Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Friday, Aug 29, 2014

* From the Oberweis campaign…

During his 32 years in Washington, Dick Durbin has jumped in front of every TV camera in production. So why is he shy about doing televised debates against Jim Oberweis?

Durbin has agreed to only one Chicago televised debate.

Here are some possible reasons he suddenly is allergic to TV cameras:

1) He infamously lied about Obamacare.

2) Then, he did it again.

3) His policies have devastated Illinois families. Since he last ran re-election, a typical Illinois family is making $5,053 less money in annual income.

4) He pays women staffers $11,000 less than men in his Senate office.

5) He asked the Internal Revenue Service to scrutinize a conservative organization on the eve of the 2010 congressional election and in the midst of illegal targeting of conservatives by the IRS.

6) He refuses to release any other correspondence he had with the IRS during the IRS scandal.

7) He tried to intimidate conservative donors in what the Chicago Tribune editorial described as “Durbin’s enemies list.”

8) He publicly repeated a false story about a Republican leader being rude to the President.

9) He refuses to return $38,550 in campaign contributions linked to one of the most infamous sexual harassment firms in U.S. history.

10) He has said nothing about $4-a-gallon gas prices after spending years haranguing about the issue when prices were lower under a Republican president.

Before we begin, I strongly encourage you to vote and comment quickly because I’m probably shutting down early today ahead of the Labor Day weekend.

* The Question: How many televised debates do you believe Sen. Durbin should agree to? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

survey software

1. - Been There - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:45 pm:

3 is enough. I couldn’t take watching the milk man more than once or twice anyway. I actually think Obie would be better off not debating. Durbin has a whole arsenal of stuff to zing him with.

2. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

Voted “3″,

One by Phil Ponce and WTTW, at a table, discussion style for Chicago market

One in Springfield, traditional podium/panel style.

One in Metro East, town hall, one moderator, half Q & A with moderator, half questions from the audience. No podiums, stool and water!

3. - William j Kelly - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

Oberwaste’s issues against durbin will lack any credibility unless he denounces Rauner’s armed voter intimidation tactics.

4. - Anyone Remember - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:50 pm:

The same number Rauner agrees to (presently 3?).

5. - Wally - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:53 pm:

@Been There, and JO clearly has a WHOLE lot of things to zing DD. And the “molkman” as you like to call him, earned his money. How did DD become a millionaire?

Go with 3, that is reasonable, and should show the voters plenty.

6. - Norseman - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:58 pm:

I waffled between 2 and 3. Settled on 2 because I really don’t want to see more of Oberweis than I have to.

7. - Responsa - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:02 pm:

I think one in Chicago with local media asking regionally relevant questions. One somewhere in Central Il with local media focusing on questions most relevant to that geographic constituency and one in Southern IL with local media focusing on issues there. The national stuff from both candidates is easier to get from other sources.

8. - East Central Illinois - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:03 pm:

Zero, . . . Who really wants to listen to these two yap at each other?

9. - OneMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:03 pm:

I can’t believe I am going to type this, but I don’t think debating Jim is going to do Durbin any favors. In fact I think the more he debates Jim, the worse he is going to do.

10. - VM - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:05 pm:

Voted for 2. I figure that’s about all the entertainment value that we can wring out of the debates.

To paraphrase from a different context, every gaffe Oberweis can say he’ll say in one debate. Don’t worry if you missed it, he’ll just repeat it in the second one.

11. - Downstate GOP Faithless - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:11 pm:

I have always believed all the statewide should do 2 at a minimum, wishing it were a requirement. Ideally though 3…Chicago, Springfield, and Southern Illinois. beyond that, play politics with how many, but 2-3 should be a statutory requirement in my wish list

12. - Demoralized - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

I’d debate Oberweis all day long if these are the kinds of dopey things he’s going to raise. Durbin could talk circles around the guy.

13. - VanillaMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

Durbin should have enough so there is nothing left of Oberweis.

14. - VanillaMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

oh sorry, that means 1.

15. - VanillaMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

I even know how Durbin can win it without speaking.

Let Oberweis go first and when it is time for the first response, just stand there like that Indian chief, frozen faced and let one single tear roll down his face.

Senator Dick is so awesome when he cries!
    Winner!

16. - 47th Ward - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:21 pm:

I voted more than 5. They should do this weekly in prime time if anyone would broadcast it.

“Never interrupt your opponent when he’s making a fool of himself.”

The more Oberweis talks, the fewer votes he’ll get. He’s like a rich, white Alan Keyes, but without the charisma.

17. - Steve - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:23 pm:

2 debates. But, I wouldn’t be shocked if there are none. Dick Durbin is an arrogant elitist who doesn’t want to debate. Most of Illinois could care less, they are going to vote for tricky Dick Durbin.

18. - wordslinger - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:28 pm:

Outside of PBS, I’m surprised any broadcast station is actually willing to put one on.

Put me down for three — Chicago, Springfield, Carbodale — followed by a mighty “who cares.”

19. - Willie Stark - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

I’m sorry, but likening Dick Durbin to “Dick Nixon” - most of us who didn’t know him personally call him Richard Nixon, but whatever - is bonkers. Obie inhabits his own, very strange, world. He’s not a credible candidate, and hasn’t operated his campaign as a credible candidate. Notice how anemic his spending is? Why should Durbin take him seriously? Just because the GOP nominated him and has failed to rally around and support him?

20. - Anonymous - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

- Demoralized - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

- VanillaMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

Durbin should have enough so there is nothing left of Oberweis.

Durbin is not any better. I am writing in a candidate because I will NEVER vote for Durbin. He is the worst. I don’t like Oberweis either.

I might hold my nose and vote for Quinn but NEVER Durbin.

21. - A guy... - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:37 pm:

3 sounds like the right number to me as well. Depending on who the moderators are, they could be helpful to a lot of voters.

22. - Anonymous - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

Durbin is no better then Oberweis. Durbin has said tons and tons of dopey and offensive things.

I don’t like Oberweis either.

23. - Sue - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

I hope one of the questions is “Sen Durbin- if the Dems lose the majority will you serve out your term?”

24. - Downstate - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

Senator Durbin will win all five of the debates I recommend that he do … and he can use some of his time to help define Rauner and thereby help the Quinn Campaign …

25. - Eloise - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

Just as many as Rahm is going to do with bi polar Bill Kelly ZERO!

26. - Gooner - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:44 pm:

Although I believe there is a good chance that in a debate Obie will make more ridiculous claims, helping to drag the whole GOP ticket down, I voted zero.

Durbin is up. There is no reason for the guy with the lead to debate. Obie knew that from the primary. I would be conservative and ignore the requests.

27. - wordslinger - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:46 pm:

–Also, Durbin is dishonest and will do anything for power. This is why he has changed his position on many major issues over the years. He is NO credibility and NO character and NO morals and/or ethics and NO principles and NO believes other then the worship of his own power.

I don’t like Oberweis either.–

Bet you’re fun at parties, lol.

28. - MrJM - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:53 pm:

I voted for three because four seemed too many and two seemed too few. (What can I say, I’m a deep thinker.)

– MrJM

29. - ZC - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

Two.

Normally three, but deduct one for Oberweis’s recent GOP primary hypocrisy on this topic (”What? Me debate?”) Deducting one is an inducement for future GOP challengers to actually practice what they preach.

30. - Anon - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:58 pm:

3 is a good number. Everyone has an “off day” - 3 debates gives them a good chance to show their stuff.

31. - Stones - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:02 pm:

I voted 0. He has more to lose than to win in a debate. Why give your opponent free publicity?

32. - Cook County Commoner - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:03 pm:

I voted “0.” I don’t care for political debates of any sort unless there is a panel of experts backed up by a super computer capable of fact checking on a split screen in real time as to assertions made by each candidate with citations to written materials for future reference.
    I’m interested in a candidates capacity to govern , which a debate doesn’t provide, in my view.
    I’d prefer in-depth, at least an hour, interviews of one candidate by a panel.

33. - Anon - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:22 pm:

One televised debate is 100% more than Oberweis agreed to with his last opponent. It’s extremely hypocritical for Oberweis to demand 600% more than he agreed to when he had a lead in the primary.

34. - Modest proposal - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

This seems like it is directed at the base. The words Conservative and Republican appear which is interesting because politicians from both sides of the aisle are dropping the political affiliation from their campaign materials. In a blue state he should be capturing indepndents and moderate Dems. Maybe I just think semantics are too important.

35. - Southpaw - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:40 pm:

Voted 2. Since I only get over the air tv I probably won’t see it anyway. Since they’re both politicians it won’t matter because their lips will be moving and everyone will know. If I were Oberweis, I would ask Durbin is there has been one thing that Obama has asked him to vote for that he hasn’t. Pretty well sums it up.

36. - bored now - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:43 pm:

i said 3. that’s a good fair number of debates…

37. - Belle - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:50 pm:

1-Since hardly anyone would watch no matter who was debating for Senator. It’s just not that interesting to most people.

38. - dupage dan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

I’m w/47th, only for the other side. The more I see of Durbin, the more I despise him. Sadly, I think I do not represent the majority of voters. Now, if we could just get Oberweis to wear a mask and not show up.

39. - Formerpol - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

None. Who in their right mind would watch this???

40. - Living in Machiaville - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:58 pm:

Voted more than 5. Candiates running for an office of such import deserve exposure in all parts of the state, preferrably live and televised. Their strengths and weaknesses should be put on full view.

41. - Robert the Bruce - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

3. And that should be the general standard for senate and governor races.

42. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

Part of me says three, or as many as Bruce Rauner will agree to.

Part of me says having Oberweis on TV every day would be a godsend.

43. - Archiesmom - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:35 pm:

None. Guy in front doesn’t need it, plus Durbin has all the cash in the world to take him out in ads (if Rauner leaves any ad time available).

44. - Count Floyd - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:43 pm:

Does anyone remember when Durbin said that Anita flipping Alavarez deserved a look for the Supreme Court of the United flipping States?!?

Snark aside I am amazed that there appears to be no political cost for such an amazingly stupid, pandering recommendation.

45. - outta dodge - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

He should addmit that he has long ago outlived his usefullness to the citizens of Illinois and go join his buddy on the golf course is

46. - Wensicia - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:58 pm:

Two is enough, I doubt the interest is there for more.

47. - Gooner - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 4:13 pm:

Some of the comments here regarding Durbin seem to go far beyond disagreeing with his policy.

There seems to be a lot of hatred expressed.

That’s interesting because of the elected officials I’ve known, Sen. Durbin is one of the most down to earth and nicest people I’ve met.

It would be nice if a few of you would step back and realize we are talking about an actual person, and treat him as such. Those comments say far more about the character of those making the comments than about the Senator.

* Amazon HQ2 site list unveiled
* Out of sight out of mind?
* Frerichs tries to use state investments to prod Facebook into cleaning up its act
* The rise of the billionaire governors
* Camelot promises to grow lottery sales by 40 percent
* Munger tries to defend Rauner veto of Debt Transparency Act
* Rauner: "I can’t comment on any business disputes"
* Rauner finally takes a stand on a federal issue
* Moody's says "political backlash" against pop tax could make other tax hikes more difficult
* Report: Amazon subsidy could add up to $2 billion
* *** UPDATED x1 *** 10,800 jobs lost in a single month, but Illinois media barely notices
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition
* MLB open thread

* Statehouse Insider: Will veto session show GOP .....
* Lawmakers set to return Tuesday for veto session..
* Statehouse Insider: Will veto session show GOP .....
* Statehouse Insider: Will veto session show GOP .....
* Rauner Outlines $200 Million in Cuts to Illinoi.....

* Chicago restaurant brawl leaves 3 with gunshot wounds
* Illinois city, county to implement domestic violence program
* Suburban neighborhood evacuated after gas explosions
* New Fort Wayne home planned for extensive Lincoln collection
* Peoria police officers to widely use body cameras by spring
* Cemetery won't allow mention of "rapist" priests at grave
* Lincoln museum exhibit features Christmas at the White House
* Voter advocates push Illinois to exit multistate database
* EXCHANGE: Encounter group spawns group of lifelong friends
* EXCHANGE: Woman finds meaning in helping animals in need

* Voter advocates push Illinois to exit multistate database
* Lawmakers set to return Tuesday for veto session
* Illinois Lottery's new manager projects $4B in sales
* UIS students could study at newly proposed Chicago research center
* Aaron Schock attorneys contest federal claims on misstatements
* Under the Dome Podcast: Will lawmakers address gun control during the veto session?
* Chicago lawyer announces bid for Illinois attorney general
* Illinois borrows $1.5B at reduced interest to pay down debt
* Rauner cuts human services, other area in state budget
* Pritzker makes list of richest Americans; Rauner releases tax returns

* Is Dem primary over? No, but Pritzker rivals need to pick up pace
* The biggest Chicago-area building sales
* Here are the sites Chicago is pitching to Amazon
* Emanuel's challenges are far from over
* Clarification

* Jewelry store robbed in Crystal Lake
* Illinois remains winless in Big Ten with loss to Minnesota
* Niklas Hjalmarsson starts new chapter of his career with Coyotes
* Funeral held for US soldier at center of Trump phone call fight
* Man, 28, shot in Lawndale
* Bobby Portis makes first public statement since punching Mirotic
* Fire damages McHenry County home, but no injuries reported
* Thorson’s TD lifts Northwestern past Iowa 17-10 in overtime
* Blackhawks not worried about succumbing to the ‘Vegas Flu’
* Round Lake Beach woman wins $200K lottery prize

* 1 dead, 5 wounded in Chicago shootings
* Silver medalist Evan Jager returns to Jacobs High - with Olympic gift
* EPA considers alternatives for West Calumet cleanup
* Cubs' shocking Chris Bosio firing a made-by-Joe Maddon production
* After the swift fall of Harvey Weinstein, Trump accusers wonder: Why not him?
* Justin Jackson's 'wow' play boosts Northwestern in OT victory over Iowa
* DeVos rescinds 72 guidance documents outlining rights for students with disabilities
* Editorial: Lincoln-Way schools owe residents answers, greater transparency
* Numbers game: Purdue dominates stats but can't rally past Rutgers
* Stage set for showdown between No. 11 USC, No. 13 Notre Dame

» Voter Advocates Push Illinois To Exit Multistate Database
» Lawmaker Says Facebook Refuses To Fact Check Ads
» State Week: Chasing Amazon, Bonding Debt
» Teaching Kids To ‘Say Something’ In An Era of School Shootings
» Illinois Issues: Cities Lose Out On Retail Tax As Online Shopping Booms
» What Could Hurt Chicago’s Bid For Amazon’s HQ2?
» At CPS, More Special Education Dollars Go To White, Wealthier Students
» Illinois Bond Sale To Help Pay $16bn Debts
» Mayor To Propose Higher Prices For Ridesharing, Big Concerts
» WBEZ Investigation: CPS Secretly Overhauled Special Education At Students’ Expense

* Young Philanthropists: Banding together to make a difference
* Voter advocates push Illinois to exit multistate database
* Statehouse Insider: Will veto session show GOP revolt?
* Lawmakers set to return Tuesday for veto session
* Guest Column: What taxpayers should demand from next attorney general
* Ed Rogers: The Democratic Party's obsession with Hollywood celebrities was bound to blow up
* Illinois Lottery's new manager projects $4B in sales
* Counterpoint: Updating antiquated systems will open door to transparency
* Point: Taxpayers deserve a better look at the state’s bills
* Thumbs Up: To recent acts of kindness in Springfield

* Road closure: Main Street at Grant for accident
* Lebanon firefighters called to the same address twice in one afternoon
* Class 1A Boys & Girls Regional Cross Country
* Reader photo: Ground control
* SIU researcher receives $80,000 grant to study disaster recovery in Houston
* SIUC researcher receives $80,000 grant to study disaster recovery in Houston
* Local Togolese rally in Rock Island
* Take a look inside Belleville’s newly renovated City Hall
* Belleville officially unveils $5 million City Hall renovations
* LIVE! Minnesota

* After big lull, suburban apartment construction has boomed since 2013
* Cross country: Naperville North, St. Charles East take team titles
* Meijer recalls store-brand packaged produce
* Glen Ellyn District 41 eyeing Spring Avenue rec center space
* How the College of DuPage could use the old Glen Ellyn police station

* Democratic 14th Congressional District can...
* GOP congressmen say Rauner 'let down' Illi...
* Bipartisan group of lawmakers pushes job t...
* Hundreds of high school students tour Smit...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* Measure extends term of FSOC independent m...
* Rival: Kinzinger not conservative - MyWebT...
* Helsinki Commission urges Erdogan to end p...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...
* Hultgren 'disappointed' about potential re...

* Senator Durbin Releases Report on Trump's ......

* Infrastructure a priority in meeting with ......

* Maryville Progress By Day and By Night
* Sarah Karp’s report on Forrest Claypool’s secret study, special ed service cuts and outrageous consultant fees. $15 million for proof reading?
* Inappropriate.
* Palatine para-professionals aren’t worth an 11 cent raise but they are too essential to allow them to strike.
* Keeping retirement weird. They don’t want to just end our defined benefit. They’re going after the defined contribution too. Shameless thieves.
* Do knee-jerk pols put any thought into votes they cast on govt. business?
* Chicago Design Week’s best events
* Illinois teacher retirees: What the hell is Walgreen’s up to?
* Raimondo and Rahm make an offer to Amazon. It’s a secret.
* The Chicago Trib’s scab columnist John Kass calls me a fanatic.

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Emonster sues Apple for violating Animoji trademark
* GitHub’s scandalized ex-CEO returns with Chatterbug
* How many HTC U11 Plus specs can fit in an evleaks tweet?
* Google will refund you if you overpaid for a Pixel 2 at a pop-up store
* Redesigning the TechCrunch app
* JerryRigEverything slams Pixel 2 durability
* Google Pixel 2: A Fantastic First Impression (Video)

* #AwardWorthy: Vote for Engel's glove
* Sporcle Saturday: Long bombs
* Petricka undergoes surgery on right elbow
* Avisail sees similarities in rebuild, stellar year
* White Sox Arizona Fall League overview
* Ron Gardenhire’s second chance back in AL Central
* Jimenez among prospects in winter leagues