*** UPDATED x4 - Hutchinson slams fellow Senators *** Napoleon Harris dropping out of the 2nd CD race

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013

* From a media advisory…

Senator Napoleon Harris, Robin Kelly to hold joint press conference to make campaign announcement

Today State Senator Napoleon Harris and former State Representative Robin Kelly will hold a joint press conference to make a major campaign announcement.

Who: Senator Napoleon Harris and former State Representative Robin Kelly

When: Today, January 30 at 2:30 pm

Where: Offices of Adelstein/Liston, 222 West Ontario Street Suite 600, Chicago, Il

Stay tuned.

*** UPDATE 1 *** Confirmed.

*** UPDATE 2 *** Check out the harsh rhetoric in the response from Sen. Toi Hutchinson’s campaign…

Vlad Gutman, campaign manager for Toi Hutchinson’s campaign for Congress, today made the following statement on Robin Kelly’s endorsements over the last two days:

“While pretending to be an advocate for gun safety reform, Robin Kelly yesterday accepted the endorsement of someone facing a felony gun charge. And today, after claiming to be a progressive supporter of women’s rights, she accepted the endorsement of Senator Napoleon Harris, one of the Democratic Party’s most deeply conservative voices. Senator Harris is on record as anti-choice, anti-marriage equality, against the Equal Rights Amendment, and in favor of voter ID laws. Anyone who values these rights needs to question whether Robin Kelly can be trusted to stand up for them in Washington.”

Keep in mind that both Donne Trotter and Napoleon Harris are fellow state Senators. She’d better win now.

*** UPDATE 3 *** From Robin Kelly’s campaign…

Today I was honored to stand with my friend, State Senator Napoleon Harris, and accept his endorsement of my candidacy. Senator Harris is a great leader for the community and I deeply respect his commitment to public service. At the press conference we held, Napoleon showed his commitment to our community in the following statement:

“Even though I am ending my bid for Congress today, I am still committed to fighting for the same causes that led me to enter this race,” Harris said. “I believe we need to fight for more educational opportunity, better jobs and to get guns out of the hands of criminals and gangs that are preying on our neighborhoods. I believe Robin Kelly is the right candidate to pick up that cause to fight for the people of Chicago and the Southland.”

I am honored to have his endorsement, and look forward to a long partnership together, working to stop gun violence and get dangerous weapons off our streets. The voters of the second district deserve someone in Congress who they can trust to stand with President Obama to take on the NRA.

*** UPDATE 4 *** From a press release…

Harris ends Congressional bid, endorses Kelly

Chicago, Il—- Today, state Senator Napoleon Harris ended his bid for Congress and endorsed the candidacy of Robin Kelly.

“Senator Harris is a great leader for the community and I deeply respect his commitment to public service. That’s why I am so honored to have his endorsement today,” Kelly said. “My campaign for Congress continues to build momentum every day because voters are responding to my five-point pledge to stop gun violence and get dangerous weapons off our streets. The voters of the second district deserve someone in Congress who they can trust to stand with President Obama to take on the NRA.

“While some of my opponents have A ratings with the NRA, I couldn’t be more proud of my F rating and it’s that record that I will take to Congress to fight for the families across Chicago and the Southland,” Kelly added.

1. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 1:07 pm:

Harris should go to Springfield and go to work with his new colleagues in the Illinois Senate.

Harris will be better served, at this point, to be the best state Senator he can be, and down the raod, there may be opportunities far greater for him to consider.

“The best way to get a promotion is to do your current job, best.”

Always has been good advice.

2. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 1:17 pm:

Harris to drop out and endorse Kelly? Did the Obama-Axelrod-Rahm-Alexi side make a better offer to one of them?

3. - Mittuns - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 1:23 pm:

I know these differences were inevitable in the primary, but is it a good idea for a big chunk of the caucus to be divided and take sides on this with such a number of key issues/votes on the horizon?

4. - Because I said so... - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 1:23 pm:

Harris didn’t seem to be putting much work into the campaign. Dropping out was the smart move for him.

5. - bored now - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 1:24 pm:

so robin kelly has the endorsements of the two candidates who have (so far) dropped out of the race.

and robin kelly has the endorsements of the four state senators who have population in the 2nd CD (outside of the 40th).

things that make you go hmmm…

6. - Snucka - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 1:40 pm:

Interesting. I have given the edge to Toi up to this point, but Kelly could be emerging as the favorite. This is a heavily suburban district, and while I am not sure how strong the Rich Township organization is, they are behind Kelly. Bloom is behind Toi, so again it comes down to who can win Thornton. I’m sure Zuccarelli’s phone is blowing up right now.

7. - Ron Burgundy - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 1:45 pm:

Agree with Willy. Was awfully presumptuous for Harris to jump in this race without having served in the position he just won in November at all.

8. - Amalia - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 1:59 pm:

Harris had, in my view, bad things to say about marriage equality. good he’s gone.

9. - Kwark - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:19 pm:

—Things that make you go hmm—
    What does Toni Preckwinkle’s endorsement of Hutchinson say about Kelly’s skills and character? Toni should be in an excellent position to take Kelly’s measure. That’s what makes me go hmmm…

10. - anonymus - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:20 pm:

The Senate Black caucus isn’t divided. Just about everyone in the caucus who has had the pleasure of working with Toi Hutchinson is supporting Kelly

-I know these differences were inevitable in the primary, but is it a -good idea for a big chunk of the caucus to be divided and take — -sides on this with such a number of key issues/votes on the - -horizon?

11. - bored now - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

i’m telling you, bridges are burning…

12. - Dan Bureaucrat - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

Mittuns: I agree. I know you have to fight to win the seat, but an equally important fight is keeping everyone focused on the legislative and budgetary priorities that these candidates already agree on and that their districts desperately need.

13. - Will Caskey - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:28 pm:

Harsh rhetoric apparently = “looking up Napoleon’s IVI-IPO questionnaire” :/

14. - Responsa - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:30 pm:

I think the three most prominent candidates for the seat and their backers (as well as team Toni) all need to step back and realize that this race is starting is give off the vibe of a catfight rather than a serious professional congressional campaign. It’s not reassuring, it’s not becoming, and it’s not good optics.

15. - 2nd CD Voter - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:31 pm:

Interesting I beleive that makes every state senator with constituents in the 2nd congressional district has endorsed Kelly.
    Toi’s over the top reaction is telling!!

16. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:33 pm:

so Toi’s researcher is posting Napoleon’s questionnaires on this site? any chance he’ll post Toi’s NRA questionnaire?

17. - bored now - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:35 pm:

i sorta think it’s funny that robin kelly is being criticized for uniting all the different factions in the 2nd CD behind her. i wonder why…

18. - Horseface McGoo - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:36 pm:

Anon 1:17, what on God’s green earth is giving you the idea that Obama, Rahm or Axelrod are even remotely involved with Robin Kelly’s campaign?

19. - Stones - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:37 pm:

It’s a 3 person race. Very difficult to predict! I think it will be Debbie by a nose.

20. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:43 pm:

Sen. Cullerton, do you remember the duck and cover drill they used to teach us in case of nuclear war? You might want to brush up on that.

21. - ChicagoModerate - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:48 pm:

She’d better win now?… Why should she be on the defense when her collegues are the ones who backed her opponent? Not to mention one of them hasn’t even passed a bill!

22. - OneMan - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:48 pm:

Wow,
    you really want to motivate the endorsers, I hope so because congratulations you just did it.

Can’t speak to Harris, but having met Trotter a couple of times, I don’t know if you want his charisma and personality working against you.

Rich is correct, you better win.

23. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:51 pm:

===Why should she be on the defense when her collegues are the ones who backed her opponent?===

Who said anything about being on defense? The point is, she’d better win because there’s prolly gonna be heck to pay in the Senate if she doesn’t.

24. - OneMan - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:53 pm:

Yeah I really liked it when your campaign pointed out I was facing a gun felony..

said no elected official to another ever…

25. - Will Caskey - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:58 pm:

Anonymous 2:33- I typically only respond to requests from people paying me money, unless the request is especially hilarious.

In this case I am just reiterating that this is all stuff that is documented and verified, as opposed to, say, Debbie Halvorson’s press releases.

26. - Horseface McGoo - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:58 pm:

So we’re past Kelly’s slap at Preckwinkle…water under the bridge what, 36 hours later. But this is a game changing moment? Sounds like we’re all a little starved for drama.

27. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 2:59 pm:

word, excellent. Are those Senate desks big enough to hide under?

28. - OneMan - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:05 pm:

So we’re past Kelly’s slap at Preckwinkle

Kelly isn’t a county commissioner. It’s a bit different when it is folks in your own party in your own ‘venue’ as it were.

29. - ChicagoModerate - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:09 pm:

I mean I get it. Everyone on here including Rich thinks Trotter is so smooth, witty and daper. But facts are facts. The man brought a gun to an airport. I have a bunch of mailers on my table that say Robin Kelly will pledge to fight for gun control and against the NRA. She made it THEE issue in this campaign. Then she is endorsed by an elected official (which makes it so much worse) that breaks the very laws that she is calling for… I think she should definetly point it out. We’ve seen time and time again that you have to be careful who endorses you. I think Toi is a rising leader in the Senate, so I don’t know how much “heck” she will have to pay.

30. - LincolnLounger - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:11 pm:

Perhaps a dumb question, but does this prevent Napoleon Harris’ name being printed on the ballot? Not familiar with the timeline.

31. - Been There - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:11 pm:

===I think the three most prominent candidates for the seat===
    I said this before but I think Anthony Beale could be the sleeper in this race especially if the cat fight continues and they leave him out of it. I don’t really know him or much about his ward organization but if he has one then turnout is the key. I know his ward is only about 5% of the weighted vote but if he can make inroads into the other city wards he can sneak in.

32. - One to the Dome - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

Not really a game changer since Harris was polling mid to low at about the same as Kelly. It will help her in parts of Thornton that she mayhave not gotten..Toi still has higher name ID

33. - OneMan - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:19 pm:

But facts are facts. The man brought a gun to an airport.

I suspect that is not a huge issue with a host of voters, may not like that, but it is what it is.

The value in these endorsements be them Trotter, or whomever is their ability to get their folks to go work for the candidate. I would think that the Trotter attacks will in part motivate the Trotter folks to go out and work.

Also think about a different part of your statement for a second…

veryone on here including Rich thinks Trotter is so smooth, witty and daper

Perhaps people think that for a reason and that is why, myself included (a suburban Republican) is willing to give Trotter the benefit of the doubt on the airport thing. I suspect people in his area are doing the same. Also if a collection of folks who are either insiders or watch politics with a focus few others do seem to have a higher opinion about him, doesn’t that also speak to the radical idea that it might not be best to attack him too hard.

34. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:34 pm:

She better win is right. Yikes. A “scorched earth” way I guess.

Cullerton and the rest of the Caucus… wouldn’t want to be Toi if she has to slink back to the Il Senate.

35. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:44 pm:

Toi needs to stop playing around.

36. - hold on - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:47 pm:

So it’s a cat fight because it’s women, right? If opposing male candidates argue, call each other names, dismiss their opponents endorsements, is that unbecoming and unprofessional?

37. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:48 pm:

===It’s one thing to want to win. It’s another to embarass your peers and disrespect them so blatantly just for endorsing an opponent.===

You would think Toi’s Crew would not want to go so harshly, due in part if she wins, she may get primaried again in less than a year, and if Toi loses, I doubt the fence mending will be easy, and again, with long memories, Toi may face a primary challenge for her senate seat, if not to beat her, but to harass her for elections to come.

38. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:48 pm:

By the way Toi, say hi to Napoleon for us on his first day, will you?

Maybe a nice fruit basket and some flowers too?

You know, since your working relationship is getting off to such a rousing start and all.

39. - OneMan - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:50 pm:

Isn’t that hypocritical?

Yep, totally…

It is also the way it is..

Also in an ideal political world, we wouldn’t have the need to go after endorsers.

40. - Anon - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:51 pm:

“But I also have been on plently of campaigns we’re the elected official did not out rightly endorse but rather provided support by way of workers, mailers, etc.,”

Am I alone in thinking that Trotter pressed Kelly to make the endorsement public?

41. - pardon - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:53 pm:

this is the most entertaining race we have has in a while, thanks jjj

42. - Bill L - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:55 pm:

Toi has higher name recognition? I just don’t see that. Kelly was a Rep long before Hutchinson was a Senator, and Kelly ran state-wide. Who is familiar with Hutchinson outside of the 40th?

43. - ChicagoModerate - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 3:58 pm:

That’s exactly my thinking Anon. His standard arrogance.

44. - Been There - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:00 pm:

===it’s a cat fight because it’s women, right? If opposing male candidates argue, call each other names, dismiss their opponents endorsements, is that unbecoming and unprofessional?===
    Yes it is. While you are correct that calling it a cat fight is politically incorrect, it is an easy way to point out that, unfortunately, gender and race still play a role in the way we vote. But its hard to argue that it is not a major factor to a lot of voters.

45. - Amalia - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:02 pm:

Robin and Toi better keep their eyes on the punch coming from the right.

46. - SoxSouthsider - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:10 pm:

I hope Beale pulls off the upset and brings a casino to the south suburbs!

47. - Bill F. - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:23 pm:

“By the way Toi, say hi to Napoleon for us on his first day, will you?”

The new GA started three weeks ago. Harris has already had his first day.

48. - Snucka - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:24 pm:

Maybe Kelly/Toi/Debbie beat each other up in the suburbs and Beale carves a path to victory in the city? He should have strong support in his ward and the 34th. So many ways this could go.

49. - Jaded - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:40 pm:

“she’d better win now”
    Yea, I guess so, but these guys/gals don’t all get along down here. Toi has the support of several caucus members, and they might all be saying “why aren’t you supporting a fellow caucus member”. I’m not sure about the “heck to pay” comment either, because it’s not like she went after Cullerton. In fact the Senate Dem Caucus, has long been infamous for their inter-caucus dust ups. Trotter might be able to extract some revenge, but I’m not sure what a freshman Senator will be able to do to her.

I agree she was pretty harsh, but…politics ain’t beanbag.

50. - Jaded - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:41 pm:

Sorry, “intra-caucus” not “inter-caucus”

51. - Will Caskey - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:44 pm:

On a strictly personal note entirely unrelated to my clientele: Grow up, the lot of you.

This election is no nastier or more personal than the previous Chicago special in IL-5, all of which candidates get along just fine now.

Primary fights just seem nasty because the candidates agree on almost everything and as such have less to fight about. So the points of contrast are much louder and sharper.

The end.

52. - Just The Way It Is One - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 4:53 pm:

Harris needs how to learn how to be an Il. SENator first. Beyond that, man is this thing starting to get ugly–punches and counter-punching going on with quite a ways to go! And as more than one Commenter has noted above, it IS lookin’ like a 3-horse race at this point. And the winner may end-up being determined by whoever in that bunch can get some of the less-likely victors to drop out, get them to publicly announce such support like Napoleon did today, and then work for her…

53. - Snucka - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 5:25 pm:

Agreed that this is not going to matter the day after the election. Toi has attacked a freshman senator and a guy who won’t be a senator anymore after his felony conviction. Not a big deal.

54. - WizzardOfOzzie - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 5:45 pm:

Yeah, Toi definitely better win. I just don’t see anyone raising enough money to get their message out and erase a 10 pt lead in the next month. Toi and Robin can keep feuding but every poll has had Halvorsen ahead.

Toi is ruining what was a bright career in Springfield for minimal if no gain. What difference does Napleon Harris make? Just leave it alone. That’s really bad advice from her campaign manager.

And I just looked up Vlad Gutman because I’d never heard of him. Uh, he ran Matt Goetten’s campaign that lost to the good Dr. David Gill despite full support from Durbin. Not a particularly impressive choice.

55. - WizzardOfOzzie - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 5:54 pm:

Will,

You’re totally wrong. This is much nastier than the 5th Congressional race. Was John Fritchey blasting Julie Hamos and Susana Mendoza for supporting Sara? No, because he had to go back and work with them. And he’s not dumb.

These attacks on your colleagues because they endorsed someone else is short sighted and really dumb. I thought Toi was a lot smarter than that.

This is unusually personal and nothing like the 5th Congressional race.

56. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 5:58 pm:

===The end.===

lol… There more than the end to this race. It’s not over, till we say its over!

Was it over when …well, y’all know the rest.

57. - Will Caskey - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 6:20 pm:

WizardofOzzie:

1) Quigley based most of his campaign on walloping Fritchey and Feigenholtz over ties to Todd Stroger, including- get this- endorsing him.

2) Hamos/Mendoza were pro-choice, pro-gay women endorsing someone of similar if not identical perspective. By contrast Napoleon Harris is demonstrably anti-gay, anti-choice, anti-EQUALITY, and inexplicably, pro-voter ID.

You see how one of these things is unremarkable while the other…isn’t, right?

58. - bored now - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 7:59 pm:

sorry, will, WAY off base here. not a single candidate in the 5th had promised people they wouldn’t run for congress. not one of the 5th candidates attended a strategy meeting for another candidate before jumping into the race. and not one of them touted a special relationship with another candidate before deciding to run against them. it didn’t *have* to be personal, but, well, one of them (you know who) made it that way.

but, then, you were paid to say otherwise, right?

59. - Will Caskey - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 8:17 pm:

bored now- I have no earthly idea what you are talking about. Who meets with whom promising what is not typically my specialty unless it shows up in public records?

60. - bored now - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 8:37 pm:

point taken. the fact is that this race is dramatically different from the special election in the 5th, for a variety of reasons…

61. - Will Caskey - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 10:01 pm:

If you say so. I mean, we’re not really talking the same language. I come in, look things up, fact check the scripts and releases and see what happens. Which in that sense, yes IL-5 was the exact same routine of Democrats yelling at each other to somewhat amusing effect that this current show is.

If you want to bring up things like people promising each other their eternal not-running or endorsements or whatever I’ve gotta stop you right there on grounds of not caring in the slightest.

62. - WizzardOfOzzie - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 11:33 pm:

Will,

Your original point was that this election is “no nastier or more personal” than the 5th. Your wrong. And if you don’t realize that because you’re just “fact checking the scripts” then don’t tell people here to grow up who are actually paying attention to the race.

Your holier than thou commentary is generally annoying. However, it’s especially annoying when it’s totally wrong and you don’t offer anything to back it up.

63. - bored now - Thursday, Jan 31, 13 @ 6:30 am:

no, wizzard, will’s just throwing in the towel. he made a statement, had it corrected and couldn’t come up with a link to prove that he was right.

his *client* wants to believe that everything will be hunky-dory (sp?) after this is all over because she knows that she’s stepped over people’s lines. in general, i would have said the same thing if i hadn’t run into people at the inaugural who kept saying otherwise. bridges are burning. bridges are burned. not a big deal, per se, but it is apparently *very* personal for people…

* Afternoon updates
* Hospitals back removal of income tax sunsets
* The other strategy
* *** UPDATED 1x *** Quinn onboard; Rauner latches onto term limits proposal
* Because Illinois is a real battleground state
* Quinn dodges Rahm question on "Morning Joe"
* Morning Shorts

* Hulu Plus app now casts to PS3, PS4, Xbox One
        * Sony brings Lifelog, SmartBand fitness apps to non-Sony Androids
        * What will become of Google+?
        * Calling all filmmakers: Do you have what it takes to create Nokia’s next video?
        * Hidden WP8.1 USB settings uncovered with Bing’s help
        * Our favourite 5 new Windows Phone apps of the week
        * Apple, Samsung bicker over jury verdict form

* Is net neutrality dying? Has the FCC killed it? What comes next? Here’s what you need to know
        * iPod Ad Impressions Are Actually Higher Than BlackBerry And Windows Phone Devices
        * Facebook Acquires Company Behind “Moves” Fitness And Activity Tracker App
        * The Feeling Skin Is An iPhone Battery Case And More
        * Google+ Isn't Dead, It's Just Overexposed
        * Mobile Payments Are An Area Of Interest To Apple, According To Tim Cook
        * Mac Pro Shipping Estimates Are Improving

* Detroit Tigers 7, Chicago White Sox 4: Scherzer Stops Sox
        * Quintana solid, but drops finale in Detroit
        * Johnson starts homestand opener vs. Rays
        * Quintana solid, but drops finale in Detroit
        * Walks working against the White Sox' plans for the bullpen
        * Viciedo maturing at the plate
        * Beckham returns, thrust into starting lineup