Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x2 *** Preckwinkle endorses Pritzker, Biss holding presser with NASW, Cook GOP goes with Rauner

Wednesday, Feb 7, 2018

* Press release…

Today, Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle endorsed JB Pritzker for governor. President Preckwinkle joins U.S. Senators Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth, Secretary of State Jesse White, State Treasurer Mike Frerichs, Comptroller Susana Mendoza, Chicago City Clerk Anna Valencia, and Chicago City Treasurer Kurt Summers in supporting JB’s campaign to defeat Bruce Rauner.

“Toni Preckwinkle has worked tirelessly for Cook County and I’m so proud to have her endorsement,” said JB Pritzker. “From strengthening the county’s healthcare system to reforming its criminal justice system, she has shown a deep commitment to serving the people. While Bruce Rauner slashes funding for critical services and tries to pit communities against each other, I will be Toni’s partner in the work ahead to invest in our communities and lift up Illinois families. I will be a governor who listens, brings people together, and moves our state forward and I am so proud to have Toni Preckwinkle’s support in this campaign.”

“I’ve seen JB’s record and I know what’s in his heart,” said Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle. “This is a leader who has been there for our communities. From expanding early childhood education and providing school breakfasts to low-income students, to supporting critical organizations like the Center on Wrongful Convictions, the DuSable Museum, and After School Matters, JB has done the real work to build opportunity in our communities. Right now, the only question our community should be asking is who has a record of showing up for us, and I truly believe that JB is that leader.”

*** UPDATE 1 *** From the ILGOP…

Morning Rich,

Just wanted to flag for you that Toni Preckwinkle has already endorsed Pritzker. See the attached video from WTTW on 10/16/17. It’s a bit disingenuous for them to claim that it’s a new endorsement.

Thanks,

Aaron

Attached video

…Adding… The Pritzker campaign accurately points out that they never issued a formal endorsement by Preckwinkle until today.

[ *** End Of Update *** ]

* Meanwhile, this campaign press release sure makes it look like Biss will get the NASW nod today at 10…

On Wednesday, February 7, Daniel Biss will hold a press conference with the Illinois chapter of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW).

WHAT: Press Conference with NASW
WHEN: Wednesday, February 7, 10 - 11 a.m.

*** UPDATE 2 *** Press release…

Today, at a press conference in Springfield, the Illinois chapter of the National Association of Social Workers announced their endorsement of Daniel Biss and Litesa Wallace for Governor and Lieutenant Governor of the State of Illinois.

“We’re proud to endorse Daniel Biss for governor,” said NASW IL Legislative Affairs Director Kyle Hillman. “Social workers have been on the frontlines of the budget crisis, and we know there’s no forgiving Bruce Rauner for the chaos and destruction he’s brought our communities. At the same time, we know many of our problems began before Bruce Rauner: access to care has long been restricted along lines of race, class, and geography, and decades of lawmakers have failed to raise the revenue necessary to secure funding for social services from one year to the next.

“We’re with Daniel because we’ve seen him take on our broken system as he’s led the fight for a progressive income tax and because he has a track record of passing meaningful reforms, such as banning the unscientific and incredibly damaging “conversion therapy” for minors and allowing social workers to be reimbursed by Medicaid. We’re proud to stand with him in this race, just as he’s stood with us for years.”

“I’m proud to receive the endorsement of the Illinois chapter of the National Association of Social Workers,” said Daniel Biss. “We’ve collaborated for years to resist Bruce Rauner’s budget cuts and develop policies to support social workers and the families they serve, and I was honored to be chosen as the NASW IL legislator of the year in 2017. However, as proud as I am of the work we’ve done together, I’m also frustrated at how our agenda has been stifled by Bruce Rauner, his budget crisis, and the broken political system he represents. I’m running for governor to change what’s possible—for social workers, and for middle-class and working families all across our state—and looking forward to working with NASW IL in years to come to make our progressive vision a reality.”

[ *** End Of Update *** ]

* Tribune

Gov. Bruce Rauner has won the endorsement of the Cook County Republican Central Committee over challenger state Rep. Jeanne Ives, just as her campaign has been gaining money and recognition.

Cook County was important in the 2014 Republican governor primary, when Rauner prevailed by more than 27,000 votes over his nearest competitor, then-state Sen. Kirk Dillard. Rauner won the nomination by fewer than 24,000 votes statewide.

Though the county is a Democratic stronghold in statewide elections, it also had the most Republican primary voters in Illinois that year. More than 168,000 people in Cook County voted for a GOP candidate for governor in the 2014 primary. […]

On Tuesday, the Cook County GOP announced Rauner got 66 percent of its endorsement vote to 15 percent for Ives. Its statement didn’t elaborate on the remainder.

1. - Keyrock - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 9:38 am:

When will the coveted Cap Fax commenters endorsement be released?

2. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 9:40 am:

Break out the Big Gulps at Pritzker hq.

Any such news is good news for him at this point.

3. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 9:46 am:

At this point, it’s time to seriously stockpile the endorsements and hope they weigh heavy in voters minds.

Woke up this morning, still no :60 attack ad on Rauner and the “blind trust - broken trust” back porch “thingy”

More daylight burned, more comfort for Rauner.

4. - @misterjayem - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 9:53 am:

“But he needs to get on the attack against Rauner and Biss, just to change the subject. When you’ve got his cash, there’s no reason to take these shots without punching back.”

Exactly.

The high road has a lovely view, but it is no longer Pritzker’s best course.

– MrJM

5. - lake county democrat - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 9:54 am:

Wonder what JB thinks about Preckwinkle’s use of anti-semitism to launch her career. Guess we’d need a leaked tape to know for sure. Anyway, Preckwinkle’s *support* matters, I’m not sure her endorsement isn’t a double-edged sword coming off the soda tax debacle and with the ongoing spats with Dart and Orr.

6. - Urban Girl - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 9:55 am:

Can’t quickly remember where I saw or heard this, but I thought she was already a public supporter. If not, this was a smart one to hold back a little until you needed it to blunt some criticism. Unsure who else they can use going forward depending on what’s on the rest of those tapes.

Fight in court to get the rest of those tapes. The temporary bad press of litigation is a small trade off for knowing now what is out there. You have the resources. Use them.

7. - Responsa - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:03 am:

Is Soda Tax Toni’s endorsement a help or a hindrance?

8. - Actual Red - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:03 am:

@Lake county democrat
    What are you referring to? The only thing I can find that seems related is this, and it doesn’t seem like Preckwinkle was really involved. https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/dobrys-folly-the-fourth-ward-flier-flap/Content?oid=877499

9. - CatAttack - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:08 am:

Preckwinkle already endorsed. Recycling endorsements…indicative of panic and desperation, or just disorder and poor management?

10. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:16 am:

–Wonder what JB thinks about Preckwinkle’s use of anti-semitism to launch her career.–

Wow. Most revolting unsupported driveby ever. Congratulations.

11. - dc - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:18 am:

This is desperate attempt to stop the damage from the recordings.I don’t think Preckwinkle endorsement matters much. I think Emil Jones, and Toni Preckwinkle are on different levels,as far as support in the black community.

12. - lake county democrat - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:22 am:

Actual Red: the Sun-Times covered the story more extensively when it happened (they also had a columnist who was pretty firmly in the Evans camp, who alleged worse) - it was a root canal by Conduct before she eventually threw out the story that she had no idea about any of it and threw out the sacrificial lamb. But even if you accept that, *after* the election she opposed an effort to kick him out of the party, so the *best* you can say about Preckwinkle is that the use of naked antisemitism isn’t that big a deal. Anyway, it’s been long forgotten (save Tim Evans and oddballs like myself) - would be great for someone in the media to revisit that story and let voters today decide for themselves: I think her aura as a great reformer and clean politician isn’t quite what it used to be.

13. - Steve - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:28 am:

JB gets the coveted pro- soda tax vote on this one….

14. - @misterjayem - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:29 am:

“Wonder what JB thinks about Preckwinkle’s use of anti-semitism to launch her career.”

If you have evidence supporting your defamatory claim, then show it.

If you don’t, then retract your false and malicious slur.

– MrJM

15. - Christopher - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:32 am:

- Preckwinkle already endorsed -

The Pritzker campaign says they never issued a formal endorsement from Preckwinkle until today. Maybe Preckwinkle could have simply re-iterated her support.

16. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:33 am:

==But he needs to get on the attack against Rauner and Biss, just to change the subject.==

17. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:37 am:

==I think Emil Jones, and Toni Preckwinkle are on different levels==

…yeah, but it sounds like you got it backwards.

18. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:40 am:

===He was running negative ads on both of them as of last week.===

If those are the best negative ads they can cook up? It’s actually more dire than I thought.

Still waiting…

Where o where is a :60 second hard hitting “blind trust - broken trust” on the back porch, stand alone, ad?

If I and Rauner’s Crew learned anything… it’s that weak responding to obvious negative ad angles exists.

How many days passed since that back porch story?

19. - RP_Progressive - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:43 am:

==

I wonder why they chose today to issue a formal announcement?? /s

20. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:46 am:

==If those are the best negative ads they can cook up?==

Someone- perhaps not Team JB, but someone- can certainly make sharper ads, but do those change the subject if they’re just a more refined version of a previous message? Maybe if they go way over the top, but that seems like trading one problem for another.

21. - City Zen - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:50 am:

Sweet endorsement for JB. This should take the fizz out of the recent allegations and make the campaign trail a bit less taxing.

22. - lake county democrat - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:51 am:

Mr.JM - As I wrote to Actually Red, my source is the reporting the Sun-Times did at the time. My most specific recollection of that was Vernon Jarrett (I think that was his name) writing about the gap between when someone from Conduct spotted the fliers being posted and the resulting media coverage and his firing/forced resignation. If she didn’t know about it at the time, she surely knew about it as soon as the story broke. I believe she either knew about it or didn’t react immediately because she thought it was justified by what they suspected was coming out of the Evans camp.

And again, even if you don’t hold her responsible for what happened during the election, I don’t see how the post-election attempt to throw him out of the party is that much less offensive. If say a Bruce Rauner campaign worker posted anti-semtiic fliers of Pritzker but was the equivalent of a committeeman in the state Republican party, I think everyone here would condemn the Republicans keeping him in.

23. - @misterjayem - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 10:54 am:

Contemporaneous news accounts do not support the repeated defamation of Toni Preckwinkle, e.g. http://www.lib.niu.edu/1991/ii910538.html and http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-04-05/news/9101310452_1_democratic-4th-ward-campaign

– MrJM

24. - Crazy Like a Fox - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:03 am:

In addition to the update, didn’t she support him at Cook County Slating? Trying to change the subject by recycling endorsements is an interesting strategy…

25. - Rutro - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:08 am:

Toni’s or Berrios endorsement of anyone is a reason for me not to vote for them. Not sure this is smart, Kennedy/Biss should jump all over this. Pop tax, toilet tax appeal. etc..

26. - lake county democrat - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:10 am:

Mr. JM: I don’t see those as inconsistent with what I recall from Jarrett. The Trib article indeed says the party tried to kick him out - my recollection includes a report that she wouldn’t join that effort, and as I said, I recall Jarrett calling Preckwinkle out on the lag, not that he was never forced out.

That said, I do agree that at a minimum for the campaign part, which was my initial post, I should have better documentation or couched it as opinion. Until I can get to CLC library, which has LexisNexis Academic which I think has the Sun-Times, consider that part retracted, and I promise to revisit this with either a cite or a mea culpa.

27. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:15 am:

==And for anyone endorsing JB, how can you when you don’t know what the next drip from the Trib. is going to bring?==

Goes for every candidate. I don’t know what oppo is out there on Biss, or who has it. But I’m more confidant in JB’s ability to fight back when necessary.

28. - Blue dog dem - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:15 am:

I agree with the 65-35 rauner win over ives. But I wonder how many people like me wouldnt vote for rauner in the general to save their soul.

29. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:18 am:

LCD, you’re very definite in your slurs on the basis of very shaky “recollections.”

Anti-semitism was a big vote-getter in Hyde Park back in the day, was it?

30. - Amalia - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:19 am:

Taxin’ Toni is unpopular because of sodagate. But JB is desperate to prove any African American support.

31. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:22 am:

- Arsenal -

With respect, as always…

===Goes for every candidate.===

You know that isn’t true. Good candidates know their own Oppo better than anyone. They gave an indication that they have no idea what else might be out there more in tapes.

===I don’t know what oppo is out there on Biss, or who has it. But I’m more confidant in JB’s ability to fight back when necessary.===

Biss has a better idea than Pritzker right now on his own Oppo, and Pritzker right now seems to be doing the minimum to get back on track but can’t prepare for things they don’t know what coming or be goid at preparing for it too.

They aren’t dazzling me. It’s still festering because they haven’t responded by going after Rauner… they are still waiting, for what, I dunno.

32. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:34 am:

==Good candidates know their own Oppo better than anyone.==

But I don’t, nor do I know which candidates candidates have done proper reviews of their own oppo. I know Biss certainly screwed up the oppo research on his running mate, for example. The risk is a little more acutely felt with JB right now, but it’s still there with Biss and (especially, I think) Kennedy.

==They aren’t dazzling me.==

That’s fine, but as I’ve stated, I’m not sure your recommended course of action would have the desired effect, anyway. OTOH, I think they did a great job when Rauner first went negative on JB. And I think Biss has done a lousy job with Rosa and pensions.

33. - Rutro - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:42 am:

I think JB not knowing what he said to a lunatic x years ago is reasonable. But when that lunatic is a foul mouthed disaster and your courting an appointment from said lunatic, you can guess, whatever you said, probably not going to sound good. If your explaining, its not going well.

Kennedy/Biss need to paint JB into a corner with Madigan/Preckwinkle/Berrios & Blago, just don’t know if they have the $ to pull it off.
    JB needs to stay away from all of them, more Jessie White less Toni.

34. - lake county democrat - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:43 am:

Word: First point taken - we’ll see how shaky my recollections are but the criticism is deserved. Second point not taken: I think antisemtism believably pinned on your opponent does have power in Hyde Park, and given what a squeaker that election was it didn’t have to be a “big” vote getter.

35. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:46 am:

Biss getting the endorsement of the NASW reminds me of a line from the great series “ROME”……Marc Antony “….uuuuu, now if you could only get the backing of the Lictors Guild, you have this sewn up…”. (Slight paraphrasing toward the end).

36. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:46 am:

LCD, you seem to not understand that your posts have accused Preckwinkle of antisemitism. Lot of hazy going on with you.

37. - A guy - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:49 am:

The key to the oppo on JB is, uh, JB. And he doesn’t remember. Yikes.
    Might be time for him to get some hypnosis to get some recall on what else might be in the can on this. What’s striking right now is that he appears to be as genuinely surprised at the sound of his own voice as everyone else listening.
    That’s messed up dude.

38. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:52 am:

As someone who knows how - lake county democrat - likes to liberally call people racist, to make a point or in this case try to make a point, it’s not surprising.

A bit surprised on continuing the point, but, like I said, I know how it goes…

39. - Bobio - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:52 am:

I know it’s been a while since the tapes but how many chats did he have with Blogo to not remember what he said? I’m sure he thought long and hard about his conversations back when his phone a friend was arrested. How can he not know what’s still out there?

40. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:54 am:

==How can he not know what’s still out there?==

41. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:56 am:

I don’t even know how I’d answer that question, frankly.

42. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 11:57 am:

===What’s the most important phone call you had 10 years ago, and how well do you remember it?===

- Arsenal -

I’d remember if the FBI talked to me about my phone conversation(s)

Pritzker indicated the FBI also talked to him.

I’d remember what the FBI asked, and what conversations, at that time, fresh in the mind, were about

Respectfully.

43. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 12:02 pm:

That’s a fair point, but I also think there’s a little MMQBing to it. Those conversations were 10 years ago, too.

44. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 12:04 pm:

Also, for some reason I can’t respond to your previous post? Let me try again…

While “good canidates” may know their own oppo, they don’t share it with me, nor do they label themselves “good” or “bad” candidates. The risk is more acutely felt with JB right now, but…it’s not like Biss nailed the oppo on Rosa.

45. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 12:05 pm:

I don’t know how “dazzled” I am, but I thought JB’s response when Rauner went negative was good. OTOH, I thought Biss’ response on Rosa and pensions was lousy. So I remain more confident in one than the other…though I reserve the right to constantly re-evaluate.

46. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 12:13 pm:

===they don’t share it with me===

They admitted they don’t know if there is anything else out there.

No need to Car-Nac, they told us, they don’t know.

===Biss nailed the oppo on Rosa.===

Rosa has turned out to be a smug and self-centered, not a team player and turned on Biss as well.

That’s not just a big miss for Biss but it’s damaged Rosa too, well beyond a Oppo thingy.

My point is right now the Pritzker Crew is like an informant worried to turn on their car in the morning. They have no idea what’s coming and from where.

They need to get this righted the best they can with Jesse White, Preckwinkle, etc., and move forward with a rehabilitation and the help of their endorsers.

They also need to get after Rauner far more intensely and far more directly, and the frequency needs to get on the uptick.

Rauner’s template to defeat a sitting failed governor means no quarter, no breathing room, no pause.

Rauner’s Crew right now, with the blind trust - broken trust issue just sitting… what pressure they facing from watching Pritxker here NOT attack, and letting Ives overplay her hand.

47. - Rutro - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 12:19 pm:

@OW; agree they don’t know what, but they have a good idea on where. JB should buy the trib., if the LA Times went for 500 mil cash, he could do that w/out going to the bank. Then 1.) he’d know & 2.) when/if he loses he could turn it into a wapo type credible paper.

48. - Arsenal - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 12:20 pm:

But if another candidate says they’re sure nothing else is out there, I have no way to verify that. And with someone like Biss, well, he’s already demonstrated a failure to do oppo. The risk is present with all of them, even if the risk with JB is top of mind right now.

49. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 12:24 pm:

===But if another candidate says they’re sure nothing else is out there, I have no way to verify that.===

When another candidate says that, you let me know. So far the lone candidate unsure what could be out there against them is Pritzker.

===The risk is present with all of them, even if the risk with JB is top of mind right now.===

Not really. Like I said, only Pritzker freely admitted they have no idea what else could be out there.

50. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 12:28 pm:

–Would it change the subject? He was running negative ads on both of them as of last week.–

Off the top of my head, I could see Pritzker running an education spot in Chicago reminding voters of Rauner and “crumbling prisons,” “virtually illiterate teachers,” and “Chicago bailouts.”

I’d check to see if Diane Ravitch would be willing to recount on air a published report she made on a conversation she had with Rauner and his thoughts on “kids worth saving.”

Put the guy on defense. There’s plenty of material to change the subject.

51. - Responsa - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 1:55 pm:

==How can he not know what’s still out there?==

I’m sure Pritzker does know what’s “out there”. The question is how forthcoming has JB been with his campaign staff and comms team about what may be out there. Survey says: not very forthcoming.

52. - TopHatMonocle - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 2:45 pm:

When he said he’s not sure if there are more tapes, I took that as there definitely being more out there. And at his press conference he called for everything to be released, implying there are more. If he had so many conversations with Blago that he can’t remember what all of them were about and what was said… yea that’s gonna be a problem.

53. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 4:15 pm:

“I’m sure Pritzker does know what’s “out there”.

How are you sure? How should he know what is on sealed government tapes he has no access to?

54. - gdubya - Wednesday, Feb 7, 18 @ 4:16 pm:

55. - @misterjayem - Thursday, Feb 8, 18 @ 8:15 am:

If 70% of the Cook County Republican Central Committee members really do account for only 15% of the Republican votes cast in Cook County, that is a damning indictment of the Cook County GOP.

– MrJM

56. - sub-urban - Thursday, Feb 8, 18 @ 10:58 am:

==I was told that the majority (70%) of the Cook county republicans voted for Ives but since it was a weighted vote, Rauner won the endorsement. Anyone corroborate that?==

The person who told you this… what are they smoking and where can I get some?

TrackBack URI

* Rauner appoints Dunkin to MWRD
* ERA opponents' logic questioned
* More IDVA shakeup as embattled director quits
* Sanguinetti ties gun issue to Cuban heritage while talking AV
* Stop Illinois Big Coal Bailouts
* After stinging criticism, tronc reportedly calls cops on picketing reporters
* Captains obvious
* Chicago political ad spending almost three times higher than closest national competitor
* Cullerton heard "Laurel"
* Black Caucus claims Rauner paying "lip service" to black vendors
* Bitter infighting continues at troubled SIU
* Peoria paper compares Rauner to Trump - and not in a good way
* Harmon essentially claims Madigan is living in Rauner's head rent-free
* Marion mayor fumes over state response to water shortage
* NRA and Rauner in close step on two bills
* *** UPDATED x1 - Rauner admin responds *** Madigan blames Rauner for Quincy, says members have unanswered questions
* *** LIVE *** Session coverage

* Disaster order for 9 S. Illinois counties hit b.....
* CIOTR panel talks death penalty proposal - CIpr.....
* Editorial | Everything's going Pritzker's way..
* Editorial | Everything's going Pritzker's way -.....
* Rich Miller/Capitol Fax | Good politics, but no.....

* Police suspect driver who killed pedestrian was drunk
* Wildlife Prairie Park to add 14 new cabins
* Winner of karaoke contest to perform at Illinois State Fair
* U of I performing arts center to mark 50th anniversary
* EXCHANGE: Sensory bags, story times to benefit autistics
* EXCHANGE: Retiring owner hoping to keep radio station local
* Trump nominates Chicago businessman for Belgium ambassador
* East St. Louis police officer who earned $200K put on leave
* Illinois group needs $500K to restore Black Hawk statue
* Disaster order for 9 S. Illinois counties hit by main break

* Illinois GOP chairman re-elected; Republicans display unity
* GoFundMe makes saving Lincoln artifacts modern, accessible
* Gov. Rauner ally Ken Dunkin given $70K Chicago post
* Madigan wants information on governor's Legionnaires' fix
* State lawmaker to SIU president: 'Go to hell, sir'
* Bill permitting medical marijuana use in schools goes to Rauner
* Madigan: Rauner's death penalty proposal to get hearing Monday
* Illinois Senate approves $40,000 minimum salary for teachers
* Justice Charles Freeman announces retirement from Illinois Supreme Court
* Under the Dome Podcast: Death penalty. Guns. ERA. GOP unity.

* Trump taps Ron Gidwitz to be Belgian ambassador
* Art Institute uses data to give visitors what they want
* Crain's wins 4 Chicago journalism awards
* A tougher carjacking law is about crime, not race, says police chief
* Crain's largest publicly traded companies

* Murder case shows system’s hurdles for victims of domestic violence
* White Sox: terrible. Cubs: maddeningly inconsistent. Yep, that sums it up so far
* British royal family thanks those who celebrated wedding
* Mother charged after 3 young children found living in squalid Albany Park home
* Pope Francis to create 14 new cardinals in June
* A guide to summer music in Chicago
* A guide to Chicago festivals
* Man, 36, shot during home invasion in Englewood
* Drink in the fresh air: 33 spots to drink outdoors
* Let Illinois towns pass assault weapons bans

* Investigators finally get a look at materials from Cohen raid
* Oliver North, incoming NRA chief, blames school shootings on 'culture of violence'
* Mnuchin says U.S. and China putting trade war on hold
* Takeaways would elevate the Bears defense from good to great
* Man fights off would-be carjackers in Oak Park: police
* Cubs' Ian Happ starts at 3B as Kris Bryant gets rest against Reds
* Lake County Lines: Repairs planned at Round Lake Park school devastated by floods
* Kevin Pendergast represents side of legal gambling story easy to overlook
* Andrei Vasillevskiy shines late, Lightning hold off Capitals 3-2
* Obama's education secretary: Let's boycott school until gun laws change

» The Quandary Behind A Quincy Legionnaires’ Victim’s Death: ‘Where The Heck Was She?’
» State Week: Gun Bills And The Death Penalty, GOP Leadership Fight
» Web Extra, The Week in Review: Biss Endorses Pritzker
» The Week in Review: Obama Presidential Center Gets City’s Approval
» Should The Voting Age Be Lowered?; ‘Hamilton: The Exhibition’; Food As Medicine; Rescuing Tortoises
» Voices Of Chicagoland's Opioid Crisis: Nick Kanehl And Marty Cook
» How To Stop Gun Violence? Just Ask
» #651 John Prine, Opinions on Courtney Barnett & Scott Hutchison
» May 17, 2018 - Full Show
» Obama Presidential Center Clears First Hurdle

* Our View: Another disappointing lack of transparency in Illinois government
* Ralph Martire: Illinois can't afford Rauner's budget 'savings' rhetoric
* BGA: Redistricting reform can't be blocked forever
* Community Foundation for the Land of Lincoln: Forging ahead to serve those who came before us
* Statehouse Insider: Is the happy talk for real?
* Illinois GOP chairman re-elected; Republicans display unity
* GoFundMe makes saving Lincoln artifacts modern, accessible
* Our View: Support legislation that would halt newsprint tariffs
* Guest View: National infrastructure initiative must meet the needs of rural America
* Lisa Madigan: Illinois must continue to invest in vital legal aid organizations

* 'The People's Station': WLLULP aims to spread positive Decatur community news
* Illinois 200 | World War II caused dramatic changes to Illinois’ way of life and economy
* PFOP: Short-lived performance hall once city’s finest
* Mother-daughter duo from Royalton share stage at Rend Lake College pinning ceremony
* Dieterich high school class turning out skilled woodworkers
* Get inspired! Girls World Expo is today at Decatur Conference Center and Hotel
* Should Illinois townships go away? Legislation would make it easier to do exactly that
* Documents appear to show SIU president kept Carbondale in the dark on funding shift
* New adoptables in Decatur and Macon County. Pick your new dog or cat!
* Decatur evictions are double the statewide rate. Here's a map that shows where they happened.

* 'Jurassic Park' dinosaur expert's next big thing: holograms
* Texas lieutenant governor calls for 'hardening' of schools
* Green, Sargent join Pulisic on US Soccer roster vs Bolivia
* Whitewater river in Colorado a bright spot amid grim drought
* Investigators finally get look at materials from Cohen raid

* Congressional Hearing on UFOs Suggested by...
* How the Public Finance Network will push C...
* Congressional town halls: Old-fashioned an...
* Paulsen initiates bipartisan request on pr...
* Word on the Street: State of Illinois' den...
* 2018 Commencement: NEIU Students and Congr...
* Issues impacting Latinos addressed by US r...
* Ruben Navarrette: Pence goes to Arizona --...
* Pella to add over 100 jobs to Macomb facility
* Durbin leaves door open to work requiremen...

* Dems, Trump Admin Find Common Ground: Help......
* Sunday Extra | War with Iran is a bad idea...
* Halpin named to passenger rail commission...
* Figuring out alternatives to prison...
* How area members of Congress voted last week...

* Donald Trump nominees delayed by more than......
* Halpin named to passenger rail commission...
* Senators urge Trump to combat anti-Semitism...
* Legion legislation a good first step to he......
* Bill would make attack aboard train federa......

* What’s THIS? Illinois hasn’t paid its health care bill for retired teachers in 17 months. Rauner wants the payments to stop entirely.
* Sunday, bloody Sunday.
* Free Digital Badge Toolkit Helps Students Show Off Their 21st Century Skills
* Why One Professor Prefers Electronic Ink Over Fancy Tablets
* 7 Roles for Artificial Intelligence in Education
* 2018’s Cities with the Most & Least Student Debt
* It’s time to break silos, look at education as a continuum, leaders say
* Connecticut calls its new Cybersecurity Action Plan a ‘call to arms’
* Are Etextbooks Affordable Now? In a bid to gain market share, publishers have slashed the cost of digital textbooks
* Campus network security officials step up fight against cyberattacks

* Rend Lake Water Conservancy District Water Main Break
* Statement from Gov. Rauner
* IEMA Highlights Emergency Preparedness for People with Access and Functional Needs in May
* IEMA Highlights Role of Volunteers in Disasters
* Governor Rauner activates State Emergency Operations Center in Springfield

* Valerian director Luc Besson accused of rape
* Fintech is disrupting big banks, but here’s what it still needs to learn from them
* AT&T has launched a programmable LTE button for businesses
* This beautiful project creates soundtracks for photographs
* Weekly poll: OnePlus 6 - hot or not?
* Must read: top 10 Android stories
* Listen to one of the best short science fiction podcasts right now

* Most Essential White Sox Vote: Round 1
* Jimenez racks up season-high 4 hits
* Methup X, success! Chisox nip Texas, 5-3
* White Sox Minor League Update: May 19, 2018
* Palka's 2-run triple helps lift White Sox to win
* Palka's 2-run triple lifts White Sox to win
* Security guard catches foul ball in net