House Speaker election updates - Madigan is 9 votes short of 60, opposition grows from 19 to 22
Sunday, Jan 10, 2021
* 6:56 pm: According to three sources, Rep. Kathy Willis has dropped out of the race for Speaker.
This post will be updated.
* 7:12 pm: Hearing Rep. Willis has endorsed Rep. Ann Williams for Speaker.
* 7:18 pm: Not only do they bar reporters from the floor, have Illinois State Police troopers escort credentialed journalists to and from the restroom, but they are repeatedly yelling at grown adults tonight for telling reporters what’s going on in a caucus meeting about the future of this state. The HDem leadership attitude on display this week is really a bit much.
* 7:33 pm: Haven’t confirmed this yet, but nice job by Maxwell…
Hearing 1 Present.
I’ve been trying to tell folks that Madigan is more than 6 votes short.
* I’m hearing the same…
They’re done for the night, by the way.
* 8:17 pm: Of those who hadn’t pledged one way or the other, Suzanne Ness, Denyse Wang Stoneback and Michelle Mussman all voted for someone other than MJM. Ness and Stoneback were with Rep. Ann Williams, Mussman was with Rep. Stephanie Kifowit. More tomorrow.