Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x1 *** Today’s quotes
*** UPDATED x1 *** Today’s quotes

Thursday, Oct 31, 2013

* Joe Walsh interviewed Sen. Kirk Dillard this week for his ongoing series about Republican gubernatorial candidates. Listen to the whole thing if you have time

* Silliest question…

“Do you like freedom, and why?”

* Silliest claim by the candidate…

“i ran an administration that left a billion and a half surplus.”

It left that surplus six years after Dillard left the chief of staff job.

* Something I don’t think I knew: Dillard’s law school classmate was Tom Paprocki, who is now Springfield’s Catholic bishop.

* Best hit on an opponent: The far right is freaking out over the Obama administration’s “Common Core” learning program. One of Walsh’s callers referred to it as “Communist Core.” Dillard then connected Bruce Rauner to Common Core through Rauner’s financial support of Stand for Children.

*** UPDATE *** The Rauner campaign passed along some OR…

From Tribune Questionnaire: http://primaries2012.elections.chicagotribune.com/editorial/kirk-w-dillard/

“I support many of the proposals of Stand for Children. When I ran for governor in the 2010 primary, I offered a lengthy plan called “”Best in Class - Helping Children Succeed for the Jobs of Tomorrow”" which included improving student performance and closing the achievement gap, developing a 21st century workforce, and raising the bar on higher education. I believe in merit pay, and we must not renege on our commitment on rewarding teacher excellence. We need to encourage corporations and foundation to establish funds to reward our best teachers.”

He also took $10,000 from stand with children and was endorsed by them: http://www.wbez.org/story/stand-children-endorsed-candidates-sweep-elections-97524

[ *** End Of Update *** ]

* A quote that could come back to haunt him: “I thank Dave Smith of the Illinois Family Institute and those who came down to Springfield” for the anti gay marriage rally. Those were his first public remarks about the rally, which featured some pretty darned hateful comments by some speakers.

* Most pandering Dillard comment: A caller lambasted Dillard for not being a true conservative like Walsh. Dillard responded…

“[Joe Walsh is] someone I look up to and model myself after.”

I kid you not.

1. - Aldyth - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 9:53 am:

Political future crashes in 3…2…1

2. - OneMan - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 9:55 am:

“[Joe Walsh is] someone I look up to and model myself after.”

Well, congratulations Sen. Dillard you have moved down yet another notch on my ‘who I am going to vote for list’.

3. - Jim'e' - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 9:56 am:

Wow, if Dillard models himself after “screamin” Joe, then he has lost my vote.

4. - train111 - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 9:58 am:

Is Dillard a candidate for Governor of Illinois or Senator from Georgia???
    I would have never thought Illinois would see a GOP primary where big name candidates would stumble over each other to say the goofiest thing so that they could personally drive the clown car off a cliff, but looks like we’ve got it.

5. - dupage dan - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 9:58 am:

Dillard was my candidate in the primary last election. He ran a poor campaign. That is why he lost - not because he wasn’t far enough to the right. While Dillard could, perhaps, win a primary by going far to the right, in what delusional state of mind is this candidate suffering from that he thinks he could win a general election for governor with this stance?

He certainly won’t get my vote - primary or general.

6. - Demoralized - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:00 am:

==“Do you like freedom, and why?”==

It’s not a silly question considering who asked it and the audience that probably listens to Joe Walsh. The Walsh types generally believe that anybody that doesn’t believe the same things they do are anti-freedom.

To normal people, yeah, it’s a silly question.

7. - Whatever - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:00 am:

Dillard’s pandering and insincerity is truly disappointing.

8. - Ray del Camino - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:04 am:

How can he look at himself in the mirror after saying crazy stuff like that? Embarrassing.

9. - Steve - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:09 am:

Rich:

It’s a cheap put down to say ” The far right is freaking out over the Obama administration’s “Common Core” learning program”. There are plenty of public school teachers, union members, and left wing activists that don’t believe in one size fits all. After all, Common Core is laughable: like everyone is going on to college! That’s a funny one.

10. - Left Leaner - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:12 am:

Wow. Just…wow.

11. - wordslinger - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:12 am:

–“[Joe Walsh is] someone I look up to and model myself after.”–

That smoke you see in the distance is Jim Edgar’s hair on fire.

Bound to happen. Lot of combustible material there, and Dillard is playing with matches around Edgar’s legacy.

12. - Lil Squeezy - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:13 am:

Perhaps Dillard was speaking of the guitar player.

13. - N'ville - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:13 am:

Whatever happened to the “most electable moderate Republican”?

14. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:16 am:

=== There are plenty of public school teachers, union members, and left wing activists that don’t believe in one size fits all===

I don’t disagree, but he was on Joe Walsh’s program and he’s running to the far right in a GOP primary.

15. - dupage dan - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:16 am:

=== Jim Edgar’s hair on fire ===

Jim Edgar’s public repudiation in 3, 2, 1……

16. - LincolnLounger - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:18 am:

I cannot believe these words came out of the mouth of a man I’ve known and liked for years.

In no circumstances could I ever vote for him for Governor. If it’s Dillard v. Quinn, I skip the race.

17. - dupage dan - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:18 am:

I want to see Dillard channel Walsh. C’mon, Kirk, let it fly - scream a bit, bounce off the walls,

It worked so well for Joe…….

18. - Michelle Flaherty - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:19 am:

That billion and a half surplus was because they weren’t making a real pension payment. If that alleged surplus had been dumped into the pension systems, we’d be a in a lot better shape now.

Does Dillard really want people to look into how much — or little — money the Edgar admin put into the systems during those 8 years?

19. - Precinct Captain - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:20 am:

I can’t keep my eyes off this trainwreck.

20. - Seriously????!!!!! - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:21 am:

Lack of funds (and common sense) has forced Dillard to sell out to the far right in hopes that he can somehow win the GOP Primary. Unfortunately, if that miracle would occur, he is horribly positioned to be victorious in the General. What a shame! I like Dillard and think that he and Tracy make a good team that would run the state much more efficiently and pragmatically. Unfortunately, his decision to go far right and lack of ability to define conservatism is very disheartening.

Rauner is the ultimate con man with one negative after the other - so Rutherford is starting to look more and more like the best alternative assuming he doesn’t self-implode. Why can’t the GOP get their act together?!!!

21. - Siriusly - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:24 am:

sort of sad actually - he’s just giving Rauner the election by trying to out Brady Brady

22. - Conservative Republican - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:25 am:

Rich, this isn’t the first time that you referenced “hateful” speakers at the IFI rally, and thereby tarbrushed Dillard (and others). Take a broad look at any left of center public rally or protest, and you’ll hear plenty of “hateful” left wing statements and signage. But would you apply “guilt by association” to Democratic politicians who speak at or show up at such events?

23. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:25 am:

Dillard’s loss was a “campaign staff loss” last time, as - dupage dan - stated so well. I always have said Dillard needed to build the infastructure to win. I never made a point that Sen. Dillard needed to move “Right” one bit.

You lose by 193 votes, you are not the “same” after; personally,…professionally. Where Kirk Dillard is failing/failed in this run is Kirk Dillard would have hammered “Kirk Dillard, 2014″ for forgetting what makes the ILGOP appealable to the people of Illinois, the ILGOP that had all 6 statewides, and majorities in both Chambers.

Maybe “Kirk Dillard” is a symbol of the ILGOP, with a carrer in the near term almost paralell to what has happened and is happening with My Party.

- Lack of field operations

- Lack of even FINDING “pluses”… to have a field operation to get the “pluses” to vote.

- Using poor analysis of failures as “failing to be far enough ‘Right’ to win.

- Appearing rigid on social issues, allowing the word ‘extreme’ to be ‘In-Play’.

- Allowing the movement to ‘to the Center’ appear as a ‘Failure’ for anyone in the ILGOP

Does any of these seem to paralell both “Kirk Dillard, 2014″ and My Party in the last 4 years?

It appears to me, very clearly, that the decision was made early on, that the mistake that needs to be “corrected” in 2014 is …

As I listen and type this, it saddens me that this new Dillard, keeps “looking back” and not learing one thing … about how all those Majorities were earned in the IL House and the ILSenate, and how Edgar, Kustra, Ryan, Ryan, Didrickson, and Topinka, elected with Phillip and Daniels … were not all the same, and how working towards coalitions in My Party … got to the governing of Illinois.

We are coming up on 20 years (1994), and it seems like 100 years, as we move farther away… from building that Reagan Rule of 80%.

I am sad, listening to this interview. For “Kirk Dillard, 2014″. The selection of Jil Tracy gave me “hope” for you, that you see this opportunity to govern again the most serious of the other 3 in the Primary, so why do you then tact in a way that makes you the opposite of what made you “the choice” of many 4 years ago?

If you just would have found the voters, instead of “finding your new self”, this run might have more speed inits gallup.

24. - OneMan - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:27 am:

Whatever happened to the “most electable moderate Republican”?

He became Dan Rutherford…

25. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:27 am:

@MichelleFlaherty: Is it really a surprise Dillard sees nothing wrong with failing to make necessary pension payments? I mean if he’s going to look up to and model himself after Deadbeat Joe and all.

26. - wordslinger - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:34 am:

– Unfortunately, his decision to go far right and lack of ability to define conservatism is very disheartening.–

Dillard is being quite clear in defining his brand of “conservatism.”

He models himself after Joe Walsh and is thankful for the efforts of Dave Smith of the Illinois Family Institute, the man who wrote that supporters of gay marriage “hate the God of Christianity and The Bible.”

Dillard had choices and he made them. I don’t doubt his sincerity and I certainly don’t feel sorry for him.

27. - MrJM - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:40 am:

Walsh: “Do you like freedom, and why?”

Dillard: “Yes. I like ‘free‘ and I love ‘dumb‘…”

– MrJM

28. - UISer - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:40 am:

Did something happen in the past four years that made Dillard decide he no longer wanted to be Gov?

29. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:43 am:

The historically-low GOP approval ratings lately are a direct result of the tea party.

“[Joe Walsh is] someone I look up to and model myself after.”

Dillard wants to be a deadbeat and loser too?

30. - Buster - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:44 am:

Kirk continues to self-destruct. SAD.

31. - Wensicia - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:53 am:

–“[Joe Walsh is] someone I look up to and model myself after.”–

It’s sad to think of the contempt Dillard must have for the voters he’s trying to attract if he believes they’ll swallow this nonsense.

32. - TooManyJens - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 10:55 am:

Common Core isn’t an Obama administration initiative, though. It’s coming from the states.

“Q. What is the Common Core State Standards Initiative?

A. The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts and mathematics that states voluntarily adopt. The standards are designed to ensure that students graduating from high school are prepared to enter credit bearing entry courses in two or four year college programs or enter the workforce. The standards are clear and concise to ensure that parents, teachers, and students have a clear understanding of the expectations in reading, writing, speaking and listening, language and mathematics in school.

Q. Who leads the Common Core State Standards Initiative?

A. The nation’s governors and education commissioners, through their representative organizations the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) led the development of the Common Core State Standards and continue to lead the initiative. Teachers, parents, school administrators and experts from across the country together with state leaders provided input into the development of the standards.”

33. - Stuff happens - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:05 am:

Good on him! Dillard has already served more than one term, but he can still lose in politics and host a radio show.

34. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:07 am:

Apparently D-Lard is thinking he can get away with pandering to the base and the rest of us just won’t hear it because he said it to Joe Walsh.

Because that’s how radio works, you know.

35. - Bill White - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:12 am:

I can;t wait until Jim Oberweis goes on the show

=== Do you like ice cream, and why? ===

36. - OneMan - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:14 am:

Hey giving money to an organization is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY different thank taking their money people…

37. - Bill Wick - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:23 am:

Thanking people for coming to Springfield, and paying the radio host a compliment only paints Dillard as a gentleman. Especially to the low information voter. That’s the vote you need to become Governor in this state. That’s how Quinn won.

38. - Joan P. - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:39 am:

“[Joe Walsh is] someone I look up to and model myself after.”

Translation: I’m a loser.

39. - Demoralized - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:45 am:

==this isn’t the first time that you referenced “hateful” speakers at the IFI rally==

Maybe that’s because there were hateful speakers at the rally. That’s not really a debateable point.

==But would you apply “guilt by association”==

Dillard specifically said: I thank Dave Smith of the Illinois Family Institute and those who came down to Springfield” He has associated himself with everyone at the rally.

== Take a broad look at any left of center public rally or protest, and you’ll hear plenty of “hateful” left wing statements and signage==

That may be true but the rally Dillard refers to was the anti-gay marriage rally.

Sheesh.

40. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:48 am:

“That’s how Quinn won.”

Do you think that folks who don’t want church and state combined are low info voters?

41. - Norseman - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:50 am:

Dillard is staking his political career on this say anything, do anything bid of Governor. It’s failing miserably. Most of those that supported him before must be shocked by the way he’s sold his soul to the extreme right.

If he wants to salvage his career, he should drop out of the Governor’s race and run for re-election.

42. - West Side the Best Side - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:52 am:

“Thank you for having me on you show” is a compliment. “You’re somone I look up to and model myself after” is pandering.

43. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:55 am:

- Norseman -,

I had hoped if Dillard decided not to run for Governor, Dillard would have been one I hoped to take the reins of the SGOP, with instant credibility to the Reagan Rule, and now with Durkin the Leader of the HGOP, a Dillard/Durkin Legislative tag-team could do what needs to be done to move off the Veto-Proof status.

I would have liked that “Team” alot.

44. - DuPage Dave - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:56 am:

It will be a sad day when Dillard drops out of the race. He has been the most consistently entertaining candidate out there. I would really have enjoyed watching him campaign against Quinn all next year.

45. - Ggal - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 11:57 am:

@conservative republican

when did it become acceptable to defend someone who calls gay people disease filled deviants in the public arena?

46. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 12:05 pm:

OW

When he does this, how many of the votes he got in 10 does he lose ? It seems to be a losing strategy to me. He was a moderate candidate when I voted for him in 10. He becomes a right wing extremist in 14. He no longer gets my vote & probably loses a whole lot more. Brady is already the darling of the far right. Dillard probably doesn’t get much support from them. Rececent national polling indicates that a substantial number of Americans identify with being moderate (far more than identify themselves as conservative). I just don’t see how he can win by surrendering the middle & attempting to get the Brady voters.

“…to move “Right”, and not … find more voters, nay, any voters favorable to “Kirk Dillard, 2010″ and get those voters to the polls.”

47. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 12:10 pm:

- AFSCME Steward -,

With loads of respect,

I think you misread it, I was pointing out … mistakes being made by the choices that are being made.

To me, that decision … was a mistake.

Apologies, if I was not clear to you.

This is the very next line of the Post …

===This decision may haunt “Kirk Dillard, 2014″ in one or both Elections this new Dillard is facing in 2014.===

Again, with respect, and apologies if I was not clear.

48. - Norseman - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 12:26 pm:

Willy, I think his loss to Radogno took the wind out of his sails as far as the Senate. He wants to be a player and that loss served as notice that he’s hit the ceiling in the caucus.

49. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 12:32 pm:

- Norseman -,

You are very correct. Looking at it from the outside, and outside Dillard himself looking at the Senate, I had hoped for another bite at that apple, especially with Durkin taking over the House aparatus. A 2015 with Dillard/Durkin running the Shops in the Legislature was something, for me, I can be excited about, even with that possibility long since gone…

I know, - Norseman -, “move on…”

You are right.

50. - Shore - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 12:41 pm:

It underscores Walsh’s enduring staying power, but also what a joke Dillard/Edgar have made of themselves and how badly they’ve missed their opportunity/moment to move up. He and Rauner right now are Romney like in their push to turn themselves into political pretzels to impress the party base.

not impressive

51. - Eve - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 1:03 pm:

Yep, those “Communist” Core Standards… supported by the Civic Cmte, local chambers, the Business Roundtable, United Way, charter schools, PTA, Stand for Children, Advance IL, school management, and teachers unions. http://commoncoreil.org/about/

When both the AFT and the conservative Fordham Institute say we have the lowest standards in the country…. and we have a 60% community college remediation rate… and a skills gap that leaves about 200k jobs unfilled in IL because we don’t have the employees to fill them… I’d say our standards could use a little alignment with what it means to be college- and career-ready.

52. - hacker - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 1:05 pm:

little squeezy, you owe me a cup of coffee, thankfully my computer still works.

53. - Obamas Puppy - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 1:09 pm:

Does anyone want to mention that this 401 K BS passed off by the IPI would financially sink the pension systems and probably lead to a property tax increase. I guess sponsoring the show buys you the right to ask the first question. Receipt please!

54. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 1:13 pm:

===would financially sink the pension systems and probably lead to a property tax increase===

Untrue on the first point, true on the second.

Untrue because an employee who opts out of the pension system dramatically lowers state costs.

Yes, the state loses his/her contributions, but the state is no longer on the hook for the rest of his/her expected pension costs, which are far, far greater than employee contributions.

55. - Buzzie - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 2:02 pm:

Desperation has made many people say and do some really weird things.

56. - itsericwithaK - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 3:22 pm:

Dillard was on the Walsh radio show…how can you expect him to bash Walsh on his own show? If you take the time to listen to all the candidates who did the show you will hear them all pander to Joe Walsh.

57. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 3:24 pm:

===how can you expect him to bash Walsh on his own show?===

Who suggested that?

58. - Ouch! - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 3:36 pm:

Somewhat cringe worthy statement from Dillard.

Reminds me of the statements in which Quinn continually attempts to tie himself to Obama.

59. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, Oct 31, 13 @ 4:16 pm:

OW

Very busy day today (as usual).

I was in total agreement with you. I was just commenting on my puzzlement at just what Dillard is attempting to accomplish. With the state already being blue, and a nationwide trend away from the extreme right, it seems he is building new bridges to nowhere as he burns the ones he already has. Dillard should have looked at his loss from the perspective of what was occurring politically at the time and examined what went wrong with his campaign. It almost seems like he is trying to get a redo of the 10 GOP primary, this time being the right winger everybody wanted. Unfortunately, he fails to realize that each election cycle is different. What was a hot button issue or winning approach 4 years ago may not ne true this cycle. He seems out of touch and lacks good campaign advice. Brady already has the hard right vote locked up. Being a born again Tea Partier will not convince them to vote for him.

“- AFSCME Steward -,

With loads of respect,

To me, that decision … was a mistake.

Apologies, if I was not clear to you.

This is the very next line of the Post …

Again, with respect, and apologies if I was not clear.”

* Another lawsuit filed in Quincy veterans' home deaths: "For a year and a half, he loved that place. And it killed him"
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* State bond rating worst in nation — but at leas.....
* Gov. Rauner's DC allergy successfully treat.....
* Gov. Rauner receives Fletcher Award..
* Why Your Pension Is Doomed..
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stab.....
* Illinois gets some breathing room from Moody's..
* Moody's has some good news on Illinois credit..
* Village recommends tax incentive for Elk Grove .....
* Gun rights advocate see Pritzker as a committed.....
* As rents soar, Democrats push new policies on a.....

* Cooling towers disinfected after bacteria at state building
* About 200 expected to lose Omaha jobs with office closing
* Owners may demolish pyramid home in Illinois after fire
* Chicago’s John Marshall Law School to merge into UIC
* Arkansas man sentenced for selling guns in Chicago area
* All aboard: Indiana town’s railroad-themed area adds caboose
* Fire, water damage made result in Pyramid House demolition
* Judge: Religious nonprofit exempt from unemployment taxes
* Judge in court as a defendant in misdemeanor gun case
* Report: Lake oil spill in Michigan would cost nearly $2B

* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Incumbents hold big fundraising leads in central Illinois legislative races
* Springfield man wins Illinois State Police logo contest
* Rauner 'deeply troubled' by Trump's Helsinki comments
* Rauner signs bill to ease physician assistant hiring
* Bill taking Illinois out of voter registration system vetoed

* What's up at United? Hope, if not profit.
* Northwestern cuts back amid budget shortfalls
* FTD shakes up leadership as it mulls sale
* China sinks money into U.S. hyperloop startups
* Moody's has some good news on Illinois credit

* ‘Thorn Birds’ author’s widower wins court battle over estate
* Mark Wahlberg wants to sell cars — buying Chevy dealership in Ohio
* Hoge & Jahns Podcast: Back in Bourbonnais for Bears training camp
* Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson, James Corden to star in ‘Cats’ film
* State building’s cooling towers disinfected after legionella bacteria found
* Trump ready to go all-in on taxing Chinese imports
* At least 13 die after duck boat capsizes in Missouri lake
* Man, 60, wounded in Lawndale shooting
* Person shot several times, critically wounded in Bronzeville
* Have fun in Chicago this weekend! July 20-22

* TreeHouse Foods moves 200 jobs from Omaha to Oak Brook, Green Bay
* Divers hunt for 4 after duck boat sinks in storm, killing at least 13 on Missouri lake
* In spite of all their woes, the Cardinals don't believe in sell-offs
* Turmoil slows rebuilding of Puerto Rico's power grid
* 25 years after Michael Jordan’s father was murdered, key questions still remain unanswered
* ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson takes leave to care for wife, son
* Roquan Smith's holdout, Allen Robinson's challenges and more
* Cubs closer Brandon Morrow on MRI results: 'Nothing that can't clear up with rest'
* Man killed in Gresham, 7 others wounded in shootings Thursday, early Friday
* LaVar Ball still not clear about JBA coach's discipline — or his plan for players' futures

» #660 PJ Morton & Opinions on Drake
» July 19, 2018 - Full Show
» Berwyn Homeowners Squeezed By School District Miscalculation
» How Conservatism Won In Wisconsin; Illinois Election Security; Special Olympics 50th Anniversary
» Illinois Prison Officials Accused of Abusing Transgender Inmate
» Money Machines: Billionaires Rain Cash — With Strings Attached?
» July 18, 2018 - Full Show
» Fast Food ‘No Poaching’ Clauses; Trade Wars & Farmers; Small Town ‘Brain Gain’
» 'Carnaval’ Festival To Highlight Latinx Stories In Theater
» The Cook County Sheriff Is Launching A Podcast On Opioid Addiction

* Counterpoint: His pick is bad news indeed for health care, women, consumers and unions
* Point: Kavanaugh is truly a 'judge's judge' and precisely what our nation needs
* Eugene Robinson: The 'deep state' stands between us and the abyss
* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Bernard Schoenburg: Bourne, Clark clash over missed votes
* Our View: Access to Narcan key to combating addiction

* Champaign shootings under investigation
* 3 men injured after semi crashes into box truck near Okawville, police say
* Decatur and Macon County neighbors: Obituaries published today
* VIDEO: Getzner officially opens Decatur facility with expansion in mind
* Showtime: Decatur competes for America in Bloom title after months of preparation
* Clinton AmVets Post 14 gets grant to build
* AWOL pig makes brief appearance near Delavan
* At least 17 injured as tornadoes sweep through Iowa
* Rick's Six: Tornadoes injure 17, quarry death, and new store opens in Northpark
* Belleville schools settle lawsuits alleging students with special needs were injured

* Croatian media: Forward Kalinic refused WCup medal
* Feder: FCC blasts Sinclair 'misrepresentation' in Tribune deal
* Cooling towers disinfected after bacteria at state building
* At least 11 die when duck boat capsizes in Missouri lake
* As camp begins, Bears QB Trubisky's sole focus is blocking out distractions

* Luis Gutierrez for Impeachment: Tru...
* House Approves Pro-ICE Resolution
* Liberal groups protest Trump but mostly st...
* Calendar Listings
* Ernst: President Trump 'not upholding ...
* House Democrats Reveal 2018's Slogan: ...
* House Dems, with Bustos' help, unveil ...
* Limbaugh laughs at Dems' midterm motto...
* Democrats Announce New Slogan for Midterms...
* 'For the People': House Democrats&...

* Gov. Rauner's DC allergy successfully ......
* No, The Failed Ninth Circuit Court Nominat......
* The Senate Feels Need to Oppose Turning Ov......
* Anti-money laundering reform needs more Re......
* The Senate delivered a rare, unified rebuk......

* Rep. Lieu: Trump's Statements in Helsi......
* Gov. Rauner's DC allergy successfully ......
* Sen. Duckworth weighs in on Trump's Su......
* Sen. Tammy Duckworth on breast-feed......
* Landscapers advocate for H-2B during Legis......

* The [Monday] Papers
* Immigrant Infants Too Young To Talk Called Into Court To Defend Themselves
* Does the Second Amendment apply to black people?
* Sinclair-Tribune Deal On Life Support
* The Cook County efiling system is not just slow and inconvenient, it is downright scary... a review, continued
* The Pitchfork Music Festival and more of the best things to do in Chicago this weekend
* Sarra Jahedi wants to welcome you into her family
* Free Walking Tours Of Uptown Entertainment District This Saturday
* Another piece of Chicago’s industry moves to far sout’east corner of city
* Beautify Clarendon Park With Your Neighbors

* Summit for Success: IDOT providing tools, opportunity for disadvantaged businesses
* Illinois Payrolls Jump +18,100
* Liquor Control Commission Underage Compliance Report for Cook County
* Gov. Rauner receives Fletcher Award from National Black Chamber of Commerce
* Nursing Home Violations for Second Quarter 2018

* The Motiv Ring is a fitness tracker for folks who hate fitness trackers
* The best electric skateboard
* Get up to speed on Python with this double-barreled course package
* Venmo refuses to say why transactions are public by default
* Samsung Galaxy Watch surfaces at FCC with support for all four major carriers
* The 2018 MacBook Pro has a problem with overheating
* Wearables vs. proctors: Test taking security in the era of constant connectivity

* The worst finishes in White Sox history
* White Sox Minor League Update: July 19, 2018
* Kopech fans nine for Charlotte
* Under the Radar: Tyler Danish
* MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL: Mooresville's Watts signs with White ...
* Scouting report: White Sox vs. Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field
* Showing so far bodes well for Astros' road to repeat