* AARP has filed a few lawsuits over assisted living nursing home facilities, but this is the first time they’ve gone after a nursing home company. And it’s the first time the group has asked for injunctive relief. From a media advisory…
AARP Foundation, Chicago Law Firms and Equip for Equality Announce Class Action Lawsuit Against Alden Nursing Facilities Accusing the Nursing Care Chain of Putting Profits Over Resident Care and Lying About it to State Regulators
Class Action suit seeks a court order to protect residents from Alden’s neglect and harm due to chronic, intentional and dangerous understaffing that violates the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act and the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act.
WHAT: Attorneys from AARP Foundation, Equip for Equality, Levin & Perconti, and Hughes Socol Piers Resnick & Dym, Ltd. will host a press conference today to announce residents of six area nursing facilities filed a class action lawsuit against the Alden Group, one of the largest health care providers for older adults in Illinois. The complaint alleges Alden attracts thousands of residents to its facilities, and then systematically understaffs those facilities, leading to neglect, preventable injuries and illnesses, and dangerous and often grossly unsanitary living conditions for the residents. According to the complaint, Alden saves millions of dollars each year by refusing to hire sufficient staff to comply with legal staffing requirements and then intentionally hides it from state regulators. This class action will also send a strong message to other nursing homes and assisted living facilities that they too will be held accountable for intentional understaffing,
They will also announce how people can contact them if they suspect abuse and short staffing is going on at Alden Nursing facilities and others as well.
WHEN: Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 10 a.m. CDT
WHERE: AARP Illinois, 222 N. LaSalle St., Chicago, IL, 60601
• Kelly Bagby, Vice President, AARP Foundation Litigation
• Steven Levin,Founder and Sr. Partner, Levin & Perconti
• Charlie Wysong,Partner, Hughes Socol Piers Resnick & Dym
• Barry C. Taylor,Vice President for Civil Rights and Systemic Litigation, Equip for Equality
• Philippe Largent, State Director, AARP Illinois
ALDEN FACILITIES NAMED IN THE COMPLAINT( MORE THAN 1400 RESIDENTS AT THE SIX FACILITIES)
• Alden Heather Health Care Center, 15600 S. Honore, Harvey
• Alden Town Manor Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 120 W. Ogden, Cicero
• Alden Terrace of McHenry County Rehabilitation Center, 803 Royal Drive, McHenry,
• Alden Village North, 7464 N. Sheridan Road, Chicago
• Alden Lakeland Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 820 W. Lawrence Avenue, Chicago
• Alden Princeton Rehabilitation and Health Care Center, 255 W. 69th Street, Chicago
The full press release is here. The complaint is here.