Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Yes, there are plenty of people to replace Kirk
Yes, there are plenty of people to replace Kirk

Friday, Jul 31, 2015

* John Fund writes in the National Review that the Illinois Republicans could easily find somebody to replace US Sen. Mark Kirk if he stepped aside

The Illinois Republican bench includes Congressman Adam Kinzinger, an Iraq War veteran in Kirk’s moderate mold, Republican National Committeewoman Demetra DeMonte, former Representative Joe Walsh, and Jason Plummer, a 2010 candidate for lieutenant governor.

I like Kinzinger, but he is pro-gun, pro-life and anti-gay rights. He may be a “moderate” in DC, but not statewide here.

* Illinois Review recently profiled Demetra DeMonte,…

Speaking at Tuesday night’s meeting of the LaSalle County Tea Party Republican National Committeewoman, and former RNC Secretary Demetra DeMonte took a question from the audience about the conservative base of the Republican Party. The questioner expressed anger with GOP leadership who continually lie to get elected and make big promises only to do nothing once they get to Washington, and worse.

DeMonte said that she shares those concerns and wants to see the Republican Party embrace conservatives more.

“I know your frustration,” DeMonte said.

As one of Illinois members to the Republican National Committee, DeMonte has helped get the RNC to take policy stand to help fight against Common Core, earmarks, and defend religious liberties.

DeMonte understands why people are attracted to the message Donald Trump has been offering as a Presidential candidate. Note: DeMonte is not endorsing any candidate at this point in time.

She also is a fan of Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin.

Joe Walsh? Yeah, that’ll work.

And I mainly just posted this excerpt to see your reaction to the Jason Plummer idea. We haven’t had him in the barrel in quite a while.

Have at it…

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:37 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Ugh, is this that state Senate or the one on the West Coast in Washington? #Geography

2. - Politix - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:37 am:

I’m surprised Aaron Schock isn’t on the list.

3. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:39 am:

I just don’t see the Repubs holding this seat in 2016. Whether it’s Kirk, Plummer, or especially Walsh - but that should go without saying.

4. - Anon - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:39 am:

this is awesome. Friday hashtag fun!!!

5. - Happy Gun Owner - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:40 am:

I would love to see Kirk resign and have Demetra be appointed to the seat. But it makes too much sense, so it will never happen.

6. - @MisterJayEm - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:40 am:

– MrJM

7. - Fake Ron Sandack - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:41 am:

@FakeRonSandack would demolish @FakeJasonPlummer in the primary.

That this is jes’ sayin’ goes without saying.

8. - LincolnLounger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:43 am:

John Fund just illustrated to the world what an idiot he is.

9. - chi - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:45 am:

Jim Durkin would be viable- Rauner would probably help this along too in order to get someone more Raunerish in there.

10. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:46 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - I got my resume all cleaned up. No more crayons, now it’s the smelly markers! #TheNoseKnows

@FakeJasonPlummer - I’d run, sure, but it’s that every two years running and the gerrymandering that scares me #TheCongressionalSenator

@FakeJasonPlummer - I’m going to follow the model of Evelyn Sanguinetti and just trip on sue someone to win statewide #BraceYourselvesForTheNeckBrace

@FakeJasonPlummer - the world has changed so much since I last ran for office. I can’t gibe one real example, but it’s sounds like I’m paying attention when I say it #Oblivious

11. - Team Sleep - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:46 am:

Shut up, National Review.

Mark Kirk is a survivor and, more importantly, a winner. He has survived numerous tough elections.

I don’t know if the national conservative “activists” understand this, but you have to win elections. Trotting out another Christine O’Donnell or Sharron Angle isn’t how you win statewide elections in a purple state that is certainly more blue-purple (blurple?!) in presidential election cycles.

I want Congressman Kinzinger to stay put and keep climbing the leadership ladder. He’s really more of Aaron Schock should’ve been than Aaron Schock was. Kinzinger has too much potential.

12. - Wordslinger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:47 am:

Who is “conservative publisher Jameson Campaigne?” Does he publish something in Illinois?

The google comes up with a former editor of the Indy Star who died in 1985.

I’m not saying quoting a dude who’s been dead for 30 years, is not Fund’s style, but could it be someone else?

13. - Centennial - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:47 am:

- Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:39 am: — Sorry that was me.

Although I stand corrected. I think Jim Durkin would be a decent candidate.

14. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:50 am:

===Rauner would probably help this along too in order to get someone more Raunerish in there. ===

LOL

First, Rauner is with Kirk, so stop being ridiculous.

Second, Durkin has done everything asked of him by Rauner and more, so, again, stop being ridiculous.

Third, Durkin already did that statewide thing and failed. His immediate predecessor just ran statewide and failed in a big GOP year. He ain’t doing it again, so please, once again, stop being ridiculous.

15. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:54 am:

==reaction to the Jason Plummer idea==
    I really don’t think his Dad wants him to go 0-for-3. Besides, they need someone to install popcorn machines at all of the lumber stores.

16. - Robert the Bruce - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:55 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Just heard Senate term is 6 years! Wow, way too long, I’ll be like, hang on, well, like really old when it ends.

@FakeJasonPlummer - You think they have M&Ms in Congress too?

17. - Robert the Bruce - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:55 am:

(with apologies to OW. I’m not worthy I know).

18. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:58 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Dad says even he can’t protect me from Mr. Rauner, but I still think my dad can probably beat Mr. Rauner up. #TheMoneyPlayground

@FakeJasonPlummer - my life has changed too since I last ran. I figured out the nickname FUBAR wasn’t too Kool to have in the Navy #BulliedBully

@FakeJasonPlummer - in Intellegence, I get to read really kool reports, and maps, and numbers, and if I understood it, that would make it kooler #OverMyMelon

@FakeJasonPlummer - if I run, yeah, I could speak eloquently. I learned words that sound so pretty some I actually looked up #MeaninglessMeanings

@FakeJasonPlummer - I don’t have 16 months to waste anymore to run for office. That’s like two seasons of BattleBots wasted. No thank you. #Priorites

@FakeJasonPlummer - ok, enough Congressman Duckworth. I’ll think about it. #LotsOfSupport

19. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:58 am:

Well, Keyes might well be available, and David Duke is usually willing to step up

20. - Team Sleep - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:58 am:

All kidding about Jason aside, he is now married and I would bet that he is not likely to run for anything unless it is at the municipal or county level (which should have been his first choice all along).

21. - chi - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:58 am:

This was the hypo I was responding too:
    =On a serious note: Are who are the electable GOP candidates who could step in if Kirk stepped aside?=

So first, in that hypo, Rauner’s alliance with Kirk is not at issue.

Second, does anyone question that Rauner’s and Durkin’s ideologies diverge on a lot of issues? And that while they aren’t enemies by an stretch, that both might be more comfortable a little farther outside of each other’s sphere of influence?

Third, if the requirement for a viable GOP candidate is that they have previously won statewide office, well I guess we can pretend Jim Edgar is coming to save the day again.

22. - Wensicia - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 10:59 am:

I can’t see anyone wasting money on Walsh.

23. - Not Alan Keyes - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:00 am:

I believe the gop will realize the replacement needs to happen…. When it’s too late. Kirk won’t have a volunteer base. I like mark a lot…. Just a sad reality.

24. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:00 am:

What, no Andy Martin? \s

25. - thunderspirit - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:05 am:

As entertaining as a Joe Walsh-for-Senate campaign might be to me personally — watching him self-destruct would elicit plenty of schadenfreude from me — I find it extremely unlikely that Senator Kirk would “step aside” to appease the national conservatives.

Nor should he, frankly, unless his health has deteriorated significantly and/or he doesn’t want to seek reelection.

26. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:07 am:

To the Post,

When you’re down to “Walsh, Plummer,…” as “viable” you aren’t anywhere.

Kirk and Rauner. That’s it. Get over it. It’s a small window for walking ATMs to think they can get at Rauner, through Kirk, but as we saw, that isn’t going to work.

I’m with Kirk. Stop with the irrelevants thinking they “know” what’s best.

What’s best is rallying around Senator Kirk. Rauner is fulfilling his role, and paying back. All good.

27. - Precinct Captain - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:08 am:

Kinzinger is probably listed as a moderate because he’s not rabidly anti-Boehner.

28. - Anon - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:11 am:

Dold would win if he ran. He has ran the kind of race it takes to win as a moderate in a heavy dem district.

29. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:15 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - of each state has 2 senators, I get that, but how do they come up with 100, that’s an odd number. #NoMathPlease

@FakeJasonPlummer - I heard senators get these old, old, desks on the senate floor and you write in them your name. Not me! I got detention last time & learned my lesson #AfterSchoolSpecial

@FakeJasonPlummer - it would be nice to belong to a gym again. I promise not to steal towels again. #Dumbells

@FakeJasonPlummer - They call the senate the most exclusive club on earth. Meh, try joining my Power Rangers chapter. Way harder #TestingAndCostumeCritera

30. - From the 'Dale to HP - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:15 am:

What about Roskam? Beat Tammy once…

31. - The Valour Nail - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:16 am:

Plummer is a candidate that even Duckworth can steamroll

32. - Arizona Bob - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:16 am:

I’m a little surprised that Peter Roskam wasn’t mentioned on the list. He’s been in House leadership, doesn’t have a lot of negatives, and certainly could be considered ‘moderate” by anyone other than the most rabid liberal.

33. - Louis G. Atsaves - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:22 am:

Mark Kirk who has won 6-7 elections in a row? Mark Kirk who has never lost an election? Against the “formidable” Duckworth who is a lackluster campaigner and after losing to Roskam won a district specially gerrymandered just for her?

With all the fake hullabaloo over this, my preference is that Kirk be replaced by Kirk and the loud mouthed phonies that feel otherwise be ignored.

34. - AJ_yooper - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:27 am:

Kinzinger is a carpet bagger; he moved from Bloomington to Manteno to Rockford area to become and stay a congressman. He is handsome and single and appeared to be on good terms with Adam S.

35. - MurMan - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:28 am:

I think Rep. Dold has best chance of competing against Duckworth. If Kirk stepped aside I’d think he would run for Senate, but that’s just my thoughts. Since he wasn’t mentioned in this post though, maybe I’m missing something.

36. - Wordslinger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:30 am:

Wow, AJ, that’s so clever and subtle. Almost went right over my head.

37. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:31 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - this is statewide? Thank goodness. Hiding in that congress race thingy was too constricting in my hiding. #PeekABooWeCantFindYou

@FakeJasonPlummer - I can be in compliance with the SEC rules, sure, it’s the Big 10 or ACC that would be a problem #ConferenceComprehension

@FakeJasonPlummer - Dad said now that all these years, all these years passed, no one will remember my miscues. Like going from HS to College. Dad is wise #GetSkooledAgain

@FakeJasonPlummer - if I time this just right, I’ll get to go to DuQuoin and the State fair 2 times each. That’s like 5 fairs or something. #CottonCandyOnTheBrain

@FakeJasonPlummer - Mr. Ponce, I will come on your show, but only if you give me the questions and the right answers beforehand. #OneFairDemand

38. - Team Sleep - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:33 am:

MurMan - why give up the best candidate in IL-10?! That district will be a toss up until redistricting comes about.

39. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:36 am:

Please feel free to run any of the aforementioned.

LOL.

40. - illini - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:36 am:

Willy @FakeJasonPlummer you outdid yourself again today. Wish I could come even close to matching your gems.

I do miss Jason - he was always good for a laugh. Maybe we will hear more from him. Could make for another interesting campaign.

41. - @MisterJayEm - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:37 am:

Pete Roskam is a good answer. (But Bob’s characterization of Roskam as a “moderate” is objectively bananas.)

– MrJM

42. - Not Alan Keyes - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:38 am:

Hello Roskam staff! Jk. He’s good just for some reason not well liked in the delegation I’m told

43. - Streeter7 - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:39 am:

I’m open to the Jason Plummer idea. He’s a strategic thinker and his business acumen is sharp. He’s got energy to burn.

44. - Bill White - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:41 am:

Why would Peter Roskam trade a perfectly safe US House seat for a contested US Senate race in a presidential year?

45. - MurMan - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:41 am:

Louis, I think you underestimate Duckworth. Her bio wins over independents and undecideds. She has a large lead over Kirk in all the polling I’ve seen. A lot can happen between now and Nov 2016, but given the presidential year and the demographics of IL smart money would bet on Duckworth. She is favored regardless of who she faces from the GOO. Kirk is taking heat because he is making a bunch of verbal gaffes in a race where he can’t make any mistakes. If he was favored in the race you wouldn’t see so much heat coming from GOP. It’s not that his detractors in the GOP are Kirk haters. It’s that they see the writing on the wall. Dems are in strong position to win the seat back

46. - Applecity - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:43 am:

Please say it’s Jason plummet he is the best!!!!!

47. - MurMan - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:44 am:

Team Sleep, I agree that without Dold, Dems take the 10th back, but without the 10th, GOP still has control of the House. Without IL senate seat, however, GOP most likely losses control of the senate. IL senate seat is most important GOP election in 2016 besides presidential of course

48. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:44 am:

Why not truax. I preferred him in 2014 and still do.

49. - Not Alan Keyes - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:45 am:

AJ were you really subtly implying Kinzinger and Schock were together? That’s outrageous

50. - AJ_yooper - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:45 am:

Sorry Wordslinger. I mean he is like Adam S–handsome, media fav, very conservative, a darling of donors. The supposed innuendo was not intended. That doesn’t matter to me.

51. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:46 am:

- Robert the Bruce - it’s all good, Jason is rascal. Kudos.

- illini -, thanks. Maybe we need to ring Mr. Plummer’s door bell and ask if Jason will come out and play? Couldn’t hurt(?)

@FakeJasonPlummer - let me say @FakeRonSandack may be better and everything, but, I’m taller, and that’s how I measure my politicians #TyWebb

52. - From the 'Dale to HP - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:48 am:

Doubt he does it/Rauner wants him, but Dillard would be an interesting name too.

53. - Wordslinger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:49 am:

Sure, AJ, whatever you say.

54. - Aschockedobserver - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:58 am:

Blueroomstream just had a vid with w j kelly talking about maybe running for senate. lol

55. - illini - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 11:59 am:

Willy - I know where he lives. When do you want to go?

56. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:09 pm:

- illini -, I’m hoping to fly under the radar, you know, hoping the Plummer family forgot all about me. What’s help has been the curbing of Internet time for Jason, so I pick my spots.

Is there a place to get Cannoli close to Jason’s house? That might tip the scales…

@FakeJasonPlummer - being a Navy man, in Intellegence, I know how having the best info can lead to good decisions. Yep, now, now I learned that #YesterdayAndToday

57. - Sunshine - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:17 pm:

Jason Plummer…..isn’t he OW’s close personal friend? I seem to recall when he was running OW was very kind and supportive of him?

58. - illini - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:18 pm:

Willy - there are many exceptional restaurants in the Edwardsville - Glen Carbon area. I’ll ask friends to see who has the best Cannoli.

59. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:32 pm:

- Sunshine -,

No one, outside of the Plumner Family, would support Jason re-entering Illinois politics. I’m a big fan of any Jason Plummer campaign.

- illini -, I’ll be in touch. If I were you, I’d let me go to the door alone, at first.

@FakeJasonPlummer - if I announce now, it will be like extending summer for like a long time. People have to listen to me again at dinners too. #SpotlightTooBright

60. - the old man - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:33 pm:

DeMonte DOES NOT speak for the GOP I know and love, she is phoney and the sooner she is gone the better.

61. - Blago's Luxurious Grey Mane - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:33 pm:

Yes, because Dillard showed what a great fundraiser he was.

62. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:35 pm:

Ugh…

“No one, outside of the Plumner Family, would support Jason re-entering Illinois politics more than me! I’m a big fan of any Jason Plummer campaign.”

I pulled a “Mike Noland”

63. - Sunshine - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:37 pm:

OW….with you 100% on that!! Always have been.

Don’t let up!

64. - illini - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:37 pm:

Willy, you can take the lead any time!

65. - Arsenal - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:41 pm:

66. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:46 pm:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Please stop with the “Draft Jason Plummer” stuff. Stop. I already enlisted in the Navy & I’m an officer. Duh. Pay attention. #SonThereAintNoDraft

@FakeJasonPlummer - ok, y’all mean draft as to get me to run, my bad. Is there a draft board and do I have to pass a physical? Where is the boot camp #StillMissingThePoint

@FakeJasonPlumner - last time I ran fro the Congress’s, I got shiots for that Potomac Fever. My arm swelled up like a balloon! #MedicallySpeaking

67. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:48 pm:

DeMonte. Gidwitz. Crains and Illinois review. Same week?

68. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 12:51 pm:

===That we’re even still talking about this hurts Kirk, but not enough. He remains the Republicans’ best chance at keeping that seat.===

Agreed on all counts.

Being August (tomorrow) and the avalanche of support that came out to rebuff Gidwitz, hopefully that will be enough to get things silenced and allow the building the Kirk Crew needs to do.

If this was erupting as petitions were circulating, it would be far more problematic, but it’s still annoying right now all the same.

69. - Wordslinger - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 1:01 pm:

I would guess that John Fund and National Review’s influence in this matter is somewhere around “zero.”

70. - Michael Westen - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 1:13 pm:

I say Oberweis. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again.

71. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 1:16 pm:

@FakeJasonPlummer - told dad I need $45 million, from him, to run for Senate, given to me b4, of course. He said to get me out of his hair, he won’t pay more than $25 million #Value

72. - A guy - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 1:17 pm:

Can only add this:

“that Jason Plummer sure brings folks together” lol.

73. - Clark Kent - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 2:57 pm:

Mimicking Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off…..”Oberweis?…Oberweis?…Anyone?…Anyone?”

74. - steve schnorf - Friday, Jul 31, 15 @ 3:05 pm:

The plummer family might be telling Jason what Joe told Jack. As to Sen Oberweis, I think he’s becoming a pretty good state senator and I would like to keep him around here if possible

* Brady makes some unusual appointments to discrimination and harassment task force
* Pritzker sues endorser, deletes ad she appeared in
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Candidate announcement
* Best tweet of the day
* Roskam race moved to "Toss Up" by Cook Political Report
* Kennedy lashes out at Emanuel, while Pritzker takes a softer approach
* Rauner refuses to weigh in on federal tax legislation
* Reports: Former Munger firm gets $12.5 million no-bid contract after a $12 million payment was frozen by Mendoza
* "Every time I see a little kid waving I always try to wave back"
* Londrigan, EMILY's List stand by their false statements
* In praise of Mary Ann Ahern
* George Will: Illinois "approaching a death spiral"
* Rauner urged to sign education funding "cleanup" bill
* Republican Party wants Durbin, Duckworth to give away Franken's cash
* Open thread

* George Will: In Illinois, a looming battle over.....
* George Will: In Illinois, a looming battle over.....
* GEORGE WILL: In Illinois, a battle looms over t.....
* George Will: In Illinois, a looming battle over.....
* George Will: 'Blue model' bankrupting Illinois .....
* McHenry County Board asks Gov. Bruce Rauner to .....

* Backers hope Route 66 historic designation can drive tourism
* EXCHANGE: UI lab has watched children grow for 75 years
* EXCHANGE: Hit by train, Highland teen has amazing recovery
* Chicago-area school chief who is to resign denies harassment
* Ex-Merrillville councilman admits guilt in bribery case
* Newspaper investigation finds Illinois raffle irregularities
* Newspaper investigation finds Illinois raffle irregularities
* $80M Mississippi River bridge opens from Illinois to Iowa
* $80M Mississippi River bridge opens from Illinois to Iowa
* New temporary US attorney named for central Illinois

* Electric cars, better fuel efficiency spell doom for Illinois gas tax
* Springfield wants out of legislation limiting payments for 5G antennas
* Fact check: Are Gov. Rauner's grandparents immigrants?
* Londrigan accused of attacking Davis for 'opposite' of remarks
* Gov. Rauner signs sex harassment legislation
* Under the Dome Podcast: Governor's race, sexual harassment, Rodney Davis
* Macoupin Co. highway renamed in honor of soldier who died in Vietnam
* Macoupin Co. highway renamed in honor of solder who died in Vietnam
* Schoenburg: Rep. Davis leads new caucus, pleased with White House access
* Rep. Davis leads new caucus, pleased with White House access

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* Here's how Baker McKenzie profits from offshore tax system
* Cards Against Humanity works to maintain its naughtiness
* The either/or world of Cards Against Humanity: Funny or Die
* Why do people give? Not for the tax break.

* Woman, 24, wounded in drive-by shooting on South Side
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Nov. 19, 2017
* Spokeswoman: David Cassidy in hospital with organ failure
* ‘SNL’ host Chance the Rapper creates a new Thanksgiving anthem
* 4 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings
* MAP: Chicago weekend shootings tracker for Nov. 17 – 20
* Man charged with stabbing off-duty CPD officer in ‘domestic incident’
* Prosser Career Academy students win Cooking Up Change chef competition
* Artem Anisimov scores winner as Hawks continue dominance over Pens
* Man found fatally shot in Hainesville driveway

* Sandhill cranes bounce back from brink as migration over Illinois to peak next week
* Receptive Ryan: Scianna's TD catch lifts Lincoln-Way East into state finals
* 3 wounded in shootings on South, West sides
* Mar-a-Lago's new winter season: The Red Cross Ball is out, and 'Trumpettes USA' are in
* Zimbabweans say Mugabe must quit now, but more talks planned
* LaToya Cantrell will become first woman mayor in New Orleans' history
* From scout team to leading rusher: Rhys Logan helps Loyola reach 8A final
* Lena Dunham under fire after defending 'Girls' writer accused of sexual assault
* Kwaku Appiah's return TD sparks Lincoln-Way East past Maine South
* After allowing shorthanded goal, Blackhawks finish power play with winning score

» State Week: Are Voters Thinking About 2018?
» Legislative Checklist: Veto Session

* Jim Dixon: It is time for a fair tax for Illinois
* Our View: It’s time for decision on YWCA block
* Electric cars, better fuel efficiency spell doom for Illinois gas tax
* Ed Rogers: A Clinton special counsel won't help Republicans in 2018
* Guest View: Rural health care providers deserve our thanks
* Springfield wants out of legislation limiting payments for 5G antennas
* Fact check: Are Gov. Rauner's grandparents immigrants?

* UPDATED: waterway advisories remain for northern counties
* Michelle N. Rollins
* Max Owens
* Jody Spaniol
* Holiday obituary hours
* Merton Edward Thayer Jr.
* Nick D. Bartlow
* Billy Dean Gibbs
* Robert D. Bell
* Francis J. Lingle

* Missouri wins fifth straight to become bowl eligible
* Mavericks stop 4-game slide with win against Bucks
* Herbert returns, Oregon beats Arizona 48-28
* Boys bowling: Scouting Lake County
* Officials: McHenry County jail inmate's death under investigation

* US lawmakers urge Trump to prod Rody on dr...
* SULLUM: Trump's 'great relationship' with ...
* US lawmakers to Duterte: 'Sovereignty does...
* Local Congressmen React to the Passage of ...
* DOJ to ban US lawmakers should Duterte ord...
* Hultgren whishes McHenry County College a ...
* Hultgren and Ruppersberger: Protect infras...
* Shaun Alexander: I'm amazed by the authori...
* US lawmakers urge Trump to prod Rody on dr...
* SULLUM: Trump's 'great relationship' with ...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* Randi Weingarten’s secret meeting with Steve Bannon.
* Believe women.
* SNL Watch Party at SMG-Chatham
* The Weekend Desk Report
* The Weekend In Chicago Rock
* The Week In Chicago Rock
* Sunday week in review.
* Keeping retirement weird. Our Miss Brooks.
* SportsMonday: Peak Bears
* Trump FCC Opens Corporate Media Merger Floodgates

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Google Pixel 2 bootloader issues, iPhone X fixes & more – Pocketnow Daily
* [Sponsored] Take advantage of Tomtop’s electric treadmill flash sale!
* NFL may expand match livestreaming away from Verizon phones
* Razer Hammerhead USB-C earbuds designed to compliment Razer Phone
* Honor V10 specs reportedly include headphone jack, slightly smaller battery
* The Razer Phone is now available at select Microsoft Stores
* HomePod unceremoniously delayed until early 2018

* Sporcle Saturday: Top player performances
* LIVE: MLB Awards unveiled on Network
* White Sox face roster call on Clarkin, 6 more
* Thyago Vieira brings missing heat to White Sox bullpen battle
* MLB Awards grand finale (7 CT, MLB Network)
* White Sox trade for hard-throwing Vieira