* Watch the bouncing balls in real time right here with ScribbleLive…
- Posted by Rich Miller
- Quid Pro Quo - Wednesday, May 17, 17 @ 10:06 am:
Property tax freezes are popular.
Property tax freezes paired with an income tax increase are not popular.
Making both of them temporary will:
1) Not create the long term predictability needed to encourage business to invest;
2) Not provide any relief to the rating agencies’ concerns;
3) Cause our school districts and local pension funds to crash.
- thechampaignlife - Wednesday, May 17, 17 @ 10:17 am:
===We must have parity. If there’s an increase in the income tax, there must be property tax reform to create balanced relief for taxpayers===
“Balanced relief” is not possible. Everyone needs revenue. You cannot balance a budget, repay debts, cut the local source of funding, and maintain level school funding while revenue neutral. Sure, you can shift some of the revenue from property tax to income tax, and that may be a good thing, but most everyone will still end up paying more in taxes. Simple math.