* From the governor’s second press conference of the day, held in the governor’s ceremonial office, speaking about pension reform…
I was going to appear with you in this room with President Cullerton to announce that he and I together were going to do his plan. He got a phone call from the Speaker on the way to that press conference and then he didn’t show up. The Speaker said, ‘You’re not gonna do an agreement with the governor for pension reform.’ And that died.
I’ve asked Cullerton’s press secretary for a rebuttal. Speaker Madigan would only say this is part of the “world of Bruce Rauner,” when he was asked about it today.
*** UPDATE *** John Patterson…
Do you know what bill or when this press conference was allegedly supposed to occur?
The Senate passed the consideration model. It is something the Senate President and the governor agree on. It’s in the House.
The Senate also passed and helped enact all the other pension system changes the governor wanted.
As to the Speaker call: No. That didn’t happen.
The Senate President doesn’t recall ever being invited to a Rauner pension news conference.
* Raw audio files from today’s press conferences…
* Governor Bruce Rauner signs HB 643, freezing legislative per diems, plus Q & A
* Sen. President John Cullerton discusses special session and school funding reform bill
* Governor Bruce Rauner holds media availability after special session. Audio also includes Sen. GOP Leader Bill Brady and House GOP Leader Jim Durkin
* House Speaker Mike Madigan discusses special session and the education funding reform bill