Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Friday, Apr 4, 2014

* Bruce Rauner scored just 17 percent of Sangamon County Republican primary votes last month. He has slammed Republicans who work with public employee unions as “corrupt,” which would include all three of the GOP legislators who represent Springfield, which is chock full of state employees. Sen. Kirk Dillard, who was backed by those unions, won the county with a whopping 62 percent of the vote.

But Rauner will soon travel to the belly of the beast, so to speak

GOP gubernatorial nominee Bruce Rauner will speak at a Sangamon County Republican Foundation event in Springfield on April 8.

Rosemarie Long, who chairs the county Republican Party, said the first-ever recognition evening for major supporters of the foundation will be at the Sangamo Club. Drinda O’Connor is treasurer of the foundation, which provides support to local Republican efforts.

Bill Cellini was the foundation’s former chairman, and stepped down as its treasurer in 2012.

* The Question: What will Bruce Rauner say to Sangamon County Republicans? Snark is heavily encouraged, of course. Have fun.

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:30 am:

“Would you believe it’s the guy next to you I don’t like and not you?”

2. - Walker - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:32 am:

“Pay no attention to what I have said for the last two weeks. You know I didn’t really mean it.”

3. - Walker - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:33 am:

“And pay no attention to what I said three months ago, if that upset you. I’ve evolved.”

4. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:34 am:

Tony Montana meets Ivaranchin Montana.

“I was kidding. I WAS ONLY KIDDING!”

5. - MrGrassroots - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:38 am:

He might throw himself at the mercy of the Republican Party. In his best Jimmy Swaggart voice, looking skyward (tears are helpful, but not a dealbreaker), “I have sinned against you my fellow Republicans and I would ask for your precious vote.”

Thinking for a moment and remembering his upbringing: “Please.”

6. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:38 am:

Greetings CaptiolFax Commentators…

7. - bottom rung. - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:42 am:

Have you met my wife?

8. - olddog - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:43 am:

‘Who are you?’ said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, ‘I — I hardly know, sir, just at present — at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.’

‘What do you mean by that?’ said the Caterpillar sternly. ‘Explain yourself!’

‘I can’t explain myself, I’m afraid, sir’ said Alice, ‘because I’m not myself, you see.’

‘I don’t see,’ said the Caterpillar.

‘I’m afraid I can’t put it more clearly,’ Alice replied very politely, ‘for I can’t understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.’

9. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:51 am:

“I’m reminded today of a quote from that great former Sangamon County resident John L. Lewis: ‘Let the workers organize. Let the toilers assemble. Let their crystallized voice proclaim their injustices and demand their privileges. Let all thoughtful citizens sustain them, for the future of Labor is the future of America.’”

10. - Exhausted - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:52 am:

That’s the greedy union bosses in Springfield Missouri I was referring to, not you wonderful, intelligent, hardworking Sprinfield Illinois union bosses!!! Ho, Ho, Ho, what a mistake that was….

11. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:53 am:

“And in conclusion, allow me to quote that great Illinoisan Mother Jones: ‘If they want to hang me, let them. And on the scaffold I will shout Freedom for the working class!’”

12. - Red Ranger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:57 am:

“Hey, remember when you guys mattered and were relevant? Wasn’t that nice? Why don’t you get over your hurt feelings, work for me and once again you will get to give your mope brother-in-law a DOT job holding a road sign for $85,000 a year. OK? Good talk.”

13. - Exhausted - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:58 am:

I shall call this the Malaysia Airlines flight path course correction….a hard left turn I believe is in order!!!

14. - Wensicia - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

“I’m so proud to be running for a public employee position! I truly admire and support everything public employees do for this state’s citizens!! Anybody got a AFSCME t-shirt? I’ll trade you my Carhartt jacket, as I don’t need it anymore.”

15. - Pre - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

“If you like the union you’re in now, you can keep that union.”

16. - WhoKnew - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

I’ve often called my office the Indigestion Section of the Belly of the Beast!

What’s the Over/Under on different shades the Chameleon will change into today?

17. - NW Illinois Dem - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:04 pm:

“My biggest concern, ladies and gentleman of the Sangamon County GOP, is that Lake Springfield is not deep enough to handle all of the yachts I’ll be bringing down from Winnetka. I may have to use personal funds to dredge that lake.”

18. - PoolGuy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:07 pm:

if you guys would have voted for Brady in bigger numbers four years ago, I might not be here right now. so thank you for not voting for that guy and vote for me. i won’t cut state workers pay and pensions. I promise. I just say that to keep my rich billionaire friends in Chicago happy. ok so we’re good now? thanks. wow that wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

19. - Ron Burgundy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Greetings Peons! I will be brief. It’s either four more years of Pat Quinn, or me. Get back to me when you think it over. Peace out. *revs Harley*

20. - Newsclown - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:12 pm:

Rauner will re-create that scene from the Batman Movie where Joker burns all the mob’s money, as a way to tell them he doesn’t give a flip what they want or think. The again, like the Joker, he’ll go on to try and cause as much damage, chaos, and anarchy as he can… just because. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkkfuSizc4

21. - Carl Nyberg - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:13 pm:

Friends, parasites, Illinois employees, lend me your votes
    I come to bury pensions, not to praise them
    The evil that men do lives after them
    The good can’t raise enough money to get elected
    So let it be with Pat Quinn.

22. - RNUG - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:13 pm:

“I hope Rich Miller isn’t in the audience recording this …”

23. - Hit or Miss - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:20 pm:

“I would like to thank everyone here tonight who voted for me in the primary.”

24. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:23 pm:

Well it’s either me or Pat Quinn there sparky….

Simple as that…

25. - Sage - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:28 pm:

You’ve earned every bit of food on your plate tonight, but there will be no breakfast in the morning.

26. - Sage - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:31 pm:

Meet my mascot, Quinnocchio.

27. - Commonsense in Illinois - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:33 pm:

“So this is Springfield…and you’re all Republicans….and you have all your teeth…

28. - Almost The Weekend - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:40 pm:

You see this $18 watch I bought to look folksy on the campaign trail. I want to thank you for it because I used the money I made off all your pensions to buy this $18 watch and fund my campaign for governor.

29. - Smoggie - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:43 pm:

Did I said that? Sure I did.

But I was running in a PRIMARY.
    Everybody says crazy stuff during a primary.
    Heck, I would have called for an invasion of Iowa if I though it get me three more points.

So now that we’ve finished with that bit of unpleasantness, let’s talk about the real Bruce Rauner.

Now, where’s that sledgehammer? And the watch. And the Democrat wife. And the guy in the weird costume.

DAMMIT, I NEED MY PROPS! I CAN’T TELL YOU ABOUT THE REAL BRUCE RAUNER UNLESS I HAVE MY * * * * PROPS!

30. - Norseman - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:43 pm:

I wasn’t talking about you guys. I was thinking about Bart’s Springfield.

31. - Goonhammer - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

I’m sorry, but I think Bruce has the personality, charisma, and people skills to make those people like him and not only that the papers to like him too.

Smart move by the Rauner campaign, I am sick of candidates always reinforcing their base votes. Chase those minuses! and stabilize the rest. Paint this map red!

32. - Sangamo Sam - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

What’s my plan? I’m glad you asked: I’ll drive them nuts.

That’s it! Real simple, just like my understanding of how our state government works. I’ll be a nuts-driving dynamo. Remember that nut in the pistachio ads, the one that drove everyone nuts? Rank. Amateur.

A vote for me is a vote for going nuts, and you can bank on it.

33. - PolPal56 - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:48 pm:

“Sorry to arrive late. We had to stop by the Executive Mansion to make a few measurements.”

34. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:07 pm:

“A spectre is haunting Springfield — the spectre of Republicanism….

“…. workers of Springfield, unite! You have nothing to lose but your horseshoes!”

“Too fast, too far, too soon? I don’t know, sometimes I disagree with myself….”

35. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:08 pm:

Let’s hope a majority of 16% have purchased tickets for this wonderful event.

36. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

Make that 17% above*

New entry:

Since we’re going to be neighbors soon, I’d like to start fresh.

37. - MrJM - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:14 pm:

“I never meant to ‘demonize’ you — I only intended to ‘vilify’ you.”

– MrJM

38. - unclesam - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:15 pm:

To borrow from Jack Nicholson: “Hubba, hubba, hubba…money, money, money…who do you trust?” (Batman, 1989)

39. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:22 pm:

I imagine he will stick to the script and remind Republicans of cuts impacting Central Illinois, the backlog of unpaid bills to nonprofits across the region, and juxtapose that with spending in Cook County, particularly the Neighborhood Recovery Stuff.

Probably close with something about how Quinn’s lies and mismanagement have undermined the public’s faith in state government and tarnished the reputation of the thousands of public servants serving our communities.

Team Quinn can see it coming from a mile off!

40. - DuPage Saint - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:26 pm:

First I am sure he will give props to the organizations founder Bill Cellini as a man who fought insider dealing his entire life, I am sure he will send him a carry out diner. Then more props to the future RTA Chairman Kirk (I worked for Edgar) Dillard who will put those pesky unions in place at the RTA, finally as a uniter and not a divider hew will hand out checks well over the minimum wage to all those in attendance.

41. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:32 pm:

“I’m here to drive you nuts. Are you nuts yet? Because that’s why I’m here. And to shake you up. I’m here to drive you nuts and shake you up. How am I doing? Is it working? Where’s my hammer?”

42. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

47th Ward takes a huge lead!

43. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

47, well played sir!

44. - Demoralized - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:14 pm:

“I’m good enough. I’m smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.”

45. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:30 pm:

thanks fellow gop`s for a meal of crow,sour grapes,and humble pie.i want to get to know everyone here personal.

46. - steve schnorf - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:35 pm:

Hello, I’m Bob Rauner. My brother Bruce has resigned from the ticket and appointed me to replace him. I’m here today to celebrate the Republican glory years of people like Jim Thompson, who signed our state’s first collective bargaining law for public employees, like Jim Edgar, who vowed to veto any right-to-work law that ever appeared on his desk,like Judy Barr Topinka, who has repeatedly demonstrated that an inclusive Republican candidate can win time after time. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

47. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

can i get a shoutout from the .01% here tonight.

48. - LincolnLounger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:00 pm:

“You is smart. You is kind. You is important.”

49. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:05 pm:

thanks voters it cost $47..a vote in the primary,everyone has a price,whats yours?

50. - Quizzical - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:09 pm:

My other grandparents were non-exempt PSA-6’s.

51. - Tough Guy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:31 pm:

Just like Elvis said “There’s a whole lotta shaking going on” , I’ll shake things up too! Oh wait a former governor whoa said that is currently in jail? Well ‘ Il’ll just shake it differently. Still no good? How about a group hug then?

52. - Roadiepig - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:37 pm:

“Who let all the common riffraff Republicans in here? I specifically said only my fellow .01% were allowed to bask in my glory! Smithers- release the hounds.”

53. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:39 pm:

“Leave the Cash, Take the Cannoli?”

54. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

hi folks we got this election in the bag,just like grandma is.

55. - kimocat - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:24 pm:

Hey, I know a lot of you guys aren’t even union members and that a whole bunch of Republican professionals really got hosed on pension reform. But lighten up, you were the ones stupid enough to work for state government. Smart guys go for the cash.

56. - Just The Way It Is One - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:27 pm:

“So, to summarize, in the end, come Election Day, we underSTAND that we’re ALL RePUBlicans here in Illinois, or, well–OK–it’s a Gotcha Moment by you Guys–’cuz I know you’re smart politically down here by the Capitol, as the meager 17% vote for me last March so aNNOYingly attests to and I just can’t try and BS you anymore, so, ok–YOU’RE all real Republicans, and, yeah, I’m NOT, I’M REALLY a dang Democrat in GOP CLOTHing–oK? But, ALso really, dontcha honestly wanta just, YOU know, ’shake things up down here in Springfield once–just ONCE Guys, so–ya know, you can let somebody like ME can then know how comPLETELY and utterly DOMINATING it’d feel to not ONLY be a freakin’ Billionaire and be rollin’ in globs of Greenbacks you guys couldn’t even DREAM about in your wildest dreams, but, cmon–just ONCE–so then I’d ALSO be able to know what it feels like to be like, well, yeah–like a KING, or even EMperor then–cuz electin’ ME would then ALso shower all ‘o that POWER on me, too!!

Oh my God,(if there is IS One, ‘cuz nobody really seems to KNOW what Religion I am, if any–but does that really matter anyway?), but, at least just to paraphrase for emphasis, My GOD, now that would be freakin’ unbeLIEVable–and aGAIN just to ‘fess up ‘cuz you Smartie-Pants Sangamon County types know the real score–is what I’m REALLY lookin’ to gain in all this, um…OOPS–that is–I mean humbly askin’ you to support me, that is, ‘cuz I really DO have genuine aspirations to, YA know, TRY’ ‘n pretend I could think and feel like you do, and relate to all you middle-class, run ‘o the mill folk–why’re ya’ll LOOKin’ at me like that, YA know, like I’m just bSIN’ you again, and givin’ ya some line just to get elected? I DO (chuckle, chuckle)–HONestly, I do–wanta try to figure out how to relate to you peons, I mean, I mean, middle-CLASSers as a truly Ultra-Rich Democrat in disguise, but, ya know–Republican for NOW just so I could get in–who, shucks, no offense but since I’m bein’ honest for once here, just didn’t know what to DO with himself anymore since I’ve got SO much Dough I could buy this very BUILDing I’m addressin’ you in 100 times OVER (chuckle, chuckle), so he just decided to lust for the freakin’ POWER of how just for the heck of it, how it must FEEL–even if ya REALLY don’t know to run a State like this or, heck, even really CARE how(!!)–just bein’ a GOVernor of a Major State to BOOT…!

57. - Mokenavince - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:34 pm:

It’s me the rich guy or Quinn, in you heart you know I’m smarter than him.

I can work with unions.

58. - Bemused - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:51 pm:

Sangamon County will be easy.
    Bruce steps up to the mic and says ” who do you want in charge of hiring at CMS, my people or Pats people”?

* Hastings circulating petitions for SoS and AG as Ald. Burnett declares he's not circulating
* Backlogged bills hit a new high this week
* "The overall news is good" about Asia trade trip
* Rate the Sen. Kwame Raoul AG campaign announcement video
* Raoul takes "full responsibility" for "bad" Erika Harold comment, Maze Jackson apologizes to listeners
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Durkin says he doesn't think Illinois "needs to give away the store" to snag Amazon
* Biss tries to explain the Ramirez-Rosa matter
* *** UPDATED x1 *** SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Legislative candidate announcements
* An argument against assisting the St. Louis Amazon bid
* Why did Lisa Madigan retire?
* Currency exchanges say they want higher fees to boost lagging profits
* DGA tour coverage roundup
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Illinois economy "stuck in neutral"
* The great exodus
* Rauner signs civil asset forfeiture reform bill
* Harold unveils long list of legislator endorsements

* Certain Regulatory Shackles Lifted from Nurses .....
* IDHS To Increase Eligibility For Child Care Ass.....
* Rauner Signs Asset Forfeiture Bill - Alton Dail.....

* Authorities: Illinois father killed sons, set house on fire
* Life term reduced for Illinois woman in 4-year-old's death

* Raoul enters AG race, apologizes for 'Miss America' comment
* AG candidate Raoul apologizes for 'bad characterization' of opponent
* Report: Payments for treatment of addictions, mental illness often denied
* Republican McClure will run against McCann in 50th Senate district
* Republican McClure will run against McCann in the 50th Senate district
* Rep. Drury leaves governor's race to run for attorney general
* Rauner signs revamp of EDGE business tax-credit
* Rauner to lawmakers: Help me balance the budget
* Bernard Schoenburg: Running mates help balance governor tickets
* Statehouse Insider: AFSCME contract suit may not be heard until next year

* Guggenheim's CEO said to seek control of insurer in shake-up
* Cook County Health to buy piece of struggling insurer's Medicaid biz
* State expects solid dividends from Asia trade trip
* As other guvs rail against Obamacare repeal, Rauner clears his throat
* How Graham-Cassidy would play out in Illinois

* Police investigate after car, garage struck by gunfire in Aurora
* Police: Person tried to abduct girl walking to school in Woodlawn
* 2 men critically hurt in Grand Crossing shooting
* Mexico quake rescuers struggle to free girl, other survivors
* Bigger and louder isn’t better for ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’
* Dear Abby: Co-workers laugh at my fear of blood
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Sept. 21, 2017
* 55-year-old woman from Nigeria missing from Mercy Hospital
* Parents of woman killed in 2015 crash on Kennedy Expressway sue driver
* CPD to outline new public safety reform training regimen

* Families, friends worry over Puerto Rico hurricane, Mexico City quake
* Bangladesh truck carrying Rohingya Muslim aid crashes; 9 die
* Maria destroys homes, triggers flooding in Puerto Rico, leaving island without power
* Google bites off big piece of HTC in $1.1B bet on devices
* Seoul to resume aid to North Korea but doesn't set date
* Mexico rescuers race to free girl, other survivors after quake that killed at least 230
* Jon Lester's woes hover over Cubs entering NL Central showdown in Milwaukee
* Jon Lester has lack-of-command performance as Rays knock him out, win 8-1
* SEC reveals 2016 hack of filing system that may have led to illegal trading
* Cubs, pesky Brewers set to face off again for four games at Wrigley North

» State Sen Raoul To Run For Illinois Attorney General In 2018
» Suit: Pregnant Illinois Officer Forced To Take Unpaid Leave
» Palestinian Activist To Be Deported To Jordan From Chicago
» Looking For Analog: Old Button-Mashing Arcades Come Back For A New Generation
» County In Illinois To Use Grant To Aid Endangered Bumblebee
» Canada Could Stop Dealing With Boeing Over Dispute
» Currency Exchanges Pushing Fee Increase
» 3 Big Takeaways On Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s Decision To Not Run For Reelection
» Judge: Sessions Can't Deny Grant Money For Sanctuary Cities
» State Week: Blagojevich Speaks; (Lisa) Madigan & Currie Leaving

* Our View: Diverse voices needed as Statehouse makeup poised to change
* Bernard Schoenburg: Democrats highlight Rauner's 'broken record'
* Kathleen Parker: The New Center seeks volunteers
* Raoul enters AG race, apologizes for 'Miss America' comment
* AG candidate Raoul apologizes for 'bad characterization' of opponent
* Report: Payments for treatment of addictions, mental illness often denied
* E.J. Dionne: The priority is still to save Obamacare
* Over DACA, an acute case of Trump panic syndrome
* Ralph Martire: Illinois needs to make higher education a priority
* Catherine Rampell: A chilling study shows college students hostile toward free speech

* Sarah J. Mitchell
* Donald Darnell

* Girls golf: Carmel tops Nazareth
* Psychiatrist: Naperville woman believed she was killing the devil
* Google bites off big piece of HTC in $1.1B bet on devices
* Girls volleyball: Fillies go to 4-1 in MSL West
* Boys soccer: St. Viator fights back for 2-2 tie

* Rep. Randy Hultgren announces 2017 Congres...
* Congressman Randy Hultgren Visits Raue Cen...
* Hultgren pushes for CHIP funding ahead of ...
* Indivisible billboard targets Hultgren, Ro...
* Good government - The Daily Progress
* Hultgren pleads for continued funding of f...
* Hultgren Welcomes United Kingdom Commitmen...
* 14th District Democratic candidates square...
* Montgomery mayor hosts health care forum a...
* What suburban members of Congress say abou...

* DuPage getting $390000 to fight opioid epi......
* DuPage getting $390000 to fight opioid epi......

* DuPage getting $390000 to fight opioid epi......
* DuPage getting $390000 to fight opioid epi......

* A Look At The First Day Of The New Main Wilson Station Entrance
* Retailers get defensive about pop prices
* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* Frappuccinos With The Fuzz! Macchiatos With The Man!
* EXTRA: Video blasts from Chgo past
* Illinois REALTORS® support Legacy Awards in Springfield
* 4 more ways for REALTORS® to stay safe and protect their customers
* Barrido fundraiser set for Wednesday, October 4 in River Forest
* CTA Video Of Wilson Station, Past and Present
* If Teachers Unions Are So Great, Why Aren’t Our Schools?

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Huawei Mate 10 Lite breaks cover in full, with a total of four cameras and a ‘FullView’ display
* What does Google’s partnership with HTC mean for you?
* Three-year-old Nexus Player officially gets Android Oreo after nasty-looking bug
* Analyst: iPhone X delayed as mass production has not even started yet
* Myst-Like Puzzle Game 'The Witness' Now Available From the App Store