*** UPDATED x1 - State of emergency declared *** Weather reports

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013

* My pollster was resending a file to me this morning and wrote this in his email…

Sorry…lost power TWICE while trying to get this out. Building an ark…

Part of my back yard looks like a lake. Luckily, it’s the part away from my house. Oscar the puppy stays in the basement laundry room (it’s nicer than it may sound) when I’m not around, but I think I may move him upstairs in case we get a lengthy power outage and it floods. The power went out briefly yesterday, so I’m a little worried. Need to get a generator.

By popular demand, here’s a couple more pics of the little guy…

In answer to your questions, he’s five months old and is a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier.

* Anyway, how is it by you?

*** UPDATE *** Gov. Pat Quinn has declared a state of emergency in response to the flooding…

Gov. Pat Quinn has issued an emergency declaration following the flooding and severe weather affecting areas across Illinois.

Quinn issued the declaration Thursday. The action will allow the state to access federal resources including generators, pump systems sandbags and additional funds. The declaration is a step below a disaster emergency declaration.

Quinn says the American Red Cross has opened two shelters in north central Illinois. One is in Oglesby and another in Roanoke.

Click here to check out a very, very long list of flooded state roads.

* DuPage County’s courthouse has shut down

Severe flooding has closed the DuPage County courthouse in Wheaton, delaying the start of a triple-murder trial that was set to begin today.

State’s Attorney Bob Berlin said jurors slated to hear testimony in the high-profile Johnny Borizov case were notified of the delay early this morning. […]

Officials said flooded parking lots and roads on the county campus at Manchester and County Farm Roads made it nearly impossible for travelers to access the courthouse, as well as the health department and other government buildings there, which also were closed. […]

DuPage County has received 4 to 5 inches of rainfall since Wednesday, and 1 to 2 more inches were forecast for Thursday.

* Sinkholes

A rainstorm pummeling the Chicago area ripped open a sinkhole Thursday that swallowed three cars, injuring one driver badly enough that he had to be hospitalized. Blasts of torrential rain and widespread flooding forced authorities to shut segments of major expressways, and hundreds of flights were scrapped.

Schools were closed, commuter trains slowed to a crawl and a local emergency agency to the north, in Lake County, drafted jail inmates to fill sandbags.

The gaping sinkhole opened up a residential street on Chicago’s South Side just before 5:30 a.m. after a cast iron water main dating back to 1915 broke during the massive storm. The hole spanned the entire width of the road and chewed up grassy areas abutting the sidewalk. Two of the cars that disappeared inside had been parked, but a third was being driven when the road buckled and caved in. Only the front-end of one of the vehicles could be seen peeking up along the edge of the chasm.

1. - Aldyth - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 8:57 am:

I run a program for people with disabilities out in western Illinois. We had to shut down because the sewer system is so overloaded with water, toilets won’t flush. You cannot operate without flushing toilets. One third of my staff are off dealing with flooded basements.

Not a good day out here in Forgottonia.

2. - Leave a Light on George - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 8:59 am:

One of the first signs of senior status is serious conversation about the weather. When checking your rain gauge is the most important task of the day you have arrived.

Over an inch at my house already.

3. - Anonymous - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:02 am:

My best dog ever Whiskers” was a Wheaton. Roamed Kankakee looking for action all day. That was allowed in the 50’s

4. - ??? - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:04 am:

I live on the north side of Chicago (Lincoln Park area). Heavy rains this morning, but no real problems with my commute downtown, as Lake Shore Drive was not closed. However, the local news (which pre-empted the national morning talk show)reported lots of highway closures, school closures, and flash flooding in the Chicago area and major traffic backups on the expressways that weren’t closed. Also, some Metra delays due to weather.

5. - Levois - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:08 am:

It’s just wet where I am. And sadly I have some errands to do today. So I have to get out in this!

6. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:09 am:

Kendall County is as much of a mess as anywhere.

Fields flooded, low areas have become very deep holding areas for water, and ditches are overflowing onto the roads leaving a great deal of standing water.

Mixed bag on basements, depending on how high of ground the house is sitting.

Be safe, all.

7. - Amalia - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:15 am:

suburban Chicago is quite wet, though basements are seepage and spill over water to mop and drain, not sewer water.

but, mood all better now…PUPPY CAM!!!!

stay safe everyone. the reports are very frightening, much worse than the flood of 1987.

8. - Ucster - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:18 am:

Nice looking puppy.

Lots of rain in the metro-east this morning made for slow going for commuters.

9. - Dirty Red - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:24 am:

Does Oscar need to borrow my water wings? I think we’re about the same size.

10. - Charlie Leonard - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:24 am:

Bad juju set to hit SO IL later today.

11. - wordslinger - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:29 am:

Oak Park K-8 closed because of transportation problems (must be out-of-town staff; virtually all the kids walk).

I can’t recall a time in metro Chicago when so many schools were closed due to rain.

Backyard flooded, but the sewers are doing their job. I’ve never had a drop in my basement; some things are worth paying for.

The birds are having a great time in the backyard.

12. - Just Me - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:40 am:

All the streets in my Chicago neighborhood are flooded. My dog didn’t enjoy going out this morning at all. I can jump over the puddles, she can’t and has to walk through them.

13. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:42 am:

Puppy pics are good for morale after this week.

My dog Louis woke me up a couple hours before the rain started to be let outside; smart fellow, that one.

No flooding at AA’s but industrial-grade sump-pump
    is humming non-stop.

14. - Voltaire - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:43 am:

North side of Chicago has lots of flooding around my area. I’ll be going home in the afternoon to check on the basement - we rent and the building is not exactly “high quality” overall so I fear things could get ugly.

15. - anon sequitor - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:47 am:

Driving through the west suburbs was an exercise in lake and river dodging. Since your post mentioned “Wheaton”, that town now has a new lake in the center of town.

16. - Sir Reel - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 9:54 am:

It was raining so hard in Central Illinois at 6:30 my dog refused to go out and I’m looking forward to the results when I get home. Every depression full of water.

17. - Loop Lady - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:01 am:

Near west suburbs of Chicago along Eisenhower are being held captive by the Des Plaines River. Basement sewer hole backing up, water seepage up through the floors via the tile grout and along perimeter of basement.
    Sump pump doesn’t shut off. Yard flooded, golf course I play is toast…soggy toast…

18. - Amalia - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:02 am:

@ Wordslinger, please tell us the essentials of your opus, “Secrets to a dry basement” the rest of us need to plan.

19. - Darienite - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:03 am:

The Metra gates at Cass Avenue in Westmont were in the down. Was rerouted and encountered three streets in Downers Grove completely flooded. Got into Chicago 1 hour late.

Think Cog Hill will be open for play Sunday?

20. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:04 am:

A little late for work because I don’t want to stand outside in that, waiting for the train on an elevated platform. So I waited until the lightening let up.

21. - Wensicia - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:08 am:

A lot of people didn’t show up for work today because most of the major roads into our city are flooded.

Beautiful dog; I love the coloring of this breed.

22. - Boat captain - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:09 am:

2 inches so far in southwest IL. Been raining hard here since 4 am. IL river rising fast!

23. - wordslinger - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:13 am:

–please tell us the essentials of your opus, “Secrets to a dry basement” the rest of us need to plan.–

Dumb luck. The sewers run free, that’s all I know.

24. - Amalia - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:15 am:

@Wordslinger, thanks. thought you might have ideas beyond good sewers. some places need a bigger boost than those.

though “Dumb Luck” might be the title of an opus of a few pols I know…..

25. - Wensicia - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:18 am:

I should mention the flooding is caused by the Des Plains River up here in Lake County. It’s way over its banks and expected to set a record. Many school districts are closed today.

26. - RNUG - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:19 am:

Glad I moved to a house w/o a basement … but it’s been raining / blowing so hard we’ve gotten a bit of water leakage from the furnace stack even though it has a cap on it.

27. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:21 am:

What an adorable dog! I never heard of the breed before.

Chicago is deluged. I had a flood in my basement, and the ground around me is almost a lake. I used to have a check valve at a different house, to prevent floods, and it worked. It might be time to reinvest in another one.

My dog kept me awake for part of last night. She is old and terrified of thunder.

28. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:21 am:

Lots of viaduct flooding in North Center/Ravenswood, which is wreaking havoc with morning commuters. So far my basement is dry but at one point the water was rising so fast in the back yard that I thought it might spill in through the doorway.

Is your boat secure Rich, or has it wandered off again?

29. - Jake from Elwood - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:34 am:

Supposed to go downtown but aborted that plan as it took over an hour to leave my town. Missed all the express trains also. 195 minutes later arrived at my workplace which is normally a 35 minute drive. Lots of stalled cars in viaducts and on roadways. Ugh.

30. - geronimo - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:38 am:

Over 6 inches in Eastern DuPage county. Schools closed, those open sending kids home early. Roads closed, flooded, street storm sewers backing up, making roads impassable. More to come they say.

31. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:38 am:

===Is your boat secure Rich, or has it wandered off again? ===

It’s at the marina.

32. - OneMan - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:43 am:

Well unlike the other districts in the area Oswego 308 decided to hold classes so I drove my daughter to Oswego East, had to take a different route than normal and still had to go down a road that was closed (water was lower than some open roads) so got to have the first ‘Don’t you drive like this even though I am’ conversation with her.

Got her to school to find out some of the power was out, the other HS in the district had water coming out of a drain on the floor (they had a fountain like some fancy HS).

She informs me they are doing nothing, either sitting in class doing nothing or sitting in the auditorium if the class has no teacher. Bet they still get the state aid for the day…

Lots of flooding, a bus even got stuck.

Also took two hours to come in on Metra on a “express”

33. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:43 am:

Kendall County Lincoln Day postponed.

34. - 32nd Ward Roscoe Village - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:57 am:

I usually take Elston instead of getting on the Kennedy at Damen to go to work, but viaduct on Elston west of Ashland was flooded, so I got on the Kennedy at Damen and no problem to the loop. It was reported to me by a neighbor that at the Western entrance to the Kennedy, cars were driving around a barrier to get on and then had to u-turn on the ramp when they met with yellow tape blocking it off. The barrier is there for a reason, people.

35. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:58 am:

===Kendall County Lincoln Day postponed.===

NOW what am I going to do?

36. - Responsa - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:04 am:

When installed about 15 years ago it was called “the Cadillac of sump pumps” and was priced accordingly. Sometime overnight it died. Good times.

37. - Broke - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:21 am:

Darling little puppy!

38. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:24 am:

- Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:58 am:

===Kendall County Lincoln Day postponed.===

NOW what am I going to do?

18:40 ff

39. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 12:16 pm:

- Cincinnatus -

Well done.

I guess I will have to wait until the next Kendall County Lincoln Day Dinner comes around…

40. - LisleMike - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 12:49 pm:

Lisle has declared state of emergency. Water everywhere and sandbag stations set up in three places around town. Benedictine University has set up area for displaced to stay. So far, electricity is up, but if it goes….sump pump go out and then….. Water higher in my yard than I have ever seen it previously. House OK for now, but there always tomorrow!

41. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:11 pm:

“Updated X1″…”Cadillac” sump pump still humming along. Smoke alarms upstairs go off-no smoke. Twice. After Round 2, I take a close look at one, and determine that it is squawking because..the roof is leaking above it and frying its electronics.
    Oh. Snap.

42. - Amalia - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:42 pm:

surfing around (no, not in the street) and see that there is another sinkhole….Foster and Elston in Chicago. talk about your decaying urban infrastructure.

Stay safe. mop. get bleach.

43. - LINK - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:52 pm:

Just checked river gauges…..

Record for Peoria was set in 1943 at 28.8′. This looks a little low compared to what they are calling for as the projected crest at Peoria pool is now 30′.

44. - just sayin' - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 2:11 pm:

that pooch is looking more like Rich every day. lol

45. - Amalia - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 2:29 pm:

Tribune website has a video of Jennifer Weigel and her basement water problem along with a list of what to do when the basement gets water. good advice on how to air out/dry out things if you can do that.

46. - foster brooks - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 3:16 pm:

Rock river in Byron expecting record crest sunday

47. - Nearly Normal - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 3:20 pm:

Roanoke, a village in Woodford County on IL 116, has been partially flooded by Panther Creek. People near the creek have been evacuated to a Red Cross shelter at the Lutheran Church. The creek is usually only about a foot deep and is in a deep ditch on the southeast corner of the village. It was out of its banks on Sunday and then got worse. The affected area is lower than the rest of the village.

Pontiac is keeping an eye on the river and is on a River Flood Watch until tomorrow morning.

48. - Nearly Normal - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 3:38 pm:

From the City of Pontiac webpage–

The National Weather Service has projected a crest for the Vermilion River at 15.4 feet on Saturday morning. A total of 15 feet is considered moderate flood stage with some significant street flooding in low lying areas.

49. - Jake from Elwood - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 5:36 pm:

Man that dog is handsome.
    I will have to research the breed and see if they are good with kids.

50. - wishbone - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 6:29 pm:

All the folks across the street lost power at 4 am (it is still out). One had 4 feet of water in his basement, and another had a toilet backup into his kitchen sink. Think Carnival Cruise.

51. - Lang's Assistant - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 7:11 pm:

If you ever need a dog sitter, please count me in!

52. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 7:30 pm:

I wanted to post this earlier, but the day got away from me.

Oscar Rules. Oscar brought a big smile on more than a few faces today, including mine. Dogs do that, especially when they are as cute as Oscar.

* Prepare for a skewering
* Rauner apologizes for no budget, blames Dems
* This just in... Mautino to be recommended for Auditor General
* Study: Four of the ten worst cities for African-Americans are in Illinois
* Lip service
* Today's quotable
* War of words resumes
* BND collects two more scalps
* McCarter gearing up to challenge Shimkus
* Caption contest!
* Sorry to see him go, happy to see the other guy leave
* "Unclear" on the concept
* A complete leadership stalemate
* Behind the impasse
* Report: Child care more expensive than state university tuition
* We're not exactly Old Faithful here
* Good morning!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* HTC One A9, Vive, other smartphones expected to boost figures in Q4
* Telegram update brings Marshmallow support and compatibility for fingerprint unlocking
* Google Translate updated with compatibility for third-party applications
* Porsche doesn’t trust Android Auto and refuses to put it in their cars
* Microsoft Lumia / Surface event in 3 minutes | Pocketnow Daily
* T-Mobile: AT&T carriage of Lumia 950 is exclusive
* Disney removes many popular games from the Play Store

* Hawk Harrelson's reduced schedule creates opportunity for White Sox...
* Holliday, Ventura connection goes way back
* 2015 in 3 words: Sale, Abreu, inconsistency
* Hawk cutting '16 broadcast schedule
* Podcast: Shifting the target
* White Sox face toll of three losing seasons
* Montas solid, but offense silenced in finale

* Letter: Time to rally against Rauner's agenda -.....
* Providers, clients bash Illinois Gov. Rauner ad.....
* Providers, clients bash Rauner administration c.....

* Chicago police chief takes tough questions after complaints
* Illinois stops paying local health clinics for STD testing
* Panel recommends Rep. Mautino for Illinois Auditor General
* EXCHANGE: Nachusa Grasslands plans to add bison this fall
* Route 66 Museum to hold auction in Springfield
* Suburban college recognized for campus safety efforts
* Metra installs charging stations downtown Chicago
* Police superintendent to face alderman demanding his firing
* Terrorism suspect due in court for 2nd straight day
* Chicago aldermen demand firing of police superintendent

* Providers, clients bash Rauner administration changes to day care eligibility
* Illinois stops paying local health clinics for STD testing
* Panel recommends Rep. Mautino for Illinois auditor general
* Chancellor Koch: Budget pressures growing for UIS, other schools
* Illinois to implement new ratings for schools, districts
* Budget impasse cuts services for domestic abuse victims
* Weaver tapped to replace LaHood in Illinois Senate
* Peoria city councilman tapped to replace Darin LaHood in Illinois Senate

* Art Institute President Douglas Druick is retiring
* McCarthy says he'll stay on despite complaints
* DC mayor announces settlement in Exelon, Pepco merger
* Exelon-Pepco merger just got a big step closer
* Hyatt Regency debuts largest campaign in its history

* Regular season carries more weight than ever for Blackhawks
* Meet the newest Blackhawks
* Patrick Kane remains the Blackhawks’ biggest X-factor
* NHL season preview and predictions
* Mihalopoulos: Ald. Burns could wind up feeling the heat
* ‘I’m not done,’ Karen Lewis says a year after cancer diagnosis
* McCarthy ‘extremely disrespectful’ to council, one alderman tells him
* McCarthy ‘extremely disrespectful’ to council, Ald. Beale tells top cop
* Emanuel on McCarthy: ‘I’m standing by him’
* Neighborhood fests overlooked, some aldermen say

* 1 dead, 8 wounded in shootings
* Trial underway for man accused of killing Metra officer
* Chicago Teachers Union president running for re-election
* Pilsen residents kept waiting for cleanup of toxic lead contamination
* Lawmakers ask state education officials to explain superintendent perk
* Emanuel wants CPS property tax hike but mum on spending specifics
* Plainfield toddler hurt in lawn mower accident
* Murder charge filed in 2013 crash that killed Chicago boy during cop chase
* Cops: 1 in custody after police shoot at suspect who tried to run them down
* Man given 40 years in prison in cold case murder of teenage mother

* Providers, clients bash Rauner administration changes to day care eligibility
* Illinois stops paying local health clinics for STD testing
* Panel recommends Rep. Mautino for Illinois auditor general
* Michael Gerson: Presidential tantrums won't end gun violence
* E.J. Dionne: The conservative evasion on guns
* Michael Solberg and Amy Ayala: System works against the mentally ill in Illinois' prisons, jails
* Esther Cepeda: Spare the talk of an 'Asian invasion'
* Kathleen Parker: The GOP’s (New) McCarthyism
* Clark Bullard: Unclear if CWLP’s proposed rate changes are fair
* Chancellor Koch: Budget pressures growing for UIS, other schools

* Tuesday's highlights: Hedge leads strong golf contingent
* Youthful Chargers spin surprise
* Scheelhaase comfortable on road
* Tolono board likely to decide on coyote issue at next meeting
* Teams of the Week: A-O volleyball shows way
* Zilis: Girls' swimming & diving storylines
* Athletes of the Week: McFarland and Pence
* Area volleyball leaders (Week of Oct. 5)
* Woman sentenced to probation in heroin case
* Why I Love the Dead: A Microcosm

* Train hazmat scare turns out to be only an air leak
* 8 ways the world has changed since the Cubs' last one-game playoff
* Celebrating end of big road project in Round Lake Beach
* Classes off in McHenry again Wednesday as negotiations continue
* Freight train possibly leaking hazardous substance in Wheeling

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Lawmakers Look at Sentencing Reform - Rive......
* Lawmakers Look at Sentencing Reform - Alto......
* Durbin supports bill to boost regulation o......
* Senator Durbin Discusses Landmark Sentenci......

* Duckworth, Kirk trade barbs over Letterman......

* Carjacking Suspect Returned To Illinois To Face Charges, Including Murder
* Cubbie power elicits little more than a yawn from some of us these days
* Where Am I Located?
* Kotowski's Replacement To Be Sworn Into State Senate
* Americans Receive Out-Of-Network Medical Bills That Reach 'Exorbitant' Heights, Report Finds
* Report: Many U.S. States Fall Short On ID Card Access For Homeless LGBT Youth
* Legislative Panel Recommends Mautino For State Auditor General Post
* Chicago Alderman Stalls Charter School Moratorium Resolution
* Emergency Meeting Held With Electeds To Discuss Chicago Violence
* U.S. Supreme Court Could Take Up Controversial Cases On Abortion, Union Fees

* IEMA Announces Elgin Community College Attains ‘Ready to Respond Campus’ Designation - Elgin one of five Illinois campuses to receive distinction
* New Mortgage Loan Interface Increases Efficiency, Compliance
* State Fire Marshal Ushers In Fire Prevention Week - “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep!”
* October Is Illinois College Application Month! - Over 130 High Schools Will Hold Events to Help Students Get to College
* Illinois Takes Part in Nationwide Community Banking Study, Findings Announced