- Can't Get Enough - Thursday, Dec 20, 07 @ 12:02 pm:
I will be checking the blog endlessly, waiting for the update that the legislators will be called back into special session before year end.
Either that or I will spend time celebrating with my family and friends in town. And then cap it off watching an Illini win in the Rose Bowl.
Can’t Get Enough - And then cap it off watching an Illini win in the Rose Bowl.
Ah, yes. I’d almost forgotten about that. Cheers to the Illini Nation!
- Captain America - Thursday, Dec 20, 07 @ 12:09 pm:
Ill be vacationing in Cedar Rapids, Iowa - December 27 - January 3rd engaging in Iowa’s quadrennial blood sport on behalf Of Illinois’ favorite son. Spending New year’s Eve at the luxurious Motel 6 Resort, instead of “first nighting” in Evanston.
I have new flannel boxers to wear. So, I intend to slip them on, sit back with a chilled tumbler of Genmorangie by the fireplace and Christmas tree, savor each sip and watch the cage matches being held between my toddlers and infants in the Pack-n-Play. Give them lost of hugs, kisses, presents, wear them out and put them to bed.
Then I’m going to try to get VanillaWife under the mistletoe and bring more Joy To The World.
I’ll be playing the new Huckleberry board game, “Ignore the Godless Ferners What Won’t Let Jesus in their Hearts.” It’s real fun. There’s 50 squares, each representing a state. Red states have a red square with a nativity scene inside. Blue states are begrudingly granted a small crucifix. The first one to land 26 states wins the right to ink stamp a crucifix over the menora situated on the left margin of the board. I hear it’s going over big with the Keyes crowd here.
- The guy on the couch - Thursday, Dec 20, 07 @ 12:24 pm:
Each state has its David Yepsen — the political reporter par excellence who tend to drive the coverage of a campaign or a candidate. In New Hampshire, it’s the Union Leader’s John DiStaso, whom The Fix profiled two years ago. In South Dakota, the Argus-Leader’s Dave Kranz is at the top of the heap. Lee Bandy ruled the roost in South Carolina for many years but is now semi-retired after four decades of covering Palmetto State politics. Same goes for Al Cross, the legendary political reporter for Louisville Courier-Journal who now teaches at the University of Kentucky (though he still writes a column for the paper).
Who are we missing? Live in a state where one political reporter (or political pundit) dominates the landscape? Sound off in the comment section below and we’ll add the list to this post.
Here are other suggestions sent in via email and the comments section These are not the Fix’s Picks but rather suggestions by readers. If you’re state isn’t represented, sound off in the comment section below!
* Arkansas: John Brummett
* California: Los Angeles Times columnist George Skelton
* Florida: St. Petersburg Times columnist/politics editor Adam Smith
* Georgia: Bill Shipp, Southern Political Report Editor Tom Baxter, InsiderAdvanatge Georgia editor Dick Pettys.
* Illinois: Capitol Fax Blog author Rich Miller
* Missouri: St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Jo Mannies
* New Hampshire: Nashua Telegraph reporter Kevin Landrigan
* New York: New York Post columnist Fred Dicker, Albany Times Union reporter Jim Odato, radio talk show host Alan Chartock
* Ohio: Cleveland Plain Dealer columnist Tom Suddes
* Rhode Island: Providence Journal columnist Charlie Bakst (he has the awesome byline: “M. Charles Bakst”)
* Virginia: University of Virginia professor Larry Sabato
I’ll be spending time with all the family (a rare occasion), good food, good talk, and lay the worries to rest for a while. Butter up the mother-in-law, spoil the grandbaby, gaze at the fire and most of all, count my blessings. Of which I have so very many. P.S. I am a Liberal, and I believe in God. Why do so many people have difficulty comprehending that?
I’m gonna fix a hole to buy a ticket to ride (the CTA) while searching for the meaning of it all across the universe with me and my monkey.
- DumberThanYouThink - Friday, Dec 21, 07 @ 7:50 am:
Reading through the Blog Archives to assemble the Administration’s top accomplishments…Well that didn’t take long!
How about trying to get the media to pinpoint Blaggo’s whereabouts everyday between now the 1-2. Remember last year was poolside in Mexico with DiceK