Sanguinetti “loves” Springfield

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014

* Bernie

Evelyn Sanguinetti used the word “love” several times Wednesday when explaining what she thinks of Springfield and its people.

And the member of the Wheaton City Council, who is also running mate to GOP governor candidate Bruce Rauner, made it very clear that a leaked email she sent to a law school friend months before she was on the state ticket was not intended to be demeaning to the capital city.

“I’ve loved it,” Sanguinetti said of Springfield in a brief interview with The State Journal-Register after a closed-to-press meeting with Women for Rauner at the President Abraham Lincoln Hotel in downtown Springfield. “We come here every year as a family. We always have come throughout the years for Republican Day, and the kids have enjoyed the (state) fair as a whole. So we love it. And we love all the tribute to Lincoln, and the kids have loved to go to the (Abraham Lincoln Presidential) Museum as well as all the areas around here.”

Lee Enterprises newspapers recently reported that in a Jan. 1, 2013, email to a former classmate at John Marshall Law School in Chicago, Sanguinetti asked about any openings in his agency and ended with, “Isn’t cow tipping a work requirement in Springfield (LOL)?”

* Bernie also posted raw audio of his interview

* A quote which didn’t make it into his story…

“Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”

1. - Soccermom - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:12 am:

“I love the truth of the people I have met.”

Palin-Sanguinetti in 2016!

2. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:13 am:

===”Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”===

“Very early on, Bill Brady has allowed me to tour Springfield.”, said Jason Plummer.

“Right? Exactly right.”

3. - circular firing squad - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:14 am:

Wonder if Mitt had her watch Jim Nabors tapes for show prep?

4. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:16 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. Then, I had to sign waivers so I haven’t gotten out much. #DualLiability

5. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:18 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield, then they paid attention to what I was saying. No more touring. #SilenceIsHelping

6. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:19 am:

–“Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”–

Huh?

7. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:20 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. I showed them where my friend works when I asked for a job with Quinn. #TourGuideJobsAvailable

8. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:22 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. Now I’m not allowed to your Metro East area for obvious reasons #Torts #Litigation

9. - Toure's Latte - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:25 am:

So it’s okay to be very creeped out now, right?

10. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:25 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. The whole branches of gov’t and Co-Governor stuff has been fun to learn #ConstitutionallyInept

11. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:27 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. It took a lot longer than I thought. Springfield has stop lights and cars. #CowTippingNext

12. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:28 am:

=== Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. ===

This remark comes from a qualified Lt. Gov. candidate???

Nobody told my Dad and Mom that they needed to be allowed into the city when they honeymooned here.

13. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:31 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. I am also allowed to be out past the street lights being on, and to watch PG-13 movies. #ShortLeashLongCampaign

14. - walker - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:32 am:

Is there a clear reason they chose her?

Appeal to suburban women? to youth? to those with recent immigrant background?

Who was her champion even to get her on a list to be considered?

Strong Republican women who have won elections, with real executive experience in local government — there have to be fifty of them ahead of Sanguinetti.

15. - Commander Norton - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:34 am:

What a disaster. Of course, I’m not sure whether that comment said more about Ms. Sanguinetti or more about the office of Lt Gov and the sorts of people willing to fill it…

16. - Reality Check - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:38 am:

17. - foster brooks - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:41 am:

All those steps in Springfield. This is going to be a nightmare.

18. - anon - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:43 am:

Can’t wait for the pic’s of her enjoying a local horseshoe sandwich or some Mello donuts.

19. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:45 am:

It seems she was very gracious to Bernie. Which is exactly who she is; gracious. She can’t win with the parsers. “Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective that implies her schedule was set to include the Springfield area. Is that a wild interpretation or excuse for her? I guess it depends on the audience.

20. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:46 am:

Make that a “verb” not adjective. Typing fast today. Apologies to my English professors!

21. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:49 am:

=== It seems she was very gracious to Bernie. ===

Maybe his nephew told her that Bernie is a nice guy. Or, the Raunervich campaign reminded her to be nice to all media people.

22. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:50 am:

–”Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective that implies her schedule was set to include the Springfield area. Is that a wild interpretation or excuse for her?–

23. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:53 am:

I’ll be nice to Slip and Sue and give her a tip about Springfield. Evie, if you happen to get elected, encourage Bruce to eat lots and lots of horseshoes! No ponies - the big horseshoes!

24. - Old and In The Way - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:58 am:

A Guy

You have a full time job ahead if you are going to need to explain or interpret every Slip ‘n Sue faux pas……. You spend five minutes talking to her and you will get at least three malapropisms. The woman is simply incapable of communicating extemporaneously. Campaign disaster ahead? The media and reality are not her friends I am afraid. There were surely more competent running mates in the party.

25. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

Nice try A Guy,

Yes, we are parsing her. It’s what we do. And we’re not normal people, not by a long stretch.

But she is marginalizing herself with every public utterance. You can try to spin that and make it about us, but if your campaign is smart, they’ll deploy Ms. Sanguinetti in the border counties a la Jason “Not Ready for Prime Time Either” Plummer.

Seriously, where does the GOP find these people?

26. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:06 pm:

They found her in Milton Township. I guess there’s no recruiting effort in the 47th Ward. Pity…they know everything.

27. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:07 pm:

====wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:50 am:

Maybe she didn’t have as choice. She probably wanted to stay closer to home, but Rauner approached her at a vulnerable time in her life and drafted her to make the visit.===

Look here. You’re being coy. Your body of work today is beneath you.

28. - Amalia - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Tour Guide Slip and Sue!

29. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:17 pm:

Has anyone asked Sanguinetti her motivations for wanting to join the Quinn administration, other than that she wanted a state job?

30. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

===They found her in Milton Township===

Can she see Wisconsin from her house?

31. - Nonplussed - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:21 pm:

To quote Malibu Stacy: “Don’t ask me, I’m only a girl”.

32. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:22 pm:

== 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

===They found her in Milton Township===

Can she see Wisconsin from her house?===

Can you?

33. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:23 pm:

A Guy, whatever they’re paying you, you’re worth it in my book. You’re a good sport.

34. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

47, I’m free of charge. Not paid. Not on any staff. Just a Precinct Captain. I’m taking this cycle seriously. I really do see a situation where we can’t endure 4 more Quinn years. Moreover, there has to be a counter balance in the mansion. I want my kids and grandkids to stay near me, not move away. I’m set. I’m a middle classer with plenty to live on if I don’t do anything completely stupid. (Resist, dude!) I want Illinois to continue to be the home of my family.
    Hey, we may all have disagreements on how to get there, but at least let’s agree we’ve gotta get there. You’re alright.

35. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

I don’t believe her at all.

36. - Stones - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

* “Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.” *

…and when I was allowed to tour Springfield my favorite thing was to play bowling at the Springfield Bowl!

37. - Dirty Red - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:05 pm:

So the top of this ticket says Springfield is corrupt and needs to be shaken up. The bottom half says she loves those people. Clear messaging to me.

= “Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.” =

Gov. Quinn just found a job for Sanguinetti within the ranks. She now heads up a training course on obedience for former city council members turned lieutenant governor nominees.

38. - Skeptic - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:34 pm:

How long until someone trips her up with a question about Lincoln county?

39. - Mary Sunshine - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:48 pm:

Exactly Walker…the Rauner campaign has overlooked many smart, savvy and strong women in favor of this “outsider” - and now he is paying the price. Why not Rezin? Wheeler? Hammond? McConnoughay? Would not have seen all these missteps…

40. - Demoralized - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:51 pm:

Try as some might here to defend her it’s plain to see that she simply isn’t good at talking off the cuff. I don’t know her so I’m not speaking personally about her. She may be a great person. And maybe she will do a good job if she makes it to the Lt. Gov spot. But I can say without equivocation that she is not good at this kind of stuff. To try and argue anything else is just being nice.

41. - zatoichi - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

‘I’ve loved it’.
    1. Is that ‘loved’ as in a cute, quaint, tolerable place? or..
    2. Is that ‘I never knew places like this existed’? I am moving here permanently.

42. - Anonymous - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

- I really do see a situation where we can’t endure 4 more Quinn years. -

I’m with you, the way unemployment is going under Quinn’s leadership we may see record lows if he sticks around. The horror…

43. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

Evelyn Sanguinetti: Attending the State Fair is my family’s tradition ever since Bruce gave me approval to come to Springfield.

44. - NewWestSuburbanGOP'er - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 3:38 pm:

Okay, I’m just saying…. If Rauner wins, this lady is one heart beat away from being Governor.

Really?

Hey Rich, it was great to finally meet you Tuesday night.

45. - Precinct Captain - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

==- wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:17 pm:==

Apparently not, because we’re stilling waiting.

46. - Budget Watcher - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 4:19 pm:

I don’t believe that the Lt. Gov. candidates will factor much in the ultimate outcome, good or bad. And therefore, I’ve actually enjoyed the silliness of Sanguinetti’s statements during the campaign.

47. - low level - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 4:45 pm:

===”Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”===

What, no defensive Raunerbots as we had about two months ago when me and OW raised the very issue of Evelyn in hiding - OW reinforcing the point against repeated nonsense from Rauner campers???

Will Evelyn go back into hiding now that the one time she is sort of let out she blows it completely?

LOL

48. - Ken_in_Aurora - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 5:28 pm:

===And we’re not normal people, not by a long stretch.===

Understatement of the week, if not year.

49. - WindyCity - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 6:19 pm:

First time hearing her; she sounds just like Palin. What a dip. Bruce shouldn’t “allow” her to tour anymore. Then again, Rauner with his Sgt. Schultz routine and Mike Shrimp as his spokesmouth undoubtedly and increasingly hates being out where he can be heard.

50. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 7:14 pm:

“no defensive Raunerbots”

low level, scrol up and meet “a guy.”

Once again, tis better to keep one’s mouth closed and be thought a fool, etc, etc, etc.

51. - PublicServant - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 8:23 pm:

Exactly AA.

52. - Late to the Party - Friday, Aug 15, 14 @ 7:49 am:

– ”Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective –

how about permitted?

* *** UPDATED x1 *** Get ready for more heated rhetoric
* Rauner wants fewer managed care companies to serve lots more Medicaid clients
* What's with the secrecy?
* Pawar on Madigan
* It's just a bill
* "I don't know what else they can do but go on strike"
* Trib defends Rauner's tenure
* Biss to decide on bid soon
* Rauner skips White House dinner attended by 46 governors
* Emulate Trump at your peril
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* As Decatur loses managed Medicaid options, Raun.....
* Chance the Rapper Will Meet Illinois Governor t.....
* Rauner, Chance the Rapper to talk Chicago schoo.....
* Rauner, Chance the Rapper to talk Chicago schoo.....
* Rauner, Chance the Rapper to talk Chicago schoo.....

* EXCHANGE: Couple starts feminine product bank for needy
* Illinois honoring service members killed in Desert Storm
* Prosecutors investigating if cop tainted other convictions
* 2 nabbed in separate Medicaid fraud probes by state police
* American Airlines flight diverts to Denver after turbulence
* Man accused in killing mistakenly released from custody
* Man accused in killing mistakenly released from custody
* Illinois town in Trump territory backs detained immigrant
* Chance the Rapper, Rauner to talk Chicago school funding
* Chicago schools continue effort in court to get more funds

* Rauner, Chance the Rapper to talk Chicago school funding
* United announces plans for more flights, new destinations
* Gov. Rauner wants more Medicaid clients on managed care
* Sanctuary issue draws dueling demonstrations to Capitol
* Rauner's office: Gov spends 55% of Illinois nights at Mansion
* Report: State senator's law firm dealings under scrutiny
* Durbin wants open look at Russian involvement in election
* Trump puts moderate GOP governors in awkward spot
* Economic stakes high for Springfield in labor showdown
* AFSCME authorizes strike, but still wants to bargain with Rauner

* Oscars oops could spell lasting brand damage for PricewaterhouseCoopers
* Trump promises 'something special' on health care before speech
* CPS might end school year weeks early: reports
* Charter school group touts success in getting grads to college
* Rauner scraps Medicaid managed care, outlines new plan

* Man seriously wounded in Belmont Gardens shooting
* Livery driver shot, minivan stolen in Washington Park
* The day in pictures: Cubs vs. White Sox
* Accountants take ‘full responsibility’ for Oscar flub, slow fix
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Feb. 28, 2017
* Dear Abby: Let’s celebrate day child was adopted
* Public asked to help identify man found in West Rogers Park
* Police: Robberies reported in Armour Square
* Jerry ‘Augie’ Morelli founded thriving suburban restaurants
* Tankers beware: Copying Cubs process ain’t cheap – or guaranteed

* Morning Spin: Chicago 4th Ward alderman, suburban mayoral contests on ballot today
* 5 wounded in city shootings
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 2/28/17
* Duckworth: I'll work with Trump on transportation spending plan
* On point: Guard Deron Williams signs with champion Cavaliers
* Malaysia to charge 2 women with murder in N. Korean's death
* Judge to hear arguments on Dakota Access oil pipeline work
* Fire chief: 4 dead, 2 injured as small plane crashes into two homes in California
* South Korean prosecutors to indict Samsung's de facto chief
* China must be persuaded to squeeze North Korea's lifeline

» Rauner, Chance The Rapper To Talk Chicago School Funding
» Advocates: Caps On Charter Schools Are 'Bad For Our City'
» CPS: School Year May End Early If State Doesn't Provide More Money
» Doctors Warn Against Teen Pot Use Amid Looser Marijuana Laws
» Illinois Town In Trump Territory Backs Detained Immigrant
» Chicagoans Rally To Support Trans Rights After Trump Rescinds Student Protections
» Rauner Has Plan To Keep Government Running In Case Of Strike
» Congressman Rush Declares His Offices As Sanctuaries
» Weekend Funerals For Young Victims Of Chicago Violence
» CPS Relents, Returns $15 Million to Poorest Chicago Schools

* Scott Reeder: AFSCME needs to understand the necessity of sacrifice
* Rauner, Chance the Rapper to talk Chicago school funding
* United announces plans for more flights, new destinations
* Gov. Rauner wants more Medicaid clients on managed care
* Sanctuary issue draws dueling demonstrations to Capitol
* Angie Muhs: It's time to name another Reader Advisory Board
* Bernard Schoenburg: Duckworth names 'thoughtful' former boss to downstate post
* Statehouse Insider: It's not the money, it's the appearance
* Our View: It's time for penance at the Capitol
* Rauner's office: Gov spends 55% of Illinois nights at Mansion

* Rick's Six: Wet weather, water hike, drag racing and closed-door meeting
* SIU photojournalism students capture frames of Carbondale life in new book
* Human services try to 'reframe' their impact
* As dollars dry, college debt is hitting a peak
* Gas price rise likely in weeks ahead
* Commentary: Museums and the power of facts
* Editorial: Need for speed is a dangerous trend on roads
* Police Beat
* Photo: Reaching the top
* West Frankfort man detained by ICE

* Des Plaines man gets probation for lying in probe of Cook County court clerk
* Constable: Oscars serve sweet slice of Americana
* Wheeling incumbent trustee candidates support Argiris
* Elgin police not changing stance on immigration
* Police searching for inmate mistakenly released from prison

* Hultgren to join veterans' forum at Geneva...
* Group upset with Trump wants Town Hall mee...
* US Representative Randy Hultgren visits ne...
* Hultgren posts comments on health care ref...
* Hultgren criticizes immigration ban, Roska...
* Congressmen Call for Probe into Macedonian...
* Hultgren to participate in veterans forum ...
* Hultgren to join veterans' forum at Geneva...
* Majority of IL Congressional Delegation Op...
* Group upset with Trump wants Town Hall mee...

* Democrats' Guests Intended to Send Message......
* Richard Durbin wants independent Russia pr......

* Senator Tammy Duckworth Hosts Transportati......

* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* Do Beatty & Dunaway now deserve a fate worse than Bonnie and Clyde?
* Has anyone been to the Chatham 14 Theaters
* The immigration debate: What does the Catholic Church teach?
* Rauner to meet with Chance the Rapper
* Illinois’s only true meadery is riding the current wave of interest in the fermented honey beverage
* The One-Minute Festival offers a takedown of the entire Trump administration in just 60 seconds
* A tiny takeout joint in a Wilmette strip mall serves some of the most lovingly made Pakistani food in the Chicago area
* Mardi Gras shrimp boil, Wayne's World live reading, and more things to do in Chicago this week
* Does Rauner plan to "PATCO" state employees?

* Governor Announces Medicaid Managed Care Reboot
* Returning Illinois Products Expo Offers 'Taste of Illinois Agriculture' - Supporting Illinois agri-businesses creates boost to Illinois economy
* Governor Celebrates Black History Month
* Governor Bruce Rauner Honors Carnegie Hero From Buffalo Grove
* Governor Addresses State Board of Education to Emphasize Importance of Strong Accountability Standards

* Google Home Smart Speaker Coming to the UK This Spring
* Meizu Super mCharge tech will fill up a 3,000 mAh battery in 20 minutes… someday
* Amazon Developing 'Voice ID' Technology for Alexa Assistant
* ‘All’ Fossil Q devices get Android Wear 2.0 next month, Asus ZenWatch 2 and 3 in early Q2
* LG Mobile president talks G6 price, mass appeal and its logo
* SoundCloud Launches Cheaper $4.99 Streaming Subscription Plan
* Mid-range Xiaomi Mi 5c smartphone goes official with in-house-designed Surge S1 SoC

* Abreu slugs first Sox homer; Giolito debuts