* Sun-Times: Don Harmon selected as Illinois Senate president: After hours of behind-the-scenes negotiations — and some internal strife — west suburban senator Don Harmon on Sunday was unanimously selected to serve as the next Illinois Senate president. Tensions were high and emotions were strong as Senate Democrats on Sunday weighed the historic nature of the vote for Senate president over who had the most support. In the end, the caucus came together to support Harmon, D-Oak Park, who had previously served as Assistant Majority Leader — with a deal to ensure that state Sen. Kimberly Lightford, D-Maywood, would maintain her post as Majority Leader.
* Tribune: Democrats elect Don Harmon of Oak Park to succeed John Cullerton as Illinois Senate President: In addition to dealing with any further fallout from the federal probe, the new Senate leader will have to navigate headwinds on a number of issues in the spring legislative session and beyond, from property tax relief to Illinois’ massive pension debt, and the monumental task of redrawing legislative district boundaries after the 2020 census.
* Tribune: Who is Don Harmon? Meet the new Illinois Senate president: Harmon counts among his top accomplishments legislation putting “meaningful constraints” on campaign contributions and juvenile justice reforms, including a measure ending juvenile life sentences without the possibility of parole.
* AP: Dems elect Harmon to serve as president of Illinois Senate: “I can’t think of anyone else who would do a wonderful job leading our caucus,” Lightford said Sunday as she rose to nominate Harmon for Senate president, following a closed-door caucus prior to the final vote.
* Capitol News Illinois: Harmon elected Senate president
* WGN: Oak Park Democrat Don Harmon selected as new Illinois Senate president: But only days ago, Harmon got a big boost from Senator Emil Jones, whose father served as Senate President. Jones then began trying to bring members into the Harmon camp. It was an hugely important endorsement. A member of the Black Caucus with Lightford, Jones provided cover for members who were waffling.
* ABC 7: Sen. Don Harmon elected president of Illinois State Senate, beating out Sen. Kimberly Lightford
* WBBM Radio: Illinois Senate Elects Don Harmon As Next President
* NBC 5: Don Harmon Elected President of Illinois State Senate
* CBS 2: Don Harmon Elected New Illinois State Senate President: Harmon also sponsored 2019 legislation requiring gun dealers to obtain licenses in Illinois, a law 16 years in the making.
* WCIA: Dems elect Harmon to serve as president of Illinois Senate
* Center Square: Don Harmon elected Illinois Senate President, succeeding John Cullerton: Being in the Senate minority state Sen. Jason Plummer, R-Edwardsville, said he wanted to see the new Senate President show some independence and support a fair legislative map-making process and ethics reforms to curb corruption. “You go to the average voter in the street right now they laugh at their state government,” Plummer said. “It’s embarrassing. It’s frankly appalling the regard in which we’re held to the average voter. It’s something that needs to be addressed and I hope people take that seriously.”