|
McCarthy has more specifics about what he told Emanuel about the Laquan McDonald shooting and when
Tuesday, Dec 12, 2017 - Posted by Rich Miller * Former Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy was on WVON again this morning. He was asked once again about what, exactly he told Mayor Rahm Emanuel after the Laquan McDonald shooting and when, exactly he told Emanuel. There was just a bit of vagueness about the timeline the other day, so I (among others) asked interviewer Charles Thomas to clear it up today if he could. McCarthy claimed the morning after Laquan McDonald was shot by police that he had his usual morning phone call with Mayor Emanuel at 6 o’clock. McCarthy said he told Emanuel during the call that police had shot and killed a young man the night before. He said he explained to Emanuel that the man “had a knife, was acting erratically and had stabbed some police car tires.” He said he didn’t remember Emanuel’s response. “We didn’t have anything at that point that indicated there was a problem,” McCarthy explained. Two days after the shooting, McCarthy said he received a briefing about the shooting and watched the police video. “After the briefing, I spoke to the mayor and told him that this officer is going to have a problem articulating what happened. He may be able to do it because there was a knife involved.” McCarthy was asked specifically if he told this to the mayor two days after the shooting. He said it was. McCarthy said he doesn’t remember if he told the mayor that McDonald had been shot 16 times. “I may have, but I definitely told him the officer is going to have a problem. I don’t remember his response and I don’t remember exactly what was said, but I do know that I told him there is a video of this and the officer is going to have a problem.” * To refresh your memory, this is from a December 8, 2015 Paris Schutz interview of Mayor Rahm Emanuel…
|
|
Rauner releases new digital ad “Nightmare for Illinois”
Tuesday, Dec 12, 2017 - Posted by Rich Miller * Press release…
* Rate it…
|
|
Lynn Sweet nails it on the Durbin-Duckworth endorsement of Pritzker
Tuesday, Dec 12, 2017 - Posted by Rich Miller * I finally got around to listening to Bill Cameron’s latest “Connected to Chicago” show…
Take some time to read what Sweet said. She’s a DC type, so she may not be up on every little twist and turn in Illinois, but what she says about the Senators is from her own work and she’s right. Durbin and Duckworth wanted the Democratic hopefuls to show them that they were “real” candidates who could put together “real” campaigns before making any endorsements. Their requirements included spending a lot of time throughout the state meeting with people, opening offices, hiring field staff, putting together a solid messaging team, etc. Pritzker courted them hard. And it worked out in the end. * Related…
|
| « NEWER POSTS | PREVIOUS POSTS » |








