* Jake Griffin…
Illinois hit another COVID-19 vaccination milestone Tuesday with more than 50% of the state’s population now fully vaccinated, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. […]
While more than half the state’s overall population is now fully vaccinated, IDPH records show 55.7% of the state’s vaccine-eligible population of residents 12 and older are now fully vaccinated, with 71.2% of that population having received at least one dose.
*** UPDATE *** Bummer…
* Illinois COVID Update: IL reports 745 cases, 6 deaths; Mayor Lightfoot gives update: As positivity rates rise across the nation, the American Academy of Pediatrics issued new guidance recommending every student over the age of 2 wear face masks in school for in person learning.
* New COVID-19 guidance calls for all Illinois college students to be vaccinated: ‘Science is showing us that vaccines are the best way to protect our students’
* Cook County COVID mass vaccination sites close this week: Ariyanna Halsell got vaccinated Tuesday, after being hesitant about the side effects, but the Northern Illinois University student said she had to get it done. “I wanna get the full college experience, so I have to,” Halsell said. “I wanted to live on campus, so that’s one of the requirements to live on campus.”
* As state says unvaccinated kids should wear masks, here’s what suburban schools are doing so far: On Monday night, the state’s second-largest school system, Elgin Area School District U-46, mandated masks in elementary classrooms, St. Charles Unit District 303 made face coverings voluntary, and Geneva Unit District 304 deferred a decision. … Still, some — including Wheaton Warrenville Unit District 200, Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211, Arlington Heights Elementary District 25, Barrington Unit District 220 — are opting for voluntary masking, a move decried by concerned parents and applauded by anti-mask groups that have shown up in force to school board meetings. … Many other suburban school systems — Palatine Township Elementary District 15, Lake Zurich Unit District 95, Burlington Central School District 301 — are taking a wait-and-see approach as Illinois sees a rise in new infections blamed on the highly contagious delta variant of the virus.
* Illinois teachers unions: Vaccinations, masks critical to preventing COVID-19 in schools
* Chicago expands travel advisory again and mayor warns restrictions could return as COVID-19 numbers creep up