Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2012

* A quick JJJr roundup…

* Feds believe Jesse Jackson Jr. got tip about probe into his finances: Federal authorities believe Jesse Jackson Jr. was tipped off to the federal investigation that ultimately contributed to the demise of his once-promising career. Sources with knowledge of the probe told the Chicago Sun-Times that investigators believe Jackson had learned of the federal scrutiny of his financial activity prior to his June 10 leave from Congress. The sources said it didn’t necessarily mean the tip was from an investigative source, saying it was possible the congressman received a tip from someone who was notified about the probe, possibly through a subpoena.

* A Talk with Ald. Will Burns: Looks Like He’s Running for JJJ’s Seat

* Blacks fret free-for-all for Jesse Jackson Jr. seat

* Jesse Jackson Jr. resignation letter read aloud in U.S. House

* The setup

Seventeen years ago, Jesse Jackson Jr. ran for Congress to replace a beleaguered rep who had been convicted in a federal scheme.

Jackson replaced Mel Reynolds, who ultimately resigned in disgrace.

On Wednesday, Jackson resigned in disgrace, the subject of a federal investigation.

Guess who now wants his job back? Mel Reynolds.

“So He Can Finish the Work,” is the news release that Reynolds sent out today, announcing he would officially announce his intentions to run for Jackson’s seat at noon.

* The Question: Mel Reynolds campaign slogan?

I know this will be difficult, but you must absolutely keep it clean in comments. I’m serious.

1. - siriusly - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:03 pm:

Mel Reynolds will serve the people, you can take that to the bank. The East Bank Club that is.

2. - Very Old Soil - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:04 pm:

I won’t get caught this time.

3. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:04 pm:

A Federal Insider, in More Ways than One

Time for Double Jeopardy

4. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:05 pm:

“No Change”

5. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:06 pm:

“Build on our District’s legacy.”

BTW: Will recently shaved his beard. He’s runnin’.

6. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:07 pm:

Mel Reynolds - So we Know Where He is At.

Mel Reynolds - Meh, ok …

Mel Reynolds - You Tried Me, you Tried JJJ, Now Back to Me!

Mel Reynolds - Bugless, Wireless, Was Homeless, No Congress!

Mel Reynolds - A 2nd District Oldie but a Goodie

Mel Reynolds - Nothing Can Stop Me Now … No Seriously, Nothing Can, I Checked.

Mel Reynolds - From Halfway House to the People’s House, One More Time.

Mel Reynolds - Noy Your Typical Retread, and It’s Not a Typo

Mel Reynolds - This Time, I Will Make Good, I Think.

Mel Reynolds - From the Congress Street SRO, to Congress, in DC.

Mel Reynolds - Congression Experience With Scared-Straight Charm.

7. - Angry Chicagoan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:17 pm:

Because what you see is what you get. If you settle for me, you won’t be disappointed!

8. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:17 pm:

Mel Reynolds - One More Candidate to Help Deebie Win.

Mel Reynolds - Representing the Best of Former 2dn District Congressman.

Mel Reynolds - Couldn’t Hurt …

Mel Reynolds - One of 435, So the Damage is Minimal.

Mel Reynolds - Caucus Chair in Prison, Congressman for You.

Mel Reynolds - From Holding Cell to Cloak Room, for You.

Mel Reynolds - I was Pardoned, so Pardon Me if I take My Seat Back …

Mel Reynolds - Because I have to Start Over to Get my Pension Back.

Mel Reynolds - Because Rahm & the Law Says I Can’t Run for Alderman.

Mel Reynolds - Forget the Bad, Remember the Good!

Mel Reynolds - We Spell Redemption M.E.L.

Mel Reynolds - From Serving Lunches in Prision to Serving You in Washington!

9. - Say again - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:18 pm:

This would be way more fun if we didn’t have to keep it clean.

10. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:19 pm:

I will being Felony Franks to you neigborhood!

11. - Robert the Bruce - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:19 pm:

“Better the con you know…let’s stop at 2 Congressmen going to prison from our district”

12. - siriusly - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:22 pm:

Mel Reynolds - he’s STILL not Gus Savage.

Mel Reynolds - he’s constitutionally eligible.

Mel Reynolds for Congress, I won’t let you down again, again, again, again.

13. - OneMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:23 pm:

“Uniforms”

14. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:25 pm:

My crimes were less serious than my successor!

15. - OneMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:25 pm:

“You know he went to Harvard and spent some time at Oxford”

16. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:26 pm:

“It takes an ex-con Congressman to replace the next convicted Congressman!”

“Vote for Mel!”

17. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:28 pm:

Mel Reynolds - New Boundaries, Less That Know me!

Mel Reynolds - A Chicago Tale.

Mel Reynolds - Never Thought I Could Get a 2nd Chance, in the 2nd District.

Mel Reynolds - Misunderstood, but Transcripts Fixed That.

Mel Reynolds - Giving “Let Me Say for the Record” a Whole New Meaning.

Mel Reynolds - @nd district Elected, President Clinton’s Pardon Approved!

Mel Reynolds - Can’t Question Bill Clinton, Can Ya?

Mel Reynolds - Guess What? Travel Restrictions Lifted!

18. - Cincinnatus - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:30 pm:

Mel can ring your school bell.

19. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:30 pm:

Hey - OneMan - !

Mel Reynolds - From Harvard to Oxford to Congress, the Long Way!

Well Done, - OneMan -!

20. - frustrated GOP - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:34 pm:

Don’t know about the campaign but the book should be “Pardon me, Mr. President” oh wait someone did that,

Slogan; A man with convictions.

21. - OneMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:36 pm:

“You Know What You Are Getting”
    “The only candidate with experience following a candidate with issues”
    “Are you wearing a wire”
    “Come one, he wouldn’t do something dumb a third time”
    “Already has a prisoner number”

22. - OneMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:37 pm:

A Special Candidate For A Special Election

23. - PublicServant - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:38 pm:

Vote for Mel and he WON’T kiss your baby…until she’s in high school.

24. - Jake From Elwood - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:38 pm:

Mel: Don’t Confuse me with Alderman Mell as I want no link to that jailbird Blago.

25. - Sir Reel - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:41 pm:

Mel Reynolds: the only candidate with the experience to resign in disgrace when the time comes.

26. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:47 pm:

Mel Reynolds - Beacuse Locally I Can’t Come Back.

Mel Reynolds - D.C. Needs More Like Me, I Guess.

Mel Reynolds - I Left My Work in D.C. Incomplete.

Mel Reynolds - Where Shawshank and Mr. Smith Meet in D.C.

Mel Reynolds - To Re-Write the Law Books I Read in Prison.

Mel Reynolds - I Know! Can You Believe This?

Mel Reynolds - Endorsed by The Pardoned Everywhere!

Mel Reynolds - Yep, My Plan “C” in a Nutshell.

Mel Reynolds - Just How I Planned it Years Ago.

Mel Reynolds - Pardoned by Bill, Maybe Pardoned by Hillary?

Mel Reynolds - Chicago’s Very Own, and Oxford’s Too.

Mel Reynolds - Most Likely to Go to Congress, Go to Prision, Get Pardoned …

27. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:50 pm:

A special election? Did I win the Lotto?

28. - Big Red - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:52 pm:

If any con can I can.

29. - JustaJoe - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:53 pm:

Taking the pride in Illinois to a new level!

30. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 12:56 pm:

===A special election? Did I win the Lotto? ===

Gonna be difficult to top that one.

31. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:00 pm:

In 2013 it will be 18 years since I was in Congress. 18 years — so it will be legal.

32. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:00 pm:

=== ===A special election? Did I win the Lotto? ===

Gonna be difficult to top that one.===

WOW!!!!!

(Oswego Willy Walks away)

Well Done!

33. - Responsa - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:05 pm:

So vote for me–Melvin Reynolds for congress. Note: Melvin. M-E-L-V-I-N. Do not confuse me with that convicted ctiminal Mel Reynolds who used to be in the U.S. House of Repreasentatives.

34. - Third Reading - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:07 pm:

Mel for Congress: It’s a Reynolds Wrap. (I mean, rap. No, I mean wrap!)

Mel Reynolds: putting the con back in Congress!

Mel Reynolds: from Rhodes Scholar to roads scholar. And back!

I’m outta here.

35. - Archimedes - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:10 pm:

Vote for Mel and have deja vu all over again.

36. - Dave Dahl - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:21 pm:

47th Ward beat me there.

37. - Levois - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:21 pm:

“Mel Reynolds - Never Thought I Could Get a 2nd Chance, in the 2nd District.”

I think he’s working on his 3rd chance in fact lol

38. - 3rd Generation Chicago Native - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:24 pm:

Better than Elmo.

39. - The End Is Near - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:28 pm:

“Let Mel atone; fly Peotone”

40. - Darienite - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:31 pm:

Mel Reynolds - I now ask for identification.

41. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:36 pm:

===A special election? Did I win the Lotto? ===

Willie’s memory is strong. I think I tried to scrub my memory of Mel like Henry did his trunk of Billy Batts.

42. - siriusly - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 1:43 pm:

47 game over that’s too good

43. - shore - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:10 pm:

The biggest winner in all of this is Derrick Smith.

44. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:18 pm:

Mel Reynolds… Because if you sleep with an underage intern no one remembers you were convicted of bank fraud

45. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:22 pm:

I can’t compete …

47th Stopped the show, and should be congratulated.

Very Well Played!

46. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:23 pm:

–Federal authorities believe Jesse Jackson Jr. was tipped off to the federal investigation that ultimately contributed to the demise of his once-promising career.–

Reading the whole story, it appears to me that the sources must be from within the Justice Department, FBI or some other federal agency.

I don’t see how you could write a story claiming to know what “federal authorities believe” unless it comes from those federal authorities.

Anyone have a problem with the federales leaking stuff to the press regarding a target under investigation? One who has not been indicted of anything, by the way?

47. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:24 pm:

Thanks Willy, that’s very high praise coming from you.

48. - Brendan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:24 pm:

Mel Reynolds - Teeth Like Yours!

49. - Commonsense in Illinois - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:31 pm:

I’ll be good…promise!

50. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:32 pm:

- 47th Ward -,

Very easy to praise something so pithy and so genius.

I learn more and more from everyone here.

Well done!

51. - OneMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:33 pm:

At this point…What do you have to lose…

52. - OneMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:35 pm:

Investigation Free Since before 2003

Experience with law enforcement

53. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:37 pm:

Reynolds: Let Us Continue Our Legacy Of Sending Congressmen With Convictions To DC!

54. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:47 pm:

47, I missed that the Lotto line was yours.

Yeah, that’s your winner.

That’s about as short, nasty and as on-point as you can get within the rules of the house.

Now, I think I’ll hit the delousing station.

55. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:49 pm:

Reynolds: I Know Paducah

56. - train111 - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:51 pm:

Mel Reynolds, Elmo, and R. Kelly now appearing together at every 8th Grade graduation on the southeast side.

train111

57. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:52 pm:

I’d Vote For Me If I Could

58. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 2:59 pm:

===Now, I think I’ll hit the delousing station.===

Mel Reynolds will do that to you.

59. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 3:08 pm:

Registered. Just not as a voter.

60. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 3:11 pm:

See my newest address at: HTTP://www.isp.state.il.us/sor

61. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 3:33 pm:

Once the Feds start “investigating”, ie. asking certain individuals pointed questions, the word gets around. I wouldn’t assume this was a deliberate leak.

62. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 3:40 pm:

Mel Camino - drivin’ to DC one vote at a time.

63. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 3:42 pm:

Walkinfool, I don’t believe a good reporter would write a lede saying “Federal authorities believe” unless the sources were federal authorities, and not some third party.

I hope a reporter wouldn’t do that. But I also believe that if the sources were federal authorities, their actions are unethical, to say the least.

Just a reminder: Jackson has not been charged, much less convicted, of anything.

“Federal authorities” have awesome resources to bring their cases in front of judges and juries. They don’t need to be working the p.r. whisper campaigns. That’s an incredible abuse of very scary power.

64. - jerry 101 - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 3:54 pm:

One Man With the Experience.
    One Man With the Record.
    One Man With the Convictions.

Mel 2013.

65. - Anonymice - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 3:56 pm:

I won’t sell my old seat after I win!

66. - Cook County Commoner - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 4:11 pm:

Vote for me, and I’ll keep our district on the front page.

67. - RNUG - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 4:30 pm:

You can trust me … this time!

68. - soccermom - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 4:42 pm:

“Checking IDs since 1994″

69. - soccermom - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 4:46 pm:

Although this has clearly become a battle for second place. 47th, as ever, you are my hero, role model and inspiration.

70. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 4:59 pm:

Thanks Soccermom, and right back at you.

71. - Soxfan - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 5:16 pm:

Gus Savage, JJJ, Mel Reynolds — only one has the conviction to lead this district (as of today).

72. - Excessively Rabid - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 5:39 pm:

Well, it’s long over, but:

“Yes we con!”

73. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 5:42 pm:

I’m not even getting in the game.
    Very nicely played, 47th.

74. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 6:07 pm:

Mel Reynolds — “I believe the children are our future.”

75. - DuPage Dave - Wednesday, Nov 28, 12 @ 7:53 pm:

Vote for me- I’m a peach of a guy.

76. - Das Man - Thursday, Nov 29, 12 @ 4:54 am:

A vote for Mel is not a vote for Mel-ancholy

77. - smurray - Thursday, Nov 29, 12 @ 6:51 am:

Mel Reynolds - Keep the Change

* Rauner releases tax returns, made $91 million last year
* Barickman gets "The Rauner Question"
* Insurance Department devises way around Trump's ACA executive order
* ILGOP mocks Madigan's online debut
* Rauner raised the most small-dollar contributions, Pawar raised the highest percentage then dropped out
* Former budget hostages still struggling to survive
* Pritzker makes Forbes list again while Illinoisans' discretionary income ranks lowest in Midwest
* CTU's Karen Lewis reveals she had a stroke last week
* Governor's race fundraising tops $100 million
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Republican AG candidate claims she was warned to make sure her brakes were working
* Rauner touts higher education advantages despite damage caused by impasse

* Illinois borrows $1.5B at reduced interest to p.....
* Illinois borrows $1.5B at reduced interest to p.....
* Illinois Governor race spending at all-time hig.....
* Democrats spar over role of Madigan and money i.....
* Our View: Don’t need to spend a bundle for bice.....
* Dem gov debate: Kennedy, Biss bash Madigan; Pri.....
* Dem gov. debate: Kennedy, Biss bash Madigan; Pr.....
* Gov. Bruce Rauner Earned $91 Million in 2016, T.....
* Rauner to start borrowing $6 billion today - Da.....
* Battle of billionaires: Pritzker and pal of Rau.....

* Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in Illinois
* Police officer refused to testify in lawsuit over shooting
* Stretch of Byron roadway named after fallen Marine.
* Teachers union suffers stroke, says she is OK

* Northern Trust names new CEO
* More Illinois companies kept profits offshore last year
* How Amazon will spoil it for Grainger
* Airbus sends a thank-you card to Donald Trump
* How Team Rauner hustled to protect Obamacare from Trump

* Cook County prosecutors release 6 years of charging data
* Democrats spar over role of Madigan and money in gov race
* 19-year-old man shot in the chest during argument in Grand Boulevard
* Bears, Bulls, Hawks and Sox slam Emanuel’s tax hike for large concerts
* Slumping Javy Baez sits vs. Dodgers’ Darvish but Maddon sees rebound
* IL fall trout opens Saturday: Chicago fishing, Midwest Fishing Report
* SWEET: Trump exploits the death of his chief-of-staff’s Marine son
* Cowboys RB Elliott gets another reprieve, will play vs. 49ers
* Cubs-Dodgers picture page: On the field before Game 3
* Man wanted by police in violent robbery of 70-year-old on Red Line

* Twelve days of silence, then a swipe at Obama: How Trump handled four dead soldiers
* Dodgers take 4-1 lead against Cubs as Chris Taylor homers, triples
* Bipartisan deal on Obamacare subsidies stalls amid GOP opposition
* 3 wounded in city shootings Tuesday
* Jake Arrieta plans to savor his Wrigley Field start while hoping for more
* Dem gov debate: Kennedy, Biss bash Madigan; Pritzker won't say if it's time for speaker to go
* Former American hostage freed from Afghanistan rushed to hospital
* Aurora man charged with producing, transporting child porn using Musical.ly app
* Wade Davis once killed a bear - but is left off list of players likely to conquer animal
* Bulls' Nikola Mirotic out with two broken bones in face after being punched by teammate Bobby Portis

» Illinois Bond Sale To Help Pay $16bn Debts
» Mayor To Propose Higher Prices For Ridesharing, Big Concerts
» WBEZ Investigation: CPS Secretly Overhauled Special Education At Students’ Expense
» How's The Illinois Economy? For Rauner Administration, Depends On The Audience
» Online Locator Tool Aims to Make Recycling Easier
» State Week: Prison Assaults, Pawar's Exit
» Lawmakers Urged To Override Life Insurance Veto
» Ameya Pawar Ends Campaign for Governor
» Union Says Prison Inmate Assaults On Guards Up 51%
» Union Says Attacks On Prison Guards Are Up

* Joe McMenamin: Aldermen and big money
* E.J. Dionne: Reformers: Be ready when your time comes
* Byron York: What's behind Trump's new executive actions
* Catherine Rampell: Trump's tax proposal won't actually help the middle class. Here's what would.
* Michael Gerson: The religious right has become a tribe of sycophants
* Our View: Don’t need to spend a bundle for bicentennial to have meaning
* Illinois borrows $1.5B at reduced interest to pay down debt
* Rauner cuts human services, other area in state budget
* Pritzker makes list of richest Americans; Rauner releases tax returns
* Pritzker makes list of richest Americans; Gov. Rauner doesn't

* Trial underway regarding drug deal near Alton’s Statehouse Square
* Illinois borrows $1.5B at reduced interest to pay down debt
* Love and sourdough
* Virginia’s Square One cooks up fundraiser
* Photos: Veterans Honor Flight returns to Marion
* A pinnacle of running
* RI Co. Board tables sales tax referendum, Forest Preserve Commission moves forward on bond issue
* Local, national stores make plans for Black Friday, “Grey Thursday”
* Council OKs storage units, Planet Fitness
* PHOTOS: Fall in Central Illinois

* Arrieta in a familiar place as Cubs' Game 4 starter in NLCS
* Cook County felony prosecutions broken down by race, location in new report
* Girls volleyball: South Elgin, Batavia earn UEC crossover wins
* Boys soccer: Elgin, Hampshire to meet for regional title
* Boys soccer: St. Charles North overpowers Willowbrook

* Democratic candidates square off in Kendal...
* Hultgren 'disappointed' about potential re...
* Rival: Kinzinger not conservative - MyWebT...
* Smith, Hultgren praise House passage of bi...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...
* Measure extends term of FSOC independent m...
* Rep. Randy Hultgren announces 2017 Congres...
* Democratic 14th Congressional District can...
* GOP congressmen say Rauner 'let down' Illi...
* Dissident artist Ai Weiwei and US Rep. Ran...

* Boomer Esiason destroys Colin Kaepernick t......
* Sen. Durbin Says Dems Could Lose To Trump ......

* Congress is on the offensive against Ameri......
* Congress wants to make Americans with disa......
* A vote for Bill Wehrum is a vote against t......

* Red Line Assailant Sought By Police
* Noah Baumbach’s The Meyerowitz Stories makes music out of humor and pain
* Palatine para-professionals aren’t worth an 11 cent raise but they are too essential to allow them to strike.
* Illinois teacher retirees: What the hell is Walgreen’s up to?
* Get Down, Boogie-Oogie-Oogie, At Fat Cat's 70s Night
* Out & About Uptown's Coast: Learn About The Leland Greenway And Alternative Transit
* Majestic Men's Store 2.0
* Ald. Pawar Discusses What's Next on Chicago Tonight
* #MeToo
* Chicago named the rat capital of the country for the third consecutive year, and other news

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* No, the Pixel Buds aren’t just wireless earbuds with some plastic cable connecting them
* Microsoft Surface Book 2 launch, ZTE Axon M & more – Pocketnow Daily
* Apple Watch app HeartRate logged abnormal rates, may have saved a life
* Xiaomi aims to follow Huawei’s footsteps and go for 90 million shipments in 2017
* Facebook Live Now Offers Built-In Screen Sharing Feature
* ANZ Eftpos Access Cards Now Support Apple Pay in Australia
* WhatsApp Gains Support for Live Location Sharing

* Adolfo 'grew up,' hit his stride in 2017
* The top 11 White Sox winners of 2017
* Mid-October White Sox fall ball update
* Inbox: Has White Sox Draft strategy evolved?
* Podcast: 2017 White Sox Outfielders Review