Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Kennedy asked about abortion and being a Catholic at DePaul
Kennedy asked about abortion and being a Catholic at DePaul

Friday, Jun 9, 2017

* Chris Kennedy was at DePaul, the nation’s largest Catholic university, yesterday…

* This audio came in over the transom. It was recorded yesterday at that DePaul University event

Question: I’m a Catholic as well… I wanted to know how you reconciled being a Democrat and the abortion thing and also being Catholic and being such a public figure while being Catholic?

Kennedy: Um, on the abortion thing, I think you know we have laws in our country and the laws are the laws. And if if, and I think we ought to protect them. I’m a big believer in science and medicine and I think a relationship should be between a woman and her doctor. I’ve had four kids, my, my wife’s OB, I was in all of those meetings, the woman never even looked at me. Never even looked at me. She was like, I was over there and she talked to her and those were her relationships. I learned a lot from that and I don’t think I have a role in all of that. And I don’t think I should tell other people what we should do either.

Lots of words.

* There was also this exchange

Question: You’re not worried about being excommunicated? [Laughter]

Kennedy: I actually like the Cardinal in Chicago. I like the Pope. But if the last guy did it to me I wouldn’t have minded. [Laughter]

* Listen

* Related…

* J.B. Pritzker: At times, ‘your faith has to overcome maybe logic’: [Pritzker said he won’t] “analyze” Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner’s “morality.” But, referring to his budget battle with Democratic Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan that’s cost nonprofits and social programs dearly, points to Rauner, his potential opponent in the general election, and says, “I would say that the effect of his actions has caused so much devastation, and it’s hard for me to understand how he wakes up every day and says this is OK.”

* Ald. Ameya Pawar: ‘There’s always the opportunity for redemption’

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:06 pm:

===…on the abortion thing…===

Dear Lord, please stop.

“…on the abortion thing…”

It’s like Kennedy is searching the Rolodex of topics in his mind… and narrating that searching.

Somebody tell Kennedy that silence is better than… “…on the abortion thing… “

2. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:09 pm:

Also… Saying you have no role in that particular example does not show anything politically or ethically, morally, or religiously, in regards to… “… on the abortion thing… ”

Yikes, was that awful.

3. - MOON - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:12 pm:

Kennedy is an amateur.

He needs to rethink his campaign and quit.

4. - sideline watcher - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:16 pm:

I was waiting for this one. I knew it was going to be just like his marijuana answer. I wish he would have said, “My religion is extremely important to me. But it is not my place to legislate my religious beliefs onto everybody else. That’s how I can be devoutly Catholic and pro choice. And that is what religious freedom means.

5. - Anon0091 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:21 pm:

How do you not have a concise abortion answer ready to go when you’re running for governor. Or Senator. Or State Rep. Or Village Trustee. Or any freakin’ office. Geez man, get it together.

6. - Mockingjay - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:22 pm:

Terrible response on many levels

7. - Chairman McBroom - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:22 pm:

“But if the last guy did it to me I wouldn’t have minded.”

As a Catholic, I believe that only someone who is unserious about their faith would make such a quip. Pope Francis and Pope Benedict XVI share the same views on abortion. As did Cardinal Cupich and the late Cardinal George. Not sure what Chris was getting at in that exchange.

8. - WSJ Paywall - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:24 pm:

Has Kennedy answered a single question competently this entire campaign?

9. - Arsenal - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:31 pm:

I have some sympathy for him here, but it’d be a lot more if there weren’t tons of Catholic Democrats who’ve already navigated this question. He can’t just remember how Durbin handles it?

10. - Ron Burgundy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:34 pm:

From what I gather his position is, it’s in alignment with a large segment of the public and even a surprisingly large segment of American Catholics. It’s the delivery and coherence of it though, yeesh.

11. - Shytown - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:35 pm:

Wow. That was quite a painful response.

12. - OneMan - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:40 pm:

== the laws are the laws. ==

Kind of reminds me of Blago’s The law is the law comment….

Speaking at a Catholic school and abortion came up, how are you not prepared for that?

13. - LiberalinTheQC - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:52 pm:

While the main attack I hear from Kennedy’s camp on JB is “he only speaks in broad, overarching themes” I understand his positions on legalizing weed, abortion, and a number of other issues a hell of a lot better than I do Chris’.

As far as not minding being excommunicated by Pope Benedict: even if he wasn’t as well liked by liberal American Catholics (I’m definitely on that list personally), I don’t know if DePaul is the setting in which you criticize his Holiness..

14. - 39th Ward - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:53 pm:

“I like the Cardinal in Chicago”

Sounds like he couldn’t even come up with his name, even though he’s lived here almost all of his adult life.

15. - Amalia - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 12:59 pm:

he’s not into short answers. that’s problematic. but he’s showing you why he has a position and how he got to it. It’s nice to hear that he learned from being ignored by his wife’s doctor because that’s the right thing!

16. - Jocko - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:08 pm:

=I’m a big believer in science and medicine…==

That’s a lot of words for “homina, homina homina”

17. - Downstate Dem - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:16 pm:

Interesting that the Pritzker Campaign says Democrats should play nice with each other and then sends it’s assistant associate press sec to track Kennedy at the DePaul University event …

18. - Troubled Dem - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:16 pm:

For the past few weeks, the messaging from Pritzker’s campaign team / supporters has been: Biss & Kennedy are hurting the party by damaging Pritzker’s reputation.

Last night, it appears that the Pritzker campaign sent a staffer or volunteer to a college dems event with the purpose of recording Kennedy and embarrassing him. Their hypocrisy is stunning, if not surprising.

19. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:21 pm:

===Interesting that the Pritzker Campaign says Democrats should play nice with each other and then sends it’s assistant associate press sec to track Kennedy at the DePaul University event…===

And how does that explain that ridiculously awful answer by Kennedy?

“because… Pritzker Crew”?

20. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:22 pm:

===with the purpose of recording Kennedy and embarrassing him===

Meh. All he had to do was answer the question in a coherent way.

21. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:27 pm:

===Meh. All he had to do was answer the question in a coherent way.===

Sure. Not really disputing that. Point was to emphasize that Pritzker campaign is also actively trying to damage Democratic candidates, despite claiming to be focused only on beating Rauner. Everything is fair game, but it’s dishonest for them to lie about only going after Rauner.

22. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:37 pm:

JFK nailed ‘the Catholic thing’ in very Protestant West Virginia when running in 1960. This Kennedy has only two things the more famous Kennedy’s had: the name and the money.

23. - Dick Butka - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:42 pm:

===Point was to emphasize that Pritzker campaign is also actively trying to damage Democratic candidates, despite claiming to be focused only on beating Rauner.===

“Politics ain’t beanbag…”

If sending a tracker to an event like this and disseminating a mealy-mouthed answer about an important Democratic issue is dirty politics, where does that leave… everything else that happens in Illinois politics?

To me, it seems like a pretty logical way for JB to differentiate himself from his opponent in a way that matters to voters.

24. - VanillaMan - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:46 pm:

Bill Clinton is Baptist, but he answered this question superbly back in 1996. He almost made me forget how the law repeatedly failed to recognize modern science, claiming that black Americans, Indigenous Americans, Asian Americans and today, pre-natal Americans, as human life at some points in our history.

The law is often flawed regarding respect for human life.

25. - Troubled Dem / Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 1:56 pm:

@Dick Butka - talk about taking out of context… Would like to repeat what I said directly following what you pulled:

“Everything is fair game, but it’s dishonest for them to lie about only going after Rauner.”

26. - Swift - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:00 pm:

These remarks are just bad, and it looks like he’s going to lose the flint tool makers and barber-surgeons vote based on his favoring of science and medicine. Plus, I don’t see the leech farm industry coming on board with the campaign.

The good news is that he’ll get the emasculated male vote with his reflections on his visits to his wife’s OB/GYN.

I also think someone on his staff should remind him that a big part of the governor job is to tell people what to do. This includes taking kids from homes, sending the National Guard into danger, firing people, denying medical/disability benefits, and negotiating and enforcing contracts. I’m no poly-sci major, but I think our American form of government is based on electing someone to tell other people what to do.

27. - Dick Butka - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:01 pm:

Is this really “going after” Kennedy? How are Dems supposed to differentiate themselves from one another?

Let’s be honest: when they say they’re not “going after” their fellow Democrats, that’s code for “not throwing all of the money they have” at their fellow democrats, which is what really matters IMO.

Publicly questioning Chris Kennedy’s commitment to the Church of Peter and the Party of Madigan just doesn’t strike me as much of an attack.

28. - Downstate Dem - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:01 pm:

Kennedy isn’t a cookie cutter candidate - he gives thoughtful responses, yes. His response on this issue parallels folks like Joe Biden, Tim Kaine and other pro-choice Catholics. Tape recording private conversations, as was done here, is a troubling issue. Tracking a speech is one thing, private conversations another. Shame on Team Pritzker.

29. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:17 pm:

===Tape recording private conversations, as was done here, is a troubling issue.===

How was this a private conversation? He spoke to a group of college Democrats, who advertised this on Facebook. The audience was limited to DePaul College Democrats, but that isn’t the same as a private conversation.

Try again, and try harder next time.

30. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:23 pm:

===Kennedy isn’t a cookie cutter candidate - he gives thoughtful responses, yes.===

===…on the abortion thing…===

I’m constantly bewildered that you think you help. Honestly. Seriously.

===His response on this issue parallels folks like Joe Biden, Tim Kaine and other pro-choice Catholics===

===… on the abortion thing… ===

Hmm.

He spoke at an event that DePaul Dems tweeted about, and later tweeted about.

You again aren’t helping.

===Shame on Team Pritzker===

Welp, Kennedy said what he said, that you your as good as Biden, et al, and are also upset it was recorded?

If it’s so good, why not tout that everyone should hear…

“… on that abortion thing…”

It’s nice outside, you should think about enjoying the day.

31. - Anon0091 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 2:41 pm:

I’m befuddled by Team Kennedy’s excuses here for their candidate, almost a year into running for Governor, still not having a decent answer for what may be THE most obvious question ever. What is your stance on abortion? You’re whining about having a tracker? Umm, my guess is you’ve been tracking Pritzker for some time. And if you haven’t then your entire team should be fired because we’re talking politics 101.

Pro tip: everything your candidate says between now and the election can and will be used against him in the court of public opinion. Time to put on the big boy pants.

32. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:02 pm:

Is any major politician that understands issues, speaks with conviction and brevity, and willing/able to support their position? It seems they all work so hard to mince, parse, and weasel around an issue, they don’t understand their just might be an electorate that would respect, and perhaps reward such a person. (Imaginary figure, at this point)

33. - honestly1 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:08 pm:

I love that Kennedy is thoughtful and considers all aspects of an issue before answering. We need more thinking in campaigns today not illegal tape recording!

34. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:10 pm:

Regardless of whether state or federal law governs the situation, it is almost always illegal to record a phone call or private conversation to which you are not a party, do not have consent from at least one party,

35. - honestly1 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:12 pm:

Using college “moles” to record sets a back example. What is the Pritzker campaign thinking? Didn’t he have some problems with taping??

36. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:17 pm:

===I love that Kennedy is thoughtful and considers all aspects of an issue before answering.===

LOL

“… on that abortion thing…”

Please. Stop typing!

Also, no one worried about the response and more worried about the taping … Yikes, campaigns may not be for you.

37. - City Zen - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:47 pm:

== I’ve had four kids, my, my wife’s OB==

How many of those kids with the wife’s OB?

==I was in all of those meetings, the woman never even looked at me.==

Hello, OB, tell me what’s my lesson
    Look right through me, look right through me

38. - Anon0091 - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:55 pm:

Kennedy crew on this blog, stop. Just stop with this nonsense about illegal taping. It was Q&A at a public event. Even if the official speech was over it was still a public event. You are grasping at straws to justify your candidate’s incoherence. As Willy keeps saying, you’re not helping.

39. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 3:59 pm:

===nonsense about illegal taping===

If I thought it was illegally obtained, I don’t know if I would’ve posted it, but if I did I probably would’ve pointed out the problem, as I’ve done with the Tribune’s possession of the Blagojevich tapes.

40. - anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 4:15 pm:

Clarification needed on legality of taping in this issue. This was not during the Q-and-A, this was a one-on-one conversation after the candidate’s speech. My understanding is that you need to have at least one of the person’s approval in that situation, so the tracker needed to have Kennedy’s OK or the woman asking the question.

41. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 4:17 pm:

If the Kennedy Crew wants to sue on this…

… that means more people care going to hear this ridiculous answer…

Just stop, and get a better answer to swamp this… and move on.

42. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 4:17 pm:

===Clarification needed===

Nope.

43. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 9, 17 @ 4:20 pm:

You better point out the problem then, Rich…this was recorded ILLEGALLY! Neither Kennedy nor the woman who asked the question knew the “mole” was recording. The “mole” needs a lesson.

* The great Rauner pivot of 2017
* Rauner's rollout
* Kennedy's "revolution"
* Plummer jumps into crowded field
* Report: HQ2 incentive package could top $2.25 billion
* More support for overriding Rauner veto of debt transparency bill
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Yet another problem at DCFS
* Will Illinois really break the spending record?
* Ives gears up, Walsh waits in wings
* *** UPDATED x1 *** "I’ve had hands up my skirt. I’ve had my hair pulled - There’s just kind of nothing you can really do"
* Rauner's federal pension idea allows "some level of bankruptcy"
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Dems pounce on new Rauner ad
* Poll: Pritzker leads Kennedy and Biss 39-15-6
* Rate the Rauner campaign kickoff video

* More Rauner, Democrat showdowns on tap in fall .....
* More Rauner, Democrat showdowns on tap in fall .....
* More Rauner, Democrat showdowns on tap in fall .....
* More Rauner, Democrat Showdowns on Tap in Fall .....
* More Rauner, Democrat showdowns on tap in fall .....
* More Rauner, Democrat showdowns on tap in fall .....

* More Rauner, Democrat showdowns on tap in fall session
* Illinois panel to propose plan for adult education, literacy
* Chicago-area executives sentenced in school-fraud case
* Judge: Trump's health care cuts don't pose immediate threat
* South Bend a hot market for football weekend home rentals
* Child deaths spike in Illinois after DCFS privatizes program
* Peoria man charged in 1994 murder in suburban Chicago
* Man found guilty in death of student trying to sell his car
* Future of king salmon uncertain in Great Lakes
* Judge in Schock case sticks to finding against prosecutors

* Child deaths spike in Illinois after DCFS privatizes program
* Illinois, other states ask judge to keep health subsidies that Trump cut
* Democratic attorneys general unite against concealed-carry gun law
* Gov. Rauner makes re-election bid official with video
* Governor's race could be costliest in U.S. history
* Voter advocates push Illinois to exit multistate database
* Lawmakers set to return Tuesday for veto session
* Illinois Lottery's new manager projects $4B in sales
* UIS students could study at newly proposed Chicago research center
* Aaron Schock attorneys contest federal claims on misstatements

* Illinois asks judge to keep health subsidies that Trump cut
* Here are the key questions Rauner didn't answer today
* How Oscar Munoz spooked United Airlines investors
* Chicago's offer to Amazon: $2.25 billion in incentives
* Threadless acquires Bucketfeet

* Police warn of catalytic converter thefts on NW Side
* IG: 163 staffers barred from CPS employed at charter, contract schools
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Oct. 24, 2017
* Dear Abby: Teen failing school, blames absent dad
* 2 decades later, man charged with killing elderly Lisle woman in 1994
* Man charged with killing woman, hurting 2 others in SW Side stabbing
* Violent 6 hours on Monday leave 1 dead, 6 wounded in Chicago shootings
* Man, 22, shot in Rogers Park
* Man faces charges after being found inside car in Evanston dealership
* MITCHELL: Gold Star Family disputes President Trump’s version of facts

* China's Communist Party inserts Xi's name, ideology into constitution in symbol of his power
* Teachers barred from Chicago Public Schools found work at city charters, inspector general says
* Chicago police seek answers in slaying of father of 3, killed after attending rock concert
* Kenya braces for a disaster of an election
* 5 Michigan teens charged with murder after rock thrown from highway overpass kills man
* Small Montana firm lands Puerto Rico's biggest contract to get the power back on
* Climate change already costing U.S. billions, GAO report says
* 1 dead, 7 wounded in separate city shootings
* Cubs assistant Eric Hinske takes hitting coach job with Angels
* So many people want to read Stephen Hawking's Ph.D thesis that they're crashing a Cambridge website

» Chicago Charter Schools Hire 163 Public School Staffers Banned For Misconduct, Including Sexual Abuse
» 4 Takeaways From Gov. Bruce Rauner’s Re-election Launch
» Retired Judge Richard Posner: ‘I’m Forming Nationwide Pro-Bono Group’
» EPA Looks At Cleanup Alternatives For Lead-Contaminated Indiana Site
» Lawmakers Push For Transparency In State Debt
» Rauner Makes Re-election Bid Official With Video
» Where Can Homeless People Pitch Tents In Chicago?
» Voter Advocates Push Illinois To Exit Multistate Database
» Lawmaker Says Facebook Refuses To Fact Check Ads
» State Week: Chasing Amazon, Bonding Debt

* By Marc A. Thiessen: Virginia's Gillespie is tireless campaigner focusing on issues voters care about
* Child deaths spike in Illinois after DCFS privatizes program
* Illinois, other states ask judge to keep health subsidies that Trump cut
* Democratic attorneys general unite against concealed-carry gun law
* Gov. Rauner makes re-election bid official with video
* George Will: The fatal conceit of planning for the future
* Our View: Overriding this veto is a no-brainer
* Governor's race could be costliest in U.S. history
* Statehouse Insider: Will veto session show GOP revolt?
* Our View: Figure out how to make Innovation Network a reality

* Nelson Brimm

* Wentz tosses 4 TDs, Eagles beat Redskins 34-24
* Beal scores 20 points, Wizards beat Nuggets 109-104
* Booker, Suns top Kings 117-115 for 1st win
* Condos, not hotel in St. Charles' First Street plans
* Bruce Rauner makes re-election bid official with video

* Will Trump continue to unravel Obama's leg...
* Democratic 14th Congressional District can...
* GOP congressmen say Rauner 'let down' Illi...
* Hultgren aims to help employers close the ...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* Measure extends term of FSOC independent m...
* Bipartisan group of lawmakers pushes job t...
* Hundreds of high school students tour Smit...
* Teacher raised in Yorkville running agains...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...

* Democrats urge President Trump not to shri......

* The Senate must protect families and rejec......

* 13 Days Of Xmas
* Chicago Electric Fireplace TV Stand
* Until Youth Soccer Is Fixed, U.S. Men's National Team Destined To Fail
* JFK assassination docs do provide a nice distraction (for Trump) from flaws
* Roundy's Recall: 16,320 Pounds Of Chili And Soup Products
* Stop Driving Kids Crazy
* Amazon slime.
* Will work for $2.5 billion.
* Jason Plummer enters race to replace Sen. Kyle McCarter
* Rauner launches campaign kickoff video

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Apple Support Doc Highlights In-Car Wireless Chargers That Work With iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
* Third Man Charged in 2014 Celebrity iCloud Phishing Attacks
* New York to finally move on from MetroCard to Apple Pay and other NFC formats
* Google ships Pixel 2 that failed QA while other units click and beep
* Apple Pay in New Zealand Expands to BNZ
* Sprint and T-Mobile skip earnings calls amid merger rumors
* Pixel 2 Real Audio Review: Let’s talk about headphone dongles… (Video)

* Sox Century: After the World Series
* Podcast: 2017 White Sox Pitchers and Catchers season review
* Steep climbs ahead for oft-injured White Sox
* #AwardWorthy: Vote for Engel's glove
* Sporcle Saturday: Long bombs
* Petricka undergoes surgery on right elbow
* Avisail sees similarities in rebuild, stellar year