Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Yes, there are plenty of people to replace Kirk
Yes, there are plenty of people to replace Kirk

Friday, Jul 31, 2015

* John Fund writes in the National Review that the Illinois Republicans could easily find somebody to replace US Sen. Mark Kirk if he stepped aside

The Illinois Republican bench includes Congressman Adam Kinzinger, an Iraq War veteran in Kirk’s moderate mold, Republican National Committeewoman Demetra DeMonte, former Representative Joe Walsh, and Jason Plummer, a 2010 candidate for lieutenant governor.

I like Kinzinger, but he is pro-gun, pro-life and anti-gay rights. He may be a “moderate” in DC, but not statewide here.

* Illinois Review recently profiled Demetra DeMonte,…

Speaking at Tuesday night’s meeting of the LaSalle County Tea Party Republican National Committeewoman, and former RNC Secretary Demetra DeMonte took a question from the audience about the conservative base of the Republican Party. The questioner expressed anger with GOP leadership who continually lie to get elected and make big promises only to do nothing once they get to Washington, and worse.

DeMonte said that she shares those concerns and wants to see the Republican Party embrace conservatives more.

“I know your frustration,” DeMonte said.

As one of Illinois members to the Republican National Committee, DeMonte has helped get the RNC to take policy stand to help fight against Common Core, earmarks, and defend religious liberties.

DeMonte understands why people are attracted to the message Donald Trump has been offering as a Presidential candidate. Note: DeMonte is not endorsing any candidate at this point in time.

She also is a fan of Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin.

Joe Walsh? Yeah, that’ll work.

And I mainly just posted this excerpt to see your reaction to the Jason Plummer idea. We haven’t had him in the barrel in quite a while.

Have at it…

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:37 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Ugh, is this that state Senate or the one on the West Coast in Washington? #Geography

2. - Politix - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:37 am:

I’m surprised Aaron Schock isn’t on the list.

3. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:39 am:

I just don’t see the Repubs holding this seat in 2016. Whether it’s Kirk, Plummer, or especially Walsh - but that should go without saying.

4. - Anon - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:39 am:

this is awesome. Friday hashtag fun!!!

5. - Happy Gun Owner - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:40 am:

I would love to see Kirk resign and have Demetra be appointed to the seat. But it makes too much sense, so it will never happen.

6. - @MisterJayEm - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:40 am:

– MrJM

7. - Fake Ron Sandack - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:41 am:

@FakeRonSandack would demolish @FakeJasonPlummer in the primary.

That this is jes’ sayin’ goes without saying.

8. - LincolnLounger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:43 am:

John Fund just illustrated to the world what an idiot he is.

9. - chi - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:45 am:

Jim Durkin would be viable- Rauner would probably help this along too in order to get someone more Raunerish in there.

10. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:46 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - I got my resume all cleaned up. No more crayons, now it’s the smelly markers! #TheNoseKnows

@FakeJasonPlummer - I’d run, sure, but it’s that every two years running and the gerrymandering that scares me #TheCongressionalSenator

@FakeJasonPlummer - I’m going to follow the model of Evelyn Sanguinetti and just trip on sue someone to win statewide #BraceYourselvesForTheNeckBrace

@FakeJasonPlummer - the world has changed so much since I last ran for office. I can’t gibe one real example, but it’s sounds like I’m paying attention when I say it #Oblivious

11. - Team Sleep - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:46 am:

Shut up, National Review.

Mark Kirk is a survivor and, more importantly, a winner. He has survived numerous tough elections.

I don’t know if the national conservative “activists” understand this, but you have to win elections. Trotting out another Christine O’Donnell or Sharron Angle isn’t how you win statewide elections in a purple state that is certainly more blue-purple (blurple?!) in presidential election cycles.

I want Congressman Kinzinger to stay put and keep climbing the leadership ladder. He’s really more of Aaron Schock should’ve been than Aaron Schock was. Kinzinger has too much potential.

12. - Wordslinger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:47 am:

Who is “conservative publisher Jameson Campaigne?” Does he publish something in Illinois?

The google comes up with a former editor of the Indy Star who died in 1985.

I’m not saying quoting a dude who’s been dead for 30 years, is not Fund’s style, but could it be someone else?

13. - Centennial - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:47 am:

- Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:39 am: — Sorry that was me.

Although I stand corrected. I think Jim Durkin would be a decent candidate.

14. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:50 am:

===Rauner would probably help this along too in order to get someone more Raunerish in there. ===

LOL

First, Rauner is with Kirk, so stop being ridiculous.

Second, Durkin has done everything asked of him by Rauner and more, so, again, stop being ridiculous.

Third, Durkin already did that statewide thing and failed. His immediate predecessor just ran statewide and failed in a big GOP year. He ain’t doing it again, so please, once again, stop being ridiculous.

15. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:54 am:

==reaction to the Jason Plummer idea==
    I really don’t think his Dad wants him to go 0-for-3. Besides, they need someone to install popcorn machines at all of the lumber stores.

16. - Robert the Bruce - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:55 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Just heard Senate term is 6 years! Wow, way too long, I’ll be like, hang on, well, like really old when it ends.

@FakeJasonPlummer - You think they have M&Ms in Congress too?

17. - Robert the Bruce - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:55 am:

(with apologies to OW. I’m not worthy I know).

18. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:58 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Dad says even he can’t protect me from Mr. Rauner, but I still think my dad can probably beat Mr. Rauner up. #TheMoneyPlayground

@FakeJasonPlummer - my life has changed too since I last ran. I figured out the nickname FUBAR wasn’t too Kool to have in the Navy #BulliedBully

@FakeJasonPlummer - in Intellegence, I get to read really kool reports, and maps, and numbers, and if I understood it, that would make it kooler #OverMyMelon

@FakeJasonPlummer - if I run, yeah, I could speak eloquently. I learned words that sound so pretty some I actually looked up #MeaninglessMeanings

@FakeJasonPlummer - I don’t have 16 months to waste anymore to run for office. That’s like two seasons of BattleBots wasted. No thank you. #Priorites

@FakeJasonPlummer - ok, enough Congressman Duckworth. I’ll think about it. #LotsOfSupport

19. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:58 am:

Well, Keyes might well be available, and David Duke is usually willing to step up

20. - Team Sleep - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:58 am:

All kidding about Jason aside, he is now married and I would bet that he is not likely to run for anything unless it is at the municipal or county level (which should have been his first choice all along).

21. - chi - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:58 am:

This was the hypo I was responding too:
    =On a serious note: Are who are the electable GOP candidates who could step in if Kirk stepped aside?=

So first, in that hypo, Rauner’s alliance with Kirk is not at issue.

Second, does anyone question that Rauner’s and Durkin’s ideologies diverge on a lot of issues? And that while they aren’t enemies by an stretch, that both might be more comfortable a little farther outside of each other’s sphere of influence?

Third, if the requirement for a viable GOP candidate is that they have previously won statewide office, well I guess we can pretend Jim Edgar is coming to save the day again.

22. - Wensicia - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:59 am:

I can’t see anyone wasting money on Walsh.

23. - Not Alan Keyes - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:00 am:

I believe the gop will realize the replacement needs to happen…. When it’s too late. Kirk won’t have a volunteer base. I like mark a lot…. Just a sad reality.

24. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:00 am:

What, no Andy Martin? \s

25. - thunderspirit - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:05 am:

As entertaining as a Joe Walsh-for-Senate campaign might be to me personally — watching him self-destruct would elicit plenty of schadenfreude from me — I find it extremely unlikely that Senator Kirk would “step aside” to appease the national conservatives.

Nor should he, frankly, unless his health has deteriorated significantly and/or he doesn’t want to seek reelection.

26. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:07 am:

To the Post,

When you’re down to “Walsh, Plummer,…” as “viable” you aren’t anywhere.

Kirk and Rauner. That’s it. Get over it. It’s a small window for walking ATMs to think they can get at Rauner, through Kirk, but as we saw, that isn’t going to work.

I’m with Kirk. Stop with the irrelevants thinking they “know” what’s best.

What’s best is rallying around Senator Kirk. Rauner is fulfilling his role, and paying back. All good.

27. - Precinct Captain - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:08 am:

Kinzinger is probably listed as a moderate because he’s not rabidly anti-Boehner.

28. - Anon - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:11 am:

Dold would win if he ran. He has ran the kind of race it takes to win as a moderate in a heavy dem district.

29. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:15 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - of each state has 2 senators, I get that, but how do they come up with 100, that’s an odd number. #NoMathPlease

@FakeJasonPlummer - I heard senators get these old, old, desks on the senate floor and you write in them your name. Not me! I got detention last time & learned my lesson #AfterSchoolSpecial

@FakeJasonPlummer - it would be nice to belong to a gym again. I promise not to steal towels again. #Dumbells

@FakeJasonPlummer - They call the senate the most exclusive club on earth. Meh, try joining my Power Rangers chapter. Way harder #TestingAndCostumeCritera

30. - From the 'Dale to HP - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:15 am:

What about Roskam? Beat Tammy once…

31. - The Valour Nail - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:16 am:

Plummer is a candidate that even Duckworth can steamroll

32. - Arizona Bob - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:16 am:

I’m a little surprised that Peter Roskam wasn’t mentioned on the list. He’s been in House leadership, doesn’t have a lot of negatives, and certainly could be considered ‘moderate” by anyone other than the most rabid liberal.

33. - Louis G. Atsaves - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:22 am:

Mark Kirk who has won 6-7 elections in a row? Mark Kirk who has never lost an election? Against the “formidable” Duckworth who is a lackluster campaigner and after losing to Roskam won a district specially gerrymandered just for her?

With all the fake hullabaloo over this, my preference is that Kirk be replaced by Kirk and the loud mouthed phonies that feel otherwise be ignored.

34. - AJ_yooper - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:27 am:

Kinzinger is a carpet bagger; he moved from Bloomington to Manteno to Rockford area to become and stay a congressman. He is handsome and single and appeared to be on good terms with Adam S.

35. - MurMan - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:28 am:

I think Rep. Dold has best chance of competing against Duckworth. If Kirk stepped aside I’d think he would run for Senate, but that’s just my thoughts. Since he wasn’t mentioned in this post though, maybe I’m missing something.

36. - Wordslinger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:30 am:

Wow, AJ, that’s so clever and subtle. Almost went right over my head.

37. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:31 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - this is statewide? Thank goodness. Hiding in that congress race thingy was too constricting in my hiding. #PeekABooWeCantFindYou

@FakeJasonPlummer - I can be in compliance with the SEC rules, sure, it’s the Big 10 or ACC that would be a problem #ConferenceComprehension

@FakeJasonPlummer - Dad said now that all these years, all these years passed, no one will remember my miscues. Like going from HS to College. Dad is wise #GetSkooledAgain

@FakeJasonPlummer - if I time this just right, I’ll get to go to DuQuoin and the State fair 2 times each. That’s like 5 fairs or something. #CottonCandyOnTheBrain

@FakeJasonPlummer - Mr. Ponce, I will come on your show, but only if you give me the questions and the right answers beforehand. #OneFairDemand

38. - Team Sleep - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:33 am:

MurMan - why give up the best candidate in IL-10?! That district will be a toss up until redistricting comes about.

39. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:36 am:

Please feel free to run any of the aforementioned.

LOL.

40. - illini - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:36 am:

Willy @FakeJasonPlummer you outdid yourself again today. Wish I could come even close to matching your gems.

I do miss Jason - he was always good for a laugh. Maybe we will hear more from him. Could make for another interesting campaign.

41. - @MisterJayEm - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:37 am:

Pete Roskam is a good answer. (But Bob’s characterization of Roskam as a “moderate” is objectively bananas.)

– MrJM

42. - Not Alan Keyes - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:38 am:

Hello Roskam staff! Jk. He’s good just for some reason not well liked in the delegation I’m told

43. - Streeter7 - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:39 am:

I’m open to the Jason Plummer idea. He’s a strategic thinker and his business acumen is sharp. He’s got energy to burn.

44. - Bill White - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:41 am:

Why would Peter Roskam trade a perfectly safe US House seat for a contested US Senate race in a presidential year?

45. - MurMan - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:41 am:

Louis, I think you underestimate Duckworth. Her bio wins over independents and undecideds. She has a large lead over Kirk in all the polling I’ve seen. A lot can happen between now and Nov 2016, but given the presidential year and the demographics of IL smart money would bet on Duckworth. She is favored regardless of who she faces from the GOO. Kirk is taking heat because he is making a bunch of verbal gaffes in a race where he can’t make any mistakes. If he was favored in the race you wouldn’t see so much heat coming from GOP. It’s not that his detractors in the GOP are Kirk haters. It’s that they see the writing on the wall. Dems are in strong position to win the seat back

46. - Applecity - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:43 am:

Please say it’s Jason plummet he is the best!!!!!

47. - MurMan - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:44 am:

Team Sleep, I agree that without Dold, Dems take the 10th back, but without the 10th, GOP still has control of the House. Without IL senate seat, however, GOP most likely losses control of the senate. IL senate seat is most important GOP election in 2016 besides presidential of course

48. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:44 am:

Why not truax. I preferred him in 2014 and still do.

49. - Not Alan Keyes - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:45 am:

AJ were you really subtly implying Kinzinger and Schock were together? That’s outrageous

50. - AJ_yooper - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:45 am:

Sorry Wordslinger. I mean he is like Adam S–handsome, media fav, very conservative, a darling of donors. The supposed innuendo was not intended. That doesn’t matter to me.

51. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:46 am:

- Robert the Bruce - it’s all good, Jason is rascal. Kudos.

- illini -, thanks. Maybe we need to ring Mr. Plummer’s door bell and ask if Jason will come out and play? Couldn’t hurt(?)

@FakeJasonPlummer - let me say @FakeRonSandack may be better and everything, but, I’m taller, and that’s how I measure my politicians #TyWebb

52. - From the 'Dale to HP - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:48 am:

Doubt he does it/Rauner wants him, but Dillard would be an interesting name too.

53. - Wordslinger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:49 am:

Sure, AJ, whatever you say.

54. - Aschockedobserver - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:58 am:

Blueroomstream just had a vid with w j kelly talking about maybe running for senate. lol

55. - illini - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:59 am:

Willy - I know where he lives. When do you want to go?

56. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:09 pm:

- illini -, I’m hoping to fly under the radar, you know, hoping the Plummer family forgot all about me. What’s help has been the curbing of Internet time for Jason, so I pick my spots.

Is there a place to get Cannoli close to Jason’s house? That might tip the scales…

@FakeJasonPlummer - being a Navy man, in Intellegence, I know how having the best info can lead to good decisions. Yep, now, now I learned that #YesterdayAndToday

57. - Sunshine - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:17 pm:

Jason Plummer…..isn’t he OW’s close personal friend? I seem to recall when he was running OW was very kind and supportive of him?

58. - illini - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:18 pm:

Willy - there are many exceptional restaurants in the Edwardsville - Glen Carbon area. I’ll ask friends to see who has the best Cannoli.

59. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:32 pm:

- Sunshine -,

No one, outside of the Plumner Family, would support Jason re-entering Illinois politics. I’m a big fan of any Jason Plummer campaign.

- illini -, I’ll be in touch. If I were you, I’d let me go to the door alone, at first.

@FakeJasonPlummer - if I announce now, it will be like extending summer for like a long time. People have to listen to me again at dinners too. #SpotlightTooBright

60. - the old man - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:33 pm:

DeMonte DOES NOT speak for the GOP I know and love, she is phoney and the sooner she is gone the better.

61. - Blago's Luxurious Grey Mane - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:33 pm:

Yes, because Dillard showed what a great fundraiser he was.

62. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:35 pm:

Ugh…

“No one, outside of the Plumner Family, would support Jason re-entering Illinois politics more than me! I’m a big fan of any Jason Plummer campaign.”

I pulled a “Mike Noland”

63. - Sunshine - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:37 pm:

OW….with you 100% on that!! Always have been.

Don’t let up!

64. - illini - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:37 pm:

Willy, you can take the lead any time!

65. - Arsenal - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:41 pm:

66. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:46 pm:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Please stop with the “Draft Jason Plummer” stuff. Stop. I already enlisted in the Navy & I’m an officer. Duh. Pay attention. #SonThereAintNoDraft

@FakeJasonPlummer - ok, y’all mean draft as to get me to run, my bad. Is there a draft board and do I have to pass a physical? Where is the boot camp #StillMissingThePoint

@FakeJasonPlumner - last time I ran fro the Congress’s, I got shiots for that Potomac Fever. My arm swelled up like a balloon! #MedicallySpeaking

67. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:48 pm:

DeMonte. Gidwitz. Crains and Illinois review. Same week?

68. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:51 pm:

===That we’re even still talking about this hurts Kirk, but not enough. He remains the Republicans’ best chance at keeping that seat.===

Agreed on all counts.

Being August (tomorrow) and the avalanche of support that came out to rebuff Gidwitz, hopefully that will be enough to get things silenced and allow the building the Kirk Crew needs to do.

If this was erupting as petitions were circulating, it would be far more problematic, but it’s still annoying right now all the same.

69. - Wordslinger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 1:01 pm:

I would guess that John Fund and National Review’s influence in this matter is somewhere around “zero.”

70. - Michael Westen - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 1:13 pm:

I say Oberweis. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again.

71. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 1:16 pm:

@FakeJasonPlummer - told dad I need $45 million, from him, to run for Senate, given to me b4, of course. He said to get me out of his hair, he won’t pay more than $25 million #Value

72. - A guy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 1:17 pm:

Can only add this:

“that Jason Plummer sure brings folks together” lol.

73. - Clark Kent - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 2:57 pm:

Mimicking Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off…..”Oberweis?…Oberweis?…Anyone?…Anyone?”

74. - steve schnorf - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 3:05 pm:

The plummer family might be telling Jason what Joe told Jack. As to Sen Oberweis, I think he’s becoming a pretty good state senator and I would like to keep him around here if possible

* Open thread 2
* Open thread
* DHS slammed after care disrupted for "thousands" of mentally ill
* Mendoza wants emergency Deloitte contract review
* The plot thickens on Rauner's AV
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Important update and a supplement to today’s edition
* Frerichs: Don't use new federal rules on 529 programs for state taxes
* "Watchdog" flatly denies getting money from Illinois Policy Institute, but group funded 98 percent of budget
* Governor promised "superstar" appointee a year ago, hasn't delivered
* Chicago survives the first cut in Amazon HQ2 sweepstakes
* Rauner to air entire Blagojevich/Pritzker audio this weekend
* Adlai III endorses Biss

* Historian: Illinois State Armory building disre.....
* Anita Alvarez's campaign consultants gave her t.....
* Slowik: Area lawmakers fight to save funding fo.....
* Rauner to air ad of Pritzker, Blagojevich on wi.....
* Rauner says he'll order state lawmakers to stop.....
* Illinois governor to air ad of rival, Blagojevi.....
* Daiber says he’d govern all of Illinois, would .....
* Rauner spending $11,900 to air Pritzker-Blagoje.....
* Under the Dome: More Blago wiretapped conversat.....
* Illinois treasurer cites private tuition restri.....

* Officer's lawyers plan change of venue poll in McDonald case
* Illinois man pleads guilty in 1985 death of 15-year-old girl
* Indiana State Police join 4-state human trafficking campaign
* Citing police torture, judge orders convicted murderer freed
* Indiana officials say they won't go overboard to woo Amazon
* Citing police torture, judge orders convicted murderer freed
* 80-year-old accused of bank robbery has decades-old record
* Canada chasing 5th straight Olympic gold under former player
* Champaign man pleads guilty in teen's 1985 assault, stabbing
* Illinois school officials seek double state education aid

* U of I trustees approve 4th-straight tuition freeze
* Rauner to air extended ad of Pritzker, Blagojevich on wiretap
* Mendoza to keynote Women's March Saturday in Springfield
* Chicago mayor vows to step up Amazon second headquarters bid
* Under the Dome Podcast: More Blago-Pritzker talk, Rauner confirms Duke is racist
* U of I withdrew 35 job offers after background checks
* Frerichs: Can't get tax break for using college savings plan on private K-12 tuition
* Illinois governor to air extended ad of rival, Blagojevich on wiretap
* Chicago a finalist for Amazon's second headquarters
* 2 Illinois governor candidates spend $26M in last 3 months

* Emanuel, Rauner clash in wake of Amazon news
* Data center company sues Aurora over telecom tower
* Here's how the 20 HQ2 contenders stack up
* Here's how the 20 HQ2 wannabes stack up
* Chicago wins American HQ of Britain's JLT

* Aldermen seek to give women a forum to tell their sexual harassment stories
* 15-year-old boy shot multiple times after answering front door of Lawndale home
* Pope shocks Chile by accusing sex abuse victims of slander
* Cook County reaches 13 cold-related deaths this season
* All eyes on Patriots QB Tom Brady as he misses practice with hand injury
* MLB players reject pitch clock, mound limits, daring baseball to impose changes
* NBA All-Star Kevin Durant scores vintage tees at ‘Boneyard’ in West Town
* Man, teenage girl shot while stopped at stop sign in Austin
* Person in custody after setting fire to book bag on Red Line train
* ‘Forever My Girl’ a romantic refrain you’ve heard before

* Bears offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich sees Mitch Trubisky as coachable, accurate
* Amazon HQ2 contenders include Chicago; Rauner, Emanuel react by trading jabs
* Chicago's competition: A look at the 20 bids for Amazon's HQ2
* Chicago made Amazon’s short list. There’s still plenty of competition.
* Los Angeles Times publisher under investigation by parent company over alleged misconduct
* Man on CTA Red Line threw chemicals on woman before he set train car ablaze
* Man convicted in Kane County murder 20 years ago now on trial for armed robbery
* Torture was 'severe, pervasive, prolonged' in house where California parents starved their 13 children
* At Larry Nassar sentencing hearing, a parade of horror and catharsis
* All eyes on Tom Brady as he misses practice with hand injury

» Sheriff Offers To Help Review Police Shootings In Suburban Cook County
» A Prescription For Fruits And Veggies: One Solution To Food Insecurity in Illinois
» A Call For Transparency
» 2 Illinois Governor Candidates Spend $26M In Last 3 Months
» State Board of Education: Double School Funding Now
» Lawmakers Demand Fast Internet For Rural Schools
» 2 Dreamers Discuss Helping Other Immigrants Amid Uncertainty
» Rauner Spokesman: 'Governor Believes David Duke Is A Racist'
» Rauner Signs Law To Help Women Behind Bars
» A Poor Neighborhood In Chicago Looks To Cuba To Fight Infant Mortality

* Point: Trump's stance gives hope to an Iranian majority that longs for freedom
* Counterpoint: Trump's assertive policies rally Iranian support for the Ayatollahs
* Thumbs Up: To investing in infrastructure
* Eugene Robinson: An administration with no credibility cannot lead
* U of I trustees approve 4th-straight tuition freeze
* Rauner to air extended ad of Pritzker, Blagojevich on wiretap
* Mendoza to keynote Women's March Saturday in Springfield
* Chicago mayor vows to step up Amazon second headquarters bid
* U of I withdrew 35 job offers after background checks

* Bill to abolish tenure in Iowa ‘on life support’
* Coulterville man dead in head-on crash that closed Illinois 15 in Washington County for almost 5 hours
* Chance meeting gives Herrin boy with diabetes confidence to help himself, others
* Skating, falling at Frozen Landing
* St. Clair County offered $700 million in tax incentives in failed bid for Amazon HQ2
* Here's how cheddar popcorn is made at Abe's Gourmet Popcorn in Belleville
* Former Gilman clerk facing theft charge
* Lawyer for man charged in Pravin Varughese death files motion to move trial out of Jackson Co.; state plans to object
* Legal clinic in Cairo helps clean up criminal records in effort to allow access to jobs, housing
* 'We can all help empower each other,' Quad-Cities Women's March organizer says

* Wheaton Academy coach shares Arena Football memories with new Bears coach Nagy
* Rauner says he'll order state lawmakers to stop handling tax appeals
* New Trump office would protect conscience rights of doctors
* Titans kick off coaching search interviewing Vrabel, Wilks
* Daiber says he'd govern all of Illinois, would be fair but not 'overgenerous' to unions

* Kane County assessor: No guarantee your ta...
* This RSS feed URL is deprecated
* Bipartisan Illinois criticism follows Trum...
* Letter: Talk to tax preparer about GOP tax...
* Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and...
* Lawmakers back renaming Warrenville post o...
* Teacher raised in Yorkville running agains...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...
* Suburban Democrats line up to challenge Ro...
* Tioga State Bank president and CEO address...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* House votes to avert federal shutdown, Sen......

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* IL lawmaker delivers speech after returnin......

* Gov rejects handing more powers over to McHenry County Bd Chairman
* Rauner calls for bill to ban Madigan from appealing property taxes
* New IR Poll: Who will win Illinois' 2018 Democrat Party gubernatorial primary?
* Thorner: Chicago celebrates life in single digit temps
* Illinois Review poll draws attention as Ives supporters outnumber Rauner's
* Thorner/O'Neil: Social Engineering: Transferring Parental Control of Children to Teachers
* Former Rauner staffer seeks public access to First Lady's emails about abortion bill
* Chicago alderman tees off about illegal immigrants on Tucker Carlson
* State Rep. McSweeney endorses Ives over "failed Governor" Rauner
* National conservative commentator Bill Whittle endorses Jeanne Ives

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* ZTE gets an Android 8.1 phone certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance
* Samsung patents fix “The Notch,” iPhone performance boost & more – Pocketnow Daily
* So far, Fuchsia OS looks good on a Pixelbook
* Project Linda could launch with Razer Phone sequel in September
* Europe sees discounts for Honor 9, Honor 6A
* Deals: Free Four Month Apple Music Subscription, $4 Movie Tickets for T-Mobile Users, VAVA Dash Cam, and More
* Verizon to distribute NBA out-of-market games, collaborate with media package

* Inbox: Who replaces Rodon in the rotation?
* 2018 South Side Sox Hall of Fame Ballot
* With maturity comes lofty expectations for Eloy
* Collins ranked MLB's No. 9 catching prospect
* With maturity comes lofty expectations for Eloy
* Pirates rebuild not met with enthusiasm
* Moncada guiding Robert during mini-camp