* Four days ago…
The Carlyle, Illinois school district that previously defied Governor J.B. Pritzker’s mask mandate has reversed course after a spike in COVID cases and several students forced to quarantine.
From elementary through high school, Carlyle Community Unit School District No. 1 has fewer than 1,000 kids.
A school board member confirms to 5 On Your Side more than 150 are already in quarantine just two weeks into the year with close to 30 testing positive for COVID-19.
That number could be even higher. The state said Thursday 40 people had tested positive and more than 200 students were going into quarantine.
* But then our old pal Thomas DeVore intervened…
A judge in Clinton County Court says the Carlyle School District does not have the authority to quarantine students.
As a result, a temporary injunction was issued Monday in favor of two Carlyle Unit School District parents whose children had been quarantined.
The attorney for the parents, Thomas DeVore, says the law is clear that only a county health department can quarantine a student and tell them when they can return to class. He argued the school district could not take over the role of quarantining students just because they were not getting the assistance they wanted from the county health department.
DeVore says while the temporary injunction only covers the two children named in the lawsuit, he doubts the school district would continue with their quarantine practice now that they know a judge has ruled against it.
The judge’s TRO is here.
What DeVore wants to do is force either the local county health department or the state Department of Public Health to go to court to quarantine each and every individual student, which is ridiculous.
* But the joke’s on him. The TRO includes this language...
Nothing in this order shall be construed to prohibit the District from implementing a school wide, or district wide, remote learning program.
And that’s exactly what Carlyle Community Unit School District #1 has done. I called over there this morning and they confirmed the district sent everyone home for remote learning on Friday and it will last throughout this week.
So, the truly bizarre folks who got all upset that their kids would miss school because they caught or have been exposed to COVID-19 have managed to shut down in-person learning for everyone in the district.
Complete, utter insanity.
*** UPDATE *** Another DeVore special…
Motions for a temporary restraining order and a preliminary injunction against the Quincy School District and superintendent Roy Webb were filed at the Adams County Courthouse late Monday afternoon by an attorney representing three Quincy families.
The motions were filed by Thomas Devore, a Sorento, Ill., attorney with Silver Lake Group, Ltd., in Greenville, on behalf of plaintiffs Scott and Jamie Lowary and their child, Christina Terwelp and her child, and Travis and Ashley Oshner and their minor child.
The motion for the temporary restraining order asks to allow the children of the three families to “continue their in-person education upon the premises of the district until such time as an order of quarantine might issue against the children.” The motion for the preliminary injunction would allow the children of the plaintiffs to immediately “resume their in-person education unless the (Adams) County Health Department or the Illinois Department of Health has provided defendants with a lawful order of quarantine.” […]
Oshner wrote on his Facebook page that “QHS kicked (his son) out of lunch for his mesh mask” on Aug. 20.
* In other news…
* ISBE rejects Anna-Jonesboro’s request to use COVID relief money on football turf