* Lots of rumors that some top communications staff and at least one (and maybe more) legal staff have resigned or have been pushed out. Legal staff resignations are reportedly unrelated to the comms staff cleanout, which are directly related to the “as a white male” PR disaster. The comms staff rumors started last night, but their “resignations” were delayed for whatever reason..
*** UPDATE 1 *** Pritzker campaign…
Bruce Rauner Goes Full On Trump In Latest Staff Purge
New Illinois Policy Institute Staff Last a Mere 37 Days
Chicago, IL – In a move straight out of the Trump playbook, Bruce Rauner has reportedly fired his communications team who were just 37 days on the job. The rash move comes after the failed governor had to publicly rebuke his own staff yesterday after they said “as a white male — [Rauner] does not have anything more to add to the discussion” on the racist IPI cartoon.
“There is a problem that no amount of staff changes can fix and his name is Bruce Rauner,” said Pritzker communications director Galia Slayen. “This governor has no moral compass, no vision, and no loyalty. Churning through staff faster than we can say Scaramucci is not going to change the fact that Bruce Rauner is entirely incapable of leading this state.”
*** UPDATE 2 *** Rasmussen is not yet confirmed, but sources say her resignation may happen later in the week…
Some reports say Rauner’s chief of staff, Kristina Rasmussen, may be out, but are still not confirmed. Sources tell NBC 5 perhaps Rauner’s entire communications team and his general counsel are all out.
Sources confirmed that Diana Rickert, Laurel Patric and Britany Carl, who once compared abortion to Nazi eugenics in a controversial blog post, were all out.
It’s believed Rickert wrote the vexing “white male” press release from Tuesday and Patrick sent it out. Former staffers say Rasmussen would have signed off on it.
Attempts to reach the Rauner team have been unsuccessful. Whether all were fired or quit is not clear.
*** UPDATE 3 *** I’m hearing the same on comms and sources say that more than Murashko may be out in legal staff…
*** UPDATE 4 *** Tina (name used with permission)…
A day after crafting a controversial statement citing Gov. Bruce Rauner’s position as a “white male,” the governor’s new communication staff has been ousted — with more exits on the way, according to multiple sources.
Sources said the staffers — hired in July after a staff purge and series of protest resignations — were asked to resign; one was asked to stay but chose to resign.
Sources say that includes former Illinois Policy Institute staffer Diana Rickert, who served as the governor’s deputy chief of staff for communications; Laurel Patrick, communications director; Brittany Carl and Meghan Keenan, both communications specialists.
A spokeswoman for the lieutenant governor’s office offered no comment on the resignations but said that she would be assisting with media calls.
*** UPDATE 5 *** I’m hearing the Looch has been set loose. Not confirmed yet, though.
*** UPDATE 6 *** If this does happen, he won’t be chief very long. Just sayin…
*** UPDATE 7 *** The Looch was, indeed, set loose, according to Mary Ann…
215 Comments
|
|
Comments Off
|
* Last week, GOP state Rep. Tom Demmer tweeted this about the Illinois Policy Institute’s cartoon…
* Dan Proft and Patrick Hughes of the Illinois Opportunity Project launched on Demmer during Proft’s radio show, which is sponsored by the Illinois Policy Institute…
PROFT: Tom Demmer is stepping out to criticize the Illinois Policy Institute, to pile on and to provide again the political cover for the Democrats because that’s what so many Republicans do in this state, provide political cover. You point your finger, poke your finger in my chest and I fold. And Tom Demmer is a good example of why Republicans are the super-minority party in the state. Just as those 15 Madigan Republicans who voted for the Madigan tax increase without spending reforms are a good example of why Republicans are the super-minority constituency in the state. And why there’s an enthusiasm gap right now between Republicans and Democrats in Illinois, looking forward to the 2018 election.
And, boy, I gotta tell you, if you wanna ensure another generation of Madigan and Cullerton lordship. You wanna switch out Rauner for one of the fungible Chicago Democrats that are running for the Democrat nomination for governor? You know what you do? You entrust the Republican Party to the likes of Tom Demmer and those 15 surrender Republicans who voted with Madigan on the tax increases. And you won’t have to worry about the Republican Party being in charge of anything in Illinois again.
HUGHES: Yeah, and I remember when Tom Demmer ran the first time and he was very young, supported by the local party because he’d been sort of a volunteer and all that good stuff. I supported and you supported another candidate back then and I’m really sitting here today wishing mightily that that other candidate had won. And I’m wondering whether or not there should be someone else to run against Tom Demmer in this next cycle.
PROFT: Well, I gotta tell ya, I think we have enough dinks in the Republican caucus. We don’t need any more and we need to excise those that we have.
The video is here. It starts at the 5:09 mark.
…Adding… Hughes, by the way, is listed as the “External Relations Advisor” for the Illinois Policy Institute on its website.
33 Comments
|
* Press release…
“Jesse White is Mike Madigan’s top patronage chief, using the Secretary of State’s office as a jobs machine for Madigan allies. J.B. Pritzker’s willingness to accept the endorsement of the Speaker’s top patronage chief is just another sign that Mike Madigan is orchestrating Pritzker’s nomination.” – Illinois Republican Party Spokesman Steven Yaffe
Jesse White is a Madigan ally through and through – and now he’s supporting J.B. Pritzker.
Just this month, Jesse White broke his promise to not run for re-election after Madigan worked to change his mind.
Madigan likes White because he is well known for a “pattern of patronage” in his office. Mike Madigan relies on patronage for his political machine.
J.B. Pritzker’s willingness to accept a Jesse White endorsement is even more proof that he would give the Governor’s office back to Mike Madigan.
A bit much. White’s still way more popular than any other statewide officeholder, including and especially the governor (which may be why they haven’t found their SoS candidate yet). But, hey, they got their message and they’re sticking to it and you can’t blame them. The one thing I totally agree with Bill Maher on is when he says “Democrats read polls, Republicans change them.”
*** UPDATE *** And here’s the Pritzker campaign release…
Today, Secretary of State Jesse White announced his endorsement of JB Pritzker for governor at Eckhart Park on the West Side of Chicago. They event was kicked off with a performance by the Jesse White Tumblers.
The endorsement is the first by a statewide elected official in the Democratic primary for governor, and comes from a widely popular public servant who has won by large margins in his election bids. Secretary White is currently running for a record sixth term as Secretary of State, and has held a number of different public offices in Illinois for over 40 years. Under his leadership, Illinois has become a nationwide leader in road safety with strengthened DUI laws, a reformed CDL program, and improved teen driving guidelines. Jesse White is a veteran, former Chicago Public Schools teacher and administrator, and a lifelong public servant.
“For over half a century, Secretary of State Jesse White has defined public service in Illinois,” said JB Pritzker. “He is an Army veteran, a Chicago Cubs ball player, a Chicago Public School teacher, the first African American ever elected Illinois Secretary of State, one of the biggest vote getters in the history of our state, and a leader in every sense of the word. By his many good works and by his example, Jesse White inspires our young people to pursue public service and do good for Illinois. I’ve known Jesse for more than a quarter century, and back then as today, he inspires me. That’s why today, I am so proud to receive Jesse White’s endorsement in my campaign for governor.”
“I am so proud to endorse JB Pritzker for governor,” said Secretary of State Jesse White. “JB and I have known each other for 30 years and I can confidently say that he’s always stood up for what’s right. JB has spent his life fighting for Illinoisans, helping create opportunity for working families and expanding quality education for Illinois’ children. That’s exactly the type of leadership we need. As secretary of state, I’ve worked to rebuild trust in Springfield and make government work for the people, but I need a partner in the governor’s office. I know that JB is the right candidate to lead our ticket in 2018 and work with me to get our state back on track.”
*** UPDATE 2 *** Galia Slayen with the Pritzker campaign…
Jesse White has served this state, our country, and contributed to communities across Illinois his whole life. JB is proud to have Jesse White’s support and looks forward to working with this tireless public servant to defeat Bruce Rauner. We know the Illinois GOP has a tough job propping up their failed governor, but Jesse White deserves better than their tired talking points and deeply out of touch attacks. Perhaps they need a refresher on Secretary of State Jesse White’s over 50 years of service to our state and country:
Served our country in the U.S. Army and Illinois National Guard and Reserve.
Founded the Jesse White Tumbling Team and volunteered for 57 years to help over 17,500 at-risk youth.
Taught students in the Chicago public school system as a teacher and administrator for over 33 years.
Started tutoring and scholarship programs to help kids thrive in school and go to college.
First African American elected as Illinois Secretary of State and longest serving Secretary of State in Illinois history.
37 Comments
|
* Instead of dodging questions about a cartoon decried as racist, why didn’t the governor point to some real action yesterday? From the Illinois branch of the ACLU…
[Yesterday], Governor Rauner signed into law House Bill 3803, a measure that fixed the charge of unlawful gang conduct in Illinois statute. The charge has been used, largely with young men of color in Chicago, to arrest and charge individuals who are doing nothing more than being present in their own neighborhoods. Below, please statements from the two legislative sponsors – Senator Toi Hutchinson and Representative Kelly Cassidy – as well as my colleague Khadine Bennett.
Statement of State Senator Toi Hutchinson
Chief Senate Sponsor
House Bill 3803
August 22, 2017
With the Governor’s signature, we have been able to work together to make life better for thousands of persons – mostly young men of color – being arrested and subjected to prosecution for simply being in their own neighborhoods. I thank my colleagues in the Senate who joined in making this the law in Illinois.
Statement of State Representative Kelly Cassidy
Chief House Sponsor
House Bill 3803
August 22, 2017
The Governor today has moved forward a fix to one of the worst abuses of criminal law in our state. The notion that someone could be arrested and prosecuted simply for being in their neighborhood, talking to people, or in their own yard, is beyond troubling. I’m grateful to all of my colleagues who supported this fix. We ought to target our law enforcement resources towards those who are committing crimes, not just hanging out.
Statement of Khadine Bennett, Director
Advocacy and Intergovernmental Affairs
American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois
RE: Signing of House Bill 3803
August 22, 2017
Today, Governor Rauner helped bring a measure of sanity and fairness to the criminal justice system in Illinois – eliminating the charge of “unlawful gang contact” being applied to people who engage in no criminal conduct. These arrests – there were nearly 2,000 of them in Chicago during 2015 – resulted from such dangerous conduct as standing in one’s own yard, talking to neighbors or sitting on one’s porch.
The bill signed today simply requires that someone be engaged in a crime or other gang-related activity to be arrested and prosecuted for unlawful gang conduct. This reflects not just good policy, but aligns with our basic constitutional notions that police simply cannot arrest someone because they do not like who they are or where they are located.
We thank the Governor for seeing the wisdom in this position and Senator Toi Hutchinson and Representative Kelly Cassidy for championing this measure.
* Nothing from the governor’s office except this in a long bill-signing list…
Bill No.: HB 3803
An Act Concerning Criminal Law
Action: Signed
Effective: Jan. 01, 2018
* Sun-Times…
Cassidy credited reporting by the Chicago Sun-Times for highlighting the unfairness of the current law. “When you draw attention to something that’s ridiculous, then you get a chance to fix it,” she said.
The Sun-Times reported earlier this year that Chicago police have made thousands of arrests for gang contact by parolees, mostly after the city decriminalized low-level marijuana possession in 2012. The total includes 375 arrests made this year through mid-May, city data show.
Cops have arrested parolees for doing nothing other than sitting on porches, getting rides or hanging out with neighbors identified as gang members.
Police say they stepped up enforcement in an effort to prevent gun violence. But Kelly and other legislators said the law is tilted against people who’ve returned from prison to neighborhoods on Chicago’s South and West sides, where it’s difficult to avoid other ex-offenders.
The earlier Sun-Times report was headlined: “Even being seen with gang member sends 1,000s to jail.” Definitely worth a re-read.
*** UPDATE *** Again, not a single word out of the governor’s office on this bill signing even though he’s being pummeled for cavorting with racists. From a press release…
In the wake of growing outrage over acts of violence and hate in Charlottesville, VA, Governor Bruce Rauner this week signed legislation that strengthens penalties for those who commit hate crimes in Illinois.
State Representative David S. Olsen (R-Downers Grove), Chief Co-Sponsor of HB 2390, said the signing of the bill sends a clear message to those who would target others based on their race, color, creed, religion or other perceived classification that their behavior will not be tolerated.
“The nation is still reeling from the acts of domestic terrorism that occurred just two short weeks ago in Virginia,” said Olsen. “As lawmakers, we must do everything in our power to help prevent future instances of hate crimes. This is not a partisan issue; it’s a human issue. I was proud to serve as the leading Republican on this incredibly important piece of bipartisan legislation.”
HB 2390, signed into law on August 22 as Public Act 100-0260, increases the amount of damages for which a defendant can be held liable and also ensures that sentences for multiple convictions for hate crimes will be served consecutively rather than concurrently. The new law also includes an educational provision, so that rather than just being penalized for their crime, defendants will face an educational sentence so they may learn why their actions were wrong.
The bill received unanimous support in both the House and Senate during the spring legislative session.
19 Comments
|
|
Support CapitolFax.com Visit our advertisers...
...............
...............
...............
...............
...............
...............
...............
|
|
Hosted by MCS |
SUBSCRIBE to Capitol Fax |
Advertise Here |
Mobile Version |
Contact Rich Miller
|