Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » Question of the day
Question of the day

Friday, Feb 27, 2015

* Stu Ellis at the Decatur Herald and Review writes about Gov. Bruce Rauner’s proposed elimination of the $1.8 million funding line for agriculture education

The elimination of that line item in his proposed budget apparently was made because his staff could see no need for agricultural education, despite the recommendation by the State Board of Education that the line item be raised to $3 million in the next fiscal year. So called “shared sacrifice” might diminish $1.8 million by several thousand, but it should not lead to total elimination.

The $1.8 million line item stimulates over $11.8 million in net earnings of agriculture education students in their yearly, work-based learning and agri-science projects. It generates another $2.1 million in partial matches from a statewide partnership. It spawns $1.7. million in funds and volunteer hours generated for local school vocational-agriculture programs. It pays for curriculum development that is used by over 50 percent of vocational agriculture teachers nationally. And it provides a pipeline for students to enter agricultural careers.

Elimination of the funds would mean deterioration of the agriculture education network which provides the structure to one of the top vocational programs in the nation. Data collection of programs, teacher information and student achievement will be lost. Professional education opportunities for vocational-agriculture teachers would be eliminated. Program growth would stagnate and would no longer provide employees for an important part of the Illinois economy.

The loss of the agriculture education line item would eliminate $620,000 in incentive grants that go to 321 local agriculture programs taught by 381 teachers at the secondary level. That money provides local programs with funds to meet goals for success and continuation of their program. While a local vocational agriculture program may not close in a school district due to the loss of the incentive grants, it would negatively affect program quality and the number of programs would deteriorate and decline.

* This will have a big impact on local FFA programs

First-year Flanagan-Cornell FFA Advisor Jessica Collins has a reason to be nervous about the upcoming annual auction on March 7. That’s because Gov. Bruce Rauner recently submitted his proposal for the 2016 fiscal budget for Illinois.

Among the proposed budget cuts is the elimination of crucial agricultural education funding. When the Flanagan-Cornell FFA program says it relies on the success of these auctions to fund future activities, nothing could be more truthful.

* From the Twitters…

* The Question: Caption?

1. - Liberty - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:01 pm:

Rauner: Suckers! Don’t you love me anyway!

2. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:01 pm:

Rauner: Enjoy it. You guys are the last…

3. - Ghost - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:02 pm:

Rauner: we don’t need farms in the Midwest, let them eat cake.

4. - Precinct Captain - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:03 pm:

“Congratulations kids, I will hurt you and your family.”

5. - Excessively rabid - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:03 pm:

Want to see my champion bull?

6. - MrJM - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:07 pm:

“I believe agriculture is the backbone of this great state, but I also believe that Illinois should be an invertebrate.”

– MrJM

7. - Pot calling kettle - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:12 pm:

If you have an criticism, let me know. I’m very open to it. Now, I gotta go. Bye.

8. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:13 pm:

Rauner: If they had FFA at Payton Prep, I would have clouted my daughter in that too…

9. - girllawyer - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:13 pm:

The tweet of death.

10. - JoanP - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:13 pm:

“Would you kids mind explainin’ what a ‘farmer’ is?”

11. - AC - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:13 pm:

Their nervous smiles didn’t mask their fear knowing that posing with Rauner is one of the most dangerous things to do in Illinois. Not even years of being forced to wear warm coats in the hot and humid Illinois summers prepared them for this torturous moment.

12. - Give Me A Break - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:14 pm:

You know that proclamation carries about as much weight as my budget address did.

13. - Ducky LaMoore - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:14 pm:

“Sorry I can’t stay aggies, I gotta do a photo op with some kids on ventilators. Now, shut the camera’s off, and my deputy gov will tell you how it really is.”

14. - Anonymous - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:15 pm:

For gosh sakes, I think Agriculture in Illinois will survive this. If everything is sacred, where do you ever make any cuts?

15. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:15 pm:

Rauner: Next year, you guys will have a lot more free time…

16. - Blago's Hare - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:15 pm:

And this was the “good guy” at the Farm Bureau meeting the other day. More like the wolf in sheep’s clothing.

17. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:17 pm:

Rauner: Children, I care about you, spending money on you, not so much…

18. - Norseman - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:19 pm:

Governor Rauner poses with FFA students who brought him farm goodies. Meanwhile State Police reports that the Governor’s taste tester is doing fine after having his stomach pumped. Sour grapes is suspected.

19. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:20 pm:

Rauner: Too bad my wife isn’t advocstibg for you…

20. - FFA Illinois State Farmer - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:21 pm:

FFA and 4H are life changing organizations. Big mistake.

21. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:21 pm:

Rauner: I wouldn’t buy any more FFA gear…

22. - Amalia - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:21 pm:

smiling through the pain.

does the state fund agribusiness education groups? cause there is an agribusiness funded adult/career farmer group and they are always spending money on overseas trips, so hoping no state money goes to them!

23. - Bluefish - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:22 pm:

This Governor seems to have fewer neckties than our previous Governor.

24. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:25 pm:

Ms. Arduin, being shown the picture, turns to the Governor…

Ms. Arduin: FFA? Won’t see them no more.

25. - Rich Miller - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:26 pm:

Leave the funding, take the proclamation.

26. - AC - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:27 pm:

Rauner Looks To The Future: In sharp contrast with Blago who never missed a photo opportunity to exploit those who were victimized in the past, Rauner never misses a photo opportunity to exploit those he is about to victimize.

27. - Blago's Hare - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:27 pm:

Amalia,
    I think what you are referring to would be the IFB Young Leaders. They do take a lot of trips, but not on state funds.

28. - Wordslinger - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:27 pm:

While the unsuspecting future farmers smile for the cameras, the governor boosts the young mens’ wallets.

29. - PolPal56 - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:27 pm:

The Tributes from Districts Nine and Ten pose with President Rauner.

30. - Dirty Red - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:27 pm:

“I was going to take a page out of Gov. Thompson’s playbook, but I am told offering you kids free beer at the mansion wouldn’t go over so well this time.”

31. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:28 pm:

Rauner: FFA! Well, you guys had a heck of a run. Here’s a proclamation, let’s take a picture, then just leave the way you entered…

32. - Old Shepherd - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:29 pm:

“I really like those gold and white jackets you are wearing.”

33. - AC - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:29 pm:

Standin’ tall, spending small, takin’ money from them all

34. - Anonin' - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:29 pm:

We were told this was pay back for BVR suffering a $600K ag loss in 2013….he managed to treat those losses differently

35. - 47th Ward - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:30 pm:

FFA week? You guys must be the youngest air traffic controllers in Illinois.

36. - How Ironic - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:32 pm:

Rauner: “A wise old farmer told me the best way to check out a T-Bone is to stick my head up a bulls….” (nod to Tommy Boy)

37. - VanillaMan - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:34 pm:

Old McRauner Bought Our Farm - Traditional, enhanced by VanillaMan

Old McRauner Bought Our Farm
    E-I-E-I-O
    Then he sold off all the soy
    E-I-E-I-O
    Then he sold off all our corn
    E-I-E-I-O
    Then he sold off all our pumpkins
    E-I-E-I-O
    Then he sold off all our hay
    E-I-E-I-O
    Then he sold off all our apples
    E-I-E-I-O
    Then he shut down the FFA
    E-I-E-I-O
    Then he cut off all our grants
    E-I-E-I-O

With a Cut-Cut-here
    And a Cut-Cut-there
    Here a Cut
    There a Cut
    Everywhere a Cut-Cut

Now Illinois has one top crop
    Thanks to medicinal pot!

38. - How Ironic - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:35 pm:

Rauner: “FFA you say? Don’t you kids detassle corn? That’s what I’m doing. Detassling the state of illionois. Except I’m starting at the root, and tearing the whole plant out, just to make it easier.”

39. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:36 pm:

Rauner: I’m destroying FFA to help you. I’m doing it for all of you. Let’s take a picture…

40. - A guy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:36 pm:

Those uniforms are going to be worth a fortune on Ebay in a few years.

41. - Reformed Optimist - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:37 pm:

You kids wear your best Carhartt to shovel WHAT?!?

42. - Amalia - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:38 pm:

@Blago’s Hare, thanks, but no, not that. something like Ill. Ag Leaders. it’s an adults thing. probably just industry funded, but on the off chance they are funding anything educational for adults while they cut off the kids, just wondering.

43. - Soccermom - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:38 pm:

Did I forget to mention that the first F no longer stands for Future?

44. - How Ironic - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:39 pm:

Rauner:” No really…at this point I’m not sure who’s been shoveling more BS”

45. - Rich Miller - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:40 pm:

Soccermom takes a big early lead!!!

46. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:42 pm:

Rauner: you tell your parents, I still think farmers are the backbone of Illinois…k?

47. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:42 pm:

Future non-Rauner voters…

48. - paddyrollingstone - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:44 pm:

Chutzpah

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Chutzpah (disambiguation).

Chutzpah (/ˈhʊtspə/ or /ˈxʊtspə/[1][2]) is the quality of audacity, for good or for bad. The Yiddish word derives from the Hebrew word ḥutspâ (חֻצְפָּה), meaning “insolence”, “cheek” or “audacity”. The modern English usage of the word has taken on a broader meaning, having been popularized through vernacular use in film, literature, and television. The word is sometimes interpreted—particularly in business parlance—as meaning the amount of courage, mettle or ardor that an individual has.[citation needed] However in more traditional usage, chutzpah has a negative connotation.

49. - Anonymous - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:47 pm:

Just remember. If you go legal on me, we’ll hurt you and your farm animals.

50. - Mittuns - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:48 pm:

Rauner poses with the runner-ups for the 95th House District appointment.

51. - Wordslinger - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:48 pm:

Soccermom, think that’s game. No mas here.

52. - Rich Miller - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:49 pm:

Mittuns pulls into a close second place!

53. - Tommydanger - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:51 pm:

“You can always use the jackets for your new career as an Andy Frain usher.”

54. - Mittuns - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:51 pm:

The Rauner Photobomb — come for the Instagrams, stay for the budget cuts.

55. - Jorge - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 2:58 pm:

I am the ovenor. After this photo I will require you to empty your pockets so I can reallocate your lunch money into my blind trust.

56. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:02 pm:

Geez, the bar is high today.

Rauner: No, no, don’t tell them I’m cutting funding until after the picture.

57. - Enviro - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:04 pm:

If you control agriculture you control the future.

58. - A Jack - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:09 pm:

Rauner: I am going to put more money in your pocket: No more FFA dues.

59. - Tough Guy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:10 pm:

Rauner introducing new FFA acronym. Forget Funding Agriculture.

60. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:11 pm:

Gov. Rauner blocks out all day today to take pictures and give out proclamations to groups and organizations that won’t be around after this July.

Along with the proclamations, each person left with a $25 gift card.

61. - Anonymous - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:11 pm:

I’ll put back the money for ag education if you all quit wearing those blue jackets and wear Carnharts instead - and make your new acronym, FFR - Farmers For Rauner.

62. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:12 pm:

Rauner: Kids. It’s not you. It’s me.

63. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:14 pm:

Rauner: I’m makin’ tough choices. I don’t choose you.

64. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:16 pm:

Rauner: Kids, look, it’s a club. A club. I mean, it’s not like you’re going to grow up and BE farmers…let’s take a picture

65. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:18 pm:

Rauner: Kids, think bake sales. Lots of them. You’re welcome.

66. - Nearly Normal - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:19 pm:

Does the cut eliminate the Chicago High Schooll for Agricultural Sciences? They have an amazing curriculum and prove that ag education is more than plows, cows, and sows! Maybe Rahman should invite the gov to visit.

67. - The Dude Abides - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:26 pm:

@soccermom LOL

68. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:31 pm:

Rauner: I would say hope to see you guys next year, but what’s the point?

69. - Bin Buster - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:31 pm:

Help me get those bad legislators to vote for my budget cuts, and I’ll find a way to restore your funding.
    And don’t forget to bring my lunch basket on Ag Day.

70. - Lakefront Liberal - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:33 pm:

Rauner: These kids are from a farm? Hope they were de-loused before this photo op!

71. - Anonymous - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:37 pm:

Happy feet dance winners

72. - Pot calling kettle - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 3:59 pm:

“If you guys hadn’t shown up, I’d still be in that cabinet meeting.”

73. - Pot calling kettle - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 4:01 pm:

This office doesn’t look like Downton Abbey, and you don’t look like Congressman Schock!

74. - Amalia - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 4:03 pm:

Governor Rauner planting seeds of irony.

75. - Stones - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 4:07 pm:

If any of you are a size 46L I have a gently used Carhartt in the closet that you are welcome to keep.

76. - Saluki09 - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 4:29 pm:

Future Farmers? Oh man, I thought you were with the Future Financiers…

77. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 4:47 pm:

Rauner: In four years, you’ll forget I defunded your club.

78. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 27, 15 @ 4:48 pm:

Rauner: My Grampa was a dairy farmer. Yep, deep roots in agriculture. Now look at me. Ole farm boy, now governor.

* Rauner issues executive order barring legislators from representing clients at PTAB
* Kennedy: Limit top progressive income tax rate to less than 6 percent
* Next week's House session cancelled
* *** UPDATED x2 - Pritzker "Did Chris Kennedy Just Endorse Bruce Rauner?" - Kennedy campaign tries to explain *** Kennedy says Rauner "should be applauded" for "trying to do what he thinks is best for the state of Illinois"
* Sen. Donne Trotter retires
* Illinois payrolls were up just 0.5 percent last year
* Vitriol continues in Durkin's primary race
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Judge clears courtroom in Rauner lawsuit hearing
* You can't "fully inform" voters without money
* State agrees to a $400 million consent decree
* Rate Prizker's new online ad
* Rauner gets another property tax press pop
* Emanuel pokes Rauner over Amazon comments
* Rauner's new Pritzker ad cost just $11,900
* Kennedy unveils health care plan
* Gov. Rauner gets his own blog

* Tom Kacich: Biss, Rauner piling up local endors.....
* Editorial: Illinois taxpayers deserve to know h.....
* Census 2020: High stakes for Illinois..
* Ralph Martire: ISBE’s provocative funding request..
* Gov. Bruce Rauner visits annual Algonquin/Lake .....
* All Kids Audit..
* Tom Kacich: Biss, Rauner piling up local endors.....
* Commentary: Abortion law a moral, financial bur.....

* EXCHANGE: Basketball bookends Vietnam veteran's story
* EXCHANGE: Brown's Chicken murders changed business forever
* Thousands protest Trump at Illinois women's marches
* $1.9M in Mellon Foundation grants aid UIC humanities studies
* The Latest: Thousands protest Trump at Illinois marches
* Schools test approach that lets students learn at own pace
* Chicago police shoot man officers say was attacking woman
* Metra fares, service cuts coming in February
* EXCHANGE: Few shelters from cold for suburban homeless
* EXCHANGE: Cannery now handles weddings instead of pumpkins

* Rauner order bars lawmakers from property-tax appeals
* Outdoor sports participants hoping for larger cut in farm bill
* U of I trustees approve 4th-straight tuition freeze
* Rauner to air extended ad of Pritzker, Blagojevich on wiretap
* Mendoza to keynote Women's March Saturday in Springfield
* Chicago mayor vows to step up Amazon second headquarters bid
* Under the Dome Podcast: More Blago-Pritzker talk, Rauner confirms Duke is racist
* U of I withdrew 35 job offers after background checks
* Frerichs: Can't get tax break for using college savings plan on private K-12 tuition
* Illinois governor to air extended ad of rival, Blagojevich on wiretap

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* What you need to know about the L.A. Times 'frat-boy executive' scandal
* Law firms' 2018 resolution: Less paper
* Could this company become Chicago's own Salesforce?
* Manufacturers discover marketing

* Man stabbed in face and neck in University Village
* LETTERS: More support needed for early English learning students
* Will janitorial contract and Trump get swept up in McCarthy’s mayoral plans?
* 4-year-old girl missing from West Garfield Park deemed ‘high risk’
* Jordan urges Pence to ‘rebuild trust’ after Jerusalem pivot
* Sun-Times/WBBM Religion Roundup: Results mixed on testing of Morton Grove relics
* Man shot while driving on Northwest Side
* Man shot, another man stabbed at Far South Side party
* Turkish troops attack Kurdish enclave in northern Syria
* Tracking path of the 2018 Farm Bill: Chances and meanings in this political year

* North Korean girl band leader heads delegation to South
* Mick Mulvaney finds himself in middle of another shutdown
* LINDA C. BLACK HOROSCOPES for 1/21/18
* Lauri Markkanen slams highlight Bulls' 113-97 win over Hawks
* Turkish troops attack Kurdish enclave in northern Syria
* A weekend of finger-pointing as Democrats, GOP try to dodge blame for shutdown
* Around the world — and near Trump's home — women march in show of political force
* 'SNL' revisits Trump’s cognitive test results and asks, ‘How broke that brain?’
* After 21 years, inmate who says he was abused by police goes free
* Founder of Crate & Barrel says goodbye to the Michigan Avenue flagship store he built

» Chicago Schools Chief: Cost A Driver In Special Ed Overhaul
» One Year Later, Women’s March Demands More Than Attendance
» State Week: Education Funding, Pritzker-Blagojevich, Rauner-Duke
» Sheriff Offers To Help Review Police Shootings In Suburban Cook County
» A Prescription For Fruits And Veggies: One Solution To Food Insecurity in Illinois
» A Call For Transparency

* UIS Perspectives: Public affairs internships lead to success
* Petty, Davidsmeyer both decry anti-Petty calls
* Ed Rogers: High stakes for Trump at the World Economic Forum
* Scott Reeder: Formula for political success is to listen to voters
* Rauner order bars lawmakers from property-tax appeals
* Outdoor sports participants hoping for larger cut in farm bill

* Warrensburg-Latham community rallies around couple with cancer
* Woman killed in wrong-way crash on I-64
* Annual Truthseekers' concert returns to Marion
* Families have small window to apply for Illinois private school scholarships
* PFOP: ‘New’ Bloomington High opened in 1959
* MARK-TO-MARKET: Retail surges, but trend to e-commerce continues
* North to freedom on Illinois’ Underground Railroad
* Collinsville doughnut shop relocates; new furniture store opens in O’Fallon
* B-N youth, adults honored for actions with MLK awards
* Burnham Mansion tour

* Palatine homeowner ignites fire while fixing leaky pipe with torch
* The Latest: VP to troops: 'You deserve better' than shutdown
* AFN to broadcast NFL's championship games despite shutdown
* Kyrgios upbeat despite falling short yet again at home Slam
* Nadal, Dimitrov advance to Australian Open quarterfinals

* Suburban Democrats line up to challenge Ro...
* Bipartisan Illinois criticism follows Trum...
* Shutdown Stalemate As Immigration Negotiat...
* 'Time' Magazine's Powerful Cover Features ...
* Letter: Talk to tax preparer about GOP tax...
* Our view: End patronage at Algonquin Towns...
* Letters to the editor: Election commission...
* Teacher raised in Yorkville running agains...
* Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and...
* Lawmakers back renaming Warrenville post o...

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* Durbin: Trump's vulgar comments 'much diff......
* Full Durbin Interview: 'I wish the preside......
* 'This Week' Transcript 1-21-18: Marc Short......

* This RSS feed URL is deprecated...
* Tammy Duckworth Scorches Donald Trump As '......

* Observing Epiphany With A Plunge In The Lake
* Michael Pfeiffer, Former Crew Server, Missing
* Don't Get Conned By The Armani Jacket Scam
* Sketchbook.
* Napkin sketch.
* #RAW25
* Thank you Sen. Donne Trotter
* Chance The Rapper Visited Uptown Last Night
* “Chicago” West?
* Donald Trump And The Rhetoric Of Dictators

* Illinois EPA Announces Upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
* First Lady Launches Illinois Family Connects

* Samsung Galaxy S9 internal change, Razer Project Linda dates & more – Pocketnow Daily
* Women’s March embraces collaborative social app Crunchet
* Portrait Camera App 'Focos' Gains Real Lens Optical Effects and Improved Shooting Mode
* Shell wants to turn smartwatches into smartphones on a wing (or two)
* Gboard goes big on GIF creation in the suggestion bar
* iOS 11 is now on 65 percent of devices
* FCC sees US variants of Nokia 6 (2018) or Nokia 7

* Getting ready for Soxfest 2018
* White Sox seeking new flagship radio home
* Engel working to steady barrel in Year 2
* WLS parent company looking to end White Sox radio deal
* Inbox: Who replaces Rodon in the rotation?
* 2018 South Side Sox Hall of Fame Ballot