Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Sanguinetti “loves” Springfield
Sanguinetti “loves” Springfield

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014

* Bernie

Evelyn Sanguinetti used the word “love” several times Wednesday when explaining what she thinks of Springfield and its people.

And the member of the Wheaton City Council, who is also running mate to GOP governor candidate Bruce Rauner, made it very clear that a leaked email she sent to a law school friend months before she was on the state ticket was not intended to be demeaning to the capital city.

“I’ve loved it,” Sanguinetti said of Springfield in a brief interview with The State Journal-Register after a closed-to-press meeting with Women for Rauner at the President Abraham Lincoln Hotel in downtown Springfield. “We come here every year as a family. We always have come throughout the years for Republican Day, and the kids have enjoyed the (state) fair as a whole. So we love it. And we love all the tribute to Lincoln, and the kids have loved to go to the (Abraham Lincoln Presidential) Museum as well as all the areas around here.”

Lee Enterprises newspapers recently reported that in a Jan. 1, 2013, email to a former classmate at John Marshall Law School in Chicago, Sanguinetti asked about any openings in his agency and ended with, “Isn’t cow tipping a work requirement in Springfield (LOL)?”

* Bernie also posted raw audio of his interview

* A quote which didn’t make it into his story…

“Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”

1. - Soccermom - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:12 am:

“I love the truth of the people I have met.”

Palin-Sanguinetti in 2016!

2. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:13 am:

===”Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”===

“Very early on, Bill Brady has allowed me to tour Springfield.”, said Jason Plummer.

“Right? Exactly right.”

3. - circular firing squad - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:14 am:

Wonder if Mitt had her watch Jim Nabors tapes for show prep?

4. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:16 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. Then, I had to sign waivers so I haven’t gotten out much. #DualLiability

5. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:18 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield, then they paid attention to what I was saying. No more touring. #SilenceIsHelping

6. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:19 am:

–“Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”–

Huh?

7. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:20 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. I showed them where my friend works when I asked for a job with Quinn. #TourGuideJobsAvailable

8. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:22 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. Now I’m not allowed to your Metro East area for obvious reasons #Torts #Litigation

9. - Toure's Latte - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:25 am:

So it’s okay to be very creeped out now, right?

10. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:25 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. The whole branches of gov’t and Co-Governor stuff has been fun to learn #ConstitutionallyInept

11. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:27 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. It took a lot longer than I thought. Springfield has stop lights and cars. #CowTippingNext

12. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:28 am:

=== Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. ===

This remark comes from a qualified Lt. Gov. candidate???

Nobody told my Dad and Mom that they needed to be allowed into the city when they honeymooned here.

13. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:31 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. I am also allowed to be out past the street lights being on, and to watch PG-13 movies. #ShortLeashLongCampaign

14. - walker - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:32 am:

Is there a clear reason they chose her?

Appeal to suburban women? to youth? to those with recent immigrant background?

Who was her champion even to get her on a list to be considered?

Strong Republican women who have won elections, with real executive experience in local government — there have to be fifty of them ahead of Sanguinetti.

15. - Commander Norton - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:34 am:

What a disaster. Of course, I’m not sure whether that comment said more about Ms. Sanguinetti or more about the office of Lt Gov and the sorts of people willing to fill it…

16. - Reality Check - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:38 am:

17. - foster brooks - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:41 am:

All those steps in Springfield. This is going to be a nightmare.

18. - anon - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:43 am:

Can’t wait for the pic’s of her enjoying a local horseshoe sandwich or some Mello donuts.

19. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:45 am:

It seems she was very gracious to Bernie. Which is exactly who she is; gracious. She can’t win with the parsers. “Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective that implies her schedule was set to include the Springfield area. Is that a wild interpretation or excuse for her? I guess it depends on the audience.

20. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:46 am:

Make that a “verb” not adjective. Typing fast today. Apologies to my English professors!

21. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:49 am:

=== It seems she was very gracious to Bernie. ===

Maybe his nephew told her that Bernie is a nice guy. Or, the Raunervich campaign reminded her to be nice to all media people.

22. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:50 am:

–”Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective that implies her schedule was set to include the Springfield area. Is that a wild interpretation or excuse for her?–

23. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:53 am:

I’ll be nice to Slip and Sue and give her a tip about Springfield. Evie, if you happen to get elected, encourage Bruce to eat lots and lots of horseshoes! No ponies - the big horseshoes!

24. - Old and In The Way - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:58 am:

A Guy

You have a full time job ahead if you are going to need to explain or interpret every Slip ‘n Sue faux pas……. You spend five minutes talking to her and you will get at least three malapropisms. The woman is simply incapable of communicating extemporaneously. Campaign disaster ahead? The media and reality are not her friends I am afraid. There were surely more competent running mates in the party.

25. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

Nice try A Guy,

Yes, we are parsing her. It’s what we do. And we’re not normal people, not by a long stretch.

But she is marginalizing herself with every public utterance. You can try to spin that and make it about us, but if your campaign is smart, they’ll deploy Ms. Sanguinetti in the border counties a la Jason “Not Ready for Prime Time Either” Plummer.

Seriously, where does the GOP find these people?

26. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:06 pm:

They found her in Milton Township. I guess there’s no recruiting effort in the 47th Ward. Pity…they know everything.

27. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:07 pm:

====wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:50 am:

Maybe she didn’t have as choice. She probably wanted to stay closer to home, but Rauner approached her at a vulnerable time in her life and drafted her to make the visit.===

Look here. You’re being coy. Your body of work today is beneath you.

28. - Amalia - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Tour Guide Slip and Sue!

29. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:17 pm:

Has anyone asked Sanguinetti her motivations for wanting to join the Quinn administration, other than that she wanted a state job?

30. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

===They found her in Milton Township===

Can she see Wisconsin from her house?

31. - Nonplussed - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:21 pm:

To quote Malibu Stacy: “Don’t ask me, I’m only a girl”.

32. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:22 pm:

== 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

===They found her in Milton Township===

Can she see Wisconsin from her house?===

Can you?

33. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:23 pm:

A Guy, whatever they’re paying you, you’re worth it in my book. You’re a good sport.

34. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

47, I’m free of charge. Not paid. Not on any staff. Just a Precinct Captain. I’m taking this cycle seriously. I really do see a situation where we can’t endure 4 more Quinn years. Moreover, there has to be a counter balance in the mansion. I want my kids and grandkids to stay near me, not move away. I’m set. I’m a middle classer with plenty to live on if I don’t do anything completely stupid. (Resist, dude!) I want Illinois to continue to be the home of my family.
    Hey, we may all have disagreements on how to get there, but at least let’s agree we’ve gotta get there. You’re alright.

35. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

I don’t believe her at all.

36. - Stones - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

* “Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.” *

…and when I was allowed to tour Springfield my favorite thing was to play bowling at the Springfield Bowl!

37. - Dirty Red - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:05 pm:

So the top of this ticket says Springfield is corrupt and needs to be shaken up. The bottom half says she loves those people. Clear messaging to me.

= “Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.” =

Gov. Quinn just found a job for Sanguinetti within the ranks. She now heads up a training course on obedience for former city council members turned lieutenant governor nominees.

38. - Skeptic - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:34 pm:

How long until someone trips her up with a question about Lincoln county?

39. - Mary Sunshine - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:48 pm:

Exactly Walker…the Rauner campaign has overlooked many smart, savvy and strong women in favor of this “outsider” - and now he is paying the price. Why not Rezin? Wheeler? Hammond? McConnoughay? Would not have seen all these missteps…

40. - Demoralized - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:51 pm:

Try as some might here to defend her it’s plain to see that she simply isn’t good at talking off the cuff. I don’t know her so I’m not speaking personally about her. She may be a great person. And maybe she will do a good job if she makes it to the Lt. Gov spot. But I can say without equivocation that she is not good at this kind of stuff. To try and argue anything else is just being nice.

41. - zatoichi - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

‘I’ve loved it’.
    1. Is that ‘loved’ as in a cute, quaint, tolerable place? or..
    2. Is that ‘I never knew places like this existed’? I am moving here permanently.

42. - Anonymous - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

- I really do see a situation where we can’t endure 4 more Quinn years. -

I’m with you, the way unemployment is going under Quinn’s leadership we may see record lows if he sticks around. The horror…

43. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

Evelyn Sanguinetti: Attending the State Fair is my family’s tradition ever since Bruce gave me approval to come to Springfield.

44. - NewWestSuburbanGOP'er - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 3:38 pm:

Okay, I’m just saying…. If Rauner wins, this lady is one heart beat away from being Governor.

Really?

Hey Rich, it was great to finally meet you Tuesday night.

45. - Precinct Captain - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

==- wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:17 pm:==

Apparently not, because we’re stilling waiting.

46. - Budget Watcher - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 4:19 pm:

I don’t believe that the Lt. Gov. candidates will factor much in the ultimate outcome, good or bad. And therefore, I’ve actually enjoyed the silliness of Sanguinetti’s statements during the campaign.

47. - low level - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 4:45 pm:

===”Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”===

What, no defensive Raunerbots as we had about two months ago when me and OW raised the very issue of Evelyn in hiding - OW reinforcing the point against repeated nonsense from Rauner campers???

Will Evelyn go back into hiding now that the one time she is sort of let out she blows it completely?

LOL

48. - Ken_in_Aurora - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 5:28 pm:

===And we’re not normal people, not by a long stretch.===

Understatement of the week, if not year.

49. - WindyCity - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 6:19 pm:

First time hearing her; she sounds just like Palin. What a dip. Bruce shouldn’t “allow” her to tour anymore. Then again, Rauner with his Sgt. Schultz routine and Mike Shrimp as his spokesmouth undoubtedly and increasingly hates being out where he can be heard.

50. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 7:14 pm:

“no defensive Raunerbots”

low level, scrol up and meet “a guy.”

Once again, tis better to keep one’s mouth closed and be thought a fool, etc, etc, etc.

51. - PublicServant - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 8:23 pm:

Exactly AA.

52. - Late to the Party - Friday, Aug 15, 14 @ 7:49 am:

– ”Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective –

how about permitted?

* Illinois Policy Institute news service scores exclusive Rauner interview
* Dispute erupts over how many people can attend a meeting
* ILGOP unleashes robocalls in wake of Senate tax hike vote
* It's just a bill
* It's not 4.95 percent, it's 5.81 percent for the rest of this year
* Far more heat than light
* Caption contest!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** "Eyes are back on to the Senate"?
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Mendoza warns of "breaking point"
* Can an oligarch be a progressive?
* *** UPDATED x2 - Kennedy responds - Pawar responds *** Pritzker, Biss respond to Senate budget votes
* In her dreams
* Support High-Performing Charter Schools
* "I’m a big believer in win-win"
* Unkind headlines
* Modernize the Vital Records Act - Support HB 1785
* *** LIVE *** Session coverage

* Morning Spin: Owners who leave Chicago properti.....
* BRIEFS - Herald & Review..
* Day after Senate budget vote, GOP tries to push.....
* Day after Senate budget vote, GOP tries to push.....

* EXCHANGE: Nursing students' real-life experiences are vital
* Family sues Naperville high school, police over teen's death
* Excavation for possible graves starts at future jail site
* Fastest growing US cities are in South; 4 of top 5 in Texas
* Chicago train service to install new camera system
* Chicago schools to borrow about $900 million
* Senate bills seek tougher Great Lakes pipeline standards
* Legislative hearing takes up Illinois child welfare agency
* Former pizzeria operator guilty of drug charges
* Grand jury indicts man in fatal shooting of judge

* Trump budget draws different Illinois reviews
* Bernard Schoenburg: Senate Democrats take action; situation still tense
* Illinois House begins review of Senate Democrats' budget plan
* Senate OKs bill allowing AT&T to shift resources from older technology
* Lawmakers hear about high caseloads, pressure at DCFS
* House Democrats propose college grant program
* Senate Dems approve $5.4B tax increase; budget fight continues
* Budget showdown: Senate Dems approve $5.4B tax increase
* Budget showdown: Senate Dems approve $5B tax increase
* Red-light cameras rake in millions for Chicago suburbs

* Replace Obamacare, yes. Gut Medicaid, no comment.
* Wanna buy a bulldozer? Here's a site for you.
* Massive Union Station project gets a developer
* United CEO: Dragging incident needs 'to be constant reminder'
* A new South Loop high school? CPS will look at it.

* New Volkswagen Passat holds its own against larger car class
* Kids with an adult can ride Metra for free all summer
* 14-year-old boy among 2 shot in Little Village
* Man, woman robbed near Obama’s Kenwood home
* 1 dead, 7 wounded in Chicago shootings Wednesday
* Chicago commuter train service to install new camera system
* Man wounded in Little Village shooting
* Man shot after argument in Lawndale
* 14-year-old boy shot in Austin
* Police: 16-year-old found boy shot to death in South Shore

* All aboard: Joliet Rocket steamin' into town
* Cheap out: Five fun things to do for free
* Quigley says Russia probe is 'in its infancy'
* Chicago in epicenter of charter school teacher contract disputes
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 5/25/17
* 4 teen boys shot in 4 hours
* Working at Kraft Heinz means competition, cost-cutting, and for some, reward
* French Normandy home in Wilmette: $2M
* Morning Spin: Owners who leave Chicago properties vacant might have to pay more
* Police investigating robbery near Obama home

» Does New Neighborhood Watch Reduce Crime Or Create Resident-Cops?
» Illinois Issues: Should 10-Year-Old Kids Be Kept In Juvenile Detention?
» Chicago Public Schools Look To Borrow $900 Million
» United CEO To Investors: We'll Be More Focused On Customers
» Red-Light Cameras Rake In Millions For Chicago Suburbs
» Judge Delays Decision On How Quickly State Should Pay Medicaid
» How Would Trump’s Budget Affect Illinois?
» Illinois Democrats Pass Budget Proposal in Senate
» Illinois Senate Approves Tax Hike, $37B Budget Plan
» Chicago Teachers Give Schools Chief No Confidence Vote

* Sounding the Alarm: Unacceptable
* Trump budget draws different Illinois reviews
* Bernard Schoenburg: Senate Democrats take action; situation still tense
* Our View: Cohesion needs to be central part of YWCA block decisions
* Illinois House begins review of Senate Democrats' budget plan
* Our View: Cohesion needs to be central part of Y block decisions
* Senate OKs bill allowing AT&T to shift resources from older technology
* Lawmakers hear about high caseloads, pressure at DCFS
* Sounding the Alarm: Unacceptable
* Sounding the Alarm: Time to take action

* Destihl owner: 'My nature is to keep growing'
* Restaurant opens, kayak rentals added at Moraine View
* Enjoy the beautiful weather while you can. Thunderstorms are likely this weekend.
* Upcoming Services for May 25
* Senior Day at Central
* Restaurant open, kayak rentals added at Moraine View
* Police department openings leading to hirings
* Area Calendar 5/25/17
* Unit 5 eyes budget issues from lax state payments
* Rick's Six: Flooding, Muscatine survivor, dark glasses and Central renovations unveiled

* Employee who accused Kane County chairman of intimidation gets six-figure separation deal
* Population decline now reaching into suburbs
* Dawn Patrol: Bail money's source questioned; Antioch woman charged with prostitution
* Melting pot Manchester stresses unity after concert attack
* Workers clean up damage after Indiana cemetery vandalism

* Lester: Suburban lawmaker says he knew Com...
* Local Republicans, Democrats praise appoin...
* House GOP takes first steps to undo financ...
* Teacher raised in Yorkville running agains...
* Protesters continue die-in at US Rep. Rand...
* Jim Walz Will Challenge Randy Hultgren for...
* PHOTOS: Protesters stage die-in at Randy H...
* US Rep. Randy Hultgren's office the scene ...
* Second Democrat announces bid to unseat Hu...
* Sweet: Hultgren, Roskam, Kinzinger avoid b...

* Top Republicans chagrined over proposed cu......
* Dick Durbin statement on CBO's analysis of......
* Dick Durbin statement on CBO's analysis of......

* Congressional Budget Office: House bill to......

* The graphic novel Imagine Wanting Only This turns comics into poetry
* City Council ‘reluctantly’ approves measure to ease gun range restrictions, and other Chicago news
* Police Commanders' Public Meeting For 20th/24th District Residents
* St Boniface to Hold Traditional Field Mass To Honor The Fallen on Memorial Day
* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* Is government too political?
* Queer and proud in a cool protester outfit
* Jon Mueller and Mike Weis meditate with drums at the Zen Buddhist Temple-Chicago
* Hitting Left with the Klonsky Brothers #16. Globalization.
* Losers!

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Garmin VIRB 360 camera throws caution aside with $800 price, unbeatable specs, rugged design
* Gatwick Airport now has 2,000 beacons for indoor navigation
* Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Appointed Chancellor of London's Royal College of Art
* Even Verizon’s modest LG K8 V gets to run Android 7.0 Nougat before the G4 and V10
* Apple Transitions App Store Pricing to Local Currency in 9 Countries
* API Documentation Browser 'Dash' Returns to iOS App Store As a Free Download
* Xiaomi Mi Max 2 amazingly starts at reasonable $250 with a ginormous battery, screen and 4GB RAM

* Kopech, Giolito starting on Thursday