Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Unclear on the concept
Unclear on the concept

Wednesday, Aug 6, 2014

* GOP Lt. Governor nominee Evelyn Sanguinetti

“I’m very thankful for Bruce, that he thought outside the box and he didn’t pick a political Springfield insider. He picked a full-time PTA mom and working mom that served on the Wheaton City Council. So I come to the table with having executive experience.”

Um, OK?

From the DGA…

You recently said that your service in a legislative body, the Wheaton City Council, gave you executive experience. What did you mean by this first-ever interpretation of the separation of powers?

Heh.

* The DGA also had some other questions for Rauner’s running mate…

With billionaire Republican Bruce Rauner on the lam in Montana, here are five important questions for Eveyln Sanguinetti, the magical co-governor candidate who has vowed to rule in his stead.

1. You said you would make decisions for your ticket when Bruce Rauner isn’t around. What decisions have you made in his absence? Will you finally take questions from the media?

2. Have you abandoned your quest to criminalize abortion and why won’t you discuss this on the stump?

3. You make much of your immigrant roots. Do you believe the so-called “border kids” should be deported back to their homes in Mexico and Central America? Do you support other Illinois House Republicans who voted recently to hasten the deportation of these children?

4. Why won’t you release your full tax information as Paul Vallas has done?

1. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:10 pm:

“But…but…I do magic…and (Slip and Sue falls, looks around to see to make sure people saw) Ow! I fell… who asked me the questions that distracted me from walking! I’ll sue you, I’ve sued for less, DGA!”

2. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:12 pm:

Dear Evelyn Sanguinetti:

I’m offering you some unsolicited advice. Shut up. Don’t speak anymore. Stay in the background, smile and wave to the crowds.

Sincrely,

Demoralized

3. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:17 pm:

Perhaps she meant “executive experience” in the sense of “leadership experience”?

It is common to reference lead decision makers in any political, military, business or social entity as an executive, even seen in commercials for things such as an “executive MBA program”.

If this was a casual mis-statement off the top of her head, I am not worried. But if she thinks that serving on the City Council is the same thing as leading a state, I am very worried.

4. - Gooner - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:18 pm:

We have Rauner who thinks he can just make his decisions through referendums, and Slip and Sue who thinks board membership is an executive role.

5. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:23 pm:

Evelyn “Slip and Sue” Sanguinetti is Jason Plummer with a piano playing degree she fails to mention, but a law degree she used to ignore corruption see saw, but failed to report…and a personal injury lawsuit…

That is who she is.

A first term councilman not equipped to run the 5th largest state in America. Period

I hammered and shook Plummer, “Slip and Sue” isn’t more qualified than Plummer…

6. - A guy... - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:24 pm:

I guess the CF kids needed to have some candy tossed to them today. Have at it, despite it’s utter foolishness and pettiness. The DGA…oh nevermind. Have a little fun and accomplish zip.

7. - too obvious - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:24 pm:

Wow just wow.

Look for Sanguinetti to start a 3 month vacation at one of the western ranches.

8. - JS Mill - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:25 pm:

I could have been a Rauner fan. pretty easily actually since Quinn has been such a bumbler. But, I am tired of the same old lines about not being an insider. He has strong ties to the Chicago machine and business community. he partially bankrolled the last GOP gubernatorial candidate. He is also mega wealthy. A total insider. Not saying it is wrong, it is what it is. Focus on the real issues, it seems there is not enough “there” there to do that.

9. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:27 pm:

I do not know Sanguinetti personally, but I am trying to imagine how people would respond if a Republican said some of the things being directed at Sanguinetti to a female minority Democratic candidate for Lieutenant Governor.

To ask a question of people who may have more experience dealing with her: Is the dismissive attitude towards her by some in both parties because she is simply not very impressive? Or is there an element of race and gender that comes into play?

I know many people, myself included, give Sheila Simon a hard time in comments here. That is because she has consistently failed to impress and then completely threw Pat Quinn under the bus when he appeared to be at his weakest moment. She “earned” that derision. But Sanguinetti?

I don’t know enough about her to know what to make of her yet.

10. - Mister M - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:33 pm:

Apparently some have forgotten Sheila Simon and should question what qualifications she had and what contributions she has made. Face it, nobody pays attention to the Lt. Gov.

11. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:33 pm:

===Is the dismissive attitude towards her by some in both parties because she is simply not very impressive? Or is there an element of race and gender that comes into play?===

Answer me this;

What is the difference in experience between Jason Plummer and “Slip and Sue”?

Two years on the Wheaton City Council?

The…PTA?

See where I’m going here…

“Slip and Sue” wants the voters to believe she is up for the job, making decisions, a “Co-Governor” who does magic…

She says those things, we aren’t making this stuff up…

How embarrassingly pathetic that “Slip and Sue” is touted…less…than Diana Rauner. Speaks volumes…

Leave the race and gender card in your pocket. That ain’t it.

12. - CircularFiringSquad - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

Mr/Ms FKA
    The problem is we already know what there is to know about Slip ‘n Sue — nothing, zip zero nada. Flip Rauner shows everyday that his BizWiz know how prepared him poorly to make a case for governing….a dose of PATCO for teachers cops and firefighters as Prosecutor’s Exhibit #1 for today.
    Stick to parade route`

13. - Gooner - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

Mister M,

I know many Democrats who openly sneered at the idea of Sheila Simon as gov. I sure as heck did.

If Quinn was up against anybody but an extremist like Brady, his choice of Simon might have made a difference. And of course Brady’s choice was miserable too.

Is it more of an indication that Rauner is OK with the far right on social issues and it is more of an indication that Rauner lacks an understanding of the job. It is all part of the package for Rauner.

14. - JS Mill - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:41 pm:

=I don’t know enough about her to know what to make of her yet.=

I think that, and her own words, may be the problem.

15. - Chris - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:47 pm:

“here are five important questions for Eveyln Sanguinetti”

1, 2, 3, 4. Where’s the Fifth question? It’s important, so I need to know.

Oh, ignore the numbering and count the questions, you say? OK: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?. That’s six–which one of them is the NOT important one?

When mocking someone else, it is helpful to avoid mockable errors.

16. - Western Ave. Doug - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:50 pm:

Rich,
    The quote that the DGA is using ends with a … not a period. I am not an English or journalism major, but that usually implies that it was edited. Would like to see the full quote.

Here is what the article says:
    “So I come to the table with having executive experience …”

17. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:53 pm:

18. - haverford - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:55 pm:

OW - in fairness, she brings at least a few more years of actual life experience - as in, years of being alive - than Plummer.

Not sure it’s a benefit since she seems equally dippy - but it’s something to add to the stump. Or on a nice barn sign:

“Sanguinetti - older than the last one.”

19. - steve schnorf - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:55 pm:

“on the lam”? That’s grown up!

20. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

Send her to Montana - now.
    Not the Caymans - Montana.

She is in over her head so far, she think the schools of fish are flocks of birds.

21. - Western Ave. Doug - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:11 pm:

Since this blog entry is called “Unclear on the Concept”, perhaps all of the mockers and haters of Rauner can add some clarity to an edited quote.

“So I come to the table with having executive experience …”

The quote in the article is edited. While this may make for some great catnip for the likes of Oswego Willy to roll around in, it may not be a stand alone quote for context purposes. Would love for Suburban Life to play an audio of the interview.

22. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:17 pm:

- Western Ave. Doug -,

It’s the Press’ fault?

How about you list all “Slip and Sue’s” virtues to be ready to become Governor of Illinois, the 5th largest state in America…

Don’t forget the “Co-Governor” argument.

23. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:21 pm:

===The quote in the article is edited.===

Not necessarily. I highly doubt that suburban paper would intentionally make her look bad. Often times, reporters insert ellipses to edit out language tics, like “uh” etc.

24. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

OW, CFS, JS Mill - it sounds as though people just aren’t very impressed with her so far. It also sounds like she may actually be comparable to Sheila Simon in terms of experience and background.

Many people seem to hold a very harsh opinion of Sanguinetti. I was not trying to say that this is because of race or gender or even partisanship, but rather trying to figure out what exactly it is about. As long as she has been given a fair chance to make an impression and is being judged on her own merits or shortcomings, fine with me.

I recall thinking that Sheila Simon could turn out to be a lite guv who surprises everyone. I also recall quickly souring on that thought just a few months into her term, but only after learning more about her and seeing her in action myself. I do not have that knowledge about Sanguinetti, so it is worth asking a community of others who may.

25. - Chris - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

“Chris, all five questions are posted. The one about executive experience is the last one.”

Ah, thanks, Rich. And I grok why you didn’t include the ‘5′ with the first question, but without a link, couldn’t know that.

26. - lovecraft - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:25 pm:

She’s Brucie’s Sara Palin.

27. - Chris - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:25 pm:

V.man: “Send her to Montana - now.
    Not the Caymans - Montana.”

Bruce doesn’t want the slip’n'fall liability of her staying on his property. Got a suggestion for a nice lodge?

28. - LincolnLounger - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:26 pm:

@Gooner: It is simply amazing that the GOP managed to nominate two people who share an amazing lack of knowledge as the basics of government structure and function.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but Patrick Quinn’s career immersion in government doesn’t seem to be doing us much good either.

29. - Western Ave. Doug - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

==It’s the Press’ fault?==

No it is not. It is the political spin and bs that passes for political discourse. The DGA is dealing with a Quinn campaign bankrupt of ideas, so they want to paint Evelyn as some right wing nut job cut from the same cloth as Palin and Michelle Bachmann. Classic DGA playbook.

I am so tired of this kind of stuff.

I am not sure anyone is qualified to be LG or Gov, but what I do know is that a lot of passes for political knowledge is just gossip and spin. You seem to be pretty good on your Evelyn talking points Willy.

30. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:30 pm:

- FKA -, it’s more than fine…

If a commenter makes the case based on race or sex, they get hammered pretty good by everyone here, no matter where they stand on the person.

I can’t see her and not have the views I have, given her quotes and background, married to the criteria of the job of being ready to take over as the Executive of Illinois government… and using all that with the Plummer experience and the Plummer resume, I can’t say she is even better than Plummer except for a law degree.

Much respect with a thoughtful comment to explain your questioning.

31. - Amalia - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:34 pm:

DGA, thank you for asking question #2. keep on it! freedom of reproductive choices, which is our legal right, does not include criminalizing abortion. shame on her.

32. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:37 pm:

===I am not sure anyone is qualified to be LG or Gov===

Really? We had a primary on the GOP side all about who was qualified to be governor, made all the papers and everything.

===…but what I do know is that a lot of passes for political knowledge is just gossip and spin.===

Hmmm. “Slip and Sue” said the “Co-Governor ” stuff. That ain’t spin. “Slip and Sue”, well, she sued Wheaton and everybody and their brother in a personal injury case. “Slip and Sue” says she saw corruption while working for AG Ryan, but not once did she report it. “Slip and Sue” has a degree in Piano. No one made that up. She does. “Slip and Sue” is a first term councilman, no re-election, inher first term, check it out if you like…

Seems pretty factual.

===You seem to be pretty good on your Evelyn talking points Willy.===

Ah, you should have been here during Plummer…

33. - Slapshot - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:38 pm:

I like Rauner. But, I question his judgement in selecting Evelyn Sanguinetti as his running mate for Lt. Gov. I mean seriously, is she ready to lead the 5th largest state in the USA ? She is MAYBE a half-step up from Jason Plummer fer cryin’ out loud !I am concerned about the possibility of Evelyn being only a heartbeat away from the Governors chair - so much so in fact that I am taking another hard look a supporting Quinn.

34. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:38 pm:

when is the girls debate?

35. - DateNight - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:38 pm:

Eveyln Sanguinetti seems like a nice gal but appears over her head. Don’t worry fellow daters, Billionair Bruce Rauner V purchased a Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber and now plans to live for ever like Michael Jackson before “The King of Pop” got his hands on bad drugs.

36. - Western Ave. Doug - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:41 pm:

You don’t even know the lady, and because of your Rauner hatred, you do not want to. I respect your posts and political insights, but what you write as factual is just spin.

37. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:45 pm:

===Nice spin Willy. The “Slip and Sue” is the prism for understanding Evelyn Sanguinetti. Right, exactly right.===

If the personal injury lawsuit fits…

38. - A guy... - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

=== Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:45 pm:

If the personal injury lawsuit fits…===

Yeah, except it doesn’t. But is does meet your very meaningful standards. Ugh.

39. - DuPage - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

Evelyn Sanguinetti, Jeanne Ives, 2 peas from the same pod.

40. - Western Ave. Doug - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

==If the personal injury lawsuit fits…==

How is this for spin Willy:

“After suffering a near fatal accident on a negligently maintained sidewalk, Evelyn Sanguinetti took action. She brought suit not for money, but to bring attention to an issue. Then, she ran for office seeking to make the City’s infrastructure safer. She brought her law suit before the voters, walking door to door despite having MS, and she one that election as a first time candidate.
    Evelyn Sanguinetti, slipping and suing for you”

41. - Norseman - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 3:06 pm:

I won three bowling trophies when I was a kid so I’m perfectly qualified to manage the Cubs.

42. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 3:12 pm:

===“After suffering a near fatal accident on a negligently maintained sidewalk, Evelyn Sanguinetti took action.===

She work with the railway? Nope. She sued. See, I thought tort reform was what Bruce Rauner wanted. So, instead “Slip and Sue”… sued. If it wasn’t near fatal, she wouldn’t has… sued?

===She brought suit not for money, but to bring attention to an issue.===

But she did sue…for money. Did she win sea shells? So, making public entities payout on a PI lawsuit is proving a point? Isn’t proving a point to make sure money is spent to correct things, not take even more money? I think that is what tort reform is trying to stop, the monetary payments of “proving a point”

===Then, she ran for office seeking to make the City’s infrastructure safer.===

Two years ago. So “Slip and Sue” is voting on sidewalks and stop signs, and in two years, is prepared to handle a $35 Billion dollar budget, if need be? Goodness gracious!

===She brought her law suit before the voters, walking door to door despite having MS, and she one that election as a first time candidate.===

That’s Wheaton. One town. I didn’t get to vote for her in an election that decides if she serves, neither did nearly 12 million in Illinois. Being vetted for stop signs or sidewalks is far different than being the Executive in Waiting, with possible agency heads to lead, $35 Billion dollar budgets to craft, working with the General Assembly, and personally being 1/3 of Illinois Government.

“Slip and Sue” is not qualified to be in waiting to be Governor.

We only need to see LG Quinn taking the Oath from Justice Burke to remind us all, LGs can become Governors.

43. - WhoKnew - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 3:21 pm:

I think she will make a fine Queen.

It must be good to be Queen!!

44. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 3:26 pm:

Choosing an unqualified running mate, worse still, someone you didn’t even vet before selecting her calls into question Rauner’s judgement and ability to govern. Let her keep talking. It will keep Rauner’s camp busy defending her, like many have here.

45. - Louis G. Atsaves - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 3:26 pm:

Oh. Good. Grief!

Yesterday, Democrats were trying to make an issue of a shortage of females working for Rauner in his business. That cheap shot fell apart in a real hurry when it was disclosed Rauner hired a higher percentage of females than the average in his same industry. So much for political spin.

The party that forcefully claims to respect women is now slamming a Republican female candidate with yet a new series of degrading questions. Fair enough. It is political season. She is involved in a hot political race.

Whether the quote about “executive experience” is twisted or contorted isn’t much of an issue to me.

The only person with executive experience as Governor running for that position is Patrick Quinn. If the voters are happy with his experience being Governor, they can reelect him, or if unhappy, fire him.

Neither person running for Lt. Governor has any executive experience for that position. Neither did Pat Quinn when he ran for that position. This state thinks so little of that position that voters now have no direct ability to elect that candidate, not even in a primary.

The choice of Sheila Simon vs. the choice of Sanguinetti. Stunningly similar? To a casual view, yes. One plays banjo. The other piano. One “slipped and fell.” Then, not being a billionaire or a millionaire, donated the proceeds of that slip and fall back instead of putting it in her own pocket. How dastardly! How greedy! How money grubbing! The other lost a mayoral race she should have won before being picked as a Lt. Governor running mate.

One came from a political family and had a famous father who represented Illinois well in various positions, including U.S. Senator. Absent the name of her famous father, her political career would have been a nonstarter.

The other was born in poverty to two teenaged non-English speaking immigrants who had no education, no political connections, and who somehow beat the odds to get a college degree, law degree and become successful. Coming from nothing and becoming something. I have several branches of my large extended Greek-American family that can relate to that type of background.

I’ll take her character and accomplishments over Simon’s any day.

Sheesh!

46. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 3:43 pm:

- Louis G. Atsaves -,

While your argument is compelling, and very thoughtful.

In 2014, it’s Vallas running this time with Quinn, not Sheila.

Just….sayin’

47. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 3:51 pm:

It’s all fair game. The louie is a silly office, except when it’s not. Like when the louie has to become governor. Like the previous one did.

I suspect that abortion question will keep her on the Jason Plummer Trail til November.

48. - Skeptic - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 4:12 pm:

“slamming a Republican female candidate with yet a new series of degrading questions” You make the sexist argument, yet none of those questions are remotely sexist. She’s not getting slammed because she’s a woman, she’s getting slammed for all the reasons that OW has already eloquently articulated.

49. - walker - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 4:21 pm:

No one can seriously argue she’s qualified to be governor, based on her government or executive experience. One could claim that qualification for her opponent.

Not a big deal, IMO. We’ve had worse with these Lt Gov selections in Illinois.

I am not sure Rauner thought this through, or perhaps he just didn’t trust enough Illinois-based “insiders” to get better advice. Just think if he’d managed to get Jill Tracy, instead of her going with Dillard. Undeniably stronger ticket.

Sanguinetti’s only mistake was to publicly state that she was ready to jump right in. Better for her to stick with “I will support Governor Rauner in any way I can.” Her recent statements, like on women at GTCR, have been cleanly scripted and good.

50. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 4:23 pm:

===Her recent statements, like on women at GTCR, have been cleanly scripted and good. ===

Yeah, because she didn’t say that “live and in person.”

51. - Just Observing - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 4:33 pm:

Perhaps she meant executive experience in being a mom? As in… when her children wanted a cookie before dinner, she made an executive decision and said no.

52. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 4:36 pm:

===Yeah, because she didn’t say that “live and in person.”===

It’s been addressed here; put her on the Plummer Trail, speak through the Press Releases, speak publicly only via scripted podium talk, and stay out of the way of Bruce.

What frustrates me is this idea, after Plummer, that no matter the difficulty of securing a running mate, that had to be done so much better than it was done, given the way candidates got to choose their #2s.

=== Just think if he’d managed to get Jill Tracy, instead of her…Undeniably stronger ticket.===

I was mocked when Tracy announced her support of Rauner, but I took that as an opportunity, and in brief, I commented that the Rauner Crew should pair Evelyn and Jil for a whole week, a “governenment boot camp” with shared experiences this Primary as a starting point, and those two literally work Evelyn through her paces, with Tracy even preparing Evelyn for the debate she will have with Vallas.

But what I get us the bull-headed, “Evelyn is the best! Way to go, Ev!”, but the reality is that she is grossly unqualified to be the governor of the 5th largest state. Her quotes, mesmerisms, thoughts on the job clearly make that so.

53. - walker - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 4:42 pm:

Nuts, Rich. I thought her comments were in person. Just when I was thinking a little better of her.

Still, she needs to stick with the script, because their script writers are very good.

As to the “mom” references, and the “slip and sue” stuff, I find them unfair and beneath serious commentary — but to each his own.

54. - Cheswick - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 4:50 pm:

Anyone know under what circumstances, if any, a lieutenant governor candidate can be replaced with someone else at this point in the process? Can she quit, be fired?

55. - Lt. Guv - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 6:00 pm:

“I am not a witch. . .”

56. - How Ironic - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 6:20 pm:

@ Cheswick…remember Scott Lee Cohan?

57. - Amalia - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 7:07 pm:

@Louise Atsaves
    “Neither person running for Lt. Governor has any executive experience for that position. Neither did Pat Quinn when he ran for that position. ”

uh, Pat Quinn was the Treasurer once upon a time. I’d say that’s pretty good experience.

58. - Norseman - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 7:38 pm:

Louise Atsaves, you’re right neither Lt. Gov. candidate has experience as Lt. Gov. However, Slip and Sue Evie executive experience is nonexistent while Vallas has run large school districts, headed up the General Assembly’s Economic and Fiscal Commission and staffed the Senate Revenue Committee. Too bad Vallas isn’t the nominee for Governor.

59. - Cheswick - Wednesday, Aug 6, 14 @ 11:36 pm:

@ How Ironic: Yes, I remember. But that was before a candidate for governor had to pick a lieutenant.

60. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 7, 14 @ 10:24 am:

==Too bad Vallas isn’t the nominee for Governor.===

You’d be eating those words in a hurry bunky.

* Reader comments closed for Thanksgiving
* Campaign miscellaneous
* Rauner's appointees kept Illinois in Crosscheck
* Illinois Policy Institute's lobbying arm got $2.5 million last year from group that bankrolled Merrick Garland fight
* There's more to Springfield than horseshoes
* Pritzker unveils opioid plan
* *** UPDATED x1 - Mendoza responds *** Rauner admin: "There can be no assurance that a budget will be enacted in future fiscal years"
* New Proft TV ad claims Durkin and Madigan "like Illinois state government just as it is"
* Rauner: "Illinois is at the edge of disaster"
* Shimkus won't endorse in gubernatorial primary
* Pritzker is taking a page from Rauner's 2014 campaign (in a good way)
* Biss wants more tax return details
* *** UPDATED x5 - Pritzker, ILGOP, Pritzker, Rauner, ILGOP respond *** Pritzker clarifies tax stance after Crain's interview
* Sen. Murphy endorses Silverstein challenger
* State GOP again demands that Durbin and Duckworth give away their Franken money

* WILL: In Illinois, a looming battle over the ba.....
* JB Pritzker: Experience solving problems and th.....
* Illinois GOP continues wait for Pritzker's tax .....

* Judge orders woman back to prison for daughter's death
* Illinois fire marshal offers safety tips for Thanksgiving
* Man charged in theft of guns from Chicago train yard
* Man wrongfully convicted seeks certificate of innocence
* Chicago airports expect nearly 2 million holiday travelers
* 4 children, 2 adults killed in rural northern Illinois fire
* The Latest: Victims of rural Illinois fire identified
* French company wins world rights to Purdue-affiliated apple
* Chicago renews legal fund for immigrants facing deportation
* Family of man slain in traffic stop sues Rockford

* House task force to review sexual harassment
* Electric cars, better fuel efficiency spell doom for Illinois gas tax
* Springfield wants out of legislation limiting payments for 5G antennas
* Fact check: Are Gov. Rauner's grandparents immigrants?
* Londrigan accused of attacking Davis for 'opposite' of remarks
* Gov. Rauner signs sex harassment legislation
* Under the Dome Podcast: Governor's race, sexual harassment, Rodney Davis
* Macoupin Co. highway renamed in honor of soldier who died in Vietnam
* Schoenburg: Rep. Davis leads new caucus, pleased with White House access
* Fact check: Speaker Madigan says ethics commission was functioning

* Uber concealed cyberattack that exposed 57 million people's data
* How Cook County finally got a new budget
* Would you pay $20 for a nap?
* The best events to kick off the holidays
* House tax bill is littered with loopholes for Wall Street's wealthiest

* Police warn of violent robberies near Grant Park
* More acceptance/use of social media afield: Illinois deer hunting
* ‘The Man Who Invented Christmas’ brings welcome holiday cheer
* Police: Woman found shot to death in West Pullman
* Police search for elderly woman with dementia missing from Blue Island
* Columbia College Chicago students robbed at skate park in South Loop
* Former Gage Park charter school teacher charged with sexual abuse
* Woman carjacked, robbed at gunpoint in Bucktown
* Man shot in East Side
* Boy, 16, charged after stolen gun found in SUV in Aurora

* U.S. Navy plane with 11 people aboard crashes into Pacific Ocean; 8 found alive
* Columbia College students robbed in fifth Grant Park incident in two weeks
* 1 killed, 3 wounded in city shootings
* UN court convicts Gen. Ratko Mladic of genocide over Bosnia's horrors
* Stay-at-home mom resents babysitting requests
* Chicago cop faces discipline for insensitive, threatening posts on Facebook
* Morning Spin: Emanuel calls New York vs. Chicago transit 'a tale of two cities'
* Row house on Chicago’s north side: $850,000
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 11/22/17
* Juveniles arrested in connection with 20-day carjacking spree

» Third-Party Candidates Want Rules Eased To Get On Ballot
» Third Party Candidates Want Rules Eased To Get On Ballot
» How Chicago’s New Budget Could Affect You In 2018 — And Beyond
» How A Chicago Cop Sentenced To Prison Could Affect The Jason Van Dyke Trial
» Illinois Lawmaker's Plan To Combat Opioid Abuse With Cannabis
» Black Lives Matter Takes On Hunger With New Food Box
» State Week: Are Voters Thinking About 2018?
» WATCH-LISTEN: State Budget Forum - Edwardsville
» Legislative Checklist: Veto Session
» How 3 Women Want To Make Illinois’ Political Future Female

* Byron York: Six scenarios for GOP disaster in Roy Moore Senate race
* E.J. Dionne: A fight more pressing than Democratic squabbling
* Our View: Don’t forget to ‘shop small’ this holiday season
* Catherine Rampell: The GOP readies itself to welcome Roy Moore
* Thanksgiving Beef: Your guide to a safe carving of political conversation in 2017
* Marc A. Thiessen: Trump should make sure Roy Moore drops out
* House task force to review sexual harassment
* Rex Huppke: Moment of reckoning for swinish behavior is here
* George Will: In Illinois, a looming battle over the bankrupting 'blue model'
* Bernard Schoenburg: Ives says Rauner joined 'ruling class' he was to fight

* Deere reports 4Q earnings of $510 million
* Childress named U.S. attorney
* Stuff the Bus drive set for next week
* Area Calendar 11/22/17
* Setting it right 11/22/17
* Rick's Six: Chilly start, crash closes I-80, stolen vehicles, and road work
* I-80 closed at Annawan, Illinois
* When exercise benefits go beyond fitness
* Holiday travel season off to fast start
* Who's in the news? Peter Wemhoff

* Dawn Patrol: Outcry over McDonald's plans to tear down Des Plaines replica
* Man who attacked estranged wife on street gets jail, probation
* Even 2 decades later, the 1997 Apple Cup still resonates
* How Schaumburg, developer hope to keep Motorola redevelopment from affecting schools
* China's CEFC denies links to alleged Africa bribery plot

* Panel encourages women to consider careers...
* DOJ to ban US lawmakers should Duterte ord...
* Geneva Chamber honors Gaines for 40 years ...
* US lawmakers to Duterte: 'Sovereignty does...
* Local Congressmen React to the Passage of ...
* Hultgren and Ruppersberger: Protect infras...
* Hultgren whishes McHenry County College a ...
* This RSS feed URL is deprecated
* Rep. Randy Hultgren congratulates McHenry ...
* 3 suburban GOP reps provide crucial votes ...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* Cook County Board passes 2018 budget that will lay off 321 employees, and other Chicago news
* The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #176: Broken Bears; Cubs' Seven-Year Itch
* Trump FCC Opens Corporate Media Merger Floodgates
* FCC Wraps New Gift For Sinclair
* Safely Stuffing Family Starts With Safely Stuffing Birds
* ‘Give it back! as ridiculous a command from GOPers as ‘Lock her up!’
* The unbearable lightness of Justice League
* Tony at the Red Line Tap. The divine right of guys.
* Illinois’ teacher shortage and pension theft.
* The [Friday] Papers

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Google Allows YouTube to Return to Amazon's Echo Show Smart Speaker
* Sony Xperia XA2 may have been benchmarked with Android 8.0 and Snapdragon 630 SoC
* BlackBerry KEYone sequel inches closer to release with benchmark ‘confirming’ 6GB RAM
* This may (or may not) be our first ‘spot-on’ look at the back of the Galaxy S9
* OnePlus 5T band support does not equal Sprint or Verizon compatibility