* The list of Chicago candidate filings is here. Yesterday was the filing deadline. Greg Hinz has more…
Drawing a clear path to a new term, at a minimum of $106,558 a year (before extra stipends for committee chairs) were Ald. Marty Quinn, 13th; Ed Burke, 14th; Brendan Reilly, 42nd; and Harry Osterman, 48th. Ald. Patrick O’Connor, 40th, the mayor’s floor leader, drew just one opponent.
Burke, dean of the City Council, chairs the powerful Committee on Finance. Quinn comes from Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan’s home ward, and Reilly represents the bulk of the central district. Osterman is from Edgewater and is a close Emanuel ally.
At the other end of the spectrum: the South Side’s 7th Ward, where 16 foes filed to take on incumbent Natashia Holmes, and the Northwest Side’s 38th Ward, where nine candidates have filed, including Ald. Nick Sposato, who decided to move to this ward after his 36th Ward was pretty much dismembered in a remap three years ago. There are also 14 candidates in the West Side 24th Ward, and 12 in the neighboring 29th Ward.
Overall, however, the number of candidates for alderman is off by about a third at this point, with 252 filing this year compared to 351 last time, according to the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners.
Ald. Reilly reported around a million dollars cash on hand in his two accounts.
* The Sun-Times looks at the mayoral filings…
In all, 10 people filed to run for mayor, including incumbent Rahm Emanuel.
Seven of them filed on Monday, including Cook County Commissioner Jesus “Chuy” Garcia, who turned in more than 63,000 signatures. William “Dock” Walls was the last filer at 5 p.m., according to the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners.
“I believe the city is not heading into the right direction, and I’ve heard that from people all over the city of Chicago,” Garcia told reporters after filing. “The fact that we submitted the highest number of nominating petitions underscores the change people in the city’s neighborhoods would like to see Chicago take.”
Ald. Bob Fioretti (2nd) also turned in his petitions on Monday. His campaign brought in 55,523 nominating signatures. Fioretti made note of the financial battle facing him and every candidate going up against Emanuel, who has upward of $9 million in his campaign war chest.
Amid chants of “Chu-y, Chu-y,” Garcia took another jab at the mayor’s closing of 50 schools.
“That’s the difference between me and the present administration,” Garcia said Sunday. “We believe in opening schools up.”
Just Friday, Garcia blasted the mayor over the move, portraying the incumbent as a big-money “Washington insider” who lacks the “temperament” to “listen and engage” everyday Chicagoans.
A spokesman for Emanuel said Sunday the decision to close a school is “very difficult.”
“But we cannot shy away from difficult decisions to move Chicago forward, to keep the rising graduation rates, the longer school day, and the full-day kindergarten,” Steve Mayberry said. “Last week, Commissioner Garcia said he would have closed some schools. Today, he says he would open them. In neither case did he offer any specifics. Voters deserve detailed, thoughtful plans, not inconsistent rhetoric from the sidelines.”
Garcia said he believed his 63,000 signatures were “challenge-proof,” before saying he would campaign on reducing gangs and gun violence, hiring more police officers, improving schools, creating jobs, reducing the city’s deficit and addressing its looming unfunded pension obligations.
The Cook County commissioner, however, offered no specifics on how he’d achieve those improvements and would not take questions from reporters, even as they followed him through the Dunne Cook County office building, into the city’s underground pedway and through another nearby office building. […]
Emanuel had nearly $8.7 million in his campaign fund through the end of September and has raised at least $328,000 since then, according to state campaign finance records. Fioretti had $258,000 in his fund at the end of September and has raised about $52,000 since, records show. Garcia, a late entrant to the race, did not open a mayoral campaign fund until Nov. 6 and has collected $214,000 since, almost all of it from unions representing teachers and Chicago Transit Authority workers.
* And the lede of the day…
West Side aldermanic candidate Gabe Beukinga sent a series of accusatory and threatening emails to a major developer in his ward Friday. Monday, Beukinga, a Chicago businessman, says that while he regrets the emails he sent while he was drunk, he has decided to quit his day job to concentrate on his drinking relapse problem and to run for 27th Ward alderman.