Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » *** UPDATED x1 *** SoS White suspends registration reminder mailers
*** UPDATED x1 *** SoS White suspends registration reminder mailers

Monday, Sep 28, 2015

* Press release…

Jesse White Announces Office to Suspend Mailing Vehicle Registration Renewal Reminder Notices Due to the Budget Stalemate

Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White announced today that his office will suspend mailing out vehicle registration renewal reminder notices to the public due to the lack of a state budget.

White noted that by suspending this service, which will save approximately $450,000 per month, his office will be able to prolong the ability to mail vehicle registration renewal stickers, titles and license plates to vehicle owners for a few months longer before the postage account is depleted.

“The lack of a Fiscal Year 2016 budget is adversely impacting the Secretary of State’s office, and threatens to jeopardize the services we provide to the public,” said White. “Without a state budget in place, we are doing what we can to manage so that we may serve the people of Illinois for as long as possible. As a result, difficult decisions like suspending renewal reminder notice mailings are decisions we are being forced to make.”

White also noted if the office’s postage account runs out before January, he will be unable to mail the annual license to auto dealers, which they need to operate in Illinois legally, as well as critical incorporation paperwork needed for businesses in Illinois.

Last week, White issued a letter to the governor and legislative leaders outlining concerns on how the budget stalemate is negatively impacting his office. Some of the concerns included critical computer maintenance and data security issues as well as Driver and Vehicle Services facility operations. White is determined to prioritize difficult cuts to ensure his office can provide core services to the public for as long as possible.

White encouraged vehicle owners to be mindful of their vehicle registration status to ensure they renew in a timely manner and avoid driving on expired vehicle stickers. He also emphasized that more vehicle owners will be forced to visit facilities to renew their vehicle registration stickers because without a reminder notice they will not have a pin number needed to renew online. However, people who have signed up to receive electronic reminder notices will continue to receive them by email. To sign up for this service, please visit www.cyberdriveillinois.com.

“I urge the governor and the legislature to come together and solve this budget crisis so that my office, and all of state government, can continue providing services to the people of Illinois without interruption,” said White.

*** UPDATE *** From comments…

Not necessarily. There’s a work-around. You can renew via e-mail by using the PIN that’s printed on the registration card in your glove box.

1. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 1:57 pm:

===“I urge the governor and the legislature to come together and solve this budget crisis so that my office, and all of state government, can continue providing services to the people of Illinois without interruption,” said (Secretary Jesse) White.===

That is what a Constituional does.., to keep all this at the Governing level.

It’s about how the lack of budget is effecting the state, with no qualifiers.

2. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:00 pm:

I wrote awhile back that empty postage meters could be the last straw. I kinda hope I’m right. Something has got to give.

3. - Norseman - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:03 pm:

AA, maybe Rauner will get UPS to provide postage on an IOU basis. (/s)

4. - Muscular - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:04 pm:

5. - AC - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:05 pm:

VanillaMan, please offer us an update from General White, Fort SOS.

6. - 47th Ward - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:07 pm:

The SoS just put out the SOS.

7. - Norseman - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:07 pm:

This will get a few folks in a pickle. It’s the rare person who will remember to renew their licenses without these notices. I see some traffic tickets coming to some unsuspecting people.

Since Rauner is creating this problem, perhaps he can use some of his slush money to pay for some PSAs to remind folks to check their renewal status.

8. - Anonymous - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:08 pm:

I sure would like to know what my 105 dollars tag pay’s for. Come on Gov.

9. - GraduatedCollegeStudent - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:08 pm:

===This government efficiency should have happened a long time ago. Perhaps SOS should ask for e-mail addresses so if the public wants a reminder, SOS can provide this service at almost no cost.===

With the added fiscal benefit to the state of increased revenues in fines, fees, and penalties due to the fact that even fewer people read their email or have it go straight to the spam filter.

Brilliant!

10. - Anonish - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:13 pm:

I have heard that the Attorney General’s office in Thompson has run almost run out of toner. Also that Workman’s Comp expects to be out of postage any day now.
    How long until there is a full on barter market for paper clips and pens in the atrium?

11. - AC - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:13 pm:

==I sure would like to know what my 105 dollars tag pay’s for.==

Fewer services than it previously did, and income taxes will likely be higher than 5% once this is resolved. It’s a government that’s as rational as a set of voters who supported Rauner, along with increasing minimum wage and taxing millionaires.

12. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:18 pm:

Just a press release
    A release sent by me
    Another lonely day
    With no one here but me
    More loneliness
    Than any man could bear
    Rescue me before I fall into despair

I’ll send an SOS to the world [2x]
    I hope that someone gets my [3x]
    Release in an email [2x]

Eight months has passed since we had some hope
    But I should have known this right from the start
    Only hope can keep us together
    Budgets mend our crunch
    But budgets break leverage

I’ll send an SOS to the world [2x]
    I hope that someone gets my [3x]
    Release in an email [4x]

Walked out this morning
    Don’t believe what I saw
    Thirteen million registrations
    Right outside my door
    Seems I’m not alone at being alone
    Thirteen million Illinoisians
    Wanting a budget done

I’ll send an SOS to the world [2x]
    I hope that someone gets my [3x]
    Release in an email [4x]

Sending out an SOS [16x]

13. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:18 pm:

Next thing all the retirees will be asked to return all the staplers, etc. they borrowed from the office upon retirement if they want to get another check. #NotMyRedSwingline

14. - Birdseed - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:18 pm:

We’ll save $5.4 million a year by not sending renewal reminders? More like this, please.

15. - Wordslinger - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:20 pm:

Muscular, hadn’t thought about it that way.

In fact, the Rauner game plan is so efficient, they’re looking at spending all of FY16 revenue by end of March.

16. - sal-says - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:21 pm:

Maybe White should shut down services & keep paying workers following Raunner’s ‘precidents’ at the Museum & shooting complex.

17. - Politix - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:27 pm:

And the state will enjoy a nice uptick in fine revenue resulting from late fees, etc. Rauner couldn’t have planned it better.

18. - DuPage - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:27 pm:

Mr. White,
    If postage is actually going to run out, e-mail to the dealers to send some type of a registered pre-paid return envelope label to your office. Or, if the dealer licenses can be printed at the SOS local branch facilities, have the dealers come in to pick them up.

19. - Precinct Captain - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:28 pm:

Businesses not being able to incorporate? Shake ‘em on up Bruce.

20. - AlabamaShake - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:30 pm:

BTW… anyone know how the state is paying its water, electric, and gas bills? Or are they just not getting paid?

21. - SAP - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:33 pm:

==maybe Rauner will get UPS to provide postage on an IOU basis. (/s) == Without snark, I believe that this is already happening at some agencies.

22. - illini - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:33 pm:

Sorry to say, but I rely on these reminders to keep me legal - how many of us know exactly when we need to renew? Hoping I happen to notice and do not have to pay fines or late fees. Thank you BVR.

23. - Jocko - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:37 pm:

24. - Cubs in '15 - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:38 pm:

OW–Clever reference to ‘The Police’.

25. - Demoralized - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:39 pm:

== how many of us know exactly when we need to renew==

I don’t mean to be flippant, but look at the sticker on your license plate.

26. - Frenchie Mendoza - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:41 pm:

I don’t mean to be flippant, but look at the sticker on your license plate.

Right. And then what? You need a pin code and special code to renew over the phone. The mailers give the pin code and access code.

27. - Demoralized - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:44 pm:

==Right. And then what?==

You don’t have to do it by mail. You can go to the facility. Or possibly the bank if they still do that. Yes, this is an inconvenience. But it can be dealt with. Should we have to? No. But it is what it is.

28. - Dome Gnome - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:45 pm:

This reminds me; I only have a few days left to buy my sticker.

29. - Demoralized - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:46 pm:

==Right. And then what?==

Also, do what it says above. Sign up to receive e-mail notices. Problem solved.

I’ve been hammering away at looking for ways to ONLY provide correspondence via e-mail. This is the 21st Century. We don’t need to use mail so much anymore.

30. - A guy - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:48 pm:

Even “with” the reminder, I’ve been tardy. I don’t always see all the mail that comes into the house as Mrs. Guy takes care of much of that. The cops have always been pretty good about an unofficial, “go get it” or a more formal warning if you’re pretty recently out of date. If we could save a cool half mil skipping the postage on these, I’d be all for it.

31. - Hit or Miss - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 2:57 pm:

===Right. And then what?===

Just drive to any currency exchange near your home. For a small service fee they will issue you a new sticker on the spot.

32. - Emanuel Can't - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:04 pm:

If that’s the best pressure point he’s got, Jesse needs to check back in with Speaker Madigan for further instructions. Use email. Or better yet rely upon people to remember for themselves. The IRS doesn’t send out reminders.

33. - Wordslinger - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:06 pm:

There are suburbs that will write you up under municipal ordinance for an expired sticker and hook you up. It’s a revenue stream, the cost of the violation and the tow fee to get your car out of the yard.

Dont count on Officer Friendly.

And this isn’t a “money-saving idea” it’s a consequence of the budget-hostage situation.

34. - Frank Ambrose - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:19 pm:

Nice to know, but without those renewal notices to mail in everyone will have to visit the SoS Office because you can’t even renew online without the PIN that comes on the renewal notice. If they don’t have the funds to mail out the renewal notices, how much longer will the SoS Offices be open??? Seems like a big Carch-22

35. - A guy - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:21 pm:

The most eye popping thing in this story is that this state spends $450K per month or nearly $5.5 million per year to remind people about their stickers. That is money that could be better spent in a day and age of email. Wow.

36. - Liberty - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:23 pm:

Will voters think this a bipartisan solution? Hard to believe it cost that much to send notices.

37. - Jackrabbit - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:25 pm:

Hey Emanuel Can’t:
    Every year the IRS mails me a 1040 Form. That’s my reminder that its time to pay Uncle Sam.

38. - Archiesmom - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:31 pm:

My registration expires at the end of this month. Good thing I saw this, because it jogged my memory. My email renewal notice was in my spam file. I just renewed online. Whew! But what if I didn’t have access to email?

39. - Demoralized - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:35 pm:

==That is money that could be better spent in a day and age of email. Wow.==

40. - Norseman - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:37 pm:

=== The cops have always been pretty good about an unofficial, “go get it” or a more formal warning if you’re pretty recently out of date. ===

My son was 3 days expired (because notice was not sent due to clerical error) and got a ticket. Went to take care of it and was in line with someone who only received warning for expired license for a month. Consistency is not always guaranteed.

Lesson for all who read this post is to put a reminder on your smart phone or your paper calendar.

41. - Way South of I-80 - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:43 pm:

Capitol Fax readers are the exception of course, but there is a huge population that does not read the paper etc and will never hear about this. Most expect to receive that postcard reminder and will never think to renew registration on their own. Illinois continues to do the turnaround train wreck.

42. - Norseman - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:45 pm:

A guy, it would be good cost cutting move if there was a guarantee that everyone had access to email.

43. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:45 pm:

44. - GraduatedCollegeStudent - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:45 pm:

=====That is money that could be better spent in a day and age of email. Wow.==

I’ve suggested over and over that we should send more stuff electronically and have been met with the question Archiesmom asks: “What if I didn’t have e-mail?” To which I answer: “Tell them to get e-mail.” Is that crass? Probably. But the issues I deal with are business people who should have e-mail. In that universe as far as I’m concerned they need to sign up for e-mail or they are S.O.L. ===

The difference being that none of them provides a public service that could potentially result in fines being delivered to their consumers without their taking prompt action.

My own (anecdotal) experience is that if your primary/almost exclusive way of interacting with your “customer” base is email, particularly without a voluntary opt in from the customer, you’re probably engaged in some sort of predatory activity, not delivering a service. Email is too readily ignored or missed to be used for something like this.

45. - IlliniLaw - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:50 pm:

If people renew online, will SoS have sufficient postage to mail the stickers back to them?

46. - Frank Ambrose - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:51 pm:

Rich:
    From the SoS site:
    Where do I get Registration ID/PIN?
    Your Registration ID and PIN numbers are located on the Renewal Notice you received in the mail. If you do not have a renewal notice, please call the Public Inquiry Division at 800-252-8980 to obtain your Registration ID and PIN number.

If SoS is running out of money, what are the chances this phone number will be able to be accessed by those who need the PIN. There is nothing about a PIN from the current registration being valid for the renewal.

It would be nice if it was….

47. - Anon221 - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:51 pm:

Like to the trebuchet idea!

48. - Norseman - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:54 pm:

=== But-whaddaya do with folks like AA’s beloved 80 years-young mother-in-law, who doesn’t have and isn’t gonna get e-mail? ===

Good thing she has a well-informed son-in-law looking after her interests. :)

49. - Vogon Logic - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:55 pm:

Come people - everyone has access to sub-ether radio:

“There’s no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now.”

50. - Norseman - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:56 pm:

=== Like to the trebuchet idea! ===

But will the trebuchet repairman take IOUs?

51. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:02 pm:

It’s a money grab in the first place that car dealers have to get new sets of “dealer plates” every year. I’ve heard the arguments that they’re not suitable for stickering, etc and it’s bureaucratic baloney. Make ‘em good for a couple years at a time and start saving postage. Keep the fees where they are-not too many poor car dealers in my neck of the woods.

52. - illini - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:03 pm:

I sure miss JBT right now - her wisdom and guidance are severely lacking at this time!

53. - RNUG - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:03 pm:

- Vogon Logic -

You left off “Don’t Panic!”

54. - Anon221 - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:16 pm:

Well, when the trebuchet breaks, the Museum will be able to use the wood to hear the building complex. There- problem solved!

55. - Anon221 - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:17 pm:

Heat not hear…. doggone keyboard!

56. - hisgirlfriday - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:26 pm:

57. - hisgirlfriday - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:28 pm:

wants not wasnt ugh

58. - A guy - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:33 pm:

===Arthur Andersen - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 3:45 pm:

Saying “switch to e-mail” is a logical step. But-whaddaya do with folks like AA’s beloved 80 years-young mother-in-law, who doesn’t have and isn’t gonna get e-mail?====

I’d have her son in law drive her around! lol

There could be a few exceptions OR they could offer an alternate email (child or son in law) Schools do it if parents aren’t home. We can work around this for $5.5 Million a year and send the money to 80 year olds dealing with greater crises than these.

BTW, it’s the 80 year olds who get these things taken care of 2 months ahead of time. lol

59. - northernwatersports - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:35 pm:

–”Maybe they can borrow a trebuchet from the museum and launch reminders into local town squares.”–
    CapFax post of the year nominee !!!!!

60. - Blue dog dem - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:49 pm:

Maybe the SOS police won’t have time to pull over mom and pop delivery trucks as they cross the state line. I am embarrassed for our state when I see this.

61. - crazybleedingheart - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 5:07 pm:

==- hisgirlfriday - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 4:26 pm:

if one wasnt to make doing business in the state of illinois as difficult as possible, refusing to approve a sos budget is a great way to go about that==

Don’t worry, “GTCR GOLDER RAUNER, L.L.C.” already has a license in good standing and no startup businesses are happening because Illinois hasn’t yet Turned Around.

62. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 5:28 pm:

Guy, she’s sharp as a tack and probably does have her sticker on 2 months ahead of time. She’ll probably be driving me around first.

I think there is merit to a senior exemption to an e-mail notice requirement.

63. - illini - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 5:54 pm:

Interesting comments since I got back on this link - email is not the answer. I get an email bill from my land line phone/internet provider 3 1/2 weeks before it is due - and, guess what - I missed making an online payment in time and am paying a penalty.

The written/mailed notices stay where I will see them until taken care of. Email notices get lost far too easily in most computers.

64. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 8:01 pm:

Thanks, - Cubs in ‘15 -

65. - Flynn's mom - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 9:18 pm:

OW, I’m seeing an HBO episode. No one in state government can get to the office due to SoS shut down. Bruce can’t stand to be home all day with Diana who continuously tries to get her state worker to come to her house to listen to Bruce’s rants about the news and how it’s all Madigan’s fault.

66. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 10:12 pm:

- Flynn’s mom -,

Usually it’s the irony of Bruce and Diana working against the others’ agenda is the secret to their HBO series. I’d ha veto think on it, but you laid out a solid episode, that’s for sure.

67. - Ryan Evans - Monday, Sep 28, 15 @ 10:52 pm:

Stop sending reminders. What a ridiculous cost associated with that. Even when budgets get set this should not be something we spend money on.

68. - Anon2U - Tuesday, Sep 29, 15 @ 8:12 am:

Meh. If you can’t READ on you DL when it expires maybe you shouldn’t be driving. Stop this practice all together and save the money. You know, maybe let people take personal responsibility instead of nanny-stating everything.

69. - Flynn's mom - Tuesday, Sep 29, 15 @ 8:15 am:

Gotcha OW

70. - DuPage Grandma - Tuesday, Sep 29, 15 @ 8:58 am:

I believe the renewal notices include EPA Testing if required to renew (every other year.) Don’t wait until the last minute to find out.

71. - Product of the '60's - Tuesday, Sep 29, 15 @ 9:19 am:

There’s a point in ending the mailing & requiring you to take the responsibility to go get the renewal sticker. It could be a big $$ raiser for the local constable. I once lost or forget my mailer but got to drive around for 6 months before being pulled over just because of the expired sticker.

As a young lad remember my suburban community in St.Louis would have the cops at a couple of major interchanges on the day our town’s new local sticker came due. If the local police cracked down pulling over everyone eventually it would get thru. But, for about a year or two I could then speed by as that is all the cops would be enforcing.

72. - GraduatedCollegeStudent - Tuesday, Sep 29, 15 @ 9:32 am:

Looked up some stats this morning (for everyone bellyaching about the expense of this service). As of 2010, there were 5.7 million registered private and commercial vehicles in the state. This breaks down to roughly less than a $1.00 per vehicle per reminder. Considering how much the annual renewal fee is, continuing the service should not be too much of a fiscal burden on the DMV/State Department. Certainly not so much of a burden that we should shift to predatory business tactics such as relying on such an easily ignored (or spam filtered) method as email.

73. - realworld - Wednesday, Sep 30, 15 @ 1:21 pm:

There should never be another notice sent out in the mail. This is a waste of money. Go to email. People need to be responsible, after they get a few tickets maybe just maybe they will start paying attention. If they don’t maybe they shouldn’t be driving a car.

74. - Professional Skeptic - Wednesday, Sep 30, 15 @ 10:55 pm:

The Secretary of State collects fees of nearly $2.225 billion which are up $35.5 million from fiscal year 2013. The $35.5 million increase in fee revenue can be partially attributed to the registration fee for first division motor vehicles, which with reported fee revenues of $876.5 million for fiscal year 2014, increased by $12.6 million. Source: IOC Fee Imposition Report 2014.

So, its not an issue of not collecting enough in fees, it’s the appropriating of monies for the postage. The cost of the postage,while it does seem high is marginal compared to the revenues generated. I do think that the SOS should push for other options of renewal notifications to trim the printing, postage and staff costs. We do live in a digital age, you know.

While we are at it, how about doing away with all those goofy license plates.

* Janus apparently no longer loves his state job, hires on with Illinois Policy Institute
* Pritzker meets with moms who've lost their kids to street violence, police shootings
* Caption contest!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Campaign stuff: Morrison; Ives; Skillicorn; Nybo; Rooney; Curran; Breen; Frese
* "And admit that the waters/Around you have grown"
* A tiny bit of good news from Moody's
* Proft files suit so his independent expenditure committee can coordinate with campaigns after caps busted
* Cook shifts governor's race from "Toss Up" to "Lean Democrat" - Third-party candidates "the tipping point"
* Unsolicited advice
* The impasse and the damage done
* Entire IPHCA executive committee resigns, lawyer let go after racism controversy
* Chicago to get its first public law school, but is it a wise move?
* Doom and gloom abounds, but a new pension idea emerges
* Another lawsuit filed in Quincy veterans' home deaths: "For a year and a half, he loved that place. And it killed him"
* *** LIVE COVERAGE ***

* SVM EDITORIAL: Term limits: Beware of unintende.....
* McDaniel-Hale: The decision to smoke is a perso.....
* In Bellwood, Fritz Kaegi Blasts 'Machine Po.....
* Barickman Cautious About Trump Impact on IL Ele.....
* Democrats try to rebuild the state party from t.....
* New law better protects DCFS workers..
* Illinois Makes Its IT Department a Permanent Fi.....
* Dyslexia guidebook bill signed into law..
* Naperville Now 07-20-18..
* Is Pritzker the beginning of the end for Madigan?..

* EXCHANGE: A family has deep roots in baseball and softball
* EXCHANGE: For 122 years, observatory has demystified the sky
* Northern Illinois man convicted of murdering sister-in-law
* Man cleared of murder has trouble depositing compensation
* UI seeks to improve access for transfer students
* Watch cop revive man during fentanyl scare at Illinois strip club
* AP FACT CHECK: Kansas not the ‘sanctuary state’ of Midwest
* Woman injured by lightning strike at Country Thunder
* UI seeks improving access for transfer students
* Cases handled by indicted 2 Chicago officers being dropped

* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Incumbents hold big fundraising leads in central Illinois legislative races
* Springfield man wins Illinois State Police logo contest
* Rauner 'deeply troubled' by Trump's Helsinki comments
* Rauner signs bill to ease physician assistant hiring
* Bill taking Illinois out of voter registration system vetoed

* Home Run Pizza CEO dies
* Home Run Inn Pizza CEO dies
* Your neighbor isn't a business
* The future of the U.S. looks a lot like Chicago
* Cook County board moves to prevent repeat of pop tax fiasco

* Man, 25, shot in Gresham
* Police: Man dies in fatal car crash in Washington Park
* 1 killed, 6 wounded Friday in city gun violence
* Man in critical condition in West Garfield Park shooting
* Man, 34, in critical condition in Humboldt Park shooting
* Unpublished notes from ’94 meeting with Mandela donated to Northwestern library
* James Shields sharp, but Sox’ offense fails to deliver in loss to Mariners
* Girl found, returned to family after going missing from McKinley Park
* Dear Abby: Don’t linger in store when we’re trying to close
* Horoscope for July 21, 2018

* White Sox strike early but can't solve Wade LeBlanc in 3-1 loss to Mariners
* Fan who survived heart attack at Wrigley Field returning to thank Cubs employee who helped him
* Democratic socialism surging in the age of Trump
* Pelosi: Putin isn't welcome in Congress
* Manny Machado shines in Dodgers debut as LA beats Brewers 6-4
* Sanders and new Democratic star Ocasio-Cortez wade into GOP-heavy Kansas
* Ticket mix-up put family on ill-fated Missouri tourist boat; vigils held for 17 dead
* GOP senators cave to Trump, drop attempt to punish telecom giant ZTE
* Danny Trevathan and Roquan Smith miss Bears’ first ‘slop-fest’ practice
* Residents begin to rebuild in Iowa after tornadoes injure 17

» The Week in Review: Public Outcry Over Police-Involved Shooting
» ‘Ali: A Life’; Sexual Harassment In Bars; NPR’s Sam Sanders
» WBEZ’s Chicago and Illinois News Roundup: July 20, 2018
» UIC To Acquire John Marshall Law School, Creating The City’s First Public Law School
» State Week: Russia Reactions, Gun Laws, Campaign Cash
» #660 PJ Morton & Opinions on Drake
» July 19, 2018 - Full Show
» Berwyn Homeowners Squeezed By School District Miscalculation
» How Conservatism Won In Wisconsin; Illinois Election Security; Special Olympics 50th Anniversary
» Illinois Prison Officials Accused of Abusing Transgender Inmate

* Scott Reeder: Understanding is what journalism should be about
* Counterpoint: His pick is bad news indeed for health care, women, consumers and unions
* Point: Kavanaugh is truly a 'judge's judge' and precisely what our nation needs
* Eugene Robinson: The 'deep state' stands between us and the abyss
* Marginal amounts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Moody's gives Illinois finances a 'stable' outlook
* Illinois Army National Guard soldiers return home
* Marginal amouts of legionella detected in Stratton Building
* Under the Dome Podcast: Gun bills, Quincy, Trump-Putin reaction
* Bernard Schoenburg: Bourne, Clark clash over missed votes

* Eureka Library expands genealogy, history resources
* Births for Saturday, July 21, 2018
* Carolene Powenski
* Mary Imhoff
* Wayne Rex Linck
* Doris Rose Heiple
* SIUC to host observation of Mars, which is at its closest, brightest in 15 years
* Illinois Lottery drawing for FRIDAY, JULY 20
* Now showing: Blue Grass Drive-In Theater braces for first-ever RAGBRAI event
* PHOTOS: Relay For Life at Richland Community College

* Cespedes returns, Familia may depart and Mets beat Yanks 7-5
* Indians get a Hand when new relievers join them after break
* Firefighters: Minimal chemical involvement in Elgin water treatment facility blaze
* Keuchel's no-hit bid ends in 7th on nearly-caught liner
* Price, Red Sox win again by blanking Tigers 1-0

* Illinois Department of Public Health Conti...
* 7-year-old Matteson girl goes to Washingto...
* Why Joe Crowley's Loss Could Be Good N...
* What we know about Russia's election h...
* Ernst: President Trump 'not upholding ...
* House Democrats Reveal 2018's Slogan: ...
* House Dems, with Bustos' help, unveil ...
* Limbaugh laughs at Dems' midterm motto...
* Democrats Announce New Slogan for Midterms...
* 'For the People': House Democrats&...

* How area members of Congress voted on voti......
* Family reunifications: 450 down, roughly 1......
* Ballot security battle heats up already ho......
* In IL-6, Roskam and Casten clash over elec......
* GOP accuses Dems of stalling Kavanaugh aft......

* Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez B......
* How area members of Congress voted on voti......
* Will Route 66 become a National Historic T......
* Tammy Duckworth Wishes She Wasn'......
* Alton Fire Department awarded $227273 grant...

* The sad state of the sandwich at Logan Square deli Rosie’s Sidekick
* Rahm and Rauner's phony Ryan feud: Don’t be fooled by the Twitter barbs
* There’s always an issue we can quarrel over with regards to city street names
* Lies, Damned Lies and Rankings
* 5 things every college must know about cloud computing
* Accreditor clears path for $1.9 billion Strayer-Capella merger
* EdX Survey Finds That about 1/3 of Americans Ages 25 – 44 Have Completely Changed Fields Since Starting Their First Job Post-College
* Creatively nudging faculty members to expand use of immersive technology
* Making Learning Without Borders a Reality
* Weiss Hospital To Get New Owner

* IDPH Investigation Continues As Foodborne Illnesses Increase
* Gov. Rauner signs HB 5611
* Summit for Success: IDOT providing tools, opportunity for disadvantaged businesses
* Illinois Payrolls Jump +18,100
* Liquor Control Commission Underage Compliance Report for Cook County

* OxygenOS 5.0.4 for OnePlus 3/3T brings July security patch and camera improvements
* Designers, don’t be afraid to let robots design
* Pocket Nightcap: Buy the damn MacBook Pro (stick with me here)
* Xiaomi: 5 things you didn’t know about the Apple of the East
* The Galaxy Note 9 leak you need to know what to expect
* Reward yourself this summer with the ultimate wireless earbuds — now 55% off
* FCC now accepting your petitions on whether T-Mobile - Sprint merger should go through

* Shields outdueled in stellar night on mound
* Mariners beat White Sox, get back on winning track
* Mariners 3, White Sox 1: New half, same loss
* Mariners 3, White Sox 1: New half, same loss
* Abreu happy to talk about ASG, not rumors
* Servais, Mariners living the dream as White Sox season a nig...
* LeBlanc, relievers shut down White Sox in Mariners' 3-1 win