Rauner apologizes for no budget, blames Dems
Tuesday, Oct 6, 2015 - Posted by Rich Miller
* The governor spoke to reporters the other day. And even though he talked on Friday, it’s still worth watching him artfully dodge some questions and responsibilities.
From our pals at BlueRoomStream…
* Rauner ‘personally committed’ to UI, ‘very unhappy we don’t have a budget’: “We’re going through some financial difficulties right now. I apologize for that,” Rauner said during his dedication remarks. “The university and other institutions suffer because of that.”
* Rauner Tells University Presidents He’s Working For Better Funding, Despite One-Third Cut: “I have made it clear to the [U of I] president that I am very unhappy that we do not have yet a budget,” Rauner said. “It’s outrageous, there’s no reason for this to be dragged on so long…and I’m working with the [U of I] president to help him get efficiencies and economies inside the administration so we can save money wherever possible.” Rauner also says he wants to increase state support for universities. That’s despite his spending plan, which cuts nearly a third of higher education dollars from the state’s budget.
* Rauner Sympathizes with U of I: He suggested getting more resources to the university but earlier this year proposed a 31 percent cut in state funding to the universities and also decried what he characterized as a fat-cat culture of administrators. With reporters after the event, the governor blamed lawmakers for not passing a balanced budget, not raising taxes if they so desire, and ignoring his Turnaround Agenda.
* Bruce Rauner on Dems: We’re still talking, but they need to take action