have been fatal. […]

He says from that time on he knew that his life was at risk should he continue in the footsteps of Kennedy.

“I feel there is still some danger, but I’m at an age now that it wouldn’t be so harmful,” said Gray who spoke with authority and total clarity throughout the interview.

“I could have been killed if they knew of the friendship,” he continued.

Um, OK.

* The accompanying photo

No, that’s not Phil Spector.

Caption?

1. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:50 pm:

“…and in the middle, Paul Lynn. Let’s play Hollywood Squares!”

2. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:51 pm:

Playing the role of Congressman Gray, Christopher Walken…

3. - Responsa - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:51 pm:

How can we comment? There is nothing that can possibly be said. :)

4. - A guy... - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:52 pm:

“No, that’s not Phil Spector.”
    With all due respect, can you offer proof.

Caption:
    You remember me; 12 noon every weekday on WGN.

5. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:52 pm:

“…I told them, 30 years ago, I need more Cowbell…”

6. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:52 pm:

This was personally disappointing; I have that same suit.

7. - Wensicia - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

Where’s his tinfoil hat?

8. - Spliff - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

I see you!

9. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

“I ordered that drink, Sweetie, and a side order of you!”

10. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:55 pm:

“If I recharge my ‘Lil Rascal’ in time, you want to join me for some shuffle board?”

11. - I B Strapped - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:56 pm:

LBJ was the south end of a northbound donkey, but even LBJ wouldn’t whack Ken Gray. (Sorry Kenny)

12. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:56 pm:

“I didn’t want to ruin our night, but my reserve unit got called up, and I leave in the morning, not knowing if I will return…”

13. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

“For those wondering what happened to ‘Larry’ from ‘Three’s Company’…”

14. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:59 pm:

“Yep. Me too. Marilyn Monroe.”

15. - OneMan - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 2:59 pm:

After Letterman announced his retirement his announcer Alan Kalter really let himself go…

16. - I B Strapped - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:01 pm:

Could that be Joe Biden’s dad?

17. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:02 pm:

- OneMan - well done, Sir!

Ralph Malph - he’s still got it!

18. - wordslinger - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:02 pm:

Who knew Kenny was still around? A quick check shows that he’s 93.

The first thing that comes to mind with Kenny is that he handed off one of his assistants, Elizabeth Ray, to Wayne Hays.

Elizabeth confessed she couldn’t “type, file or answer the phone” but Hays, to his ultimate regret, found other duties for her.

19. - Spliff - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:03 pm:

” … and then Johnnny said, he liked his friends to call him Johnny. Johnny said Kenny …. he really liked names to end in Y. He said Kenny I want you to be the president …”

20. - Just Me - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:04 pm:

You, sir, are no President Kennedy!

21. - Spliff - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:04 pm:

Why no I haven’t been drinking … does it look like I have been drinking?

22. - A guy... - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:06 pm:

“If you don’t believe me, ask Bobby and Teddy, they was in on this too”.

23. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:07 pm:

Man Survives 55 Years of Cuban Death Threats

24. - Anonymous - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:07 pm:

tour guide for rauner nursing home

25. - Anon - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:08 pm:

That’s Al Pacino who played Spector. Boolah!!

26. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:10 pm:

Kennedy Confidant Surprised By Newton Minnow Endorsement of Rauner

27. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:12 pm:

“I knew Sinatra. Hoffa. Kennedys. I knew ‘em all, Baby…”

28. - RMW Stanford - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:12 pm:

Wow a nice mixture of self promotion and craziness

29. - Oldboy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

Who plays Giancana?

30. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

This IS my hair’s natural color…”

31. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:15 pm:

“Today, we at ‘Studio 54′, ok. He woke up from his nap and wanted to see Andy Warhol…so, we’re at ‘Studio 54′…”

32. - wordslinger - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:16 pm:

Are there still some interchanges-to-nowhere down in Southern Illinois, courtesy of Kenny? He was pretty good at bringing home the bacon, if I recall.

33. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

“After all the ‘Airplane’ movies, Robert Hayes never really recovered…personally.”

34. - Stones - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:18 pm:

Somehow he doesn’t seem to fit the image of Camelot….

35. - Pat C - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:19 pm:

He was pretty good at bringing home the bacon, if I recall.

Quite above average in that regard. Really punched above his weight, so to speak.

36. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:19 pm:

“I’m here to see…’Mercedes’…she working tonight?”

37. - Pat C - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:20 pm:

“Prince of Pork” :)

38. - CircularFiringSquad - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:22 pm:

All my look alikes…Rea, Forby, Poshard,…… will be happy that I have released these thoughts

39. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:22 pm:

“I would have thought Jason Plummer would have aged better, but that’s why you don’t time travel; you face disappointment.”

40. - Anonymous - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:25 pm:

A physical specimen / exhibit of the notion “Politics”

41. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:26 pm:

“I was more hip back when we only had 47 states…”

42. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:27 pm:

“Your doctor’s office, or mine?”

43. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:29 pm:

“I happen to have a Medical Marijuana prescription in my coat pocket. How about we go fill it and see what happens?”

44. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:32 pm:

“Anyways, I was cruising down Main Street with an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time.”

45. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:33 pm:

Word, those interchanges went somewhere. To every one-horse town every 3-4 miles south of Mt. Vernon all the way to Cairo.

Caption: Keep 50 Feet Away From Flame

46. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:33 pm:

“Then Jackie said to me, ‘Kenny, I’m not moving to LA with the team. I want you to take my spot on the roster.”

47. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:35 pm:

“And then Buddy said, ‘Kenny, I gotta go get on this plane,’ and I never heard from him again.”

48. - Give Me A Break - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:38 pm:

Is this Carrot Top without makeup?

49. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:38 pm:

“Had Franky not called me before he turned it in, the Star Spangled Banner might have said ‘Oh Jose’ instead.”

50. - SIUPROF - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

As one who was represented by Kenny Gray, there is an old story:

All that Kenny’s family wanted was to farm, but every time they bought some land, in about two years, the government built an interstate right through the middle of it.

51. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:43 pm:

“Steve was talking crazy. I couldn’t help but wonder if he was just hungry. So I gave him the piece of fruit I packed for lunch, and things just changed for that little computer outfit of his.”

52. - Formerpol - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:43 pm:

Ken Gray was a revered figure in Southern Illinois, who brought home the bacon and worked both sides of the aisle well. We need his kind of Congresscritter today! At 93, I bet he is still active and sharp.

53. - wordslinger - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:45 pm:

–All that Kenny’s family wanted was to farm, but every time they bought some land, in about two years, the government built an interstate right through the middle of it–

LOL, there was a state senator back in the day who kept having the same bad luck when they extended the tollway west from Aurora.

54. - wordslinger - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:49 pm:

–Ken Gray was a revered figure in Southern Illinois, who brought home the bacon and worked both sides of the aisle well. We need his kind of Congresscritter today!–

Here, you praise the career and integrity of Ken Gray, but on another thread, you say Quinn should resign right now?

You’re handling the cognitive dissonance quite well.

55. - Capitol Meme - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 3:53 pm:

= We need his kind of Congresscritter today! At 93, I bet he is still active and sharp. =

56. - Secret Square - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 4:20 pm:

There’s a movie titled “Bubba Ho-Tep” with Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis as old guys in a Texas nursing home who insist that they are, respectively, the real Elvis (who switched identities with an Elvis impersonator) and the real JFK (whose skin was dyed to hide his identity). Has Gray been hanging out with them lately?

57. - wordslinger - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 4:25 pm:

–At 93, I bet he is still active and sharp.–

Apparently active.

You still want to go with that “sharp” stuff after reading about how JFK wanted him to succeed him, how he was hunting down the real killers and how his life was in danger because of their friendship?

58. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 4:32 pm:

“Hugh Hefner still rocks the ‘Bunny Ears’ in this undated photo.”

59. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 4:35 pm:

“my ringtone is Red-Headed Stranger!”

60. - democrat Grrrl - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 4:48 pm:

Oh, dear.

61. - Jake From Elwood - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 4:52 pm:

Anything I might say would just be piling on. The man is 93 for God’s sake, so let him have his little stories and his leisure suits.

62. - wordslinger - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 4:56 pm:

Now that I think about it, Kenny was legendary for some pretty swinging parties at his houseboat on the Potomac, back before that sort of thing made the news.

63. - Walker - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 5:15 pm:

“I did it my way.”

64. - SO IL M - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 5:22 pm:

“I never did find out who that Smart@&& SOB was, and what ever happened to that Randy Whats-his-name anyway.”

That’s kind of an obscure old joke

65. - Johnnie F. - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 5:33 pm:

And I said…I don’t care where the
    donation comes from…just transplant it right to my scalp. Yeah baby!! Shag-o-delic!!

66. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 6:02 pm:

Is that Michael J. Madigan before his magic apple that morning?

67. - x ace - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 6:37 pm:

Caption : ” I Started That Legend Stuff Myself”

Gray’s own words upon our referring to him as the legendary Congressman Kenny Gray just a few year ago down at the DuQoin fair. A true character.

68. - 4 percent - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 6:40 pm:

And since I didn’t run for President, I decided to create the Illinois Policy Institute.

69. - Fearless Freep - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 8:23 pm:

Ken Gray is an example of a fine public servant who should be respected for his experience and wisdom. Obviously, some of the commenters here don’t know Mr. Gray or else they wouldn’t treat him with such mockery & foolish comments. Ken Gray was serving his second career in Congress (and retired) probably before many of you were even born! You don’t know what a real statesman is.

70. - Capitol View - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 9:38 pm:

what is there about Illinois politics that produces self grandizement and false narrativies?

71. - Anonymous - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 9:44 pm:

Richard Simmons Sweatin’ to the Oldies

72. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, May 6, 14 @ 9:45 pm:

- Fearless Freep -,

It’s just a caption. Its just Humor.

No personal harm intended.

73. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, May 7, 14 @ 7:40 am:

Betty White’s younger boyfriend.

74. - Bill - Wednesday, May 7, 14 @ 8:09 am:

Chick magnet, mmmhhhmmm.

75. - Upon Further Review - Wednesday, May 7, 14 @ 8:18 am:

The letter sounds as delusional as the final weeks of Dan Rutherford’s gubernatorial campaign.

76. - Northern Light - Thursday, May 8, 14 @ 1:34 am:

Kenny Gray was truly a character and very good for Southern Illinois. It was hard to take him seriously though, as colorful as he was - a carnival barker at heart. I will never forget the time he told me, while flirting with me of course, that he could see lightening and electricity bolts from my braces on my teeth! He was TOO MUCH! Hard to believe this tall tale though.

* Facebook appears to be earning its reputation as evil
* Small ball
* Community Care Program fight extends to task force membership flap
* We can't even put on a decent bicentennial celebration
* Dynegy looking for two separate subsidies for its coal-fired plants
* *** UPDATED x1 - ILGOP responds ***  New website features Speaker Madigan's softer, gentler side
* Our sorry state
* A tale of two states
* *** UPDATED x1 - Carrigan apologizes *** Heat cranks up on AFL-CIO president
* *** UPDATED x2 - Pritzker camp responds - Unappropriated spending was $2.8 billion *** This Is Illinois
* Porter to ILGOP: Madigan forked us, so don't blame Rauner
* The damage done to higher education
* Today's number: $30,363 per job
* Still no GOP opponent for Frerichs
* What goes around, comes around

* EDITORIAL: Stand up and shout for decent health.....
* BROWN: State budget impasse over, but not socia.....
* GOP congressmen say Rauner ‘let down’ Illinois .....
* WBEZ Investigation: CPS Secretly Overhauled Spe.....
* The softer side of Michael Madigan..
* The softer side of Michael Madigan - Chicago Tr.....
* Roskam has big cash lead over Democrats hoping .....
* Chicago and Illinois submit bid for Amazon's HQ.....
* Chicago officially struts its stuff for Amazon..
* AG Lisa Madigan not consulted before Emanuel fi.....

* Not having to get door 1 plus of new status, Kagan says

* Statehouse Insider: A poor rating, but sorta good news
* John Schmidt appointed to appellate court
* Illinois 200th birthday celebration kicks off Dec. 3 in Springfield
* Christian County GOP leader to challenge Andy Manar for state Senate seat
* AFSCME: Illinois prison-inmate assaults on officers up 51 percent
* Ameya Pawar drops out of Illinois governor's race
* Springfield, chamber cautious on economic development idea
* IDOT wants feedback on highway rest areas

* U of I's new med school taking applications
* What New York can deliver Amazon
* New York's Amazon campaign draws big names
* Sears sinks as key investor to leave board

* Aaron Rodgers has surgery, rest of season in doubt
* EDITORIAL: Stand up and shout for decent health care in Illinois
* ‘End the Cubs’? That could take more than a single NLCS elimination
* BROWN: State budget impasse over, but not social service agency pain
* MORRISSEY: Risky to count out struggling Cubs, their befuddled manager
* 28-year-old man shot in West Garfield Park
* Roskam has more campaign cash on hand than all Dem rivals combined
* With all eyes on Mitch Trubisky, Bears’ defense takes a big step
* MITCHELL: The solution to ending this gun violence is in our hands
* Police warn of BB guns being shot at CTA buses on South Side

* Trump says predecessors didn't honor fallen soldiers, eliciting heated response
* Police probe possible link between Orchard Road fatal crash, Aurora shootings
* The Trump administration has no plan for dealing with a North Korean electromagnetic pulse weapons attack
* Pat Schultz 1956-2017: Carpentersville mourning death of trustee
* Emanuel may opt to raise 911, Uber taxes, setting aside council ideas
* Trump declines to express confidence in drug czar nominee who helped weaken DEA
* Cubs' cold bats 'extraneous factor' for Game 3 starter Kyle Hendricks
* East Chicago pipe bomb suspect from Munster set to appear in federal court Tuesday
* Aurora police hold mother of boy critically injured in retention pond crash
* Mitch Trubisky's numbers not eye-popping, but John Fox sees growth

» WBEZ Investigation: CPS Secretly Overhauled Special Education At Students’ Expense
» How's The Illinois Economy? For Rauner Administration, Depends On The Audience
» Online Locator Tool Aims to Make Recycling Easier
» State Week: Prison Assaults, Pawar's Exit
» Lawmakers Urged To Override Life Insurance Veto
» Ameya Pawar Ends Campaign for Governor
» Union Says Prison Inmate Assaults On Guards Up 51%
» Union Says Attacks On Prison Guards Are Up
» Illinois Issues: Land of Lincoln, New Jersey Compete For Worst Fiscal Condition
» Chicago Adds 376 Cops, 594 To Go

* New University of Illinois medical school to grant full scholarships
* 'Johnny Appleseed' trees to mark Illinois bicentennial
* Statehouse Insider: A poor rating, but sorta good news
* Our View: Time to explore a new path for economic development in Sangamon County
* Our View: It’s time to explore a new path for economic development in Sangamon County
* Andy Shaw: Critical redistricting case from Wisconsin could impact Illinois
* Guest Column: The Illinois FOIA is failing the public
* Faith Coalition for the Common Good: Principles, politics, persistence and pride
* Ed Rogers: Is tax reform happening?
* John Schmidt appointed to appellate court

* The Herald & Review wants to see your pumpkin artwork
* Upcoming Services
* Members from Southern Illinois serve on Girl Scouts’ 2017 National Council
* Who's in the news? Glenda Nicke of Black Hawk College
* Bettendorf needs volunteers for clean-up projects
* Man surprised at stabbing, but authorities are not charging ‘stabber’
* New budget proposal increases general fund spending slightly
* 'Johnny Appleseed' trees to mark Illinois bicentennial
* Fundraising to fight Alzheimer's disease nears $80,000 Macon County goal
* First African-American woman elected Cook County State's Attorney says SIU laid the foundation for her success

* Holiday relishing chance to be Chicago Bulls' go-to scorer
* Hendricks keeping cool heading into Game 3 start vs. Darvish, Dodgers
* Amos hard work paying off for Chicago Bears
* 10-year teacher deal looms over District 15 support staff strike
* GPS tracker remains on St. Charles battery suspect, for now

* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...
* Rep. Randy Hultgren announces 2017 Congres...
* Democratic 14th Congressional District can...
* GOP congressmen say Rauner 'let down' Illi...
* Democratic candidates square off in Kendal...
* Hultgren 'disappointed' about potential re...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* Local congressmen respond to Trump Obamaca...
* Measure extends term of FSOC independent m...
* Hultgren Comments on CAT Closure, Hurrican...

* NFL to Endorse Bipartisan Criminal Justice......
* NFL will back legislation aimed at justice......

* Sen. Tammy Duckworth slams Trump cuts to O......

* "Carrie 2: The Rage" Now On Stage At The Arkham Theater
* The Daily Show live, and more of the best things to do in Chicago this week
* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* Boy Scouts open doors to girls
* State Central Committeeman to IL conservatives: We are fools not to back Rauner
* Letter to Editor: Good things happening in US, despite what Fake News says
* SportsMonday: Oblivion
* Illinois Review readers say Governor Rauner should exit IL GOP
* Should we respect people who want to use “Merry Christmas” as a weapon?
* EXTRA: Rauner "gettin' his kicks" down Route 66; or at least a part of it

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Alphabet X lab retains Project Loon, despite incorporation
* In global market share fight, Huawei Mate 10 may send Apple into third place
* T-Mobile Galaxy Note 8 BOGO deal set to expire October 17
* Sprint and T-Mobile said to cling to as much spectrum before conceding to government
* Latest iOS 11.1 beta and watchOS, macOS, tvOS betas have WPA2 KRACK fix
* Facebook acquires anonymous teen compliment app tbh, will let it run
* Deals: iPad Mini 4 Sales Continue, Exclusive Discount on iPhone/iPad USB Wall Outlet, and More

* Mid-October White Sox fall ball update
* Inbox: Has White Sox Draft strategy evolved?
* Podcast: 2017 White Sox Outfielders Review