The return of the circular firing squad
Monday, Sep 18, 2017 - Posted by Rich Miller
* Illinois Review…
Abortion supporters such as Personal PAC’s Terry Cosgrove says that even though the state House and Senate passed [House Bill 40] back in May, they will not send it to the governor’s desk unless they know for sure the governor will sign it into law.
Every day that move is delayed leaves less time for a potential GOP primary challenger to organize social conservatives to challenge the Republican governor, which may be why Governor Rauner is ignoring requests to confirm his position on HB 40.
Twenty or so pro-life lawmakers met with the governor earlier this year, saying if he wanted them to support his re-election, he would have to veto HB40.
HB 40 would make all Illinois abortions taxpayer-funded and would attempt to exempt Illinois from federal law if a conservative majority U.S. Supreme Court were to overturn the 1973 Roe vs. Wade decision.
At the request of State Rep. David McSweeney, last Monday Illinois Review began asking the governor’s office to confirm the commitment he made in April to veto HB 40. The news source followed up Tuesday, and waited to ask for the third time until the governor returned from his trip to Asia.
* Speaking of McSweeney, Will Stephens at WXAN passed along a couple of tidbits from his recent interview with the legislator…
At the 4:36 mark in reference to Gov. Rauner Rep. McSweeney says…
“I want him to succeed, but he’s failed miserably. Property taxes are higher than ever, we’ve had a 32% increase in the income tax rate, we have a sanctuary state…in the state of Illinois, spending is out of control, we have a number of bills that are terrible that he signed…”
At the 8:44 mark, referencing his push to eliminate the Lt. Gov Office…
“The Governor has opposed me 100%, Sanguetnetti, his Lt. Governor, is allegedly for consolidation, they have done everything to protect their fiefdom and their office, its a waste of taxpayers money. Who cares who the Lt. Governor is in this state? It’s a waste of money. Governor Rauner right now has two deputy Governors that are making a lot of money, why do you need a Lt. Governor on top of it…”
* Meanwhile, from earlier this month…
Disappointed with his state rep’s vote to hike state income taxes by 32%, Effingham businessman Brian Milleville announced Wednesday that he’s challenging 5-term GOP incumbent John Cavaletto for his 107th District House seat.
Pointing to Chicago Democrats and what he called “Surrender” Republicans, Milleville said those in office have walked away from central Illinois taxpayers that just can’t afford more taxes.
* Today…
State Representative John Cavaletto (R-Salem) has announced that he will not seek reelection in the upcoming November 2018 election.
* Also today…
Milleville says the Illinois Opportunity Project has voiced their support for his candidacy, although no specific amount of funding from the group was agreed upon.
That would be Dan Proft’s group.
* An offshoot of the IOP is “Upstream Ideas,” which published a video commentary the other day…
In Illinois House Minority Leader Jim Durkin’s world, capitulation is compromise. Because he believes now what he has always believed: The Democrats are too strong. Mike Madigan is too strong. Unions are too strong.
The truth is, Jim Durkin is weak. He should be held accountable for his weakness in 2018. Otherwise mediocrity will continue to plague us all. Pat Hughes explains in this week’s Two Minute Warning.
…Adding… I forgot about this until a commenter reminded me…
Uline CEO Richard Uihlein has given another $2 million to a political action committee that has focused on electing Republicans to seats in Springfield.
State elections records show the contribution to Liberty Principles PAC was reported Saturday. The PAC is run by conservative radio host and former unsuccessful candidate for governor Dan Proft.
Uihlein has given money to the PAC before, as has Gov. Rauner. It reported spending more than $10 million on races in 2016.