Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Kennedy asked about abortion and being a Catholic at DePaul
Kennedy asked about abortion and being a Catholic at DePaul

Friday, Jun 9, 2017

* Chris Kennedy was at DePaul, the nation’s largest Catholic university, yesterday…

* This audio came in over the transom. It was recorded yesterday at that DePaul University event

Question: I’m a Catholic as well… I wanted to know how you reconciled being a Democrat and the abortion thing and also being Catholic and being such a public figure while being Catholic?

Kennedy: Um, on the abortion thing, I think you know we have laws in our country and the laws are the laws. And if if, and I think we ought to protect them. I’m a big believer in science and medicine and I think a relationship should be between a woman and her doctor. I’ve had four kids, my, my wife’s OB, I was in all of those meetings, the woman never even looked at me. Never even looked at me. She was like, I was over there and she talked to her and those were her relationships. I learned a lot from that and I don’t think I have a role in all of that. And I don’t think I should tell other people what we should do either.

Lots of words.

* There was also this exchange

Question: You’re not worried about being excommunicated? [Laughter]

Kennedy: I actually like the Cardinal in Chicago. I like the Pope. But if the last guy did it to me I wouldn’t have minded. [Laughter]

* Listen

* Related…

* J.B. Pritzker: At times, ‘your faith has to overcome maybe logic’: [Pritzker said he won’t] “analyze” Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner’s “morality.” But, referring to his budget battle with Democratic Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan that’s cost nonprofits and social programs dearly, points to Rauner, his potential opponent in the general election, and says, “I would say that the effect of his actions has caused so much devastation, and it’s hard for me to understand how he wakes up every day and says this is OK.”

* Ald. Ameya Pawar: ‘There’s always the opportunity for redemption’

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:06 pm:

===…on the abortion thing…===

Dear Lord, please stop.

“…on the abortion thing…”

It’s like Kennedy is searching the Rolodex of topics in his mind… and narrating that searching.

Somebody tell Kennedy that silence is better than… “…on the abortion thing… “

2. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:09 pm:

Also… Saying you have no role in that particular example does not show anything politically or ethically, morally, or religiously, in regards to… “… on the abortion thing… ”

Yikes, was that awful.

3. - MOON - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:12 pm:

Kennedy is an amateur.

He needs to rethink his campaign and quit.

4. - sideline watcher - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:16 pm:

I was waiting for this one. I knew it was going to be just like his marijuana answer. I wish he would have said, “My religion is extremely important to me. But it is not my place to legislate my religious beliefs onto everybody else. That’s how I can be devoutly Catholic and pro choice. And that is what religious freedom means.

5. - Anon0091 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:21 pm:

How do you not have a concise abortion answer ready to go when you’re running for governor. Or Senator. Or State Rep. Or Village Trustee. Or any freakin’ office. Geez man, get it together.

6. - Mockingjay - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:22 pm:

Terrible response on many levels

7. - Chairman McBroom - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:22 pm:

“But if the last guy did it to me I wouldn’t have minded.”

As a Catholic, I believe that only someone who is unserious about their faith would make such a quip. Pope Francis and Pope Benedict XVI share the same views on abortion. As did Cardinal Cupich and the late Cardinal George. Not sure what Chris was getting at in that exchange.

8. - WSJ Paywall - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:24 pm:

Has Kennedy answered a single question competently this entire campaign?

9. - Arsenal - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:31 pm:

I have some sympathy for him here, but it’d be a lot more if there weren’t tons of Catholic Democrats who’ve already navigated this question. He can’t just remember how Durbin handles it?

10. - Ron Burgundy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:34 pm:

From what I gather his position is, it’s in alignment with a large segment of the public and even a surprisingly large segment of American Catholics. It’s the delivery and coherence of it though, yeesh.

11. - Shytown - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:35 pm:

Wow. That was quite a painful response.

12. - OneMan - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:40 pm:

== the laws are the laws. ==

Kind of reminds me of Blago’s The law is the law comment….

Speaking at a Catholic school and abortion came up, how are you not prepared for that?

13. - LiberalinTheQC - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:52 pm:

While the main attack I hear from Kennedy’s camp on JB is “he only speaks in broad, overarching themes” I understand his positions on legalizing weed, abortion, and a number of other issues a hell of a lot better than I do Chris’.

As far as not minding being excommunicated by Pope Benedict: even if he wasn’t as well liked by liberal American Catholics (I’m definitely on that list personally), I don’t know if DePaul is the setting in which you criticize his Holiness..

14. - 39th Ward - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:53 pm:

“I like the Cardinal in Chicago”

Sounds like he couldn’t even come up with his name, even though he’s lived here almost all of his adult life.

15. - Amalia - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:59 pm:

he’s not into short answers. that’s problematic. but he’s showing you why he has a position and how he got to it. It’s nice to hear that he learned from being ignored by his wife’s doctor because that’s the right thing!

16. - Jocko - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:08 pm:

=I’m a big believer in science and medicine…==

That’s a lot of words for “homina, homina homina”

17. - Downstate Dem - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:16 pm:

Interesting that the Pritzker Campaign says Democrats should play nice with each other and then sends it’s assistant associate press sec to track Kennedy at the DePaul University event …

18. - Troubled Dem - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:16 pm:

For the past few weeks, the messaging from Pritzker’s campaign team / supporters has been: Biss & Kennedy are hurting the party by damaging Pritzker’s reputation.

Last night, it appears that the Pritzker campaign sent a staffer or volunteer to a college dems event with the purpose of recording Kennedy and embarrassing him. Their hypocrisy is stunning, if not surprising.

19. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:21 pm:

===Interesting that the Pritzker Campaign says Democrats should play nice with each other and then sends it’s assistant associate press sec to track Kennedy at the DePaul University event…===

And how does that explain that ridiculously awful answer by Kennedy?

“because… Pritzker Crew”?

20. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:22 pm:

===with the purpose of recording Kennedy and embarrassing him===

Meh. All he had to do was answer the question in a coherent way.

21. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:27 pm:

===Meh. All he had to do was answer the question in a coherent way.===

Sure. Not really disputing that. Point was to emphasize that Pritzker campaign is also actively trying to damage Democratic candidates, despite claiming to be focused only on beating Rauner. Everything is fair game, but it’s dishonest for them to lie about only going after Rauner.

22. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:37 pm:

JFK nailed ‘the Catholic thing’ in very Protestant West Virginia when running in 1960. This Kennedy has only two things the more famous Kennedy’s had: the name and the money.

23. - Dick Butka - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:42 pm:

===Point was to emphasize that Pritzker campaign is also actively trying to damage Democratic candidates, despite claiming to be focused only on beating Rauner.===

“Politics ain’t beanbag…”

If sending a tracker to an event like this and disseminating a mealy-mouthed answer about an important Democratic issue is dirty politics, where does that leave… everything else that happens in Illinois politics?

To me, it seems like a pretty logical way for JB to differentiate himself from his opponent in a way that matters to voters.

24. - VanillaMan - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:46 pm:

Bill Clinton is Baptist, but he answered this question superbly back in 1996. He almost made me forget how the law repeatedly failed to recognize modern science, claiming that black Americans, Indigenous Americans, Asian Americans and today, pre-natal Americans, as human life at some points in our history.

The law is often flawed regarding respect for human life.

25. - Troubled Dem / Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:56 pm:

@Dick Butka - talk about taking out of context… Would like to repeat what I said directly following what you pulled:

“Everything is fair game, but it’s dishonest for them to lie about only going after Rauner.”

26. - Swift - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:00 pm:

These remarks are just bad, and it looks like he’s going to lose the flint tool makers and barber-surgeons vote based on his favoring of science and medicine. Plus, I don’t see the leech farm industry coming on board with the campaign.

The good news is that he’ll get the emasculated male vote with his reflections on his visits to his wife’s OB/GYN.

I also think someone on his staff should remind him that a big part of the governor job is to tell people what to do. This includes taking kids from homes, sending the National Guard into danger, firing people, denying medical/disability benefits, and negotiating and enforcing contracts. I’m no poly-sci major, but I think our American form of government is based on electing someone to tell other people what to do.

27. - Dick Butka - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:01 pm:

Is this really “going after” Kennedy? How are Dems supposed to differentiate themselves from one another?

Let’s be honest: when they say they’re not “going after” their fellow Democrats, that’s code for “not throwing all of the money they have” at their fellow democrats, which is what really matters IMO.

Publicly questioning Chris Kennedy’s commitment to the Church of Peter and the Party of Madigan just doesn’t strike me as much of an attack.

28. - Downstate Dem - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:01 pm:

Kennedy isn’t a cookie cutter candidate - he gives thoughtful responses, yes. His response on this issue parallels folks like Joe Biden, Tim Kaine and other pro-choice Catholics. Tape recording private conversations, as was done here, is a troubling issue. Tracking a speech is one thing, private conversations another. Shame on Team Pritzker.

29. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:17 pm:

===Tape recording private conversations, as was done here, is a troubling issue.===

How was this a private conversation? He spoke to a group of college Democrats, who advertised this on Facebook. The audience was limited to DePaul College Democrats, but that isn’t the same as a private conversation.

Try again, and try harder next time.

30. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:23 pm:

===Kennedy isn’t a cookie cutter candidate - he gives thoughtful responses, yes.===

===…on the abortion thing…===

I’m constantly bewildered that you think you help. Honestly. Seriously.

===His response on this issue parallels folks like Joe Biden, Tim Kaine and other pro-choice Catholics===

===… on the abortion thing… ===

Hmm.

He spoke at an event that DePaul Dems tweeted about, and later tweeted about.

You again aren’t helping.

===Shame on Team Pritzker===

Welp, Kennedy said what he said, that you your as good as Biden, et al, and are also upset it was recorded?

If it’s so good, why not tout that everyone should hear…

“… on that abortion thing…”

It’s nice outside, you should think about enjoying the day.

31. - Anon0091 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:41 pm:

I’m befuddled by Team Kennedy’s excuses here for their candidate, almost a year into running for Governor, still not having a decent answer for what may be THE most obvious question ever. What is your stance on abortion? You’re whining about having a tracker? Umm, my guess is you’ve been tracking Pritzker for some time. And if you haven’t then your entire team should be fired because we’re talking politics 101.

Pro tip: everything your candidate says between now and the election can and will be used against him in the court of public opinion. Time to put on the big boy pants.

32. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:02 pm:

Is any major politician that understands issues, speaks with conviction and brevity, and willing/able to support their position? It seems they all work so hard to mince, parse, and weasel around an issue, they don’t understand their just might be an electorate that would respect, and perhaps reward such a person. (Imaginary figure, at this point)

33. - honestly1 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:08 pm:

I love that Kennedy is thoughtful and considers all aspects of an issue before answering. We need more thinking in campaigns today not illegal tape recording!

34. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:10 pm:

Regardless of whether state or federal law governs the situation, it is almost always illegal to record a phone call or private conversation to which you are not a party, do not have consent from at least one party,

35. - honestly1 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:12 pm:

Using college “moles” to record sets a back example. What is the Pritzker campaign thinking? Didn’t he have some problems with taping??

36. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:17 pm:

===I love that Kennedy is thoughtful and considers all aspects of an issue before answering.===

LOL

“… on that abortion thing…”

Please. Stop typing!

Also, no one worried about the response and more worried about the taping … Yikes, campaigns may not be for you.

37. - City Zen - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:47 pm:

== I’ve had four kids, my, my wife’s OB==

How many of those kids with the wife’s OB?

==I was in all of those meetings, the woman never even looked at me.==

Hello, OB, tell me what’s my lesson
    Look right through me, look right through me

38. - Anon0091 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:55 pm:

Kennedy crew on this blog, stop. Just stop with this nonsense about illegal taping. It was Q&A at a public event. Even if the official speech was over it was still a public event. You are grasping at straws to justify your candidate’s incoherence. As Willy keeps saying, you’re not helping.

39. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:59 pm:

===nonsense about illegal taping===

If I thought it was illegally obtained, I don’t know if I would’ve posted it, but if I did I probably would’ve pointed out the problem, as I’ve done with the Tribune’s possession of the Blagojevich tapes.

40. - anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 4:15 pm:

Clarification needed on legality of taping in this issue. This was not during the Q-and-A, this was a one-on-one conversation after the candidate’s speech. My understanding is that you need to have at least one of the person’s approval in that situation, so the tracker needed to have Kennedy’s OK or the woman asking the question.

41. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 4:17 pm:

If the Kennedy Crew wants to sue on this…

… that means more people care going to hear this ridiculous answer…

Just stop, and get a better answer to swamp this… and move on.

42. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 4:17 pm:

===Clarification needed===

Nope.

43. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 4:20 pm:

You better point out the problem then, Rich…this was recorded ILLEGALLY! Neither Kennedy nor the woman who asked the question knew the “mole” was recording. The “mole” needs a lesson.

* Because... Rauner and Trump!
* A few pension ideas to chew on
* Redacting data, not requiring change
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Campaign news and other stuff
* Because... Madigan!
* The new gilded age
* Sabato moves Illinois governor's race to "Likely Democratic"
* More government, education jobs drive up payroll numbers
* Rauner to receive lifetime achievement award from National Black Chamber of Commerce, gets shout-out in new Chance single
* AFSCME claims for every worker who dropped membership, 10 have become full members
* Rauner launches another anti-Madigan TV ad
* Despite Rauner praise, Illinois hasn't sent any data to Crosscheck since last year
* There are upsides to having your own billionaire
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* Gov. Rauner's DC allergy successfully treat.....
* Gov. Rauner receives Fletcher Award..
* Why Your Pension Is Doomed..
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stab.....
* Illinois gets some breathing room from Moody's..
* Moody's has some good news on Illinois credit..
* Village recommends tax incentive for Elk Grove .....
* Gun rights advocate see Pritzker as a committed.....
* As rents soar, Democrats push new policies on a.....
* Because… Rauner and Trump!..

* Judge in court as a defendant in misdemeanor gun case
* Report: Lake oil spill in Michigan would cost nearly $2B
* Police: Parents claimed girl possessed, kept her in basement
* 2 Illinois IHOP franchises settle harassment suit for $975K
* IHOP franchises to $975,000 settlement for harassment
* Illinois nursing home fined $50K in resident’s death
* Waukegan to use loan in $8.6M payment in wrongful conviction
* Lincoln nursing home fined $50K in resident’s death
* Peoria officer fatally shoots 19-year-old after traffic stop
* After hearing the verdict, this defendant stabbed himself in court, Illinois sheriff says

* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Incumbents hold big fundraising leads in central Illinois legislative races
* Springfield man wins Illinois State Police logo contest
* Rauner 'deeply troubled' by Trump's Helsinki comments
* Rauner signs bill to ease physician assistant hiring
* Bill taking Illinois out of voter registration system vetoed

* Northwestern cuts back amid budget shortfalls
* FTD shakes up leadership as it mulls sale
* China sinks money into U.S. hyperloop startups
* FDA plans to ease OTC approvals for some prescription drugs
* Hospitals are flirting with Medicare for All

* State bond rating worst in nation — but at least maybe we bottomed out
* Gov. Rauner’s DC allergy successfully treated: Here for award, Trump tariff talk
* Nevada’s path forward unclear after twice-delayed execution
* The Beatles’ ‘All You Need Is Love’ adapted for picture book
* Judge unhappy with pace of DCFS investigation 11 days after boy, 3, dies in fire
* A patient died after he performed surgery. Now Brazil’s ‘Dr. Bumbum’ is in jail
* Akiem Hicks, Kyle Fuller, Bears’ D looking to Trubisky & Co. for helping hand
* Faced with real thug, blowhard Trump crumbled
* Healed from knee woes, Bears WR Allen Robinson ‘ready for this time right here’
* Man, 23, fatally shot in Chicago Heights

* Dolphins could suspend players who protest during national anthem up to four games
* Mom of aspiring restaurateur after man convicted in son's 2012 murder: 'Every day of my life. I’m completely changed'
* Roquan Smith absent as Bears report to training camp: 'We’re optimistic he’s here soon'
* Officials don't think massive fire at Prospect Heights residential complex was intentionally set
* Chris Chelios leaving Red Wings, moving back to Chicago
* Aldermen to consider $3 million settlement for families of two people killed by man fleeing police
* Outcry in Zion over video of dead dog in trash and reports that police shoot dogs as form of euthanasia
* White House invites Putin to Washington for fall meeting
* Beware the wild parsnip: Flowering plant found throughout Illinois can cause 2nd-degree burns
* Bears betting a more grueling training camp will pay off during the season

» Berwyn Homeowners Squeezed By School District Miscalculation
» How Conservatism Won In Wisconsin; Illinois Election Security; Special Olympics 50th Anniversary
» Illinois Prison Officials Accused of Abusing Transgender Inmate
» Money Machines: Billionaires Rain Cash — With Strings Attached?
» July 18, 2018 - Full Show
» Fast Food ‘No Poaching’ Clauses; Trade Wars & Farmers; Small Town ‘Brain Gain’
» 'Carnaval’ Festival To Highlight Latinx Stories In Theater

* Our View: Access to Narcan key to combating addiction
* Our View: Dorsey right choice to lead SIU
* Incumbents hold big fundraising leads in central Illinois legislative races
* Springfield man wins Illinois State Police logo contest

* Chad Dyson tapped as new Davenport Parks and Rec Director
* Swimmer drowns in Cleveland quarry
* Odenkirk brothers may fill famous shoes
* Tardy passenger shares complaint with airport director, board
* Davenport biz launches way to walk in Nelson Mandela's footsteps — in virtual realty
* Bettendorf native Jake Wood wins ESPY award
* Five at 5: Army National Guard unit returns home and 4 other stories to see
* Doctors say Belleville food pantry director’s eyeball is ‘basically burst’ after attack
* Boy riding in tractor-trailer is killed in Southern Illinois crash
* Spotted: AWOL pig makes brief appearance near Delavan

* APNewsBreak: Dolphins anthem punishment includes suspensions
* How to best help Prospect Heights fire victims right now
* Bulls promote Blakeney to NBA roster
* Village recommends tax incentive for Elk Grove Technology Park
* State legislator plans to work in private sector after leaving office

* Desperate for a Midterm Election Strategy,...
* House Democrats bet on 'For the People...
* Two Illinois lawmakers named to Farm Bill ...
* 'For the People' Unveiled as House...
* House Democrats Pivot Away From 'Bette...
* MESSAGE MIX-UP: Democrats DITCH 2018 Campa...
* Democrats roll out their newest midterms s...
* House Dems unveil new midterm campaign slogan
* Expanded Job Training for Vets, GI Bill Ch...
* FIBRA Prologis Announces Second Quarter 20...

* Gov. Rauner's DC allergy successfully ......
* No, The Failed Ninth Circuit Court Nominat......
* The Senate Feels Need to Oppose Turning Ov......
* Anti-money laundering reform needs more Re......
* The Senate delivered a rare, unified rebuk......

* Sen. Tammy Duckworth on breast-feed......
* Landscapers advocate for H-2B during Legis......
* The Real Link Between the White House and ......
* She's back: Sen. Tammy Duckworth
Duckworth Announces $1.6 Million for the N......

* Do You Recognize This (Alleged) Package Thief? (Updated)
* Who or what is that on the Reader’s Pitchfork cover this year? Here are your answers.
* Cook County efiling: An incomplete review
* Chance the Rapper owns Chicagoist—now what?
* EXTRA: A 'rap' about the news?
* Chicago soul singer Christian JaLon wants you to know what love means to her
* Hitting Left with the Klonsky Brothers. Episode #74. Nate Marshall. Jennifer Klonsky. Alderman Ricardo Muñoz.
* Congressman Rodney Davis. Social justice is the litmus test.
* Thorner/Nelson: Conservatives to gather in St. Louis September 16-18
* How The Fight Against Affirmative Action At Harvard Threatens Wealthy Whites

* Summit for Success: IDOT providing tools, opportunity for disadvantaged businesses
* Illinois Payrolls Jump +18,100
* Liquor Control Commission Underage Compliance Report for Cook County
* Gov. Rauner receives Fletcher Award from National Black Chamber of Commerce
* Nursing Home Violations for Second Quarter 2018

* SoftBank and Leica invest $121 million in Light, smartphone coming by year's end
* Prime exclusive Moto G6 Play / Z3 Play are an Amazon power user’s dream
* Hawaiki subsea cable goes live
* Huawei working on smartphone with a display hole for the camera instead of a notch
* Watch the first trailer for Nightflyers, the George R.R. Martin space horror show
* Sony is making a limited edition ‘Amazing Red’ PS4 Pro for Spider-Man’s launch
* Cheaper Huawei phones are set for a big boost with Kirin 710 chipset

* Scouting report: White Sox vs. Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field
* Showing so far bodes well for Astros' road to repeat
* Seattle Mariners vs. Chicago White Sox - 7/20/18 MLB Pick, O...
* Don Cooper expects success, asks for patience in White Sox r...
* Super Stats Pack: Minors