* Public Integrity has compiled a list of the top 50 campaign contributors to state political races last year…
1. Republican Governors Association - A national group that advocates for the election of Republican governors.
2. Democratic Governors Association - A national group that advocates for the election of Democratic governors.
3. Charlie Crist campaign committee - The campaign committee of Florida’s unsuccessful Democratic gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist.
4. Let’s Get To Work - Political action committee affiliated with Republican Florida Gov. Rick Scott and funded largely by the Republican Governors Association.
5. NextGen Climate Action Committee - A national group run by billionaire hedge fund manager Tom Steyer that backs pro-environment candidates and groups.
6. American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees - A national labor union that represents government employees.
7. Bruce and Diana Rauner - Newly elected Republican governor of Illinois, who made his fortune in private equity, and his wife.
$14.4 million […]
10. Tom and Frances Wolf - Newly elected Democratic governor of Pennsylvania and kitchen cabinet magnate.
$10 million […]
15. Ken Griffin and Anne Dias Griffin - Conservative billionaire hedge fund manager and his soon-to-be ex-wife, also a hedge fund manager.
$7.5 million […]
29. Illinois Education Association - The Illinois chapter of the National Education Association, a labor union that represents public school employees.
$4.6 million […]
40. Bruce Rauner campaign committee - The campaign of the newly elected Republican governor of Illinois.
$4.1 million […]
43. Illinois Democratic Party - State branch of the Democratic Party.
The RGA and DGA both played a major role in Illinois as well, of course.