* I checked and this is indeed a thing. Politico…
Richard Goldberg is being recruited by some members of the Illinois GOP to become party chairman, according to a source close to the selection process. The position opened up over the weekend when Chairman Tim Schneider announced he was stepping down after six years. Goldberg most recently served as a director with the White House National Security Council and before that was chief of staff for former Gov. Bruce Rauner and deputy chief of staff to former Sen. Mark Kirk.
… Goldberg, who’s also an intelligence officer in the Naval Reserve with the rank of lieutenant commander, is seen as someone who can work across all areas of the Illinois GOP and stand up to Democrats. Goldberg would bring the star power that comes from working for Trump. He also could help rebuild the Republican presence in Lake County, where Kirk resides. The area has moved left with each election cycle in recent years.
Don Harmon will be so pleased, but give Richard credit for writing a heck of a press release. /s
The Lake County stuff is a jab at the county’s party chairman Mark Shaw, who chairs the Republican County Chairman’s Association and co-chairs the ILGOP in a deal worked out by the Rauner folks a couple of years ago to keep Tim Schneider in power. The same folks who tried to block Shaw back then are still at it. This was sent by one of them…
* Republicans lost majority control of the Lake County Board in 2018 and lost three more seats in 2020
* The Republican Sheriff was defeated in 2018
* The Republican State’s Attorney was defeated in 2020
* The Republican Coroner was defeated in 2020
* State House of Representatives District 61 was lost in 2018 and never regained
* Republicans lost Lake County in the race for Governor in 2018 and for President in both 2016 and 2020
* Republicans lost the majority on the Lake County Forest Preserve Board
* In 2020, Shaw led the Lake County Republican Central Committee Executive Committee in endorsing Jim Oberweis for Congress in the 14th District—someone who already lost a record six races for Congress, US Senate, and Governor. With all of his negative baggage, Oberweis went on to lose the 2020 election by one percent of the vote, while also losing Lake County.
Lake County Precinct Committee Members filing for election:
2016 Primary Election:
2020 Primary Election:
Precinct committeeman recruiting aside, a lot of this cannot be blamed on the party chairman. Lake County has been trending Democratic for years for the same reasons DuPage has changed: Demographics and the GOP’s presidential candidates.
But the Oberweis thing still sticks in a lot of craws of the folks who believe Sen. Sue Rezin would’ve had a much better shot at winning in November. Rezin will be the deputy leader of the Senate Republican Caucus come January.
There was also the 2018 Helene Miller Walsh debacle and Shaw’s weird Facebook posts.