The chicago media coverage has been a lot better I think of this republican convention than in 08. Paris Schutz and Kerry Lester I thought have done some good work that I’ve enjoyed reading/watching.
- Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Aug 29, 12 @ 9:59 am:
I watched Gov. Kasich’s speech last night, and of course, he took full credit for Ohio’s economic recovery. Part of the credit should go to Obama, the auto bailout and the revitalized U.S. auto industry.
When Virginia Gov. McDonnell spoke, I stopped watching. I couldn’t get the image of “the probe” out of my mind. The probe of course would have been the ultrasound device for women considering abortions. So much for smaller government.
Ever the contrarian, I did not like Ann Romney’s speech. Here’s the analogy I used with my wife: It sounded to me like there were two different speech writers involved. The first half, written by Ann, and the second half written by the pros. They did not work together. It’s like you had a deck of cards, split it to shuffle, then did not riff the cards. If they would have taken the elements of the first part, and integrated into the appropriate places of the second part, great speech. As it was, meh.
Best speech of the night was Artur Davis, but you must read it to understand. Horrible delivery of a great speech.
Christie is being panned by the pundits, however, bear in mind that Romney approved his speech. While Romney was not mentioned by name until about 2/3 of the way through, Christie was laying out for America the conservative, Republican plan for governance. He did an outstanding job doing so. I predicted that Ryan would be the VP pick months ago, and even said so here on CapFax because I believe that Republicans have a chance to have an issues election, and Romney’s choice of Ryan shows Romney’s commitment to this approach (nobody can argue the details better than Ryan). Romney has rejected the Democrat issue-free campaign of personal attack.
- the Other Anonymous - Wednesday, Aug 29, 12 @ 11:43 am:
Two things. First, Ann Romney totally lost me when she tried to imply that Mitt Romney came from blue collar roots. She said that George Romney — CEO of the 4th largest US automaker, governor, and presidential candidate — “decided to become a carpenter.” (Maybe, but if we was a carpenter that didn’t last long. His career started at the automakers’ trade association.)
Second, let’s repeat Dan Proft’s tweet before it jumps off the top of Scribblr feed:
Fmr Dem Rep & ‘08 Obama campaign co-chairman Artur Davis: the greatest defection to the side of freedom since Whittaker Chambers. #wlsam890
This shows just how unhinged the Republican Party can be, comparing a Democratic congressman to a Communist spy.
- the Other Anonymous - Wednesday, Aug 29, 12 @ 11:52 am:
BTW, here is the fact check on the implication that Mitt Romney has blue collar roots.
Pawlenty had some lame Obama jokes that weren’t as good as his neologism during the primary: Obamneycare.
Rice, Martinez and Ryan all talk about the American Dream. None note that the US has the least social mobility among the countries we compare ourselves to, such as Canada, Britain, Japan, Germany, Australia. Socio-economic status has become more hereditary in this country, about as hereditary as height.
Giving more tax cuts to the 1% won’t restore the American Dream for the other 99%.