*** UPDATED x1 - IL Policy Institute files complaint *** Jimmy John’s founder now says family will stay in Illinois while he moves to Florida

Friday, Sep 28, 2012

* Here we go again

The founder of Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches said during a Sept. 18 panel discussion in Chicago that he will relocate the company’s licensing division to Florida, where he plans to move in early 2013. Mr. Liautaud said in January 2011 that he applied for residency in Florida out of anger when Gov. Pat Quinn raised the corporate tax rate to 5 percent from 3 percent.

In remarks made last week as part of a half-day conference in Chicago on how tax policies affect corporate growth, Mr. Liautaud said the Florida move was just the first part of leaving Illinois for good.

“That’s what we’re going to do to start, but I think you’ll probably see us out of Illinois in the next four years and probably see us in Indiana or Austin (Texas), if I was to guess,” he said in the video. […]

While Mr. Liautaud said a year ago that the tax rate made him consider leaving Illinois, he said last week that it was state policy that cemented the move.

* Back in January of 2011, after the income tax was increased, Liautaud claimed he was already in the process of moving out of Illinois

Liautaud said he has rented a house in south Florida and his children started school there last week. He said he has applied for Florida residency and plans to commute to Champaign.

He said he doesn’t know yet whether he will put his home on West Armory Street on the market.

* But Liautaud apparently didn’t ever enroll his kids in a Florida school. At the event last week, he said this

“My wife’s gonna stay in Champaign with the kids and we’re gonna file separate income tax returns.”

* And instead of leaving Illinois himself almost two years ago, Liautaud became a Mitt Romney delegate in Illinois. Liautaud said last week that because of his delegate status, he’ll be around until January 1, when he’ll then move to Florida.

Or he won’t.

We’ll see.

* Video

Full video of the conference is here.

*** UPDATE *** As you can see if you try to watch the above video, the Illinois Policy Institute has claimed my excerpt is somehow a copyright violation.

This was a two minute excerpt from a 51 minute video, which was linked here and on my video’s YouTube page. Fair Use Doctrine ought to apply here and I intend to inform YouTube of this.

Ridiculous.

Anyway, go to about the 4 minute mark on their video and you’ll see Liautaud’s full comments.

[ *** End Of Update *** ]

* Roundup…

* Jimmy John’s leaving Illinois?

* Jimmy John’s Moving HQ Out of Illinois - Founder says company headquarters will be out of the state in next 2-4 years

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 1:44 pm:

Fun Fact: On March 28, 1984, the Baltimore Colts … moved in one night, via Mayflower Truck Line.

This is your Fun Fact.

2. - Lincoln Parker - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 1:50 pm:

===“What I mind is how they spend the tax,” he said. “I would stay, but the way they spend the tax is really driving me away.”===

So if it were Republicans spending his money, he would stay? It just sounds like he is unhappy with the political leadership of the state, not the actual tax rates.

3. - Michelle Flaherty - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 1:53 pm:

While he mulls his future residency, perhaps Mr. Jimmy John could tell me how many of my tax dollars went to have the government investigate why the food he was selling was making people sick.

4. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 1:54 pm:

The best is when people ask whether that means the local JJ’s will be moving.

5. - The Captain - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 1:54 pm:

This person’s drama is better suited for the Springer show than the pages of our newspapers.

6. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 1:56 pm:

Whatever. He must have been cutting too many onions for all the crying he’s done over things.

Still, he’s built a great business. The advertising is cool and the quality is a step up from other fast-food subs.

But the USP is the freaky-fast delivery, even of one sub.

Which he does on roads, all over the country, that he built himself…..

7. - Paul - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 1:59 pm:

How does one apply for residency in a state? I have never seen or heard of a residency application. It appears that the Florida corporate tax rate is 5.5% half a percent higher than Illinois. The corporate earnings must be apportioned between all the states in which that corporation does business. Talk about shooting oneself in the foot.

8. - Little Jimmy! - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:06 pm:

I remember when he opened his first subway shop behind Ikes and just a stone’s throw from the Panther Lounge at EIU. He was an interesting character then. Very committed to his business, you got to give the guy credit. I also remember sitting in the Panther Lounge one Saturday afternoon when the quiet of Charlston was disturbed by the sounds of a low flying chopper. We exited (a little bleary-eyed) to spot a Bell Ranger hovering a couple of hundred feet over Jimmy Johns. Apparently mumsy and daddy flew down to check out Junior’s restaurant. He does come from $$$ but he most certainly made his own too.

9. - The Captain - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:06 pm:

“I designed a logo and people pay me for the opportunity to make sandwiches with my logo on them so you must forever indulge my petulance.”

10. - railrat - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:07 pm:

“Gourmet”?? LOL.. uh don’t think so, maybe it’ll be easier to exploit help in Fla, Tx and Ind bye-bye !!!

11. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:11 pm:

Michelle,

That’s a good question, especially since as far as I know (and I haven’t delved too deep) many cases were not actually tied it to JJ’s…the authorities just always target whoever carries sprouts. Do you know how many times something causes publicity, and then they later find out oops, sorry for the bad press, the real culprit was “product X”?

I would also have to point out your apparent misunderstanding of the food process, in which a restaurant (or grocery store, etc.) orders from a produce company or similar supplier, who in turn orders from someone else.

It would be kind of like blaming your local car dealer for a manufacturing problem–they should help you take care of it, but they didn’t cause it. This is a somewhat poor analogy, though, since car dealers are at least associated with the manufacturer, whereas a restaurant is just a customer buying a product.

All of that is without going into the merits of those actual cases, or the nationalization of the food production process (answer this: does E.coli even naturally occur on sprouts, and if not, where is it coming from?), but I suspect we won’t let details or facts get in the way of a politically motivated attack…

12. - redrum - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:15 pm:

Who cares where Jimmy John’s goes? The food is marginal at best and way over priced. Make mine a subway!

13. - Michelle Flaherty - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:19 pm:

Liandro,
    My point is that Mr. Jimmy Johns doesnt’ like how Illinois taxes are spent. I’m pretty sure the state spent a fair amount of money making sure his employees who’d been exposed to e.coli were OK and able to return to work and that the food going through his restraunt was safe.
    That’s government service for you. That’s what my taxes and your taxes and his taxes go for.
    If he doesn’t like the state doing it, perhaps he should set up his own labs to test the materials he buys and passes on to the consuming public.
    Are you suggesting that a business has no responsibility for the materials and products it sells?

14. - Endangered Moderate Species - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:20 pm:

Jimmy is an accomplished businessman. Unfortunately, his political views are wearing. Listening to his constant threats has had the same affect on my stomach as his alfalfa sprouts.

15. - walkinfool - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:20 pm:

Yeah. He gave up on complaining about Illinois’ tax burdens on his business, when he found out that both Florida and Indiana (and many other states) are actually higher. Sometimes companies do get special temporary breaks for moving, or staying.

I have seen many other Republican business owners switch their complaints away from state tax burdens, when their CFO’s or accountants educated them on reality.

16. - Because I said so... - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:23 pm:

Good riddance! I stopped patronizing Jimmy John’s when he moaned about the amount of money Illinois spends on higher education despite the fact that he seems to make a great deal of money off college students. Hypocrite.

17. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:27 pm:

I also have to point out, to all these silly people making political attacks against the product (it’s really pathetic, guys) that maybe you should just voice your ACTUAL issues with what is being said and done.

I understand that for many of you libs this gives you a chance to actually rage out (a normal person can’t exactly refuse to buy any more CAT machines, or boycott a major cargo trucking company…). Instead, take a deep breath, take a hard look at the actual economics involved in a major company, and then say something intelligent about why he is wrong.

I give Paul points for attempting to do this, but since Jimmy only is moving HIMSELF to Florida, and his COMPANY to either TX, IN, or MI (only ones I’ve heard so far), he gets no points for actually landing a real comment.

Come on guys, we can do this–a rational debate about whether a company should stay in IL! Maybe I’m asking too much?

18. - dave - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:33 pm:

i believe Florida has no personal income tax. That is why he is moving there. It is a smart move. I think the corporate is going to be Indiana or Texas.
    i have a small business (only 8 employees) and I’m thinking of moving across the border to Indiana. Looked into buying the building we are in. Property taxes on our $150,000 building are $18000 a year. That is a joke. 12%
    A friend owns a 1960’s style gas station with 2 doors for car repairs in IL, $33000 a year property taxes.

19. - Endangered Moderate Species - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:34 pm:

“I understand that for many of you libs”

Liandro- for a guy asking for rational discussion, you are pretty quick with the name calling.

20. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:35 pm:

Michelle,

First, the company did order tests on sprouts, and has actually been testing new sprouts for the past few months, including several different growing styles. So not only are they taking responsibility for their product, they are actually changing an entire production method to get a better result. That, of course, doesn’t make it into the press.

Second, no one (including, AFAIK, the admittedly loud Jimmy) is stating there should be no government. That is a straw man trotted out far too often. His point, and I would agree with him on this, is that Illinois’ past and current spending priorities makes him queasy about keeping many aspects of his corporation based here.

21. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:37 pm:

I don’t consider “libs” name calling. You can call me a conservative, and I won’t get insulted in the slightest. I also don’t consider “liberal” insulting, and I know plenty of people who claim that just as much as I claim “conservative”.

22. - Wensicia - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:37 pm:

I’d just as soon not hear from him again. Adios.

23. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:37 pm:

Liberal is an ideology, not a slur…

24. - Demoralized - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:38 pm:

@dave:

See you later and good riddance. I have no respect for people like you.

25. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:39 pm:

John Tillman you’re a joke.

26. - 47th Ward - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:39 pm:

Is he still here?

Yeah, Florida is great. Everybody tents their backyards because the mosquitos are so thick and viscious. It’s nothing but arts, fine dining, culture and swampland in the Sunshine State.

Enjoy yourself Mr. Liautaud. We’ll leave a light on for you in case you change your mind.

27. - Demoralized - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:39 pm:

@Liandro:

“Libs” is the childish comment only the hyper-partisan throw out there. Nice try though.

28. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:40 pm:

Liandro, JJs is staying in Illinois, and will continue to pay corporate taxes (maybe — only about a third do) on the money his company makes here.

It sounds like he’s moving himself, and taking his headquarters with him for his convenience, to get out of personal income taxes. I imagine he could talk to his friend Mitt and figure out another way to reduce his personal income tax.

But that’s his business. It’s a free country. He’s not the first guy to build a business, make some money and move to a gated community in Florida. Not everyone likes scraping the windshield in March.

I’ll still buy the chow (way better than Subway). But enough with the victim-talk. He’s not a victim. He’s living large, and good for him.

Most folks work hard. The hardest job in the world is being broke. It’s very easy to achieve but very difficult to maintain in a dignified or reasonable manner.

And everyone gets some support from their community. A little luck goes a long way, too. Never underestimate a little luck. Or timing. Or being in the right place at the right time.

29. - Anonymous - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:47 pm:

I think that many of the people that worship the current state leadership are going to be almighty surprised when much of the individual money starts leaving this state. When the pension mess blows up, contrary to Miller and many other talking heads, money is going to leave. Corporations may stay, but the individual money will disappear. Why stay in this rat hole and pay excessive taxes when there are many states without income taxes (they have other taxes). I understand why he hasn’t left at this time since he has children in school.

30. - Judgment Day - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:48 pm:

“I’m pretty sure the state spent a fair amount of money making sure his employees who’d been exposed to e.coli were OK and able to return to work and that the food going through his restaurant was safe.”

It’s all the local health departments (normally funded through property taxes and/or food safety license fees) who get to do the heavy lifting, and any fbi (food borne illness) investigations.

The IDPH Local Health Protection Grant money is almost all federal CDC pass thru money.

It’s the locals who do the serious work with food safety, not the State of Illinois. These days (Blago time going forward), they just mostly aggregate data (and attend meetings).

31. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:52 pm:

@Demoralized,

Speaking of “nice try”, I will gladly give the full spelling of “liberals” every time if you will tone down the outrage (which I have a very hard time believing is real) and actually make a point about the topic.

32. - Rich Miller - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:52 pm:

===Why stay in this rat hole===

I know that Pana isn’t a beautiful city, but it’s a rat hole? Really?

33. - bmcosti - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:54 pm:

Here’s a link that goes directly to the 4 minute mark. http://youtu.be/hXaqQMq8Jl0?t=4m

34. - walkinfool - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:57 pm:

Dave: you clearly have a problem with local real estate tax, which is of course not a state tax in Illinois. Many people move their businesses between communities within Illinois for that very reason.

You might get a better deal in Indiana on total tax burden, (including all levels of government) — just do your full research with some locals where you’re looking.

My own experience with small business owners in Indiana is that they often complain about taxes being higher than what they could get in Illinois. It’s a “grass is always greener” thing, at first blush.

Best wishes with your business.

35. - Just Observing - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:58 pm:

You would think IPI would want CapFax to promote their work??? IPI, what’s up??

36. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 2:59 pm:

Word,

Not much you said I can disagree with. I’ve met Jimmy personally (I used to manage for corporate JJ’s in Ann Arbor while in college), and I have no doubt his frustration with state government eats at him and is a factor in his decision (if he makes one, heh). The main difference between him and other companies considering such things is how vocal he is about his frustrations and potential decisions. Most businessman wouldn’t do that, and that’s just his personality (for better or worse).

37. - zatoichi - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:02 pm:

So JJ plans to commute to Champaign from Florida, maintain a separate home for his wife/kids, and file separate income tax. Sounds like a real fun household. And all those additional costs are still cheaper than paying income tax in Illinois? He must be pulling in some heavy bucks. Of course he never uses any road, facility, or service supported by state tax dollars because taxes are too high?

38. - Judgment Day - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:03 pm:

Re: Sprouts.

Normally raised in water, can’t really cook (and that’s the only sure fire way to eliminate e.coli), so when you use sprouts, there’s always a chance. Remember, sprouts (actually, alfalfa sprouts) are raw food, so there’s always a risk of contamination. Note that some of the same issues apply to different fruits.

Many e.coli infections of raw foods are traced back to contaminated water, which tends to be the transmission medium.

Here’s a link which provides a viewpoint from the ‘Sprout Industry’ (yes, there is a ‘Sprout Industry’) that contains so pretty useful information and is actually a fairly balanced position, and answers some of your questions.

39. - Endangered Moderate Species - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:03 pm:

Liandro- What State spending is JJ unhappy with? His comment is very broad and does not help explain where he believes cuts are needed. Is he unhappy with pensions, roads, education, higher education, public safety?

40. - Demoralized - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:05 pm:

@Liandro:

Actually, to be more on topic, the business-types in this state have been beating the drums on Illinois’ financial situation. What right thinking person did not think that part of that solution would involve an increase in taxes? What they really meant is solve the problem but don’t expect us to participate. EVERYBODY knew that a tax hike was going to have to be part of any solution. Now, have enough spending cuts taken place yet. Probably not. And is the tax hike likely going to be permanent. It should be unless the state wants to plummet into even worse shape. And, as others have said, the suggestion that our tax rates are out of line is laughable.

But I still think “Mr. Jimmy” is a blowhard who want to simply take his ball and stomp away from the playground.

41. - Marie - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:12 pm:

Um, wow. This running to the copyright police is getting old. Can’t people who are in the same community just talk to each other?

42. - Marie - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:14 pm:

I believe two minutes out of 51 would be found to be well within fair use by a judge.

43. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:15 pm:

Judgement Day,

Without clicking through your link, my understanding is also that water tends to be the transmission medium, generally tied to contamination of the water table. And if I’m to believe “Food, Inc.” it’s due to the way we raise livestock nowadays, but that goes far past my level of expertise.

@Endangered,

Honestly, that’s the same question I have, and I don’t have time to watch the IPI click Rich has up atm. Based on what I’ve heard (hearsay warning!) he is frustrated that the debt levels haven’t been addressed, frustrated with the pension situation, and thinks there are too many opportunities for the able-bodied to free-load on Illinois’ support system. Again, that is (mostly) hearsay, and hardly a nuanced policy break-down lol.

44. - Glass Houses - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:17 pm:

Seems like if they’re so concerned with copyright, they’d take down the WSJ editorial that’s behind the pay wall that they’ve reposted in its entirety.

45. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:21 pm:

–Why stay in this rat hole–

Another victim heard from.

It’s a mobile society, daddio. Don’t hide your light under a bushel.

46. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:24 pm:

When I cash my chips, in case anyone is wondering:

Sprouts had nothing to do with it.

47. - Ahoy! - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:34 pm:

IPI should know better than to mess with Rich Miller.

48. - Endangered Moderate Species - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:35 pm:

“too many opportunities for the able-bodied to free-load on Illinois’ support system.”

Liandro- Now, I think you are getting to the meat and bones of the debate, poor people taking advantage of hardworking business people.

49. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:35 pm:

@Demoralized,

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. If government had any sort of track record of using tax hikes wisely, and matching it with cuts, a lot more businessmen would understand. Instead, we get tax hikes combined with no stomach for cuts, and have to watch debt climb higher on top of painful taxes. That’s when it’s not just conservatives like me crying foul.

The cynical part of me doesn’t think it matters, since voters just keep sending the same powers back to run the finances. It blows my mind that we can be run so terribly, and still pick not just the same party, but often the SAME EXACT people to lead us…but I’m drifting off-topic now.

50. - Third Reading - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:37 pm:

Jimmy touts “freaky fast delivery.”

Do us a favor, sir.

Be freaky fast in leaving.

More correctly - FINALLY leaving.

I’m outta here.

51. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:42 pm:

@EMS,

Possibly. With my background, I can tell you all about people milking the system. I can tell you about couples the won’t get married so she can collect welfare. I can tell you about people getting military school benefits and welfare at the same time, all while refusing to back their old job on redeployment from the combat zone. I can tell you about people hunting down jobs that pay under the table so that they can continue to collect welfare. I can tell you about people who go get their nursing degree, realize that they will make too much to qualify for the same benefits, so keep lower paying job.

I could also tell you about people fighting their way up out of it…including how my family did it. I know plenty of stories going both ways.

52. - Third Reading - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:42 pm:

I forgot.

Get a load of this:

Seems like JJ “still hasn’t found what he’s looking for.”

I’m outta here.

53. - wordslinger - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:44 pm:

–”too many opportunities for the able-bodied to free-load on Illinois’ support system.”–

Seriously, do you guys believe that? Everyone has an anecdotal story or two, just like $400 hammers at the Pentagon.

But do you really think there’s some sweet ride on the dole? That the majority doesn’t want to get out? That the issue might be a little more complicated?

Why doesn’t everyone sign up?

54. - Endangered Moderate Species - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:48 pm:

Liandro- good points, you obviously have some first hand experiences that aggravate you. Wouldn’t JJ serve the debate much better if he addressed similar issues, rather than taking such a wide brushstroke at our entire State. Most of us do not plan to leave. We are Illinoisans and proud to be. Let’s work through our differences rather than threaten to take our ball and play in another backyard.

55. - Happy Returns - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:48 pm:

Copyright violation? The government shouldn’t be involved in that - the free market should decide!

56. - really confused - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 3:58 pm:

What exactly is this “welfare” that everyone keeps referring to? It’s been a few years since I worked in a related area, but at the state level the concept of no-strings-attached cash benefits has pretty much been inoperative since about 1996. If you want to receive something that approximates the aid formerly available (TANF) be prepared to have a DHS caseworker getting up in your grill about work requirements and more. It’s not a free lunch. Maybe people are exercised about folks getting food stamps (which strikes me as exceptionally cruel in the current environment) or federal SSI benefits (sub- poverty level assistance to the disabled). But neither comes from the State of Illinois or is set by state policy.

Sure, you can find lazy people freeloading off the system, just as you can find cranky rich guy CEOs channeling their inner John Galt. But this mythology around welfare is just fantasy.

57. - Liandro - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 4:05 pm:

EMS,

He probably would be. Heck, when I ran for office those were some of the things I wanted to solve…I have no bigger mission in life then ensuring others have a crack at the American Dream.

Word,

I can’t vouch for anyone but myself, but I know what I’ve lived. The short, non-specific answer to your question: some people are more short-sighted than others.

I can’t tell you how many friends (and NOT friends) and, more recently, employees I’ve said those exact words to. Some listened, some didn’t.

58. - Michelle Flaherty - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 4:05 pm:

Judgement Day.
    sorry, you are wrong.
    The state public health department has the labs, not the locals.

And I’ve begun to think that this is an awful lot of attention for a guy retiring to Florida. It’s not like that doesn’t happen everyday.

If every aging Illinoisan who moved to Phoenix or Florida had a news conference, that’s all there’d be.

59. - Bus Orgs - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 4:14 pm:

All of you talking about corporate taxes are way off. JJ is an LLC therefore it is a pass through entity and not affected by corporate tax rates. IL increaseing its incomes taxes 66% is where JJ and the other owners loose there money. Know which laws affect which business before you try to debate.

60. - Demoralized - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 4:20 pm:

@Liandro:

Don’t you think that certain of your stories might point to a problem with wages, just as much as a problem with the welfare system?

Although I do agree somewhat with the wackiness of things. I know somebody who is on SNAP. They work and are a divorced single mom. They are truly needy and aren’t taking advantage of the system. They just recently interviewed for a job so they declined SNAP in case they get the job b/c they didn’t want to worry about any potential pay back scenarios. If the job doesn’t come through this person will have to also go on Medicaid b/c they are now having a few health issues. You know what? If you go on Medicaid they increase your SNAP benefits. And they also told her if she also signed up for LIHEAP her SNAP benefit would increase even more? What the??

61. - Demoralized - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 4:21 pm:

I should have said above that they declined SNAP for the upcoming month.

62. - Bemused - Friday, Sep 28, 12 @ 4:58 pm:

Here’s my problem with Mr. Jimmy. He gets his start in this state and seems to intend to continue to suck as much money as he can from the people of this state, yet when somthing dosn’t go his way he is outta here. Plenty of places to get a good sub, I won’t be going to his.

* $3 million in one pop from Rauner
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - State House fundraising report
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Has the haymaker punch arrived?
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - State Senate fundraising report
* Third straight poll shows Rauner leading Quinn
* Last call for tickets!
* Vast Majority of Illinois Voters Support Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency
* Sun-Times reporters want you to sign their petition
* Same song, different century
* Quinn finally wins a newspaper endorsement!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Today's cable TV buy report
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Crosstabs, TV ads
* Report: Another tie between Rauner and CS-T chairman
* Bost's "anger," Cook's ratings, Foster's ad
* $580 MILLION EXELON RATE HIKE?? That’s the price tag for their nuke bailout…EVERY YEAR!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Rauner pumping dollars
* Rauner pushing IDOT back into the news stream
* Gov. Quinn runs new TV ad featuring FLOTUS
* No, your eyes didn't deceive you
* Good morning!

* Google Nexus 9, Nexus 6, iPad Air 2 comments & more – Pocketnow Daily Recap
        * Android Lollipop imminent, new Nexuses nearing, no more Nokia | Pocketnow Weekly 119
        * U.K. Startup Swytch Is Building An App To Open Up The ‘Burner’ Phone Number Market
        * Lockdown Pro allows selectively locking almost any app
        * Pronto Fast Charge battery gives a full charge in 5 minutes
        * GunFinger is a zombie shooter with fun shooting gameplay
        * Samsung answers design questions for Note 4, Note Edge

* CVS, Rite Aid Shut Down Support for Apple Pay
        * Know How to Spot the Signs of a Hidden Handgun
        * Twitter Acquires Twitpic's Archive, Saga Finally Ends
        * Add Public Transportation to Your Weight Loss Plans
        * Nexus 6 Passes Through the FCC
        * Twitpic says it has reached a deal with Twitter, images and domain will continue to exist
        * Empty the Gas Tank Before Storing Your Lawn Mower for Winter

* A 15-GIF salute to Moises Sierra's White Sox career
        * Konerko caps stellar career with Clemente Award
        * Konerko caps stellar career with Clemente Award
        * World Series Game 3: Notes and discussion
        * Rollins, Konerko named co-winners of Clemente Award
        * Alexei Ramirez and Adam Eaton Gold Glove finalists, but maybe not f...
        * Longtime scout Provas passes away after battle with cancer