Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Quinn considering banning gun shows on public property
Quinn considering banning gun shows on public property

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013

* Late last week, the governor considered halting a big gun show/sale at the Illinois State Fairgrounds. He didn’t end up doing anything.

I went to the show on Saturday. The place was packed. Some booths were so crowded that I couldn’t even see the guns that vendors had for sale. I ran into a Chicago state legislator at the show, his first such event. He marveled at the crowd. It’s quite possible that all Quinn did last week was drive turnout even higher. Who knew that Pat Quinn could be such a friend to gun dealers?

* Quinn is now looking at other options

Gov. Pat Quinn on Tuesday said he is looking into a possible ban on gun shows held on publicly owned property

“We are talking to the lawyers about that,” Quinn said in response to a reporter’s question after a four-hour summit on school safety at the Springfield office of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.

Last week, Quinn and other Illinois Democrats called for a statewide ban on assault weapons. Yet, some of these very guns were on sale Saturday at a gun show at the state-owned Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield.

There were some mean looking weapons at that show, but most of the stuff looked pretty ordinary to my relatively untrained eye. The most sought-after weapons appeared to be pistols, perhaps in anticipation of the federal order requiring Illinois to come up with a concealed carry permit system.

The governor doesn’t like guns. So, it would not be surprising if he went through with this sales ban idea. But maybe he ought to go see one of these shows for himself and talk to some of the average folks who attend them before making up his mind.

* Meanwhile, the pro-gunners held a rally last weekend at the Statehouse

Among the many speakers Saturday was state Sen. Sam McCann, R-Carlinville.

McCann said owning a gun was a right and not a privilege that could be revoked. McCann told the crowd he planned to propose a constitutional amendment to appear on the ballot that would make Illinois the strongest gun rights state in the nation.

McCann was just posing for the crowd and his proposal is going nowhere. And he really wouldn’t want gang members convicted of violent crimes to lose the right to own a gun? Really?

* The SJ-R posted some video from the event. One quote from a speaker…

Um, what would Jesus shoot?

1. - He Makes Ryan Look Like a Saint - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:28 pm:

Well is he going to terminate the leases of the gun shops in Sparta? The state owns that land? Basically anything that produces revenue the Governor is against.

2. - Lester Holt's Mustache - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:31 pm:

=Um, what would Jesus shoot?=

Romans?

3. - iThink - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:33 pm:

===“I am a gun-toting, God-fearing, Bible-reading Christian, let’s make that clear.”===

Can we stop confounding every issue with your religion?
    The repubs might gain a lot of new votes should they ever distance themselves from the science-hating, bible-thumping evangelicals.

4. - Hank - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:35 pm:

He didn’t end up doing anything.
    How typical Quinn. No matter what the issue.

5. - Cheryl44 - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:35 pm:

I don’t see the point of not producing revenue at the state fair grounds.

And I’m a liberal.

6. - Dirty Red - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:38 pm:

I imagine this will come up again in a less than favorable way for PQ. My friends that show animals at the State Fair still rant about the “gosh darn Chicago Democrats” (That’s the censored version, of course) parking their buses in lots that used to be for animal trailers. That actually hasn’t happened since RRB, but they still carry that grudge. I imagine we’ll be hearing about this one for a while, too.

By the way, if “What would Jesus shoot?” isn’t on a T-shirt by the end of the day I am going to be supremely disappointed.

7. - OneMan - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:44 pm:

Would this just be state property or all public property?

Gonna jerk over some fairgrounds if it is all public property.

8. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:47 pm:

===But maybe he ought to go see one of these shows for himself and talk to some of the average folks who attend them before making up his mind===

My impression of Quinn is someone who makes up his mind without benefit of input from outside sources. He is the great wise father of Illinos - the benevolent ruler. He knows all and sees all.

Who could get him to start seeking opinions, advice or commentary now?

9. - Cincinnatus - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:53 pm:

There’s a joint that will adapt an “assault” rifle to make it conform to NYC gun laws. $35 grip replacement.

10. - Judgment Day - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 12:55 pm:

There appears to be a real role reversal going on here…

On guns, the Republicans are coming across as strongly ‘Pro Choice’ (advocating fewer restrictions), while the Democratic leadership is taking a strongly ‘Pro Life’ (advocating substantial restrictions) position.

Could lead to some interesting political dynamics, there.

For example, could see how this could assist Pat Brady in his dealings with the conservative wing of the Republican party.

11. - PQ's Primary Opponent - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:00 pm:

maybe he will lose the 3×5 card that says “cancel gun shows at Fairgrounds”!!!!

12. - c'mon - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:02 pm:

It’s amazing how this guy tries to parlay every crisis into a major reform and fails miserably before moving to the next crisis. I’m shocked there wasn’t video of him somewhere dancing “Gangnam Style” to bring in the new year. Anymore I’m not worried what he says, it won’t matter.

13. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:14 pm:

Cincy,

3D printers have been shown to be able to “print” fully functioning high capacity magazines. The technology is ahead of the legislation.

14. - Irish - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:24 pm:

I wonder how many other MSM folks have taken the initiative to become more informed as Rich has done. ( Sorry Rich didn’t mean to insinuate you were MSM) This is what makes this the best site for these types of discussion. The host tries to see every side of an argument and is usually knowledgeable about both sides. Thank you Rich for that.

I find myself flabbergasted at things that this Governor does. I would think that by this time he would have learned to take the time to get input and/or knowledge about a subject before he goes off half-cocked. One of the above posters mentioned the World Shooting Complex at Sparta. Does the governor even know that place exists? Does he know how many millions of dollars were pumped into that site for the sole purpose of shooting guns? Does he know that many of the big gun manufacturing companies have leases/contracts that they had to committ to before they were given a building at that complex? (I would think he would know that about the site since several appointees have positions at that site and several have gone through there on their way to other things.) So now he will make it illegal for those manufacturers to sell guns at that site. I would think that those manufacturers would have something to say about that.

Those pesky contract things they keep getting in the way, don’t they?

15. - Ahoy! - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:32 pm:

“what would Jesus shoot?”

That’s hilarious, we need to make bracelets for people to wear.

16. - Geez - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:49 pm:

Even when the Gov is measured, he gets criticized. Unbelievable.

17. - Kubrick - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:50 pm:

Shouldn’t the question be “Who would Jesus shoot?”. After all guns are not designed to shoot inanimate objects, they are designed to shoot people and animals.

18. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:52 pm:

===Even when the Gov is measured, he gets criticized. Unbelievable.===

Yeah. Isn’t it just terrible?

I assume that since you’re using an IP blocker from Russia that you are not a disinterested party. Do that again and you’re gonna be deleted.

19. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:53 pm:

I’m all in favor of guns shows. I think their policies on loaded weapons should be adopted in all public events and venues.

20. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:54 pm:

===After all guns are not designed to shoot inanimate objects, they are designed to shoot people and animals.===

Not necessarily. They’re designed to propel a projectile at very high speeds.

21. - Geez - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 1:56 pm:

Truthfully, Rich, I’m using an iPhone right here in Sfld. Not sure what the Russian thing is about.

22. - Kubrick - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:00 pm:

Perhaps, Rich, but their economic benefit is not derived by shooting cans out in a field. My point being change that ‘what’ to a ‘who’ and it makes a pretty big difference, doesn’t it?

23. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:05 pm:

===but their economic benefit is not derived by shooting cans out in a field.===

Tell that to people who own target shooting ranges.

Look, you make a point. I hear you. Get your own blog if you want to ask that question.

24. - How Ironic - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:11 pm:

What would Jesus shoot?

Duh…a Colt Peacemaker.

25. - Irish - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:13 pm:

I have probably shot more rounds plinking than I ever did hunting. Our town used to be surrounded by acres and acres of clay hills left from mining. The city dump was on several acres of this property. My cousin and I would spend weekends out there with our .22s plinking at cans, and shooting rats. Shot way more cans than rats. The rounds I wasted on cans was probably the reason I didn’t waste rounds when we hunted.

26. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:23 pm:

Hey Rich, Jesus didn’t have to shoot. He had other means with which to work His will.

27. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:25 pm:

=== I’m all in favor of guns shows. I think their policies on loaded weapons should be adopted in all public events and venues ===

Could you define “public venues”?

28. - Irish - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:30 pm:

What would Jesus shoot? The Judge
    At? False idols.

29. - Rod - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:31 pm:

It is good to see that Rich attended the gun show and I suspect other journalists were there too. I hope Rich noticed at this show a book titled “Build Your Own AR-15 Rifle.” It should be noted that all the parts for building a copy of the AR-15 from a semi-auto .223 that is not considered to be an assault rifle more than likely could have been purchased at the show or as always on the internet.

Regardless of one’s perspective on an assault weapons ban one should realize the validity of the NRA’s point on the ban which is the difference between a .223 assault rifle and a .223 semi-auto hunting rifle is just a few parts and a book. As to the point on 3d printing of larger capacity clips made by dupage dan, the AR-15 magazine design is available on the internet right now. While there are durability issues related to using plastic magazines clearly they will work for a while.

The Governor’s proposed ban on gun shows on state owned public property is really playing to the gun control crowd which he believes to be part of his base of support. It is normal politics. No point in getting aggravated over Governor Quinn in relation to this issue.

By the way Rich did you see any exploding Squeezy the pension Python targets at the show I sure would like to get one. Yes I had to get Squeezy into the gun debate, he seems to show up everywhere.

30. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:45 pm:

–I’m wonder if the public events/venues you refer to would have the heavy presence of firearms right next to ammunition and magazines that are present at a gun show. The comparison is curious. –

You tell me.

I’ve been reading for years that many of these gun massacres in public venues would not have occurred if everyone had loaded weapons.

Yet at gun shows, no one has a loaded weapon. For safety reasons.

Curious, indeed.

31. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 2:46 pm:

===Yet at gun shows, no one has a loaded weapon. For safety reasons.===

Not always: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/five-accidental-shootings-at-gun-shows-mark-gun?ref=fpa

32. - Enemy of the State - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 3:04 pm:

I agree with How Ironic on the Colt Peacemaker.

For a rifle, He would us an AK-47, the preferred long arm of young men from the Middle East.

33. - USMCJanitor - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 3:13 pm:

I think the Gov and his lawyers should check out the Nordyke case in the 9th circuit and how after years in court they eventually had to settle. They knew which way the wind was blowing.

Wordslinger–
    Your little cute, snarky remarks dont answer the question. Then you get snarky about “gun safety” rules at a gun show. That has been answered for you several times, yet you repeat it here over and over just to seem superior. It weakens your argument and shows that you ignore any logic or explanation for a safety rule THAT WE GUN PEOPLE PUT IN PLACE…

BUT since you dont understand or choose to ignore the responses before. I will respond to your silly, snarky remark again. Why are there rules for unloaded guns at a gun show?

***
    Often this is also done because the county/state property the event is held on is deemed “public” like a government building and it is LAW. So the show posts it at the doors and in the website and flyers to make sure they comply.

Sometimes, it is a private property held event and its in the contract (the property owner requires it). This is often negotiated during the contract phase and is something they asked for not always the gun show mgmt.

If a show determines that it wants to say “no loaded weapons” its because you are now in an area where casual handling is taken place. This is VERY common at shooting ranges. Your weapons (when not on the “line”) need to be unloaded. Everyone around you expects that. You only load the weapon at the line.

Finally, lots of times this has to do with insurance for the show. The shows are commercial entities and insurance providers (not to mention the people you rent the facility from) will ask for this.

34. - What is to be done? - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 3:18 pm:

Since most gun shows are on public property, how long after the govenor’s ban would company’s like Rock River Arms in Colona Illinois move out and take there AR-15 factory with them?

35. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 3:19 pm:

word,

You are still dodging the question. And comparing apples to oranges. While that might be amusing to you, it is boring. I will have to assume you don’t want to discuss the matter but would rather throw out drive by lines and bumper sticker slogans. That is not typical of you so I remain curious.

36. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 3:36 pm:

–Could you define “public venues”?–

DD, is this the question I’m allegedly dodging?

Off the top of my head, I’d define public venues as common areas outside the home where people congregate for any number of purposes.

Apples and oranges? How so?

I’m sorry that I bore you, but I assure you I have no problem discussing the issue.

37. - Endangered Moderate Species - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 3:58 pm:

Many of our County Fairgrounds receive State funding. They are also popular venues during the winter months for hunting, sport and gun shows. Are County fairgrounds considered public or private properties? They typically are not under County government jurisdiction.

38. - Leave a Light on George - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 4:14 pm:

We get your sarcasm. Now move along.

39. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 4:42 pm:

–Word, you made your point the last time on tis topic. Many, including me disagreed with you.

We get your sarcasm. Now move along.–

No one can bring a loaded gun into a public gun show, for safety reasons.

Where’s the sarcasm?

40. - WazUp - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 4:54 pm:

41. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 5:04 pm:

–Quinn’s new revenue proposal: Ban gun shows from public property and start selling marijuana on public property.–

I don’t think Quinn has said anything about marijuana, but I think your idea is great.

Can you imagine, in Illinois, how much money could be generated by growing weed? Getting farmers off the federal corn and bean dole?

Might put the gangster armies on our southern border out of business, too.

They, legally, brew bourbon in Kentucky and whiskey in Tennessee — but the biggest cash crops are still weed.

Who’s holding back legalization of marijuana? Whatever opposition there is could be knocked over with a feather.

42. - Skirmisher - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 5:12 pm:

I saw some proposed legislation earlier this week that would ban firearms on “public” property or on property funded or partly funded by “public funds”. That can’t go anywhere. Public is rather too much a reach, as it would include, for instance, federal forest land over which the state has obviously no jurisdiction, and county and local properties. More foolish stuff from very foolish persons.

That gun show was a whopping big success, thanks largely to the efforts of Mr. Quinn and Mr. Obama.

43. - Leave a Light on George - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 5:39 pm:

=But the same folks who run those shows think the world is safer if everyone can pack a loaded gun in the public square.=

No they don’t. They don’t support felons having weapons. They don’t support mentally ill people having weapons. They don’t support criminals having weapons. They don’t support untrained people having weapons.

They do support law abiding citizens exercising their second amendments rights. And before you get off on the” well regulated militia… “Our courts have pretty much decided what that means.

44. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 5:56 pm:

George, you folks don’t want legally armed folks at gun shows.

But you want anyone who is legally armed at the movies, the mall, on the street, etc.

You deal with the hypocrisy. I know the difference between s– and Shinola.

And believe me, I won’t talk about the history of the 2nd Amendment, because you don’t want to hear it.

But, for just a taste: Justice Burger, appointed by Pres. Nixon, called the NRAs position “a fraud, I repeat, fraud…”

These Minnesota Republicans……

45. - Leave a Light on George - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 6:14 pm:

=George, you folks don’t want legally armed folks at gun shows.=

My God you are thick headed on this one.

US FOLKs don’t want accidental discharges to take place at gun shows. An event where guns will be CASUALLY handled in a crowded area - that’s all.

And yes I know there were accidental discharges at other gun shows this past weekend.

I sincerely hope you never need a gun to defend yourself or a loved one. But if you do find yourself in a bad spot throw your dictionary at them. If you hit them it’s probably heavy enough to hurt them bad!

46. - SO IL M - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 6:25 pm:

wordslinger, you know better than this. It has been explained to you before that at any place where firearms are handled and passed between people that basic safety rules apply. Number one is to only handle an unloaded weapon. And the weapon should be checked by more than one person to be sure it is safe.

And do you really want to talk about the history of the 2nd Ammendment? The fact that the NRA was founded in 1871 by retired Union Generals? The fact that one of their main goals was to make sure freed blacks could own firearms while Democrats tried to keep them from owning firearms? Do you really want to talk about the real history of who has supported gun rights for ALL law abiding Citizens, and who has attempted to disarm citizens? Is that the history you speak of?

47. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 7:04 pm:

–And do you really want to talk about the history of the 2nd Ammendment? –

–The fact that the NRA was founded in 1871 by retired Union Generals?–

True, but the NRA changed after the Cinccinati Coup of 1977. Todd, am I right? You wouldn’t bust your hump for the boys before then, am I right?

– The fact that one of their main goals was to make sure freed blacks could own firearms while Democrats tried to keep them from owning firearms? –

True, the Radical Republican vision. It has no relevance in 2013.

–Do you really want to talk about the real history of who has supported gun rights for ALL law abiding Citizens, and who has attempted to disarm citizens? Is that the history you speak of?–

48. - Todd - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 9:05 pm:

I was 13 in 1977. learing to shoot at a boy scout camp. . .

49. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 9:22 pm:

Todd, lol.

But you know what I’m talking about.

Hope you enjoyed Vegas, brother.

50. - Small Town Liberal - Wednesday, Jan 23, 13 @ 10:41 pm:

- An event where guns will be CASUALLY handled in a crowded area - that’s all. -

Here’s what I don’t get, if you’re carrying a gun for personal protection, why would you be getting it out and casually handling it?

If it’s so important to carry in public places, couldn’t you restrain yourself from passing it around and just enjoy the guns at the show?

51. - dupage dan - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 8:48 am:

It’s easy to talk about the gun show example but it hardly generalizes to the public square, does it? In the gun show arena, if no one has a loaded weapon, everyone is safer. The idea that you can then extrapolate that to the outside world is illogical. Remember folks, bad guys don’t follow the rules in the outside world. You can control that in an enclosed subset but not in the wide open world. That is a major point of the idea of CC laws.

So, unless you have a realistic plan to remove from reality all firearms from every corner of the country, your comparison of the gun show to the world is just plain silly.

* Rauner vetoes DHFS managed care performance audit bill as part of another big Friday dump
* Rauner vetoes Geolocation Privacy Protection Act
* Rauner plans three bond sales
* Caption contest!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - HB40 update
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - More candidate announcements
* Logrolling?
* Ricketts' Wrigleyville rooftops benefit from "mom and pop" tax break
* It would've been a very tough campaign for Lisa Madigan
* Legislative move shines light on antiquated law
* Chicago FOP wants halt to new use of force policy
* GOP turkey shoot event image with Madigan's visage pulled down
* Drury could benefit from contribution cap loophole
* *** UPDATED x1 - ILGOP responds *** Report: Madigan pushing back against pop tax
* Poshard backs Pritzker

* Governor Rauner at 3rd Annual Governor's Ride -.....
* Dick Butkus, YouTube co-founder among Lincoln A.....
* Editorial: Illinois cannot afford to wait for e.....
* Governor's summit a great idea, unfulfilled - Q.....

* EXCHANGE: Woman creates balms, teas with plants from garden
* EXCHANGE: Creator of makeup line had paper route at one time
* Gary shooting leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt, car falling 23 feet
* Authorities: Skeletal remains belong to missing boy, 13
* Evidence of invasive grass carp signals threat to Lake Erie
* Deputy shot; stopped vehicle sought after 2 police chases
* Deputy shot; stopped vehicle sought after 2 police chases
* Bat found near Kankakee church tests positive for rabies
* Dick Butkus, YouTube co-founder among Lincoln Award honorees
* War hero, WIU 'Leathernecks' legend, honored with statue

* Abortion bill is hot potato for Gov. Rauner
* New Illinois law will let adults earn high school diplomas
* Raoul enters AG race, apologizes for 'Miss America' comment
* AG candidate Raoul apologizes for 'bad characterization' of opponent
* Report: Payments for treatment of addictions, mental illness often denied
* Republican McClure will run against McCann in 50th Senate district
* Republican McClure will run against McCann in the 50th Senate district
* Rep. Drury leaves governor's race to run for attorney general
* Rauner signs revamp of EDGE business tax-credit
* Rauner to lawmakers: Help me balance the budget

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* How Tock aims to get bigger piece of the restaurant reservations market
* Guess where manufacturing jobs are back?
* Downtown becoming one big candy shop
* Time for Preckwinkle & Co. to answer questions on soda tax

* Man wounded in Near West Side shooting
* Police: Man found shot to death in Lawndale
* Police warn of catalytic converter thefts in Lincoln Park
* Man wounded in Woodlawn shooting
* Man shot in Bridgeport
* Suspect injured in crash during Eisenhower police chase
* White Sox lefty Carlos Rodon won’t rule out surgery on shoulder
* Opportunistic Notre Dame rolls past Michigan State 38-18
* Dear Abby: Babysit my kids instead of partying with me, parents told
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Sept. 24, 2017

* Right-wing firebrand plans UC Berkeley rally, even with 'Free Speech Week' events canceled
* New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes a jittery Mexico, topples already damaged homes
* U.S. flies mission north of DMZ in show of military force to North Korea
* Opportunistic Notre Dame handles Michigan State 38-18
* Jose Abreu reaches rare milestone for White Sox in 8-2 loss to Royals
* Loyola's John Lynch intercepts two passes, continuing strong season
* Trump's comments about NFL protests, NBA's Curry inflame sports stars
* A's catcher Bruce Maxwell first MLB player to kneel for the national anthem
* Wade Davis blows first save of season in Cubs' 10-inning loss to Brewers
* Cubs squander late leads against Brewers as made-for-October showdown continues

» State Week: IL Attorney General Candidates, The Soda Tax, and Courting Amazon
» State Week: IL Attorney General Candidates, The Soda Tax and Courting Amazon
» Governor Running Out Of Time On Location Tracking Regulation
» In Cook County, 3 Prosecutors Are Handling Hundreds Of Wrongful Conviction Claims
» An Accounting For Meteorological Violence Among Insurers
» Illinois Supreme Court Upholds Murder Conviction Of Drew Peterson
» State Sen Raoul To Run For Illinois Attorney General In 2018
» Suit: Pregnant Illinois Officer Forced To Take Unpaid Leave
» Palestinian Activist To Be Deported To Jordan From Chicago
» Looking For Analog: Old Button-Mashing Arcades Come Back For A New Generation

* Angie Muhs: New content coming to Sunday SJ-R
* Our View: Path to health care reform is bipartisan compromise
* Statehouse Insider: Illinois finances not the worst? Believe it or not.
* State employees, retirees have opportunity for giving
* Citizens weigh in on the community
* Abortion bill is hot potato for Gov. Rauner
* Bernard Schoenburg: Sen. McCann takes on Cellini in tiff with Bruner
* Guest Column: Let’s help Illinois get back on track with 'College Changes Everything' month
* Guest Column: Let’s help Illinois get Bback on track with 'College Changes Everything' month
* New Illinois law will let adults earn high school diplomas

* MARK-TO-MARKET: The hidden pulse behind the U.S. labor market
* Wineries sprout up in Central Illinois
* Birth Announcements
* Betty June Clover Pendleton
* Natalie Ritter Rottet
* David L. Sprague
* Henry Mitchell
* Anthony 'Tony' DiGiovanni
* Gary W. Culpepper Sr.
* Kevin 'Cookie' Cook

* Maxwell kneels for anthem, Davis belts 40th as A's top Texas
* NHL officials cracking down on penalties
* Oakland's Maxwell first MLB player to kneel during anthem
* Gubrud throws for 549 yards, sparks EWU over Montana 48-41
* Wade blows first save of season in Cubs' 4-3 loss to Brewers

* Rep. Randy Hultgren announces 2017 Congres...
* Congressman Randy Hultgren Visits Raue Cen...
* Hultgren pushes for CHIP funding ahead of ...
* Hultgren Comments on CAT Closure, Hurrican...
* Indivisible billboard targets Hultgren, Ro...
* Montgomery mayor hosts health care forum a...
* Good government - The Daily Progress
* Hultgren pleads for continued funding of f...
* What suburban members of Congress say abou...
* Naperville's Lauren Underwood to run for R...

* Durbin, Duckworth ask President Trump to c......

* Durbin, Duckworth ask President Trump to c......

* Last Outdoor Movie In The Park At Buttercup Park On Saturday, September 30th
* Ora Oral Surgery Opens Its Uptown Branch On Monday
* Join Buena Park Neighbors Invites You to A Family Puppet Show and Clean & Green
* EXTRA: Rauner "gettin' his kicks" down Route 66; or at least a part of it
* Why Self-Esteem Is Self-Defeating
* Trump-supporting mayor's home vandalized with swastikas and resignation demands
* Higher cigarette taxes are fueling the illicit trade in non-brand cigarettes—and possibly terrorism
* Illinois Left panics over Graham-Cassidy; ignores state's shrinking insurer numbers
* Higher minimum wages means less sanitary restaurants
* Cook County grocers say they're losing sales up to 47 percent over soda tax

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Pioneer Working to Resolve iOS 11 Compatibility Issue With Select Receivers
* How to Force Restart or Hard Reset the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
* Chronicles of a Windows user gone iPhone (part 3)
* Folding Galaxy X (SM-G888) seen at Korean regulator
* Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have arrived! (Video)
* Qualcomm loses two battles in patent war with Apple