Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x2 - McCann, Pritzker respond *** Rauner criticized, praised for officiating gay marriage

Thursday, Jul 12, 2018

* Illinois Review

An Instagram post of Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner appearing to officiate at the wedding of Equality Illinois board member Mark Cozzi and James Koeke on July 1st has been stirring interest for the past few days.

The photo is on newlywed Mark Cozzi’s Instagram account, along with photos of him and his new husband on their honeymoon in Italy. While the governor’s part in the ceremony as the photo indicates has not been clarified, it’s obvious that Rauner is no longer hopeful of attracting social conservatives to help re-elect him in November.

“It’s clear that the governor has learned nothing from his near-loss in the Republican primary this year,” Illinois Family Institute’s executive director David E. Smith told Illinois Review. “He’s not interested in attracting social conservatives to get out and vote Republican this fall.” […]

The governor has chosen to snub the Illinois Republican Party social conservative base despite being faced with near-mutiny when he almost lost the 2018 Republican Primary to conservative State Rep. Jeanne Ives in March.

* Sun-Times

Others applauded the governor’s role in the wedding. Ed Yohnka, spokesman for the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, said it shows “love is love and that people are recognizing that.”

“I don’t really know all the politics of it. I’m going to guess some of it. But the truth is, it’s just a public official respecting and honoring the fact that love is just love,” Yohnka said. “I thought they [the Illinois Family Institute], my friend David, is supposed to be about families and this is a family and it’s a wonderful thing.”

Equality Illinois — the state’s civil rights organization for LGBTQ people — too, applauded Rauner’s role in the wedding.

“As chief executive of our state, it is appropriate for Gov. Rauner to administer government-sanctioned functions, including marriage,” said Mike Ziri, spokesman for Equality Illinois. “There is no license to discriminate in Illinois, as the Illinois Family Institute seems to falsely believe.”

I’ve asked the Pritzker and McCann campaigns for a response.

*** UPDATE 1 *** The Pritzker campaign pointed me to this tweet…

*** UPDATE 2 *** Sen. Sam McCann…

65 Comments »
  1. - Colin O'Scopy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:27 am:

Please, can’t we move past this issue as a social wedge? It’s also disappointing that this even made the news.

2. - Colin O'Scopy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:28 am:

=not interested in attracting social conservatives to get out and vote Republican this fall=

This says it all about the evangelicals. You have to “attract” them by shunning others.

3. - morningstar - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:29 am:

Amen, Colin. Amen.

4. - morningstar - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:30 am:

= The governor has chosen to snub the Illinois Republican Party social conservative base =
    Or maybe he just chose to support his friends.

5. - Christopher - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:34 am:

Here, I fixed it:
    “It’s clear that our organization has learned nothing from our ignorance,” Illinois Family Institute’s executive director David E. Smith told Illinois Review.

6. - Honeybear - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:36 am:

Conservative southern Illinoisans,
    Rauner has never
    Cared what you think
    Or cared about your economic needs
    This is a direct disrespect.
    Just like not trying at all for the
    Metro East NGA bid.
    Direct disrespect.
    He doesn’t care about you.

7. - Ron Burgundy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:38 am:

If this is “disrespect,” keep right on disrespecting as far as I am concerned.

8. - SAP - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:38 am:

Good on the Governor for this.

9. - Jocko - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:41 am:

==He’s not interested in attracting social conservatives==

Who conveniently overlook their president’s trampling of the ten commandments.

10. - Birdseed - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:41 am:

=== - Honeybear - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:36 am:

Just like not trying at all for the
    Metro East NGA bid. ===

Seems labor disagrees with you.

11. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:42 am:

Jeanne hauling out the hammer and tongs now. Go get em tiger

12. - Honeybear - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:42 am:

Wow…officiating a gay wedding
    I think it’s so awesome
    HB 40 protections for abortion
    Given the new Supreme Court
    Roe v wade will come down
    But HB 40 insured that
    Illinois will remain a pro abortion state
    Thanks Bruce
    It seems obvious that as long as you don’t
    Threaten his investments
    He’s okay deferring social issues
    To his wife’s needs
    Thanks Mrs Rauner

13. - Colin O'Scopy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:45 am:

Honeybear, why do all your posts read like a bad haiku?

“I once knew
    a Governor
    from Nantucket”

14. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:45 am:

–it’s obvious that Rauner is no longer hopeful of attracting social conservatives to help re-elect him in November.–

Meh, Illinois Review. Not truly “social” or “conservative.” More like “bitter” and “antediluvian.”

Props to Rauner for venturing into the light, for a little while. Mazeltov to the newlyweds.

15. - Seats - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:48 am:

Good for Bruce. I like to see this side of him. Have to think this hurts his votes though. With the two new faces on the ballot i’m guessing some Republican voters who take issue with this could send their votes to McCann who voted against same sex marriage & there is little he could do at this point to win Democrats votes.

16. - BlueDogDem - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:51 am:

Personally. I don’t care who weds who. But folks who truly have religious convictions on issues aren’t necessarily old fashioned. Maybe. Just maybe they are ahead of their time.

17. - Actual Red - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:53 am:

@Honeybear
    I agree that Rauner is inconsistent. It makes no sense to me for someone to support egalitarian social policies but be so staunchly opposed to egalitarian economic policies. That said, this cuts both ways — it is equally nonsensical to be an economic egalitarian but to reject policies that promote equality in the non-economic arena. I am a little surprised at what looks like your promotion or at least acceptance of discriminatory ideas about marriage equality, given your usual commitment to equity in economics.

18. - Just Me - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:58 am:

Well a year from now Smith, Ives, and all the other conservative zealots can complain about a Democratic Governor who is 100% against everything they stand for instead of a Republican Governor who at least is with them when it counts.

19. - Just Me - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 9:59 am:

Weak response by Pritzker camp. Guilty by association is all they have on this issue.

20. - Colin O'Scopy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:04 am:

@Just Me

=instead of a Republican Governor who at least is with them when it counts.=

They would disagree with this statement with their last breath.

21. - People Over Parties - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:05 am:

22. - Exclamation Point Deleted - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:08 am:

I usually refrain from using Politifact as a source but even they admit claims about V.P. Pence’s “conversion therapy” are “half-true” - and they are even not quite sure on that.

23. - Nick Name - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:10 am:

To the update: it says all you really need to know about Gov. Gaslight.

24. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:12 am:

===Good for Rauner, time to sweep Republican anti-LGBT politics into the ash heap of history.===

LOL

LGBTQ couples trying to buy a cake or flowers… you think the GOP as a whole is fine with that now?

Hmm.

You aren’t paying attention

25. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:12 am:

“But folks who truly have religious convictions on issues aren’t necessarily old fashioned. Maybe. Just maybe they are ahead of their time.”

As the Grandson of Man, I confirm that the Son of Man is not against gay marriage. He commands us to love each other, and everything follows from this. Homophobia comes from humans, and these people are not ahead of their time.

Rauner has serious problems with social conservatives. I’m with the social conservatives all the way in this respect: that Rauner lies to suit himself over issues that are very important, like pro-life. Rauner has very little regard for supporters and opponents, as we can see with the “I’m one of you” costumes.

26. - Exclamation Point Deleted - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:15 am:

Grandson - you are perilously toeing the line of blasphemy.

27. - Nick Name - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:15 am:

===Honeybear, why do all your posts read like a bad haiku?

“I once knew
    a Governor
    from Nantucket”===

Colin, your response isn’t a Haiku either. You can’t rewrite the first line of a famous limerick and call it a Haiku.

Three lines, seventeen syllables total:
    Governor Bruce Rauner
    Likes to gaslight
    Sending votes to Sam McCann

28. - Just Me - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:17 am:

@ Colin O’Scopy -

Please remind me which candidate wants to raise taxes and which candidate wants to cut them. Please remind me which candidate stands with Mike Madigan and which does not.

I agree with you that the conservative zealots feel that way, but I don’t agree that they’re correct.

29. - Juice - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:22 am:

Pritzker camp should have just congratulated the happy couple and left it at that.

30. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:24 am:

“Grandson - you are perilously toeing the line of blasphemy.”

Lol, don’t I know it. They slew the prophets and crucified the Son of Man.

31. - Lester Holt’s Mustache - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:28 am:

==is with them when it counts.==

When exactly would that be? Other than trashing Chicago at every opportunity, he hasn’t really done anything for social conservatives in Illinois. His hostage taking tactics through three consecutive budgets arguably hurt smaller, conservative-leaning downstate communities more than it did Chicago. He’s had a decidedly liberal streak on social issues like marriage equality, criminal justice reform and reproductive rights. He hasn’t gone out on any limbs for the 2A folks, mostly has mouthed the standard republican platitudes about gun owner rights. Signed the sanctuary state bill too.

I think he’s done good job on social issues - and I’m far from a social conservative.

32. - Colin O'Scopy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:29 am:

@Nick Name

It was a joke. Haiku, limerick, sonnet, pastoral who cares. If I wanted a lit lesson, I would have gone to the blog at the Poetry Society.

Here’s a link if you want to post on their political blog:

33. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:33 am:

–But folks who truly have religious convictions on issues aren’t necessarily old fashioned.–

What religious convictions are you talking about? Polygamy?

Plenty of that in the Bible. Moses, the lawgiver, had three wives, so it was certainly kosher in his day.

Maybe he was ahead of his time.

34. - Honeybear - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:34 am:

Sorry didn’t use the s/ for snark
    My bad
    I am totally pro choice, lgbtq rights
    I was poking social conservatives

As too my blank verse style
    It’s easier to type on my old iPhone
    But people now associate it with me
    “Honeybear poem”

As to Japanese poetry style
    A haiku must contain a seasonal reference
    What you wrote was a senryu
    5-7-5 but no seasonal reference

35. - WSJ Paywall - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:40 am:

=Just maybe they are ahead of their time.=

They aren’t

36. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:46 am:

If Rauner really officiated at a same sex wedding, then I’d put that really high on the list of things I’ll give him credit and praise for. It might even be more praise worthy than restoring the mansion because it certainly took some guts to publicly act our his values on this one. The mansion only cost him some cash.

37. - Exclamation Point Deleted - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 10:49 am:

47th - if Mike Ziri is saying it happened then it happened. Mike is as big of a Republican “hater” as I have ever met so I can only imagine that he grit his teeth as he wrote/reported/confirmed it.

38. - JS Mill - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:06 am:

=Maybe. Just maybe they are ahead of their time.=

Nope, they are behind the times.

39. - Henry Francis - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:06 am:

40. - Actual Red - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:16 am:

@Honeybear — apologies for missing the snark.

41. - Skeptic - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:25 am:

As much as I dislike Rauner, I’ll give him props for this.

42. - Saluki - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:27 am:

43. - Ron Burgundy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:32 am:

–Are pro-traditional marriage comments still allowed in the public square? Just curious. Can a person hold those perspectives and not be a horrible person?….asking for a friend….–

In my opinion, yes, if this friend can refrain from denigrating others while expressing them.

44. - SAP - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:46 am:

Appearing with Pence and officiating a gay wedding does look like evidence of no social agenda to me. Agree with Juice, a simple congrats from Pritzker would have been better.

45. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:57 am:

–Are pro-traditional marriage comments still allowed in the public square? Just curious.–

Who would prevent you from making them? Just curious.

The Weepin’ Victim is strong in this one.

46. - Jibba - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 11:59 am:

Governor Rauner
    All misrepresentations
    Long summer and fall

47. - BlueDogDem - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 12:08 pm:

Saluki. I respect your opinion. Although gay marriage seems like such a non issue to Me, I certainly understand the religious and moral side of abortion. Feel free to stand your ground. You make a lot of sense.

48. - Hysteria - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 12:26 pm:

Saluki - I think that in a generally respectful forum such as this, such comments are allowed, but in the true public forum, such comments, along with anti-abortion comments, get you branded a crazy right-winger.

49. - @misterjayem - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 1:29 pm:

winter turns to spring
    as muddy snow melts away
    water gets called wet

– MrJM

50. - mana - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 1:32 pm:

Looks like Rauner is trying to win over the gay votes.

51. - Bumblin stumblin rumblin - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 1:38 pm:

Actually just laughed out loud at the McCann update. What does that even mean? “Out of respect for the couple, Rauner shouldn’t be officiatin’ gay weddings”

Fixed it.

52. - A Jack - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 1:39 pm:

They may be just comparing notes on things to see and do in Italy. The couple is honeymooning in Italy and Rauner will likely move to Italy soon.

53. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 1:39 pm:

===trying to win over the===

Or maybe he just did something decent for a friend and supporter.

54. - RNUG - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 1:45 pm:

== Out of respect for a private couple I’d reserve my comment to, Bruce Rauner, you’re fired. ==

Sam has learned the value of a good sound bite.

55. - Thoughts Matter - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 2:03 pm:

Oh for Petes’ sake. I don’t care if the Governor attended or officiated this wedding. I’m not going to vote for him because he’s practically destroyed this state because he didn’t care about anyone less fortunate than himself and his cronies.
    Those who believe in traditional marriage should not participate in or attend one. Otherwise I’d suggest trying to get stuff like ‘Married at First Sight, Married by Mom and Dad, 90 day fiancée, the Bachelor(Ette) and the Proposal off the TV. That’s what actually goes against the sanctity of marriage.

For once, the governor showed some respect for others.

56. - NIU Grad - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 2:09 pm:

I’m a little confused by the sentence structure of that McCann statement…

57. - Just Me - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 2:13 pm:

@Saluki - You’re more than welcome to express your opinion for special benefits that only straight people are able to enjoy. You are not allowed to do so while saying mean, inappropriate, or discriminatory things towards a minority group that has to deal with such harassment on a regular basis simply because they are who God made them.

58. - Leatherneck - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 2:21 pm:

I wonder when the first time will be that the Pritzker campaign responds to a McCann statement or response. Something tells me I wouldn’t be surprised if they might respond to today’s statement.

59. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 2:25 pm:

Good on Rauner to officiate.

Rauner could face backlash, (apparently has) and with all choices, even making a choice that is deemed logical to his position and the law, the politics will again be the focal point.

Conservatives will feel as the feel.

Phonies like Mr. Breen, and the HB40 example, will hem and haw, but will support Rauner.

Will conservatives who still believe this is something they can’t support, what will they do in November, support McCann?

Dunno.

60. - I Miss Bentohs - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 2:41 pm:

= The Guv tweets everything. Yet nothing about this on his official Guv, or personal twitter. What does that say? =

It says nothing which is what it should say. Tad disheartening this is still a story in this day and age.

61. - Jibba - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 3:28 pm:

Mr JM wins the haiku.

62. - revvedup - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 3:39 pm:

snark ON in reaction to Jason’s statement:
    Governor Rauner isn’t inconsistent with his pro/anti LGBTQ votes and actions; he’s schizoid.

In other items, watch for Honeybear’s Haikus :)

And finally:”The long sobbing violins of Illinois
    wound my heart with a monotonous languor…”
    (Verlaine)

63. - Snapper - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 5:58 pm:

Meh, whatever, doesn’t matter to me that it was gay or straight. I’m more fascinated by the fact that Bruce is officiating weddings. I got married last year and he would be one of the last guys I would think about when it would come to doing that gig. Anybody have video, would be interested in his message.

64. - Snapper - Thursday, Jul 12, 18 @ 6:04 pm:

And the Pritzker message is petty. His family was equal partners with Donald Trump on a grand Hyatt and had other business dealings with the president. Pretty sure his family doing business with the president is greater than or equal to a meeting with a vice president on the connection to the Trump administration scale.

65. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 13, 18 @ 9:03 am:

@Just me
    How do you know Pritzger is going to stand with Madigan, he hasn’t been elected yet. Given that he would be the largest Democrat contributor he will have leverage on Madigan that no one else has previously had.
    As far as taxes go, Rauner wanted that tax increase, he had to have that tax increase. If he had not wanted that tax increase he would have sat on that bill for almost the full 60 days then vetoed it, which has been his customary way of dealing with bills he has no intention of signing. He vetoed that budget with the tax increase as soon as it hit his desk so that the Legislature could override him before leaving town. He allowed them to do his heavy lifting for him as he’s never been one to accept any responsibility for tough decisions.

TrackBack URI

Post your comment... And please take a half second to come up with a nickname. It makes following the posts easier for everyone... Thanks

In other words, do your best to be civilized and smart.

* Pritzker meets with moms who've lost their kids to street violence, police shootings
* Caption contest!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Campaign stuff: Morrison; Ives; Skillicorn; Nybo; Rooney; Curran; Breen; Frese
* "And admit that the waters/Around you have grown"
* A tiny bit of good news from Moody's
* Proft files suit so his independent expenditure committee can coordinate with campaigns after caps busted
* Cook shifts governor's race from "Toss Up" to "Lean Democrat" - Third-party candidates "the tipping point"
* Unsolicited advice
* The impasse and the damage done
* Entire IPHCA executive committee resigns, lawyer let go after racism controversy
* Chicago to get its first public law school, but is it a wise move?
* Doom and gloom abounds, but a new pension idea emerges
* Another lawsuit filed in Quincy veterans' home deaths: "For a year and a half, he loved that place. And it killed him"
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* Morning Spin: Moody's has some good news fo.....
* State bond rating worst in nation — but at leas.....
* Gov. Rauner's DC allergy successfully treat.....
* Gov. Rauner receives Fletcher Award..
* Why Your Pension Is Doomed..
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stab.....
* Illinois gets some breathing room from Moody's..
* Moody's has some good news on Illinois credit..
* Village recommends tax incentive for Elk Grove .....
* Gun rights advocate see Pritzker as a committed.....

* Man cleared of murder has trouble depositing compensation
* UI seeks to improve access for transfer students
* Watch cop revive man during fentanyl scare at Illinois strip club
* AP FACT CHECK: Kansas not the ‘sanctuary state’ of Midwest
* Woman injured by lightning strike at Country Thunder
* UI seeks improving access for transfer students
* Cases handled by indicted 2 Chicago officers being dropped
* Family questions use of force in arrest of teen at festival
* Cooling towers disinfected after bacteria at state building
* About 200 expected to lose Omaha jobs with office closing

* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Incumbents hold big fundraising leads in central Illinois legislative races
* Springfield man wins Illinois State Police logo contest
* Rauner 'deeply troubled' by Trump's Helsinki comments
* Rauner signs bill to ease physician assistant hiring
* Bill taking Illinois out of voter registration system vetoed

* Your neighbor isn't a business
* The future of the U.S. looks a lot like Chicago
* What's up at United? Hope, if not profit.
* Lunch, with a side of darts
* This is how Hunter Harrison ran the railroad

* Police officers join summer music program in Logan Square
* EDITORIAL: Equity in school improvement spending is a must for CPS
* Synthetic pot tainted with rat poison sickens hundreds, FDA issues warning
* Starbucks to open its first Signing Store in the US
* Body found in Marquette Park dumpster identified as missing Naperville man
* Chicago Police Department relaxes hiring rules regarding past marijuana use
* Nothing harmless about discussing Russian adoptions at meeting of Trump insiders
* 15-year-old boy shot in Back of the Yards
* Couple carjacked at gunpoint in Bucktown alley
* Salmonella outbreak linked to raw turkey in Illinois, 25 other states

* Cubs getting creamed at wet Wrigley, trail Cardinals 16-1
* ‘We’re really pleased. But it guarantees nothing’: John Paxson repeating Bulls history with rebuild’s roster turnover
* Ohio State: 100 ex-students report sex misconduct by doctor
* Based on a 4-city sampling, apartment search service calls Chicago the 'rat capital' of the nation
* 'Show up for democracy': Naperville woman to protest every night at Riverwalk until mid-term election
* First official Bears training-camp practice of 2018 is underway
* With a crafty tweet, Park Ridge teen becomes a caddie on PGA Tour
* The next sidewalk clash: Pedestrians vs. scooters?
* Consumers, already stung by rising prices, could get socked by Trump's tariffs
* Michael Cohen secretly recorded Trump discussing payments to Playboy model: source

» The Week in Review: Public Outcry Over Police-Involved Shooting
» ‘Ali: A Life’; Sexual Harassment In Bars; NPR’s Sam Sanders
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: July 20, 2018
» UIC To Acquire John Marshall Law School, Creating The City’s First Public Law School
» State Week: Russia Reactions, Gun Laws, Campaign Cash
» #660 PJ Morton & Opinions on Drake
» July 19, 2018 - Full Show
» Berwyn Homeowners Squeezed By School District Miscalculation
» How Conservatism Won In Wisconsin; Illinois Election Security; Special Olympics 50th Anniversary
» Illinois Prison Officials Accused of Abusing Transgender Inmate

* Counterpoint: His pick is bad news indeed for health care, women, consumers and unions
* Point: Kavanaugh is truly a 'judge's judge' and precisely what our nation needs
* Eugene Robinson: The 'deep state' stands between us and the abyss
* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Bernard Schoenburg: Bourne, Clark clash over missed votes
* Our View: Access to Narcan key to combating addiction

* ‘Take some breaths, bro!’ says officer credited with saving lives at strip club
* Never miss the latest in and around Decatur with our daily headlines newsletters
* Ever wonder who repairs Air Force planes? Here’s a Q&A with the guy in charge.
* What does the Air Force Sustainment Center do?
* State rep candidate risks being kicked off ballot for not filing reports
* Boil order lifted in Harrisburg
* Updated: Stashu's Pizza & Deli, Moline, sustained $35K in damage
* Champaign police searching for suspects in Walgreens burglary
* Morton Cinemas blasts Universal Studios for not distributing 'Mamma Mia' to them
* NBC's 'Dateline' set to air Varughese episode Monday

* What services are offered at World Relief's new Carol Stream offices
* With fewer refugees to resettle, World Relief aims to broaden its role
* Topgolf cut from Lincolnshire redevelopment proposal
* WCC settles part of lawsuit over bum cooling system at Aurora campus
* DuPage judge seeks to have record expunged after acquittal

* Brownstein poaches former Pelosi chief of ...
* US Congressman Who Proposed Bitcoin Ban Ha...
* QUICK TAKE: OCC Likes Passage of HR 5749
* Watch Out Washington: Alexandria Ocasio-Co...
* “Ant-Man and the Wasp”
* Deadline looms for municipal election regi...
* Trump-Putin Summit Brings Out Deep State &...
* Future of Cryptocurrency in the US: Commit...
* Rep. Pingree and other Democrats propose s...
* Crypto Mining and Buying Under Threat from...

* Gov. Rauner's DC allergy successfully ......
* No, The Failed Ninth Circuit Court Nominat......
* The Senate Feels Need to Oppose Turning Ov......
* Anti-money laundering reform needs more Re......
* The Senate delivered a rare, unified rebuk......

* Alton Fire Department awarded $227273 grant...
* Sen. Duckworth Responds to Lazare's Di......
* In the Trump era, some find escapism in &#......
* Tammy Duckworth...
* For the disabled, the system is broken...

* Where’s Weyermuller? Seeing Vice President Mike Pence in Rosemont
* The [Tuesday] Papers
* The Beachwood Radio Sports Hour #210: Jabari Parker Already Grinding Coach Coffman's Gears
* Thorner/O'Neil: Human Trafficking as Second Largest Crime Industry in the World
* Chicago Saturday night and Sunday morning.
* Hitting Left with the Klonsky Brothers. Episode #75. Chicago Alderman Ricardo Muñoz.
* Cook County GOP Chairman pushes for committeemen with long Democrat voting histories
* Surprise FCC Move Maims Sinclair-Tribune Merger
* The Week In Chicago Rock
* The sad state of the sandwich at Logan Square deli Rosie’s Sidekick

* IDPH Investigation Continues As Foodborne Illnesses Increase
* Gov. Rauner signs HB 5611
* Summit for Success: IDOT providing tools, opportunity for disadvantaged businesses
* Illinois Payrolls Jump +18,100
* Liquor Control Commission Underage Compliance Report for Cook County

* Let there be a second Light | #PNWeekly 314 (LIVE at 3p ET)
* Gorilla Glass vs Dragontrail Glass vs tempered glass and beyond
* Sony Xperia XZ3 gets portrayed inside various cases
* Writer-director James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 over offensive tweets
* The Walking Dead gets a season 9 trailer and October 7th release date
* With Trump undermining their efforts, Senators drop bid to reimpose sanctions on ZTE
* Limbo and Inside fill a neglected niche in the Switch library