Defeated Republican congressional candidate Jim Oberweis has informed the U.S. House of Representatives he will contest the outcome of his race against Democratic Congresswoman Lauren Underwood.
In announcing his intent on Monday, Oberweis said that during the discovery recount process volunteers for his campaign found election jurisdictions around the 14th Congressional District did not follow the law.
He claims that led to an inability to verify those who were legally entitled to vote actually voted.
* OK, I wanted to check with a Democratic election law attorney I know before I posted the Oberweis press release because this was above my pay grade. Here are Oberweis’ claims with the attorney’s responses indented…
· 5,373 voters who cast votes in the 14th District who also filed address changes in the National Change of Address database, which translates to 4,903 allegedly illegal votes cast in the 14th
That does not indicate illegal votes. He doesn’t understand how that system works.
· No Election judge initials on Vote By Mail ballots in Kane County… In Kane County, there were 39,647 VBM ballots cast. None of these ballots were initialed by Election Judges, which is illegal in Illinois. Rep. Lauren Underwood had 68.6 percent of the VBM cast in Kane County while Oberweis had 31.4 percent of the vote. Because the votes are illegal, these votes cannot be counted and when the reduction in vote totals are applied to both candidates’ totals, Oberweis wins the 14th Congressional District by 9,374 votes.
Kane uses pollbooks that record the judges signatures, so they do not appear on the ballot. It’s a more advanced technology that reduces the amount of time and money a county has to spend if they’re reviewing ballots again. That’s why they did the discovery recount so quickly. That doesn’t make those ballots invalid.
· 63 ballot application requests were granted prior to the June date when election jurisdictions were allowed to accept applications from voters to vote by mail
Again, that doesn’t make the ballot invalid just because a person submitted a VBM request before the date by which they could be processed.
· 29 VBM ballot application requests were granted after the Oct. 29, 2020 deadline
VBM requests can be made until the day before the election, usually they’re made in person at this point.
· Kane County voters were not allowed to vote provisionally
· A voter from Kenosha, WI voted illegally in IL-14 and tweeted about it
No idea what he’s talking about, but not sure how that invalidates the election.
· There were more than 1600 ballots cast in DuPage County above and beyond the number of voters who voted
I believe they are mixing ballots received and ballots cast – they’re not the same thing. DuPage had an unprecedented number of new registrations during the early voting period and on election day, and more people who requested VBMs than ever before. Those who appeared in person and surrendered their ballots were given a regular ballot. Thus, more ballots were given out than actual voters – but it doesn’t mean they were all cast.