Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x1 - Speaker Madigan responds *** EXCLUSIVE: Lisa Madigan will not run for reelection

Friday, Sep 15, 2017

* “I’m ready to move on to a new challenge,” Attorney General Lisa Madigan explained today after informing me that she will not seek reelection and won’t run for any other office next year.

At the end of her term, she’ll have served 16 years as the state’s top lawyer, plus another 4 years in the Illinois Senate.

“I love working, I love advocating for the people of Illinois. And I’m going to keep doing it through the end of my term,” Madigan said.

* Besides the governor and his running mate, the only other statewide Republican candidate currently backed by the party apparatus is Erika Harold, who is running for attorney general. The Republicans had planned to go after the Democratic incumbent hard by tying her as closely as they could to her wildly unpopular father.

So, was AG Madigan worried about not winning next year? “No, not at all,” she said. “People know my record. People know I work hard every single day for the people of the state… I’ve never lost a race and I’ll never lose a race.”

* You’ll recall that four years ago, AG Madigan ended years of speculation and announced she would not run for governor because of her father

“I feel strongly that the state would not be well served by having a governor and speaker of the House from the same family and have never planned to run for governor if that would be the case,” Lisa Madigan said in a statement. “With Speaker Madigan planning to continue in office, I will not run for governor.”

AG Madigan said today that she doesn’t regret not having the opportunity to run for governor. “I ran for attorney general because I believed this office would be the greatest opportunity to help people,” she said. “I have no regrets. This job is incredibly fulfilling.”

Madigan pointedly refused to rule out a future bid for governor, however. She said she’s not running for anything next year, but she made sure to leave the the door open and said she just didn’t know what the future would bring.

* What’s her current relationship with her father? “It’s good,” she said. “Very good.”

She said she has told Speaker Madigan about her decision and “He is supportive.”

* Asked if she had a preference for who should take her spot, AG Madigan said there will quickly be an “outpouring of qualified Democratic candidates,” adding that she hasn’t given any potential candidate a heads up about her decision.

Her announcement press release is here.

*** UPDATE 1 ***  Statement from Speaker Madigan…

“Throughout her life as an individual and as a public servant, Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s achievements have been the result of her determination to fight for her convictions and to stand up for what she believed was right. I’ve always been proud of her desire to fight for those who need help the most, which has driven her sense of duty as a person and as Illinois’ attorney general.

“It has been my privilege to watch her fight for the people of Illinois and do the right thing every day. She has authored tougher laws against criminals who prey on children and victims of sexual assault, fought for homeowners faced with losing their homes, and worked to ensure a more open and transparent state government.

“No father could be prouder of his daughter’s personal and professional accomplishments, and I look forward to watching her continue her commitment to helping people in a new capacity.”

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:15 am:

Someone do a well-being check on Kass…

2. - TopHatMonocle - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:18 am:

Incredible. Didn’t see that coming. She’s definitely right in that there will be an “outpouring of qualified Democratic candidates,”. I thought the reasoning behind getting Jesse White to run again was so that all the firepower was focused on Gov. So much for that.

3. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:18 am:

Solely to the politics, two things jump to my mind…

“How soon does Erika Harold get primaried?”

“When is it appropriate for Kwame Raoul to announce?”

There’s so much to unpack. So, so much…

4. - Boone's is Back - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:19 am:

Wow. What’s in the water this week?

5. - ste_with_a_v_en - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:19 am:

The end of an era, much respect for her and her work as Illinois AG

6. - buffalo soldier - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:20 am:

“I’ve never lost a race and I’ll never lose a race.”

She may be done with AG, but perhaps she’s not done with politics.

7. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:20 am:

This won’t fool John Kass. It’s all part of the decades-long conspiracy to install her as governor in 2022.

Or 2026. Or 2030.

Going to be a jailbreak of Dems testing the waters on this one.

GOP types, too. I doubt very much that Harold gets a clear field now.

8. - Galena Guy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:20 am:

I will miss her. Say what you will, she was a steadying force in IL. It’s the Dems office to lose. Wonder who will run.

9. - Keyrock - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:20 am:

That Kass point was great, Willy.

10. - DuPage Saint - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:20 am:

I bet Sandeck is sorry he ever heard of social media

11. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:21 am:

Wrong Madigan is retiring.

12. - illini - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:24 am:

Didn’t see this one coming.

13. - Rahm's Parking Meter - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:24 am:

Wow. Just wow.

14. - CICOM - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:26 am:

What a wonderful person and immensely gifted individual. Illinois has been extremely fortunate to have her as our Attorney General.

15. - Franklin Delano Bluth - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:26 am:

Well, at least we have something to distract us from the world’s most uninspiring gubernatorial primary.

16. - Fax Machine - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:27 am:

Does Drury abandon his running mate and run for AG now?

17. - Dart - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:28 am:

Dart is in! Now who is running Sherriff?

18. - Retired and Tired - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:28 am:

After Leader Currie’s announcement yesterday, I wondered if we might see a similar announcement from the Speaker. Not a bad time to pack it in, given what they have done lately.

Maybe Lisa M will be running for a different office in the next election?

19. - Moon - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:30 am:

Too many strong women leaving their posts. Not that I blame them, but hope more are recruited to take their place and expand the female presence in elected office.

20. - Norseman - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:30 am:

Throw Rauner out the door and I’m of the opinion that the Speaker will resign.

21. - jim - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:32 am:

will be a small army of Ds announcing for AG.
    Kass aims at Dadigan, not Madigan. She’s relatively small potatoes, and, unlike her dad, actually honest.
    Lisa was blocked by her dad.

22. - cdog - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:33 am:

nice scoop, Captain.

She’s 51 yrs old, talented, and motivated. She’ll be around for years.

She could possibly be the best thing the Speaker ever accomplished.

23. - MOON - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:35 am:

MOON…11:30 AM

Get a new name

I have been using this name for over 15 years

24. - Just Observing - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:35 am:

=== “How soon does Erika Harold get primaried?” ===

Very, very soon.

=== Does Drury abandon his running mate and run for AG now? ===

Great thought. It’s the perfect out to his sad Gov. campaign.

25. - Northsider - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:39 am:

=== Does Drury abandon his running mate and run for AG now? ===

==Great thought. It’s the perfect out to his sad Gov. campaign.==

And a perfect in to his sad AG campaign.

26. - a drop in - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:39 am:

Will Durbin run again in 2020? Maybe someone already knows the answer.

27. - Chicago Cynic - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:40 am:

Dart vs. Drury vs. Kwame in a cage match.

28. - Precinct Captain - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:45 am:

==- a drop in - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:39 am:==

Expected Cheri Bustos to try to move up if Durbin retired in 2020, but I suppose this could scramble things.

I know Rich is reporting an “unequivocal no” on mayor, but maybe in 2023, after what could be a Rahm third term.

29. - Jose Abreu's last homer - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:47 am:

“She could possibly be the best thing the Speaker ever accomplished”….take it easy a bit, she’s his stepdaughter.

30. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:47 am:

“GOP” side…

Rep. Breen comes to mind for AG, Tom Cross too…

Does Rauner “abandon” Harold?

31. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:48 am:

===…take it easy a bit, she’s his… ===

Daughter. She’s his daughter

Bad form.

32. - Levois J - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:49 am:

I definitely didn’t see this coming. Wondering what prompted this. And I certainly agree she may not be done with politics yet.

33. - Biscuit Head - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:51 am:

As someone who used to lean Republican, it seemed to me she (like Jesse White at SOS) ran the office pretty efficient and effectively. I never voted for any of their Republican opponents.
    I’m sure there were a few moments during her years as AG when State Politics influenced her actions (or their timing) - but I think she’s served competently and deserves to be thanked for that.

34. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:52 am:

Jose, he adopted her. I hope you are not suggesting adopted children are somehow less your children than biological children. The man who raises you is your father.

35. - Century Club - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:53 am:

That’s too bad. She has done a great job as AG. She made the right call on not running for Gov, but it must have killed her to watch Quinn and Rauner in action.

Congrats on the scoop, Rich

36. - Random Voter - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:53 am:

AG Madigan and state rep Currie may be nice people, but the state is in much worse shape now than when they came into office. They are doing the right thing by moving on.

37. - Anon - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:53 am:

Theres already a GOP candidate I thought?
    Dem side: Kwame, Drury, Ann Williams, is Nekritz a lawyer?

38. - Texas Red - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:53 am:

Without Lisa protecting his flank, MJM might be more vulnerable to corruption charges

39. - 39th Ward - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:54 am:

Before we canonize her let’s remember that Roland Burris was recognized as a competent AG as well. It’s ultimately a pretty easy job, as long as you don’t extend yourself.

40. - siriusly - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:55 am:

=== Does Drury abandon his running mate and run for AG now? ===

The answer to that question is: does anyone really care what Drury does?

Kwame will be a very strong candidate

41. - Nice - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:56 am:

Bremen has a baby- not even a year old. I don’t see it.

42. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:56 am:

Rauner’s money runs the state GOP. Once he’s done organizin’ his office, is he going to put together a slate of state candidates?

Maybe an anti-pop-tax Cook County prez. candidate? Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb could make it interesting.

43. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:56 am:

Congratulations, Rich, what a scoop, I’m still shell-shocked.

This I absolutely love… For the sheer politics… Awesome…

===”I’ve never lost a race and I’ll never lose a race.”===

Whew.

44. - Nice - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:56 am:

Breen *

45. - Colin O'Scopey - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:57 am:

Folks, you read it here first. AG Madigan will take a year off, not run for any office in 2018. But……who said she wouldn’t run in 2019? Can you say Mayor Lisa Madigan? Lisa Madigan will run for Mayor of Chicago in 2019.

46. - Colin O'Scopey - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:58 am:

Well, I stand corrected, she said unequivocally that she won’t run for Mayor. But I say she will.

47. - cdog - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:59 am:

ya, ow. thanks. I think it’s important to acknowledge good characteristics even in someone I might not otherwise favor.

Father’s come in many forms. As an infant adoptee, and an adult who is around many children of various family structures, kids are greatly affected by the father-figure in their lives.

I would struggle with saying much else nicely about Mr. M, but he obviously was a good influence in some way.

Regardless of political views in today’s scene, L. Madigan has been an ideal public servant.

I wish her the best as she moves on to new affections.

48. - Anon221 - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 11:59 am:

Too many really good people leaving, but I don’t begrudge them a fuller life. I just hope there will be as highly qualified public servants and not election race-to-election race politicians filling their boots.

49. - ChiefM - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:01 pm:

Dart or Kwame

50. - cdog - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:02 pm:

clarification.

I am the infant adoptee; I have no idea on the Madigan story.

51. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:03 pm:

- cdog -

It’s all good, and well said.

52. - Chicago Cynic - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:03 pm:

Possible candidates: Dart, Drury, Kwame, Toi, Chris Welch, Mike Cabonargi, some Chicago Aldermen, Lou Lang? Some downstate folks. Who am I missing?

53. - Chicago Cynic - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:05 pm:

I mean on the D side. Don’t know the R side.

54. - dbk - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:06 pm:

As others: wow, just, wow.

She’s headed for something/somewhere else, but what, and where, and when? Perhaps as @11.39 suggested, if Durbin retires in 2020, to the Senate. But as @11.45, it’s also possible Cheri Bustos may want to move to the Senate if he does. Btw, Bustos is a terrific representative, I’m in her district and follow her fairly closely.

As Mayor (2023)? That’s too far off for an active/engaged public servant like Madigan.

There have been a number of high-profile women announcing they wouldn’t be running in 2018 - there’s something toxic about Springfield under this governor and his BTIA ™.

55. - candidates - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:06 pm:

How about one of her top lieutenants running? Ann Spilane? Brent Stratton?

56. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:06 pm:

Thanks Willy and Anonymous- She is his daughter. Period

57. - The draft king - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:07 pm:

THIS IS A HISTORIC DAY FOR DAILY FANTASY SPORTS IN ILLINOIS.

58. - Arsenal - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:08 pm:

==If the Democrats were in power at the national level, I could imagine she’d be tapped by DOJ.==

I wonder if this isn’t part of it. She might’ve been hoping for an HRC win and a federal appointment.

59. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:13 pm:

People suggesting Dart are OOTMs. AG would be a lateral move . . . at best.

60. - anon2 - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:14 pm:

How many Democratic senators are lawyers who aren’t up next year? Some top AG candidates will emerge from that list.

61. - Former Downstater - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:16 pm:

If Dart runs the dominoes start falling in Cook County. Do we potentially have a downstater? Who are downstate Dem States Attorneys?

62. - Mary Sunshine - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:18 pm:

Jim Durkin. On good paper with Rauner, which means access to campaign largesse.

63. - Amalia - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:20 pm:

has anyone declared for the Dems?

64. - Amalia - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:21 pm:

David Hoffman?

65. - Amalia - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:21 pm:

Fardon?

66. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:21 pm:

Best news many State agencies have received in a while

67. - Amalia - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:22 pm:

Fardon? Lisa Madigan for Mayor?

68. - Anon22 - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:22 pm:

Just spoke to someone close to him and Sen. Mike Hastings is considering a bid for AG. He’s not up next year, is a West Point grad, and has a Bronze Star. Could be an interesting candidate.

69. - low level - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:23 pm:

Durkin: “On good paper with Rauner ”

oh. Pretty toxic name these days. Trump also

70. - Been There - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:23 pm:

===But if a Democrat defeats Gov. Rauner next year, that’ll put Madigan out of the running for maybe eight more years. I can’t say I blame her for getting out now. She’s also been mentioned as a possible Chicago mayoral candidate, but I got an unequivocal no on that one.====

I agree with “drop in” @ 11:39. I think she is planning on going for Durbins seat when he retires.

71. - DuPage Dave - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:24 pm:

Thanks to Lisa Madigan for her service in government and best wishes for the future.

In my opinion she’s very qualified for any higher office she might choose to pursue. And she’s got my vote for any of them.

72. - Rich Miller - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:26 pm:

===planning on going for Durbins seat ===

She didn’t care for the state Senate and she turned down a run for US Senate. So, I kinda doubt it.

73. - Lunchbox - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:28 pm:

Wow! This is a shocker. How does Jesse White make another go and Madigan doesn’t?

74. - SouthSideBlue - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:29 pm:

== How many Democratic senators are lawyers who aren’t up next year? ==

Senator Michael E. Hastings.

75. - RNUG - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:30 pm:

Not this year, but you have to thing Governor is still on her short list. Other possibility would be an IL SC seat.

76. - Oh please... - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:30 pm:

Hey Democrats, what about the women?!

77. - Trapped in the 'burbs - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:43 pm:

Rumors are Charlie Freeman is planning his retirement. How about her being appointed to his seat on the state Supreme Court until the next election?

78. - OneMan - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:47 pm:

I think she may be done, done….

As for who, figure we get at least one downstate DA or assistant DA in the mix on each side now.

79. - The Muse - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 12:54 pm:

Here comes the Kwame Raoul rumors (is he up next year?) and his fundraising numbers skyrocketing in-kind.

80. - Chicago_Downstater - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:04 pm:

I got to meet her twice. She had a wonderful presence–warm and powerful at the same time. It was really cool that I got to shake her hand, because I’ve always looked up to her. *strange political fan-girling done*

Hopefully we’ll see her again in another lead role someday, but if not, then thanks for your service, AG Lisa Madigan, and enjoy your retirement.

81. - Tommydanger - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:07 pm:

State’s Attorneys Bob Berlin and Joe McMahon are having interesting afternoons.

82. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:12 pm:

I think I’ve caught my breath. Wow. Just wow. Big, big new.

To General Madigan,

Your career and public service and the work you e dome svd highlighted these past two decades is something you can take undeniable pride. You can now look forward to new challenges with a stellar record that you will bring to these new endeavors.

While others have tried to cheaply sully your work by invoking your last name as the only none of contention. While I can only speculate, at times it may have been frustrating, you have made your own name and the detractors find little traction in defeating you at the ballot box or in trying to disparage your work.

I said it above but I’d be remiss if I ignored it now…

===”I’ve never lost a race and I’ll never lose a race.”===

It really speaks to your fierce competitiveness in politics but how you’ve fought for people and Illinois and being willing to run on your record, when your opponents couldn’t find anyone to take you on.

Best wishes, congratulations, and all the best to you.

Oswego Willy

83. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:18 pm:

“Your career and public service and the work you’ve done and highlighted these past two decades is something you can take undeniable pride”

“While others have tried to cheaply sully your work by invoking your last name as the only note of contention”

Apologies

84. - Downstate43 - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:33 pm:

Might change Brendan Kelly’s (St. Clair SA) mind about running against Bost. A metro-east Democrat with his record would be a pretty solid candidate.

I’ll throw in Joe Bruscato, Winnebago SA, as a dark horse. Already announced he’s not running past 2020. He’s only been SA for 5 years, though.

I’d much rather see an actual prosecutor (a la Jim Ryan) get it than a career legislator with a law degree.

I think this throws it wide open on the R side, too. Harold will now definitely get primaried. Bob Berlin (DuPage) and Joe McMahon (Kane) come to mind.

85. - Joe Bidenopolous - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:35 pm:

===Who am I missing?===

Good list. I’d add Fritchey, Ann Williams (long shot), maybe Kim Foxx.

Someone asked about Nekritz - she is an attorney but I don’t think she’d do it.

I also don’t think Drury gets out of the Governor’s race. He can take aim at Madigan, which is his favorite thing, and he’s likely going to be the recipient of a ton of dark money that wouldn’t be there if he ran for AG. Either way, his prospects for either office are near zero

86. - VanillaMan - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:47 pm:

Lisa is normal.
    She likes being a mom.
    She likes having been AG.
    She knows personally that there are more wonderful things in life than politics.
    She is moving on.

87. - illini - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:50 pm:

@Downstate - Two other experienced prosecutors who are downstate come to mind -

Tom Gibbons from Madison County and Mike Carr from Jackson County.

88. - Jake From Elwood - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 1:58 pm:

I initially gave Lisa Madigan too little credit and I saw her as a product of runaway train nepostism.
    But early in her tenure, she proved me wrong. She continually exceeded my expectations for the office and made very few missteps along the way. I will miss her and I think she will leave the office in a better place than it was when she arrived.
    I wish all state constitutional officers could say the same.

89. - Downstate43 - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 2:01 pm:

@illini - Yeah, I forgot about Tom Gibbons. I always thought he’d be a good Dem candidate for U.S. Rep, too.

90. - Former Merit Comp - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 2:13 pm:

I got this figured out. Speaker Madigan will run for governor, with Lisa as running mate, then he will retire and she takes over. I was about to type snark but………..

91. - TinyDancer(FKASue) - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 3:12 pm:

Sorry to hear this. I really like Lisa.
    ……..except for that pension thing - almost forgot about that.

92. - Rod - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 3:13 pm:

Frankly it’s an excellent time to retire from Illinois politics. Speaker Madigan and President Cullerton might be wise to walk away too along with Senator Brady and Rep Dunkin. Inevitably either the tax bill is coming due across Illinois for the years of shuffling expenses, or very significant cuts are coming, or the usual unpleasant combination of the two. It won’t be fun for politicians, neither Republican nor Democrat. Even though Governor Rauner is rather cavalier about budget cuts the reality of those cuts will be demoralizing for the State and if he ended up implementing them he too will be roasted at the stake once the consequences are digested by the public.

The chickens are coming home to roost and it’s a good time to lower ones profile as an Illinois politician especially since so many have some responsibility for the fiscal situation of Illinois.

93. - Team America - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 3:20 pm:

I have been law partners with both Kwame and Jesse at various times, and both are really solid guys and good lawyers. I am a die-hard Republican but I like them both. If both jump in, it’s going to be a tough primary - and it’s early, but maybe the edge goes to Kwame (at least out of the gate) since he has much more experience than Jesse at getting elected (although a state-wide race is way different than state senator). Jesse has held some high profile positions but I believe they have all been appointments.

94. - low level - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 3:31 pm:

VanillaMan right on target…

95. - Paul S. - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 3:35 pm:

It seems like a good time for her to retire. She will just hit that 20 year pension mark and be set with a nice pension. She did a good job; but I’m thinking that was what she was waiting for. Her kids are young - they grow up fast - and there is more to life than being on call 24/7 to the public.

96. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 4:00 pm:

Jim Glasgow.

And don’t forget David Hoffman.

Problem for Kwame is that he’s deeply invested in Kennedy.

97. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 4:04 pm:

To The Banner:

“Retire” might not be the right word.

Latest Kass Conspiracy theory: Ann Williams runs for AG, Lisa Madigan appointed to her seat, elected Speaker.

98. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 4:37 pm:

– And don’t forget Davkd Hoffman.–

Too late, by about seven years.

The dude was a stiff.

99. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 15, 17 @ 4:38 pm:

Cook county president?

* Rauner issues executive order barring legislators from representing clients at PTAB
* Kennedy: Limit top progressive income tax rate to less than 6 percent
* Next week's House session cancelled
* *** UPDATED x2 - Pritzker "Did Chris Kennedy Just Endorse Bruce Rauner?" - Kennedy campaign tries to explain *** Kennedy says Rauner "should be applauded" for "trying to do what he thinks is best for the state of Illinois"
* Sen. Donne Trotter retires
* Illinois payrolls were up just 0.5 percent last year
* Vitriol continues in Durkin's primary race
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Judge clears courtroom in Rauner lawsuit hearing
* You can't "fully inform" voters without money
* State agrees to a $400 million consent decree
* Rate Prizker's new online ad
* Rauner gets another property tax press pop
* Emanuel pokes Rauner over Amazon comments
* Rauner's new Pritzker ad cost just $11,900
* Kennedy unveils health care plan
* Gov. Rauner gets his own blog

* Ives Beats Rauner in Straw Poll - Alton Daily News..
* The Download Presents The Week That Was: “Trump.....
* Rauner order bars lawmakers from property-tax a.....

* EXCHANGE: Few shelters from cold for suburban homeless
* EXCHANGE: Cannery now handles weddings instead of pumpkins
* Serial stowaway arrested again at Chicago's O'Hare airport
* Former teacher sentenced to prison in child porn case
* Illinois union pioneer Paul Booth dead at 74
* Indiana man gets prison term for selling guns in Illinois
* Serial stowaway arrested again at Chicago's O'Hare airport
* Possible sighting of cougar in DuPage County
* Court in Chicago hears arguments on sanctuary cities
* Prosecutors to seek death penalty in Chinese scholar case

* Rauner order bars lawmakers from property-tax appeals
* Outdoor sports participants hoping for larger cut in farm bill
* U of I trustees approve 4th-straight tuition freeze
* Rauner to air extended ad of Pritzker, Blagojevich on wiretap
* Mendoza to keynote Women's March Saturday in Springfield
* Chicago mayor vows to step up Amazon second headquarters bid
* Under the Dome Podcast: More Blago-Pritzker talk, Rauner confirms Duke is racist
* U of I withdrew 35 job offers after background checks
* Frerichs: Can't get tax break for using college savings plan on private K-12 tuition
* Illinois governor to air extended ad of rival, Blagojevich on wiretap

* What you need to know about the L.A. Times 'frat-boy executive' scandal
* Law firms' 2018 resolution: Less paper
* Could this company become Chicago's own Salesforce?
* Manufacturers discover marketing
* In Chicago, does the new tax law mean a bonus?

* Man shot inside Far South Side home
* Dear Abby: I’m 27 and still suck my thumb
* Congress has shut down the federal government. Now what?
* 2 men shot in Gresham
* Wisconsin ends slump, extends Illinois’ in rout
* 27-year-old man fatally shot in Oswego Township
* Gov’t shutdown seems near; Senate fails to approve funding
* Second City expands comedy classes for teens with autism
* Oscar winner Dorothy Malone, mom on ‘Peyton Place,’ has died
* CFD: Woman killed in Cabrini Green apartment fire

* Disabato: Vinny Curta keeps grinning as NCAA scoring leader at Grinnell
* Man shot in front of 3 children when someone fired on house
* There's a strong case to make that Trump is a big reason for the government shutdown
* Government shuts down as hopes for a spending deal crumble in divided Senate
* What a federal government shutdown would mean in Chicago
* Illinois falls to 0-7 in Big Ten after getting blown out by Wisconsin
* Homewood-Flossmoor looks young, restless in loss to highly touted Bolingbrook
* Apple of Adem's eye: Osmani leads late charge as Oak Lawn outlasts Richards
* Serial stowaway sneaks onto O'Hare plane, flies to London: Cops
* Flu season worsens across the U.S.

» Chicago Schools Chief: Cost A Driver In Special Ed Overhaul
» One Year Later, Women’s March Demands More Than Attendance
» State Week: Education Funding, Pritzker-Blagojevich, Rauner-Duke
» Sheriff Offers To Help Review Police Shootings In Suburban Cook County
» A Prescription For Fruits And Veggies: One Solution To Food Insecurity in Illinois
» A Call For Transparency
» 2 Illinois Governor Candidates Spend $26M In Last 3 Months
» State Board of Education: Double School Funding Now
» Lawmakers Demand Fast Internet For Rural Schools
» 2 Dreamers Discuss Helping Other Immigrants Amid Uncertainty

* Ed Rogers: High stakes for Trump at the World Economic Forum
* Scott Reeder: Formula for political success is to listen to voters
* Rauner order bars lawmakers from property-tax appeals
* Outdoor sports participants hoping for larger cut in farm bill
* Point: Trump's stance gives hope to an Iranian majority that longs for freedom
* Counterpoint: Trump's assertive policies rally Iranian support for the Ayatollahs
* Thumbs Up: To investing in infrastructure
* Eugene Robinson: An administration with no credibility cannot lead
* U of I trustees approve 4th-straight tuition freeze
* Rauner to air extended ad of Pritzker, Blagojevich on wiretap

* Underwood: 'They were a much better basketball team'
* Alstork: 'I came here to win'
* Notes: Defense an issue in loss to Badgers
* Illini stumble in seventh straight Big Ten loss
* Maurice Rushing
* Theresa Lynn Perry
* Marjorie Mae Craig Samay
* Illini grade vs. Wisconsin: F
* Quick take: First blowout of the season
* U.S. government shuts down; Dems, GOP blame each other

* Booker scores 30, Warren 25 as Suns beat Nuggets 108-100
* Governor denies parole for Manson follower Leslie Van Houten
* Government shutdown takes effect; parties quickly blame each other
* South Korea asks North to explain canceled visit
* The Latest: Dominic Thiem advances at Australian Open

* Congressman Randy Hultgren Disagrees with ...
* Bipartisan Illinois criticism follows Trum...
* Time Magazine's Powerful New Cover Feature...
* Letter: Talk to tax preparer about GOP tax...
* Rep. Hultgren: It is Not Safe for Salvador...
* Our view: End patronage at Algonquin Towns...
* US places Pakistan on special watch list f...
* Hultgren makes strong mark on nation's new...
* Letters to the editor: Election commission...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* There's a strong case to make that Trump i......

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...

* “Chicago” West?
* Donald Trump And The Rhetoric Of Dictators
* The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #184: Bell & Bulls, Vic & Vikes, Corey's Confusion
* Thorner/O'Neil: Social Engineering: Transferring Parental Control of Children to Teachers
* Governor to be featured at bi-partisan Lincoln Forum in January
* 7 members of Illinois Congressional delegation co-sponsor Born Alive measure
* Chicago Ex Fest canceled amid allegations of sexual misconduct against its organizer
* Mom and Dad is a bracing Mad magazine-style satire

* AT&T to introduce iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus into prepaid service eligibility
* WhatsApp launches the WhatsApp Business app for small businesses
* Patch to Google Cast bug will speed up Google WiFi, Chromecast devices

* White Sox seeking new flagship radio home
* Engel working to steady barrel in Year 2
* WLS parent company looking to end White Sox radio deal
* Inbox: Who replaces Rodon in the rotation?
* 2018 South Side Sox Hall of Fame Ballot