* From Gov. Pritzker’s campaign spokesperson in response to my question about his plans for Governor’s Day….
The Governor is planning to host a casual outdoor event on the Director’s lawn to celebrate the tradition of Governor’s Day. With the Delta variant of COVID surging and pediatric cases on the rise, the Governor doesn’t plan to attend the IDCCA brunch, which in its current form is a large indoor event. He continues to encourage others to take all possible pre-cautions to prevent the spread.
I’ve asked the IDCCA for comment.
*** UPDATE *** IDCCA President Kristina Zahorik…
This year’s hybrid gathering will convene Democratic activists from across the state to celebrate the party’s efforts to Build Back Better in a way that is safe and follows the science. While we respect the Governor and other Democrats’ decision not to join the event in person, we’d remind individuals that they can participate in our activities virtually. We hope the Governor takes part in the Brunch virtually or sends a video to address the thousands of grassroots Democrats who will be watching, attending, and supporting his reelection. Furthermore, we’ve put several COVID-19 mitigations in place:
* Do Not Attend in Person Unless Vaccinated: From the start of planning we have included a hybrid virtual option for individuals to participate. If individuals are not vaccinated we ask that they get vaccinated or participate virtually.
* Mask Requirement: All in person attendees are required to wear masks from the time they enter the Crowne Plaza Hotel until they leave the hotel after the event. If you forget your mask we will provide you with one.
* Proper Mask Use: Masks must cover your nose and chin at all times.
* Mask Compliance: If you ignore the mask requirements, you will be asked to leave the event.
* Seating: Unlike in years past, the seats will be spaced far apart from each other for social distancing. We have also limited in person attendance to allow for more spacing in the room.
* Hand Sanitizer: We will have multiple hand sanitizer stations throughout the hotel.
We look forward to seeing the Governor in person at next year’s Brunch.
…Adding… About that “required to wear masks from the time they enter the Crowne Plaza Hotel until they leave the hotel after the event” thing. There will be food and drink, so mask wearing won’t be all the time, of course.