Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Sanguinetti “loves” Springfield
Sanguinetti “loves” Springfield

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014

* Bernie

Evelyn Sanguinetti used the word “love” several times Wednesday when explaining what she thinks of Springfield and its people.

And the member of the Wheaton City Council, who is also running mate to GOP governor candidate Bruce Rauner, made it very clear that a leaked email she sent to a law school friend months before she was on the state ticket was not intended to be demeaning to the capital city.

“I’ve loved it,” Sanguinetti said of Springfield in a brief interview with The State Journal-Register after a closed-to-press meeting with Women for Rauner at the President Abraham Lincoln Hotel in downtown Springfield. “We come here every year as a family. We always have come throughout the years for Republican Day, and the kids have enjoyed the (state) fair as a whole. So we love it. And we love all the tribute to Lincoln, and the kids have loved to go to the (Abraham Lincoln Presidential) Museum as well as all the areas around here.”

Lee Enterprises newspapers recently reported that in a Jan. 1, 2013, email to a former classmate at John Marshall Law School in Chicago, Sanguinetti asked about any openings in his agency and ended with, “Isn’t cow tipping a work requirement in Springfield (LOL)?”

* Bernie also posted raw audio of his interview

* A quote which didn’t make it into his story…

“Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”

1. - Soccermom - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:12 am:

“I love the truth of the people I have met.”

Palin-Sanguinetti in 2016!

2. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:13 am:

===”Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”===

“Very early on, Bill Brady has allowed me to tour Springfield.”, said Jason Plummer.

“Right? Exactly right.”

3. - circular firing squad - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:14 am:

Wonder if Mitt had her watch Jim Nabors tapes for show prep?

4. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:16 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. Then, I had to sign waivers so I haven’t gotten out much. #DualLiability

5. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:18 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield, then they paid attention to what I was saying. No more touring. #SilenceIsHelping

6. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:19 am:

–“Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”–

Huh?

7. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:20 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. I showed them where my friend works when I asked for a job with Quinn. #TourGuideJobsAvailable

8. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:22 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. Now I’m not allowed to your Metro East area for obvious reasons #Torts #Litigation

9. - Toure's Latte - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:25 am:

So it’s okay to be very creeped out now, right?

10. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:25 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. The whole branches of gov’t and Co-Governor stuff has been fun to learn #ConstitutionallyInept

11. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:27 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. It took a lot longer than I thought. Springfield has stop lights and cars. #CowTippingNext

12. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:28 am:

=== Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. ===

This remark comes from a qualified Lt. Gov. candidate???

Nobody told my Dad and Mom that they needed to be allowed into the city when they honeymooned here.

13. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:31 am:

@FakeSlipAndSue - Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield. I am also allowed to be out past the street lights being on, and to watch PG-13 movies. #ShortLeashLongCampaign

14. - walker - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:32 am:

Is there a clear reason they chose her?

Appeal to suburban women? to youth? to those with recent immigrant background?

Who was her champion even to get her on a list to be considered?

Strong Republican women who have won elections, with real executive experience in local government — there have to be fifty of them ahead of Sanguinetti.

15. - Commander Norton - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:34 am:

What a disaster. Of course, I’m not sure whether that comment said more about Ms. Sanguinetti or more about the office of Lt Gov and the sorts of people willing to fill it…

16. - Reality Check - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:38 am:

17. - foster brooks - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:41 am:

All those steps in Springfield. This is going to be a nightmare.

18. - anon - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:43 am:

Can’t wait for the pic’s of her enjoying a local horseshoe sandwich or some Mello donuts.

19. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:45 am:

It seems she was very gracious to Bernie. Which is exactly who she is; gracious. She can’t win with the parsers. “Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective that implies her schedule was set to include the Springfield area. Is that a wild interpretation or excuse for her? I guess it depends on the audience.

20. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:46 am:

Make that a “verb” not adjective. Typing fast today. Apologies to my English professors!

21. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:49 am:

=== It seems she was very gracious to Bernie. ===

Maybe his nephew told her that Bernie is a nice guy. Or, the Raunervich campaign reminded her to be nice to all media people.

22. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:50 am:

–”Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective that implies her schedule was set to include the Springfield area. Is that a wild interpretation or excuse for her?–

23. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:53 am:

I’ll be nice to Slip and Sue and give her a tip about Springfield. Evie, if you happen to get elected, encourage Bruce to eat lots and lots of horseshoes! No ponies - the big horseshoes!

24. - Old and In The Way - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:58 am:

A Guy

You have a full time job ahead if you are going to need to explain or interpret every Slip ‘n Sue faux pas……. You spend five minutes talking to her and you will get at least three malapropisms. The woman is simply incapable of communicating extemporaneously. Campaign disaster ahead? The media and reality are not her friends I am afraid. There were surely more competent running mates in the party.

25. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

Nice try A Guy,

Yes, we are parsing her. It’s what we do. And we’re not normal people, not by a long stretch.

But she is marginalizing herself with every public utterance. You can try to spin that and make it about us, but if your campaign is smart, they’ll deploy Ms. Sanguinetti in the border counties a la Jason “Not Ready for Prime Time Either” Plummer.

Seriously, where does the GOP find these people?

26. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:06 pm:

They found her in Milton Township. I guess there’s no recruiting effort in the 47th Ward. Pity…they know everything.

27. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:07 pm:

====wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 11:50 am:

Maybe she didn’t have as choice. She probably wanted to stay closer to home, but Rauner approached her at a vulnerable time in her life and drafted her to make the visit.===

Look here. You’re being coy. Your body of work today is beneath you.

28. - Amalia - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Tour Guide Slip and Sue!

29. - wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:17 pm:

Has anyone asked Sanguinetti her motivations for wanting to join the Quinn administration, other than that she wanted a state job?

30. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

===They found her in Milton Township===

Can she see Wisconsin from her house?

31. - Nonplussed - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:21 pm:

To quote Malibu Stacy: “Don’t ask me, I’m only a girl”.

32. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:22 pm:

== 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

===They found her in Milton Township===

Can she see Wisconsin from her house?===

Can you?

33. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:23 pm:

A Guy, whatever they’re paying you, you’re worth it in my book. You’re a good sport.

34. - A guy... - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

47, I’m free of charge. Not paid. Not on any staff. Just a Precinct Captain. I’m taking this cycle seriously. I really do see a situation where we can’t endure 4 more Quinn years. Moreover, there has to be a counter balance in the mansion. I want my kids and grandkids to stay near me, not move away. I’m set. I’m a middle classer with plenty to live on if I don’t do anything completely stupid. (Resist, dude!) I want Illinois to continue to be the home of my family.
    Hey, we may all have disagreements on how to get there, but at least let’s agree we’ve gotta get there. You’re alright.

35. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

I don’t believe her at all.

36. - Stones - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

* “Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.” *

…and when I was allowed to tour Springfield my favorite thing was to play bowling at the Springfield Bowl!

37. - Dirty Red - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:05 pm:

So the top of this ticket says Springfield is corrupt and needs to be shaken up. The bottom half says she loves those people. Clear messaging to me.

= “Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.” =

Gov. Quinn just found a job for Sanguinetti within the ranks. She now heads up a training course on obedience for former city council members turned lieutenant governor nominees.

38. - Skeptic - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:34 pm:

How long until someone trips her up with a question about Lincoln county?

39. - Mary Sunshine - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:48 pm:

Exactly Walker…the Rauner campaign has overlooked many smart, savvy and strong women in favor of this “outsider” - and now he is paying the price. Why not Rezin? Wheeler? Hammond? McConnoughay? Would not have seen all these missteps…

40. - Demoralized - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:51 pm:

Try as some might here to defend her it’s plain to see that she simply isn’t good at talking off the cuff. I don’t know her so I’m not speaking personally about her. She may be a great person. And maybe she will do a good job if she makes it to the Lt. Gov spot. But I can say without equivocation that she is not good at this kind of stuff. To try and argue anything else is just being nice.

41. - zatoichi - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

‘I’ve loved it’.
    1. Is that ‘loved’ as in a cute, quaint, tolerable place? or..
    2. Is that ‘I never knew places like this existed’? I am moving here permanently.

42. - Anonymous - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

- I really do see a situation where we can’t endure 4 more Quinn years. -

I’m with you, the way unemployment is going under Quinn’s leadership we may see record lows if he sticks around. The horror…

43. - Norseman - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

Evelyn Sanguinetti: Attending the State Fair is my family’s tradition ever since Bruce gave me approval to come to Springfield.

44. - NewWestSuburbanGOP'er - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 3:38 pm:

Okay, I’m just saying…. If Rauner wins, this lady is one heart beat away from being Governor.

Really?

Hey Rich, it was great to finally meet you Tuesday night.

45. - Precinct Captain - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

==- wordslinger - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 12:17 pm:==

Apparently not, because we’re stilling waiting.

46. - Budget Watcher - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 4:19 pm:

I don’t believe that the Lt. Gov. candidates will factor much in the ultimate outcome, good or bad. And therefore, I’ve actually enjoyed the silliness of Sanguinetti’s statements during the campaign.

47. - low level - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 4:45 pm:

===”Very early on, Bruce Rauner has allowed me to tour Springfield.”===

What, no defensive Raunerbots as we had about two months ago when me and OW raised the very issue of Evelyn in hiding - OW reinforcing the point against repeated nonsense from Rauner campers???

Will Evelyn go back into hiding now that the one time she is sort of let out she blows it completely?

LOL

48. - Ken_in_Aurora - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 5:28 pm:

===And we’re not normal people, not by a long stretch.===

Understatement of the week, if not year.

49. - WindyCity - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 6:19 pm:

First time hearing her; she sounds just like Palin. What a dip. Bruce shouldn’t “allow” her to tour anymore. Then again, Rauner with his Sgt. Schultz routine and Mike Shrimp as his spokesmouth undoubtedly and increasingly hates being out where he can be heard.

50. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 7:14 pm:

“no defensive Raunerbots”

low level, scrol up and meet “a guy.”

Once again, tis better to keep one’s mouth closed and be thought a fool, etc, etc, etc.

51. - PublicServant - Thursday, Aug 14, 14 @ 8:23 pm:

Exactly AA.

52. - Late to the Party - Friday, Aug 15, 14 @ 7:49 am:

– ”Allowed” could be replaced with another adjective –

how about permitted?

* This just in... Rep. Al Riley won't seek reelection
* Mind your mentions!
* Candidate Question 6: Geolocation Privacy Protection Act
* Rauner meets with LGBTQ groups at Equality Illinois headquarters
* Illinois third party full-slate law struck down by federal appeals court
* Another Republican talks about a gas tax hike
* Whatever Rauner does, he will break a promise to one side or the other
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Judge Roy Moore claims Sharia law exists in Illinois and Indiana
* Rose, Brady have a new higher education plan
* What the heck is going on in Bloomington?
* Fowler pledges no criticism of opponents in upcoming campaign

* New funding law good for RTHS - Rantoul Press..
* A Big Win! New Rules for IL Health Insurance Co.....
* Candidate Question 6: Geolocation Privacy Prote.....
* Rauner meets with LGBTQ groups at Equality Illi.....
* 3800 Babies Will Die in Abortions if Illinois G.....
* Illinois lawmakers seek DCFS data about the cas.....
* Opponents of School Privatization Are Very Worr.....
* Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers i.....

* 1 dead as fiery semi crash shuts down part of Interstate 80
* Police: Illinois deputy sexually assaulted woman twice
* Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in Illinois
* Correction: Post Office-Explosion story
* Carnival worker accused of touching teenage girls
* High school suspends football activities amid hazing probe
* High school suspends football activities amid hazing probe
* Full federal court to hear 'Making a Murderer' appeal
* EXCHANGE: Corn, tomatoes just the beginning for gardener
* Illinois officials encourage earthquake drill participation

* Suburban Chicago high school suspends football activities amid hazing probe
* Chicago officers photographed taking a knee, face reprimand
* Abortion rights bill sent to Rauner
* Rauner says anthem protests disrespectful
* Abortion rights bill on way to Rauner
* Ex-congressman Mel Reynolds' tax trial to start Monday
* Public invited to vote on Main Street preservation projects
* Scramble begins in Illinois attorney general race
* Abortion bill is hot potato for Gov. Rauner
* New Illinois law will let adults earn high school diplomas

* Trump disappointed in GOP health bill defectors
* New Loop food court announces lineup
* Local attorney makes Trumpsplaining his mission
* Is your workplace the best in Chicago?

* Sessions says free speech ‘under attack’ on college campuses
* Mexico’s official quake death toll rises to 333
* Speedy Vinnie Hinostroza learning to rein himself in
* Man killed in fiery single-vehicle crash in Calumet Heights
* Watch little girl sing her own love ballad to Anthony Rizzo
* Woman faces several charges after crash during police chase on Ike
* Photo worth more than 100 CAPS meetings, Pfleger says
* Man found dead two days after Washington Park fire
* Lyric Opera, Chicago Urban League unite for EmpowerYouth arts program
* Teens who crashed stolen car into pond arrested buying dry clothing

* Niles North suspends varsity football season after learning of 'possible hazing incident'
* Wauconda man dies in single-vehicle crash near Harvard, McHenry County officials say
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 9/26/17
* Say it ain't so, Chip and Jo! 'Fixer Upper' ending after Season 5
* Patrick Sharp, Artem Anisimov offer an intriguing combination for Blackhawks
* Here's why former Chicago Bear Alan Ball joined 'Survivor' cast
* Whitney Young cancels rest of football season, saying it can't field enough players
* Prepare to pay handsomely for season tickets to Cubs' new premier clubs
* Trump vows to cut taxes 'tremendously' for middle class
* Senate GOP effort to unwind the Affordable Care Act faces critical test

» College Diploma Out-Of-Reach For Growing Number Of Low-Income Illinois Students
» Violence In US Rises For Second Straight Year
» In Major Reversal, Cook County Prosecutors Agree To Reduce Sentence Of Addolfo Davis
» Abortion Legislation Puts Gov. Rauner On Election Bind
» Abortion Legislation Puts Gov. Rauner In Political Bind
» State Week: IL Attorney General Candidates, The Soda Tax, and Courting Amazon
» State Week: IL Attorney General Candidates, The Soda Tax and Courting Amazon
» Governor Running Out Of Time On Location Tracking Regulation
» In Cook County, 3 Prosecutors Are Handling Hundreds Of Wrongful Conviction Claims
» An Accounting For Meteorological Violence Among Insurers

* Scramble begins in Illinois attorney general race

* MidAmerica Airport eyes cargo business
* Are you a Game of Thrones fan? Then get your tickets to this St. Louis event
* Illinois officials encourage earthquake drill participation
* Noon update: More crash details, and Supreme Court to hear case in Davenport
* Davenport North, Harrison schools on lockdown
* WWII veteran who survived two plane crashes shares harrowing story
* Despite heat, crop development behind pace
* Gallery: Historic front pages from the Decatur Herald & Review archives
* Underwood's former assistant arrested on federal corruption charges
* Underclassmen run well in Springfield

* U-46 walk to benefit homeless students
* Lee Daniels pushes through fear with shows 'Empire,' 'Star'
* Farm-to-table restaurant coming to former Corkshire Pub in Hampshire
* Agency announces plan to hire 2,000 at new downtown office
* Businessman says he paid Mel Reynolds thousands to consult in Africa

* Indivisible billboard targets Hultgren, Ro...
* Nick in the AM: Bartonville native plans t...
* Hultgren Comments on CAT Closure, Hurrican...
* Montgomery mayor hosts health care forum a...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* What suburban members of Congress say abou...
* Hultgren pleads for continued funding of f...
* Rep. Randy Hultgren announces 2017 Congres...
* Congressman Randy Hultgren Visits Raue Cen...
* Hultgren pushes for CHIP funding ahead of ...

* Durbin, Duckworth Call for Cairo Help - WSIU...
* Senator Durbin Discusses Latest Disastrous......

* Durbin, Duckworth Call for Cairo Help - WSIU...

* Morning Minute: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau offers guidance on credit following Equifax data breach
* Still time to register for Wednesday’s NAR Safety Webinar
* Lumpen Radio. Chicago’s best low-power FM radio.
* Puerto Rico’s urgency, the cruelty of Donald Trump and colonial history.
* Rauner slams NFL players who protest the national anthem and flag before games, and other Chicago news
* Battle Of The Sexes - Then And Now
* Marking the purchase of a new iPhone
* EXTRA: Whole world was watching
* 9th ward meeting with Ald. Beale on Tuesday
* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Microsoft’s Nokia acquisition picked apart by Nadella in new book
* Uber Adding Feature to Let Drivers Provide More Rider Feedback
* Plex Launches 'Plex News' With Free Content From 190 Providers
* Petnet SmartFeeder review
* [TA Deals] Save 69% on a Universal Dash Smartphone Clip Mount
* Firefox dropping support for Flash on Android
* Does anyone care that Verizon is finally updating its HTC One M9 to Nougat?

* Veteran Volstad gets spot start vs. Angels