Jack Roeser

Friday, Jun 13, 2014

* There’s been no official statement released, but I have confirmed that conservative activist Jack Roeser passed away early this morning.

The man sure hated him some teachers’ unions. And he gave the GOP establishment in this state fits for decades. He was who he was, he did what he did, and if you didn’t like it, he didn’t care a bit. I couldn’t help admiring him for that.

The man made his mark on this state more than any single non-politician in memory. You may not have agreed with it, maybe even hated what he did, but I gotta tell you I always found him to be a real gentleman in person.

Jack and I had more than our share of go-arounds, but none of our conversations ever ended with anger. There was never any personal animosity between us. And I know he felt the same about many others.

* Jack was very proud of the wildly successful Otto Engineering business he built from scratch and the good things he was able to get done for Carpentersville and the surrounding areas. He deserved to be proud of those accomplishments. He did plenty of good.

From his Widipedia entry

Roeser enlisted in the Army in 1942 and served during World War II as a Corporal in the 1689th Engineer Battalion Combat Engineers in the Pacific Theater. He served in combat with distinction fighting the Japanese in the Philippines, most notably in the Battle of Leyte. He was one of the first U.S. Soldiers to set foot on Japan after their surrender to the Allies in 1945.

* Look, I know some of you folks completely disagreed with Jack’s politics. But keep it civil in comments. The man has a family and many, many friends. I, for one, will miss him.

1. - Soccermom - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

I am stunned.

2. - When I'm in the Thompson Center I eat at Arby's - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:36 pm:

3. - Louis G. Atsaves - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:38 pm:

A smart intelligent man who knew how to push the appropriate buttons within the Illinois GOP and this State. He was more successful in politics than perhaps he even realized. Rest in peace.

4. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:40 pm:

I don’t know what to say, but my thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends at this time.

5. - Confused - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:40 pm:

Hard to imagine. He was a constant.

6. - Amalia - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:42 pm:

A man of his age…over 90, right?…..who kept it going at a high level for more years than many of us will be able to do. gotta hand it to him for keeping at it in his own way. god speed.

7. - A guy... - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:44 pm:

He didn’t settle. None of us should. Rest in Peace Jack.

8. - OneMan - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

Had a really fancy control for a game for the original XBOX that I understood they made, thing had a ton of switches, buttons and two joysticks that I understand Otto made, the controller was a lot better than the game.

9. - frustrated GOP - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:50 pm:

He lived long enough to see same sex marriage legal in Illinois.

Karma, and that’s as positive as I can be on this topic.

10. - Ravenswood Right Winger - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

RIP Jack and thank you for your service to our country.

11. - Anon - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:04 pm:

He was 90; Born August 31, 1923.

12. - John A Logan - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:07 pm:

Jack was tough. Met him one time. May he rest in peace.

13. - Jimbo - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:11 pm:

Rest in peace. He did make things interesting I suppose.

14. - MrJM (@MisterJayEm) - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:13 pm:

I appreciate his service in WWII.

– MrJM

15. - Jimbo - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:14 pm:

I’ll remember him as a hard liner, although I’m sure he softened that line quite a bit for Rauner.

16. - Yipperdo - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:20 pm:

I am totally of opposite political views of the man. However, WMAY ran his radio program and I have to say that sometimes I found myself agreeing with the principle of his arguement. I believe he would always say he was 91 years old. Two big figures in one day-wow.

17. - Noy Noy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:22 pm:

I remember seeing William Kelly tour the OTTO Engineering factory on Upscale Chicago years ago.

I believe they’ve had a falling out since.

18. - wordslinger - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:24 pm:

Lived a full life and didn’t hide his light under a bushel.

My peeps were WWII generation. Not many of them left. They stomped the earth, man.

19. - Amuzing Myself - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:25 pm:

Agree or disagree with his politics - I did both - he forced soul-searching in the GOP for many years on many issues. As American a role as I can think of. RIP.

20. - Noy Noy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:27 pm:

A judge in California gave him a nice sending off present when teacher tenure was struck down.

21. - john doe - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:27 pm:

Was he related to Tom Roeser, the late radio host at WLS?

22. - Joe Calomino - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

I too disagreed with Jacks politics on many levels. However, I always respected his opinions and his desire to do what he felt was right. I was also very impressed by his life story and the positive influences he imparted upon his community and business ventures. A rich legacy built by a self-made man. RIP to a good man. Prayers to his family.

23. - Noy Noy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

He was not related to Tom Roeser the WLS host, although his son, and current CEO of Otto Engineering is named Tom Roeser.

Here’s a fun video of Jack’s son Tom:

24. - veritas - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

Jack walked the walk and led by example - never expecting effort and sacrifice from others that he wasn’t willing to put forth and endure himself. He paid the rest of us the ultimate compliment that we could do what he could do, but very few could even hope to accomplish what he did in life. There is a place where his remarkable integrity, faith and charity will be rewarded, but it isn’t this existence - it is Heaven. Welcome to the big dance, Jack. You punched your ticket long, long ago!!

25. - Noy Noy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

This link gets right to the point of the Tom Roeser video

26. - dupage dan - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

The father of my old high school buddy’s was a combat engineer in the Pacific. They didn’t sit around much. Roeser was a hero and served our country well. He deserves our gratitude.

As a conservative, I thought his strategies and tactics were misplaced. It is clear he felt strongly about politics and did what he thought was right.

Condolences to his family.

27. - Responsa - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:46 pm:

Jack Roeser’s experiences and the various battles he believed were worth fighting over a long lifetime are a good reminder that the public`caricature that is painted of any individual person is very often not fully accurate. In remembering him, keeping in mind that he was of a different era helps with perspective. I admit I kinda cringed in advance in later years when I heard he’d appear on a show or TV panel discussion. But I never doubted he meant what he said. They were not “talking points” to him. RIP, Mr. Roeser.

28. - Anon - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:54 pm:

Part of Jack’s legacy is a Democrat owning the Sec. of State’s office since 1998. That’s when Roeser backed Jesse White over Al Salvi because Salvi supposedly wasn’t sufficiently conservative for Jack’s liking.

If Rauner wins, his administration would be another part of the Roeser legacy.

29. - Your original "Boy Scientist" - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:56 pm:

We’ll miss you, Jack. You were a true leader. RIP.

30. - Void - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 2:46 pm:

He worked very hard to advance his corporate agenda! Good bye jack, good bye.

31. - Noy Noy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 3:23 pm:

He was a character until the very end

Here is a video of him dancing on stage at a Tea Party rally just 2 MONTHS AGO!

32. - I B Strapped - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 4:21 pm:

That is good stuff!

My fathers generation, WW2 combat engineer also. (Europe)

What a great generation. RIP, Mr Roeser and Thank you for your service to our country, when it really counted….

33. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 4:26 pm:

I never understood how a man who had served his country well, did wonderful things for the community, proudly supported his alma mater, UIUC, and was generally successful at everything was so lousy at politics.

I saw first-hand his ugly obsession and hatred for homosexuals, and the fact that he had a gay child made it even more perplexing and disappointing. And by this, I do not mean opposing civil unions or gay marriage. I state explicitly that the man hated homosexuals and would rail in explicit detail about it.

I really wish I could be more positive. Condolences to his family and friends.

34. - Rhino Slider - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 4:28 pm:

He was very closed minded and obstinate. When combined with much money, he drove the GOP elites CRAZY. He was the refuge of last resort for political pariahs. He hired some real nutjobs who frequently made a huge mess of things. Most of his money was ineffective wasted and he will not leave a political legacy and Champion News will fold.

All that being said, I admire a person who fights hard for their convictions. Illinois politics has strange characters. He was definitely a character.

35. - Walker - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 4:51 pm:

Combat Engineer. He liked blowing up things, and engaging the enemy, always fighting for his desires for America. RIP.

36. - Frank Zappa is a genius - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 5:02 pm:

Having worked at statewide levels of Dem. politics in Illinois I blindly thought before meeting Jack based on the media that he was a caricature of all that I disliked about Republicans. Based on getting to know him in person I found him to be an incredibly generous and kind servant of a man. He personally underwrote the operating budget of a majority African American catholic grammar school in Chicago for over a decade costing him many many millions over the years without putting out press releases about it. I have spent time at his Otto facility with him. 90 percent of his philanthropy he didnt put out press releases on. Much of it to rebuild carpentersville at no profit to him. Being a Dem in those circles I rarely met his philanthropic equal on the Dem side. Dont judge a book by its cover holds true . Political labels like sexual labels and race labels are stupid. What is the character of the individual heart is what matters in our brief lives. God bless Jack Roeser.

37. - liandro - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 5:27 pm:

My best memory of Jack is seeing his Army Engineer wall and those medals and memories he had posted there. As a fellow Army Engineer, I sure felt put in my place by what he had on that wall. He forged his own life, and I respected that very much. Rest in peace, Jack.

38. - Anon - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 7:13 pm:

39. - Kristin Ehlbeck - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 7:13 pm:

Jack was my great uncle. Did not know all his politics since i moved from Illinois in the early 80’s but he was a great man. Always generous and kind. He was funny. Believed that you needed to work for what you got. Period. I remember when we were visiting his sister (my grandma) in AZ and we were driving to the pool to go swimming (he had rented a towncar). All of us “kids” were in the back and we were calling him Jeeves as if he was our chauffer. He enjoyed every minute of it. Rest in Peace Uncle Jack. You will be missed!

40. - Silent Majority - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 7:54 pm:

While many commenters disagree with most of what Jack said, I agree with about 90% of it. It’s too bad that the respect shown to the man in these posts after he is gone wasn’t shown to him while he was alive. Anyway, Rest in Peace, Jack.

41. - MSchneider - Sunday, Jun 15, 14 @ 9:44 pm:

I too am a great niece of Jack’s and I worked for him at his foundation. Truly one of the most generous, intellingent and special men to walk this planet. I named my only son after him. He was true to his beliefs - always, no matter what. You have to admire a man like that. Steadfast and strong. I love you Uncle Jack and I will forever miss you.

42. - MW Brown - Monday, Jun 16, 14 @ 10:12 pm:

I sailed with Jack. I disagreed with about %80 of his politics. He was also one of the most decent, fun-loving and generous men I’ll probably ever meet. Its sad that he’s passed, but we can use the life he lived as a guide and inspiration. I wish you nothing but following seas, good air, and a cold beverage of your choice. RIP.

* More awful pension news
* New Exelon bailout bill emerges
* Kirk apologizes to Duckworth
* Some budget hostages finally released
* Starving the beast
* Will the anti-Madigan stuff work?
* Rate the new anti Rauner/Trump TV ad
* The reviews are in... and they're lousy
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* Enhanced AI could have a big part to play in the Galaxy S8
* Oracle will appeal the “fair use” decision against Google (duh)
* [TA Deals] Name your price on the White Hat Hacker 2017 Bundle
* Needed’s smarter shopping app will find you the best nearby deals
* FCC establishes ISP privacy rules for mining customer data
* Microsoft Surface, New MacBook Pro, and Google’s Pixel Packs Power | #PNWeekly 224
* Gfycat brings its higher quality GIFs and DIY creation tools to iMessage

* White Sox in AFL: Collins shores up defense
* Unlike some, White Sox still remember 2005
* Eaton named Gold Glove Award finalist
* One possible White Sox future playing out in Toronto
* pnoles' offseason plan
* Three times the 2005 White Sox never happened on Monday
* White Sox developing promising OF prospects

* Report: Powerful Democratic Donors Link Rauner .....
* Do Eychaner, Sacks and Pritzker equal Rauner an.....
* Rauner: More funds needed for breast screenings.....
* Election 2016: Campaign cash flows into central.....
* Rate the new anti Rauner/Trump TV ad - The Capi.....
* Meet the man most likely to raise your taxes in.....
* Meet the man most likely to raise your taxes in.....

* Oil pipeline protesters burn vehicles, set roadblock
* 485K of Illinois' 8M registered voters cast ballots early
* Latest: Police poised to remove roadblocks set by protesters
* The Latest: Tribal chairman vows to continue pipeline fight
* EXCHANGE: She got polio as a baby, now on way to stardom
* CTA to run vintage car in advance of Cubs' Series games
* AP News Guide: Pipeline activists swept off private property
* Latest: More than 100 arrests as pipeline protesters moved
* Researchers see bat populations decline in Illinois
* Researchers see bat populations decline in Illinois

* Bobcat hunting opponents seek permits, won't use them
* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work
* Central Illinois soldier killed in Afghanistan
* Rauner administration awarding more than $3 million in bonuses to non-union workers
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through stopgap budget

* AbbVie's eternal Humira sunshine needs to darken
* Burger King trolls McDonald's with a flame-broiled Halloween burn
* FBI: New Clinton emails prompt further investigation
* Stocks tumble as FBI reopens Clinton probe
* Stocks tumble as FBI digs into more Clinton emails

* Dead body found in Gary woods, police suspect foul play
* Person injured in second shooting on Eisenhower in 10 hours
* Gene Lyons: Time to move on from the Trump reality show
* Santiago apologizes for tantrum about rescinded Cubs ticket offer
* 3 teenage girls charged with Loop robberies
* Vikings’ QB Sam Bradford: Kyle Schwarber comeback ‘unbelievable’
* Phil Kadner: Suburban mayors lining up for big paydays
* FBI to investigate new emails on Hillary Clinton’s private server
* Opinion: Federal prosecutors in Chicago going hard on gun crimes
* Mark Kirk apologizes to Duckworth over remark about her heritage

* More videos released of Cook County Jail fights that hurt at least 20 inmates, 3 officers
* Defense calls no witnesses for Greco, accused in '79 slaying of husband
* Suburban politicians seeking promotion vie to succeed Duckworth in Congress
* With or without Cubs clinching Series, Ricketts family has $2B ballclub
* Chicago company shows remote work is the future
* Judge Posner says quality of Supreme Court is 'awful'
* Lindblom students detail their needs for a Schoolchild's Bill of Rights
* Police investigate shooting on Eisenhower Expressway near Harlem in Oak Park
* FBI to conduct new investigation of emails from Clinton's private server

The widget AQL4JYGHIY powered by Feed Informer does not exist.

* Our View: U.S. Rep. Rodney Davis deserves third term
* John Bouman: We all suffer from Illinois' budget crisis
* Eugene Robinson: Hillary Clinton is blazing a momentous trail
* George Will: Republican Party needs to revert to nominating Republicans
* Bernard Schoenburg: 9 on Sangamon County Board opt out of pension system
* Bobcat hunting opponents seek permits, won't use them
* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Our Opinion: LaHood endorsed in 18th Congressional District
* Leroy Jordan: Race Riot site must be preserved, taught to students
* E.J. Dionne: Trump is not a GOP aberration

* PCAPS pit bull adoption promotion ends Monday
* Circuit clerk, commissioner among seats contested in Williamson County
* Bettendorf launches bike rack deal for businesses
* Researchers see bat populations decline in Illinois
* Connections spur adventures for Black Hawk Hiking Club
* Q-C veterans greeted with "overwhelming" welcome home from Honor Flight
* Photos: 10 other times the Chicago Cubs went to the World Series
* Updated: police investigating Urbana house fire
* 10-28-16 Penny for Your Thoughts
* Kirk apologizes for mocking rival's family military history

* FBI: New Clinton emails prompt further investigation
* Author Kent Nerburn to speak in Geneva
* Chicago icons Bill Murray, Billy Williams get World Series spotlight
* Island Lake officials may use crowdfunding to pay for community events
* US economy grew at 2.9 percent rate in third quarter

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Durbin visits 'extraordinary' Lake County ......

* A look at Illinois GOP US Sen. Mark Kirk's......
* A look at Illinois GOP US Sen. Mark Kirk's......
* A look at Illinois GOP US Sen. Mark Kirk's......
* A look at Illinois GOP US Sen. Mark Kirk's......
* A look at Illinois GOP US Sen. Mark Kirk's......

* Idle speculation: Where could Uniqlo fit downtown?
* Top judges resign at troubled Social Security Chicago headquarters
* FBI Director re-opens Clinton email investigation
* Hillary & Comey together in new parody video
* Cook County raises starting minimum wage to $13, urges statewide passage
* Friday photo: The old new towns
* Kirk Under Fire For 'Racist' Remarks About Duckworth's Family Military Service
* Unemployment Rates Up In Half Of Illinois Metro Areas
* Cook County Board Passes Minimum Wage Increase To $13
* City Club Of Chicago Budget Panel

* Don’t be a Ghoul, Don’t Drink and Drive - Police throughout Illinois step up patrols for Halloween weekend
* Honoring Illinois' Fallen - United States and State flags at half-staff from Sunrise, Saturday, October 29, 2016 until Sunset, Monday, October 31, 2016.
* 25th Annual HIV/STD Conference - Celebrating Success, Shaping the Future - Sexually Transmitted Diseases increase while HIV decreases
* Workers’ Comp Commission Updates Technology at No Cost to Taxpayer - Another step in Rauner Administration’s modernization of state government
* Governor’s Children’s Cabinet Makes Lead Poisoning Prevention A Priority - October 23-30, 2016 - National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week